• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Micron Filtering Mega Thread and FAQ

im going to reuse one of the only mics i have (hopefully santa packs one in my gift basket this year ;) )

tric, what are you talking abou moistening the mic/? i am new to this so any advice would be welcomed. should i squirt 1ml of water through my mic before i send through my suboxone solution?

So I just followed these instructions pretty much to a T with an 8 mg strip of suboxone. all went well until i added 9 units of benzyl alcohol (the solution was about 9-10 ml in total). these weird 'globules' of stuff started forming in the solution and have settled at the bottom into a semi-viscous goop. not sure what to make of it....

yess!!! this happened to me!!!! i just added in 10extra mls of water and the solution turned absolutely clear. i was like zomggg someone must have sent me a fake micron hahahahahha

this might be a dumb question but if I made a vial of micron filtered substance like in the example using way more than I'd take in one dose, how do I know how many mg/ml or how many units would 1mg be? Say I used 24mg of subutex like the example (i know it was suboxone but I have subutex) when I am prepping for injection how do I know how much of the drug I am taking?

this might be a dumb question but if I made a vial of micron filtered substance like in the example using way more than I'd take in one dose, how do I know how many mg/ml or how many units would 1mg be? Say I used 24mg of subutex like the example (i know it was suboxone but I have subutex) when I am prepping for injection how do I know how much of the drug I am taking?

What do you mean how do you know? You choose how potent you want the solution to be. Divide the total amount of bupe from however much water you're using. For example if you're using 10ml with 24mg's of bupe, that would be 2.4mg's/ml.

My supplies just came in the mail and I followed the steps to make a bupe solution! Thanks so much Capt H and everyone else for the info, after injecting bupe for a month without micron filtering, I could feel my veins hardening. My micron solution even feels cleaner! And the supplies were not that expensive for how long they will last. I highly recommend this method to anyone injecting pills.

I did have a little trouble with drawing up the bacteriostatic water into my 20ml syringe with the pills in it, the plunger was really hard to pull back and if I let go of pressure even a little, the solution would go back into the vial. Are you supposed to hold it a certain way? It seemed like to get it perfect I would need 3 hands. How do I counter this for the next time I make a solution?

? Micron Filter Flow Direction (merged)

Quick thought off the top of my head. Micron Filters: Do y'all fil your rig first then attach the micron filter and push or attach the Micron filter and then suck the fluid into the rig? I would believe filling the rig first and pushing would be better for two reasons: 1)More pressure from pushing down on fluid (pushing out of the rig) rather then using vacuum power to suck into the rig, and 2)reverse osmosis needs pressure to seperate things like salt and a micron filter seems like the same concept.

Reverse Osmosis filters are made to filter only one way. is this the same with Micron filters? Are they best to use in one direction? Which way do you send your fluids?

I've heard they work either way it just depends on what type syringe you have. I would think you are right, it seems that would be the best way to do it.

Most filters have luer slip/locks on them.

The bigger side to accommodate the syringe is the side the solution should be coming from...

Most filters have luer slip/locks on them.

The bigger side to accommodate the syringe is the side the solution should be coming from...
That isn't what I meant.... What I was referring to is the flow direction. Usually people around here push through the filter. Is that what you do, Or do you draw the fluid through the filter?

That isn't what I meant.... What I was referring to is the flow direction. Usually people around here push through the filter. Is that what you do, Or do you draw the fluid through the filter?

I've always pushed it through the filter. I never thought of sucking it up rather than pushing it through, but based on how much pressure is needed to push the solution through the filter, I highly doubt sucking it up would work at all.

Also, I've heard Whatman wheel filters have a prefilter mechanism. As to whether the prefilter is on a specific side I have no idea.

Lately there is the availalility of .1 um micron filters. research has shown that these could substantually reduce bacteria and viral transmission in fluids passig through these. I has stated before that the best way to use filters is to put several in series of finer filtration. So attach the non luer-lock lide of a .45 to a .22, and then attach the non luer lock of that .22 to a .1. this way you can strain your fluids withut destroying, jamming, or perforating the filter!

Micron syringe filters and their importance, especially amongst those IV'ers who shoot pills, is something that has been noted here on Bluelight. I have learned a great deal about harm reduction in the IV drug use realm thanks to those who have shared their knowledge with the community here.

I am posting this because while the importance of why the micron filter should be used, with the dangers of insoluble ingredients within pills, has been discussed at length... I am still unclear as to exactly which type of filter is optimal for IV'ing certain pills (oxy, roxis, dexedrine, ambien, to name some common ones), or even for use while shooting dope for extra protection from the cuts.

Whether it gets thrown out or not, I want this thread to *NOT* be involved with the importance of the micron filter, or exactly why they are so crucial to the cardiovascular heath of an IV drug user. This has been established enough that most people are in the know. Instead, I merely want to get straight to the nitty-gritty as far as which ones are best!!

That being said, out of the types of micron filters available on the internet are the nylon wheel filters the best for filtering pills/drugs?? Or is polypropylene superior to nylon as a filtering material? Anybody who has any idea *please* share your info with your fellow BL'ers :) !!

I am unsure of any other filtering materials other than nylon and polypropylene, and it's hard to get such information online. I've tried hard and both solid facts and anecdotal information is difficult to find.

Lastly, regardless of the filtering material in the micron wheel, which SIZES of filters are necessary for any IV user's arsenal?? Based on what I have heard here and there, 0.45um and 0.22um are the most popular... with many people doubling the two size filters in one shot to avoid clogging the smaller 0.22um filter. So the 0.45um filters the solution enough to let the 0.22um filter finish the job without any clogging... is this correct??

On a side note, I have seen different numbers thrown around - some of which are very close to the 0.45um and 0.22um filters I just mentioned. Namely I have seen 0.44um and 0.2um filters discussed here on Bluelight... are these the same filters, merely being rounded by some people? Or is there really a 0.44, 0.45, 0.22, and 0.2 all made distinct from each other (which seems possible but strange)... I dunno

I am going to make an order soon so I would love to get a little confirmation to make sure I buy the correct ones. Before I end this I was curious of one more thing-- do they make any filters smaller than the 0.22um/0.2um filter?? And would the smallest filter, should it exist, be worth getting??

I hope I can get enough confirmation to make the correct purchase, and I also hope this thread can help clarify the matter for others who are trying to save their veins (a Q-tip is not enough, I know)... Take care all!

Last edited by a moderator:
Lastly, regardless of the filtering material in the micron wheel, which SIZES of filters are necessary for any IV user's arsenal?? Based on what I have heard here and there, 0.45um and 0.22um are the most popular... with many people doubling the two size filters in one shot to avoid clogging the smaller 0.22um filter. So the 0.45um filters the solution enough to let the 0.22um filter finish the job without any clogging... is this correct??
Yes, it's advisable to pass your solution through various filter sizes to avoid clogging. .45 is generally considered enough to "clear" a solution -meaning it should appear clear to the naked eye, and .22 is considered good enough to remove bacteria. Keep in mind that viruses may still pass as can insoluble particles that are smaller than that. And yes, there are particles smaller than that in pills, do a search in OD if you're interested in this. Still, if you're shooting, you should use microns, regardless if they can't catch everything. Still worth it.

Ok, so .45 and .22 are the standards... and work best in combination with each other. Got it. Is there anything smaller than the .22um micron filters??

Also, to those who have been using wheel filters for their injections - what brand is best?? Please PM me with a reliable and affordable source if possible. Thanks!!!

(oxy, roxis, dexedrine, ambien, to name some common ones), or even for use while shooting dope for extra protection from the cuts.

You want to get 0.2. I don't know if you also want to get a larger filter to use first so that it doesn't get clogged, I don't know about that.

However, Oxy has talc - this is why you need a 0.2 micron filter.

I don't know the inactives of the other pills. I'm willing to bet Ambien is also going to require 0.2 micron filter, and I'm also willing to bet the Dexedrine is too.

Ok, so .45 and .22 are the standards... and work best in combination with each other. Got it. Is there anything smaller than the .22um micron filters??

Also, to those who have been using wheel filters for their injections - what brand is best?? Please PM me with a reliable and affordable source if possible. Thanks!!!
Did you do the searching Phrozen suggested?

;)

I'll hook you up with the IV Product Review Thread.

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=455920&page=3 - the micron filters I am planning on investing in myself.

Some people have posted (in other posts) questions asking where to get these. I know we can not give shopping advice,on what stores to go to, but if you do a google search for syringe filters you will be okay.

Yes, it's advisable to pass your solution through various filter sizes to avoid clogging. .45 is generally considered enough to "clear" a solution -meaning it should appear clear to the naked eye, and .22 is considered good enough to remove bacteria. Keep in mind that viruses may still pass as can insoluble particles that are smaller than that. And yes, there are particles smaller than that in pills, do a search in OD if you're interested in this. Still, if you're shooting, you should use microns, regardless if they can't catch everything. Still worth it.

You can get .2 instead of .22 you should note that they either come individually wrapped/sterilized or just in a bag. make sure you are using PVDF ones. this is not a brand but materials used. PVDF is made for pharmaceutical applications!!!!

Actually I found .1 micron PDVF filters on "The worlds largest auction site" Which I hear are now being used in a series of larger to more fine filters (.45-.22.-.1). I read today that .1 substantually removes bacteria,fungal, virrus and proto (i am not going to try to spell it) from a solution....

Actually I found .1 micron PDVF filters on "The worlds largest auction site" Which I hear are now being used in a series of larger to more fine filters (.45-.22.-.1). I read today that .1 substantually removes bacteria,fungal, virrus and proto (i am not going to try to spell it) from a solution....

I prefer to get the 0.2um whatman brand GD/X ones, because they have a pre-filter built in. You need to be pre-filtering before introducing a pill/water or drug/water solution to a 0.1 filter (unless it is already near-sterile/pure like a high potency batch of crystal meth might be), so you don't accidentally clog the 0.1um filter prematurely. :)