• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Methadone + Xanax = Lethal ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I take 20mg of methadone each day, and I do take some benzos with it from time to time. IMO you don't really have to freak out, 2.5mg of Xanax is an average dose and certainly not a high dose ;)

I overdosed from 40mg of methadone, a six pack, and 4mg of Xanax. I had taken the combo every single weekend for a year straight but somehow my body couldn't handle it. I spent the next few days in a coma and eventually woke up to a doctor telling me that I have a ten percent chance of living. So that goes to show you that even when you have a tolerance, something can go wrong and you can die. I'm lucky to be here and I hope the OP is alright.

I have overdosed twice and the first time I made a thread eerily similar to this one...

If you add alcohol to the mix, then yes the risks of having an OD are greatly augmented. But I understand you when you say you did the combo numerous times before with no problem. Then one day, for whatever eason, your body is weakened and bam, OD.

If you add alcohol to the mix, then yes the risks of having an OD are greatly augmented. But I understand you when you say you did the combo numerous times before with no problem. Then one day, for whatever eason, your body is weakened and bam, OD.

I very much believe that alcohol probably contributes to a lot of methadone/xanax related deaths. I hope the op is okay as well. People should really know what their body can handle tho' before they start mixing medications tho'? Am I right?

Edit: Op also states that he loves xanax and hopes to be off of methadone soon. Which makes me think he has a tolerance to both drugs. I hope you're okay op.

I wish I had found this thread and warned him before the not-so-bright people in here told him he would be alright and prompted his decision to sleep...

Jeez guys. This guy might be dead because he felt reassured by people telling him he would be fine when he is actually at a real and significant risk of death...

Remember to always err on the side of caution with this sort of thing! Is it worth giving advice to someone who might die from that advice? I was trained medically, and we were ALWAYS taught to make damn sure people were ok and to always offer transport to a hospital, even if they seemed alright at the time. ESPECIALLY with cases like this!

I can't see where I am possily wrong with this logic. Does anyone disagree?

BP, he had already taken the combo when he posted. Then he said he didn't want to go to sleep. I'm sure we'll hear about him in a while ;)

Agreed about the alcohol bit, but I have overdosed from nothing but benzos and methadone before as well.

I wish I would have stopped by OD last night and I hope the OP is alright. But even when people told me to go to the ER when I overdosed, I did not listen.

BP, he had already taken the combo when he posted. Then he said he didn't want to go to sleep. I'm sure we'll hear about him in a while ;)

Agreed. If he had asked if he should have taken the combo before hand I'm sure for harm reductions sake everybody would have told him not to do so.

Im proly in the minority here but I dont think dude was in any real danger. His posts were coherant and spelled correctly so it wasnt like he was seeing triples or anything plus hes on a done taper and says he often takes xanax. I know xanax and done has a bad rap with lots of deaths but if you have atolerance to both it CAN be a safe combo. my .02

Im proly in the minority here but I dont think dude was in any real danger. His posts were coherant and spelled correctly so it wasnt like he was seeing triples or anything plus hes on a done taper and says he often takes xanax. I know xanax and done has a bad rap with lots of deaths but if you have atolerance to both it CAN be a safe combo. my .02

Agreed as well. I pointed all of these signs out, but then again overdose can/will happen unexpectedly. Before I od'd in Jan, I preferred taking xanax w/ methadone because I found methadone made me very anxious and it also seemed to be mildly stimulating for an opiate (I found excess energy). Don't know what this means about harm reduction, but I strongly believe OP will be alright.

Agreed as well. I pointed all of these signs out, but then again overdose can/will happen unexpectedly. Before I od'd in Jan, I preferred taking xanax w/ methadone because I found methadone made me very anxious and it also seemed to be mildly stimulating for an opiate (I found excess energy). Don't know what this means about harm reduction, but I strongly believe OP will be alright.

I thought I would be alright too, when I unknowingly ODed with tolerance like this guy. Which, in turn, is why I have a special interest in this thread. The hundreds of thousands of people who died the exact same way by combining these medications probably felt the same way too. :^/

I just don't get it. Why help someone who just took three critically interacting medications at large doses drop their guard by saying they will be fine, especially when nobody has a clue about the guy's real tolerance levels or amounts of build-up from the medications after use over time?

I can't possibly think of a WORSE benzodiazepine and a WORSE opiate to combine than methadone and Valium! Both have an extensive half-life, which means both of them would keep accumulating in the bloodstream as both were taken daily, increasing the OD risk substantially.

Throw in a ton of Xanax at odd intervals potentiating everything involved, and this guy is at incredible risk here.

I can't understand some of you being so passive when this man's life is in danger. Even if he is just fine and dandy TODAY, he might take the opinions of people saying he would be ok and keep doing it. A few days down the road there is more and more of the drug accumulating in his bloodstream without him realizing it, and BAM he is dead...

He has some really irresponsible methadone clinic/physicans. I can't believe they are prescribing him those, especially the long acting types which would keep building up. Do they WANT to kill him? Jeez...

This guy needs to talk to his physicians and iron this out immeiately, in my experienced opinion.

Last edited:
I can't understand some of you being so passive when this man's life is in danger.

The OP had already ingested the medicine. There isn't really much anybody at bluelight can do to help his situation except not raise his overall anxiety levels and or suggest he call 911. I mean yes it is very dangerous to mix methadone and xanax, but I can def think of some more odd-end combinations; namely heroin/morphine and clonazepam (I suffered severe respiratory depression from this combo) . Everybody is different and there-in lies the possibility that he could have overdosed. Everybody is just putting in their .02

sadly this is all i had to work with for awhile ,a good fucking while ..... i used to manage to get up tothe high teens in xanax dosage ..till i ran out ,well the people ran out that is ....binge'n that hard was rediculous.....i would only dose once a day and i went for the HIGH not the theraputic affect ,spent close to 3 weeks dosing ,byt the time i stopped/ran out i was at 9 2mg at once ...with methadone IV and diphenhydramine thrown in ....result was alot of nights being awoke by my mother screaming at me cuz ive done nodded all the way over the arm of computer chair and head was touching floor

I'm pretty sure OP is fine. He said that 50mg is his usual dose of methadone. 2.5mg of xanax is not that much. Should be fine, if he isn't all I can say he should have researched the risks of mixing benzo's and opiates before he indulged into the mixture.8)

Hello my friends, you are all so wonderful.

Budding Pharmacist, loulou reed and brokedown palace
and Diloadid and pbuilder syKonaut and all you others
you are wonderful fantastic people and thank you for
showing me so much love, i'll most certainly do exactly
the same to you all whenever you need me, my friends.

Firstly say that i am fine!
I Went to sleep at 2am last night, and woke up at 9am,
thank god! This morning when i dosed at the pharmacy
for my methadone i asked my chemist she said it should
be fine but she has heard of one guy overdosing on methadone
and xanax and dying. I Myself have a new dosage plan now,
since xanax only has a max half-life of 8 hours, i will
take 2 .05 mg tablets in the morning, 1 0.5mg tablet at 3
pm, and then half a .05 tablet at bedtime, it should be fine!

Thanks for the replies, you guys are all angels, god bless you all.

In Particular, BuddingPharmacist, you are the type of person we
need more of in this world, if there where more people like you
then the world would be a much better place. Thanks so much
for worrying about me, thankfully i didn't need a paramedic last
night, but your intense generosity is something i value so hard,
believe me friend, any favor you need from me, just ask, i can
see a friendship potential that will happen whenever you like,
just PM me, or i'll send you a PM sometime this week, either
way, thank's buddy, and also all the other guys here too.

God bless y'all.

Last edited:
From my own near-death experience of being on similar doses of the same things (except substituting 50mg methadone for 60mg oxycontin in my case), I can say with utter certainty that he most certainly DOES risk his life.

I hope he isn't dead, because that methadone can peak at odd times. If it peaks while he is asleep, he might stop breathing and die in his sleep.

Fucking doctors. I hate the ones who prescribe like complete fucking idiots. Nearly cost me my OWN life, and might cost this guy his! Money hungry bastards!...

Please post, thread starter. You have me upset and worried, now. If I knew your phone number, I would be calling you to see if you are alright. Your situation is that serious, and I give a damn because the same thing happened to me! :(

Your right my friend, bear in mind however, my xanax doctor
does not know im on methadone, i don't think, whereas the
one who gave me valium certainly does. He rang the pharmacist
first though, remember i'm coming off methadone, today i reduced
my dosage by 3.5 mg down to 47mg, so i'm coming off slowly, which
is good, i hope to be off this shit entirely in a month, i dispise it, the
horrible rotten effects it gives me, i manage them with meloxicam,
which works wonders, but before that, it was a living hell, fucking shit.

Peace out my brother.

Who is megawoof? I Haven't seem him here. I Also wanna
say this, now i realize how dangerous mixing benzos with
methodone(or other strong opiates like oxycodone like my
brother buddingpharmacist did) can be, and ill never do it
again, i only take low xanax doses now, and until im off
methadone entirely, it will stay that way. A Warning to
all brothers, anyways, when i'm off methadone, i'll be on
5mg of xanax a day, and possibly 5mg of diazepam too.

Peace out dear comrades.

Who is megawoof? I Haven't seem him here. I Also wanna
say this, now i realize how dangerous mixing benzos with
methodone(or other strong opiates like oxycodone like my
brother buddingpharmacist did) can be, and ill never do it
again, i only take low xanax doses now, and until im off
methadone entirely, it will stay that way. A Warning to
all brothers, anyways, when i'm off methadone, i'll be on
5mg of xanax a day, and possibly 5mg of diazepam too.

Peace out dear comrades.

I am glad you are ok. These medicines are extraordinarily dangerous, and just about everyone who dies from them did so because they underestimate their power.

Methadone is nasty. I see what it does to people. Get off it and try my suggestion of Kratom if you want, which is infinitely better and infinitely safer. I maintained myself on Kratom and did 10x as well on it, probably because it helps with my ADD just as much as it kills opiate cravings and keeps depression away.

Keep in mind to be weary of the benzos. They may help you for now, but if something happens to your ability to get them, you will go through withdrawals which will be just as bad or worse than actually being tortured. The withdrawal can kill, too. If you get off, you would do best to taper. That taper might take three months to six months for you to accomplish.

In all, the best thing is going without anything and using exercise to feel better. The human body isn't meant to handle all of these harsh chemicals. Overprescribing is one of the reasons for many of the problems of today's society.

Just be careful, friend. Always take a lot of consideration into medications such as these. Be well.

I'm glad you're okay DoctorChemX. I had a sneaking suspicion that you would be. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.