• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Mourning father tells how son descended into mental illness after cannabis use

I would love to try pure CBD. It seems like it would have perfect effects for me: anxiolytic, sedative, and potential anti-cancer benefits. If Wikipedia is to be believed, it's not even regulated in the US.

Well, researchers have found what they believe could be CBD in flax, so you might get your chance.

I've had good experiences with weed that other people consider terrible and I can also get away with loading a tiny speck of that damnable good weed everyone prefers into my pipe.

I wonder if most people who experience cannabis anxiety are also real lightweights. I too can get totally blasted from the most miniscule of amounts. I don't think I could ever smoke enough to develop a tolerance.

Overall though, the anxiety is just too consistent for me to risk it anymore. Maybe someday I'll be able to buy a THC free strain that's better suited for my taste.

I heard somewhere that c. ruderalis might be high in CBD. It might also be better suited for growing in harsher conditions than either c. sativa or c. indica.

^That's pretty interesting. If the concentration was high enough, a supplement company might be able to sell CBD as an extract of flax. Though I would imagine if that happened that the FDA would swoop in to protect us from it at least until a pharmaceutical company could market an absurdly overpriced version.

It seems like people with low tolerances have the most problems. I imagine it's a combination of lightweights being more susceptible to paranoia and that people prone to paranoia from weed are unlikely to develop a substantial tolerance. A few people I know smoke a couple blunts in a row and they have such a high tolerance that it doesn't seem to affect them at all. It seems kind of pointless to me but maybe they get something out of it. I can't imagine it's worth all the money they spend though.

It seems to be growing more and more likely that weed will be fully legalized eventually. I have a feeling that, despite the hard core sativa love that's common today, the general population would be more likely to enjoy a high CBD strain. The sellers would prob maximize variety for maximum sales. I don't think I would smoke an extremely high CBD strain since it wouldn't produce a pronounced high but I do love the taste of weed in baked products for some reason. I'm feeling optimistic that it will happen in my lifetime and with any luck soon.

^That's pretty interesting. If the concentration was high enough, a supplement company might be able to sell CBD as an extract of flax. Though I would imagine if that happened that the FDA would swoop in to protect us from it at least until a pharmaceutical company could market an absurdly overpriced version.

I'm pretty sure CBD is a controlled substance. Schedule I includes:

(31) Tetrahydrocannabinols
Meaning tetrahydrocannabinols naturally contained in a plant of the genus Cannabis (cannabis plant), as well as synthetic equivalents of the substances contained in the cannabis plant, or in the resinous extractives of such plant, and/or synthetic substances, derivatives, and their isomers with similar chemical structure and pharmacological activity to those substances contained in the plant.

I had to ask the DEA for permission to use CBD in research. They include it in their exemption paperwork. Therefore it seems they interpret it as a Schedule I substance.

What confuses me the most about thus article is it does not state what mental illness he had, if he was ever diagnosises and why the hell did he die?
If drug abuse had triggered some sort of dementia, mania, schizophrenia(spectrum), or dissociative disorder these diseases are not fatal. (directly atleast while suicide is more common among patients with mental illness, the diseases themselves aside from dementia type diseases like Alzheimer's are not life threatening.)
Also according to the American Psychological Association drug use can trigger mental illness but the consensus is that drug use "triggers" an underlying or dormant mental illness, they do not cause the illness itself. There are substances that can cause mental illness, for instance lead and mercury(which causes the famous Mad Hatters disease/syndrome) but cannabis and lsd are not known to be causes of mental illness.
^
whoops just remembered one exception to what I was explaining above: amphetamine or stimulant psychosis! He probably had stimulant psychosis from cocaine use when he was taken in. Generally this psychosis(which is extremely hard to differentiate, by an/the observer from schizophrenia, hence why a drug screen is essential upon intake) is not permanent and will not last for very long. Im talking days, maybe weeks but unlikely.

Shit, I didn't know CBD was Schedule I. LOL, my bad!

Kind of ridiculous, though. I mean, I'll bet due to allosteric modulation at the delta and mu opiate sites it has recreational potential, but not more so than the legal poppy seeds/pods people routinely use to get high. Not to mention that those without a psychotic disorder would probably find it somewhat dysphoric due to CB antagonism.

I'm pretty sure CBD is a controlled substance. Schedule I includes:

I had to ask the DEA for permission to use CBD in research. They include it in their exemption paperwork. Therefore it seems they interpret it as a Schedule I substance.

Ah that's too bad. I was just relying on what Wikipedia said. There's really no good reason for that but then again schedule 1 for the whole plant is ridiculous anyway.

That's pretty interesting. If the concentration was high enough, a supplement company might be able to sell CBD as an extract of flax. Though I would imagine if that happened that the FDA would swoop in to protect us from it at least until a pharmaceutical company could market an absurdly overpriced version.

That's the problem with handing control over to pharmaceutical companies: they overcharge for their products. I understand that they need to pay for all their research, licenses, marketing, etc., but after all those expenses have been paid for, they should lower their prices.

It seems to be growing more and more likely that weed will be fully legalized eventually. I have a feeling that, despite the hard core sativa love that's common today, the general population would be more likely to enjoy a high CBD strain.

I think you're right, though it still won't be desirable to the "pot makes u dumb" crowd. (Who, incidentally, are usually big partakers of alcohol, which only gives you the illusion of not feeling dumb.)

I don't think I would smoke an extremely high CBD strain since it wouldn't produce a pronounced high but I do love the taste of weed in baked products for some reason.

According to many, CBD modifies the effect of THC, so it might still be beneficial to smoke a strain with a higher CBD/THC ratio. If CBD truly has antipsychotic effects, then the more you take with your THC, the better :)

I hate when people blame all their problems on drugs. Such a pathetic cop out.

^There's definitely a school of thought which emphasizes that.

However, some people are more susceptible to drugs than others (and with that, their negative side effects). A good example would be the people who can smoke weed like its nothing compared to those who get a legitimate bad trip from it. Another one would be people taking MDMA and feeling fine afterwards versus the people who take it and have a horrible, month-long comedown.

^ I think some people are very weak-minded, but I suppose there's some people who can't help that.