• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Mixing Benzos (Xanax) with Diphenhydramine and/or DXM

JasperTheReckless

Bluelighter
Is it safe to take 4mg Xanax with a recreational dose of Diphenhydramine (500mg) or DXM (750mg) ?

I was wondering if it might take that paranoid edge off of the DPH trip.

With the Dex, I was looking for a bit more euphoria.

Ugh.. I really, really don't advise using DPH recreationally. It is horrible for your body, fucks with your heart and circulation, and can give long-term HPPD and paranoia problems.

Have you used DXM together with DPH before? And what is your xanax tolerance like? 4mg is a pretty heavy dose.

In general, xanax is pretty safe, though DPH is a bit strange in terms of its downer effects. Start up with a lower dose, 0.5mg or so and see how you feel. If you take it sublingually, it shouldn't take longer than half an hour to fully kick in, so you can redose if you feel you need more while gauging your own bodies reaction to the combo.

Am I outta the loop or is 750 mgs DXM a pretty hefty dose?
Anyway, I wouldn't waste a good Xanny high. Those are pretty good by themselves, IMO.

I have a pretty extensive DPH and DXM history. I can function (to some extent) on a full bottle of Delsym (888mg).

DPH has been my DOC (drug of choice) on and off for a couple years.

I seem to have messed up my tolerance to DXM, by doing mega doses, so I work with what I got.

I have mixed DPH and DXM, I like the crushing body high, I tend to like drugs with a heavy body load.

Last edited:
Also, I am trying to find the magic of Xanies, I know they are a subtle drug, but what am I looking for when I take them, a relaxation type deal? It helps when I know what to expect.

Benzos are very subtle. If you eat a shitload expecting to get fukktup, chances are you'll suddenly time travel 3 days into the future and lose your clothes (and memory) in the process.

If you haven't got much experience with xanax, I recommend just using it by itself first before you try using it in exotic combinations.

I have had a wonderful last two days on a 2mg dose, and a 1mg boost later on, I was simply curious if I could pull anymore out of it.

I had my Klonopin time machine ordeal a year back, lost a whole two days and had sore knees from beating up coffee tables. --> It was before I figured out they aren't your normal psychoactives.

Before I forget to restate, would the Xanies help with the paranoia on a DPH trip? If not, i'll save them for a day all to themselves :)

Anyone know why we have a tendency to end up rather scantily clothed when blacking out on Benzos, Deleriants and Sed/Hyps (Ambien) ?

I don't want to be that guy and ask a ton of questions at once, but are there any things I could implement I could imply to reduce the risk of blacking out? With DPH I have had some success using Sudafed to remain alert while tripping.

Last edited:
Also, I am trying to find the magic of Xanies, I know they are a subtle drug, but what am I looking for when I take them, a relaxation type deal? It helps when I know what to expect.
Low rec doses for me give relaxation. High rec doses make me feel relaxed as hell, like smokin a blunt w/out the laughin, munchies...but it also causes memory lapses when I over do it. I do something, seemin sober to others, but I forget doin it anywhere from within minutes to the next day.

Nah, don't try and chase a high Jasper, once you get a comfortable dose, stick with it. If you go much higher, you could end up just blacking out and losing your memory, and the relaxation aspect of it seems to have a ceiling dose before it becomes just physical wobbliness.

lol, im sorry but i just had to laugh at this one....

please don't take DPH in those doses, it is not a recreational drug...

if u want to sleep then ~ 4 mg alprazolam + 25mg DPH should be golden; tolerance dependent but as noted above DPH is not recreational! and DXM can be but for many people is not pleasant...

Using a higher dose of benzo may make the ...'trips?' more bearable but will overall be bad for your tolerance as well as dangerous in light of mixing so many sedatives/dissociatives

Another problem would be dealing with potential over-sedation while too dissociated to realize what's happening and having a potentially fatal incident because of too much respiratory depression.

Listen to these folks, OP; they know what they're talkin' about.

Good luck!

lol, im sorry but i just had to laugh at this one....

please don't take DPH in those doses, it is not a recreational drug...

Speak for yourself ;) I can't seem to get enough of Dimenhydrinate and Diphenhydramine. Something about the chaos... I love it.
For most, yes DPH is far from drug of choice for recreation, but every has their preferences.

I left the Xanax off the list for last night's trip, and had my fair share of talking to chairs and apples.

Is there any way I could be appointed official DPH/DMH nerd of Bluelight? I seem to be the only person who has explored it in depth; most anyone else just advises to stay away from it, without any real support (though I do not argue it's a dangerous substance indeed)

It is NOT a recreational drug.

It is an anti-cholergenic deliriant of the first-generation anti-histame class. It induces delirium.

Delirium is not reacriational.

It's approaching the fuzzy line of semantics, but what I was meaning by saying what I did, is I use it in a somewhat recreational fashion. In the sense of someone trying to have a good time, and have a blast? No, not at all a recreational drug. I enjoy it, but i'm weird.

To avoid this in the future (as it's said quite frequently around here), what would be a better word to use, none come to mind that fit in my drug vocabulary.

Another thing noted, I get an afterglow from DPH, but not in the sense like when you do DXM or smoke a ton of bud; the day after a DPH trip (heavier doses induce it more often) I seem to deal with people and situations better, I am more "me" all my social anxiety is nulled, I feel like I am "home" in a sense, I can slow my thoughts and deal with the troubles In my life, i'm not rushed, and things will indeed be alright. This feeling fades off over the next few days, and is the biggest reason i'm finding it so hard to quit this substance. It crushes my depression and allows me to view the world optimistically unlike any prescribed medication ever has. It troubles me, because I know how destructive this drug is on my mind and body in the long run. I don't really know what i'm asking, other than, is DPH bad enough to make once a week, or even once a month too frequent? I've justified my use in the past, as I couldn't see the troubles it was causing in my life because I was in a state of denial (I used it daily at 400mg+ with periodic week/month long breaks due to rehabs, over the course of two years)

DXM trips are dirty, but I've had some enjoyable expiriences with 200-500mg + clonazepam + weeds. The afterglow was always better than the actual night before, especially after smoking a fat bowl or two.

I wouldn't even consider taking over 100mg of DPH. DPH, IMO, should strictly be used for opioid potentiation, added sedation to benzos, allergies, and sleep. There's a "paranoid edge" to DPH for a reason: IT'S NOT RECREATIONAL, despite psychoactive effects.

I can't hate on responsible recreational use of DXM, but DPH is just ridiculous. If you really wanna experience intense delirium: Datura. Just the word scares me!

Well, some people enjoy mutilating their own genitals. I've seen videos.