• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Methadone + Xanax = Lethal ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorChemX

Bluelighter
Hiy'a all,

As i write this post, i'm kinda shitting myself in fear,
it's 10:30 at night, and i dunno whether or not to go
to the emergency room or what, i'm too scared to
sleep that's for sure. You see, i took 2.5mg of xanax
today, in separate doses, 3 hours apart, the last one
i took was about 4 hours ago, and i also am on methadone
maintenance treatment, 50mg, which i dosed at this morning
about 13 hours ago. I Just read that mixing xanax and methadone
is a lethal combination, and that if i go to sleep i won't wake up.

Has anyone else had experience with this? What is your opinions?

Well, I take 20mg of methadone each day, and I do take some benzos with it from time to time. IMO you don't really have to freak out, 2.5mg of Xanax is an average dose and certainly not a high dose ;)

ya thanks bro, but your only on 20mg, im on twice
that amount(not for long) but do you think i'll be alright?

I'm kinda tired, and i wish i could sleep, i just wanna wait
for the xanax to come outta my system, good thing it has
a short half life, but i didn't realize it was such a lethal mix.

i think tomorrow i'm gonna take 2.5mg in the morning
then take none again in the afternoon or evening, which
is good anyway cause ill be at work tomorrow and i only
use xanax to keep me calm while im working, but for the
past 3 days i've also been using it for sleep, but not anymore
until im off methadone, i fucking hate methadone, useless shit.

I think you'll be ok, but I'm not a doctor... But again, 50mg of methadone is an average dose, as is 2.5mg of Xanax. If you freak out, just don't take another dose of Xanax next time, although I do think you don't risk anything at these doses ;)

Ok, well im tired now, i'll give sleep a shot. Hopefully i'll
be off methadone soon, then i'll take as much xanax as
needed, as i love the stuff. But until then, i'll keep to
morning doses hehe... I'm coming off methadone slowly.

Thanks for the post man.
Peace.

Actually, i've decided to postpone sleeping for a while,
just so some of it gets out of my system. Actually while
where on the topic of drug-death, do you have any idea
what happens if, say, when im off methadone, and clean,
if i mix two benzos? Like say take 5mg of xanax and 5mg
of diazepam at the same time? Would that keep me alive?

There's no danger in mixing two benzos at this dose, although 5mg of Xanax is over the top and definitely not the same as 5mg of Valium. Remember, everything is poison, nothing is poison, it's the dose that makes the poison.

So 5mg of xanax would have most people stoned
outta there mind yeah? The biggest dose i've had
was 1.5mg at once, and that certainly stoned me
quite good, so i imagine a higher dose would be stronger.

Valium, i've noticed seems to be a much more drawn out
high than xanax, it's kinda like a totally different effect
almost, sometimes on valium i kinda imagine funny things
when im asleep its like im awake and asleep at the same
time like ill reach down to pat my cat, but it's no there etc...

But yeah man, benzodiazepines are my new favorite drugs
i've sworn never to take any opiates again. So when i am
clean from methadone, i want to take both xanax and valium
everyday, so what's your recommended daily dosage for me
then when that happens? How much xanax + valium per day?

I can't tell you that. Benzos are a medicine, not to be played with. If you think methadone is addictive, wait to be addicted to benzos...

Really man, you should not take benzos every day, not worth it at all...

Yes, it can be lethal.

The benzodiazepine synergizes and potentiates the opiate methadone to dangerous levels.

First, I'd recommend downing an energy drink asap to help keep you awake and breathing.

Second, if at any time you are falling asleep uncontrollably, that is usually considered time to either have someone nearby ensure you keep breathing and/or call the paramedics.

This is the exact reason why the majority of methadone clinics won't let you into their program if you are on a benzo. Extremely dangerous. Accounts for a large portion of overdose deaths with opiates.

Be safe. You only get one life. Don't lose it by doing such things. :(

I take 120 mg of methadone a day and also take 1-4 mg of Clonazepam as needed. Works fine for me, I have a tolerance to both though.

You should be ok, as you took the methadone in the morning and your last xanax dose was 4 hours ago. If you were gonna have problems with the combo it would have been an hour after you took the last dose of xanax. At 4 hours I (i'm not a doctor) think you will be fine.

Also, consider this:

What you took at the doses you took could probably kill anywhere from one to three opiate intolerant people.

It is something you should take seriously.

Post again so I know you are alright, please.

So 5mg of xanax would have most people stoned
outta there mind yeah? The biggest dose i've had
was 1.5mg at once, and that certainly stoned me
quite good, so i imagine a higher dose would be stronger.

Valium, i've noticed seems to be a much more drawn out
high than xanax, it's kinda like a totally different effect
almost, sometimes on valium i kinda imagine funny things
when im asleep its like im awake and asleep at the same
time like ill reach down to pat my cat, but it's no there etc...

But yeah man, benzodiazepines are my new favorite drugs
i've sworn never to take any opiates again. So when i am
clean from methadone, i want to take both xanax and valium
everyday, so what's your recommended daily dosage for me then when that happens? How much xanax + valium per day?

I know I'm being a downer, but I would strongly urge you to reconsider taking that Xanax and the Valium every day, unless you seriously need it. For heaven's sake, do NOT use them together with methadone ever again! Rememer that your methadone peaks MANY hours later than when you take it, meaning if you take methadone at 2:00pm and take your Xanax/Valium at 7:00pm, you are at the most risk!

Even worse, the methadone and the Valium are really long lasting, and the more you take them the more will build up in your bloodstream.

All in all, your situation is pretty damn dangerous.

I'm actually a bit mad with your doctor. He should know damn well that Xanax, Valium and methadone are usually contraindicated/react with one another. Your doc is prescribing you meds that can kill when all used congruently.

The reason I am so passionate about this because I went through the same thing you are right now. Same doses, same meds, except I was on 60mg oxycodone (instead of your methadone), for a spine injury I had.

It very nearly killed me when I took both together, dude, and I had tolerance. Your methadone is going to peak 4-6 hours after you take it, too. Even if you took them six hours from one another, it can still stop your breathing.

For the love of God, kick your physician in the balls for me! I can't stand irresponsible physicians.

One final thought: You speak of considering Xanax long term. Keep in mind that the withdrawals from Xanax/Valium are the very worst out of any drug. Long, too! After I learned the hard way by nearly getting killed by combining Xanax with oxycodone too close together, I immediately took myself off Xanax cold turkey. For me, it is and still remains the worst month of my life.

You are in dangerous waters. Tread carefully, friend. Give this as much thought as you would a huge life decision, because the misery of not handling this decision properly could cause you true torment beyond what you know.

Be safe. I write this because I care.

Last edited:
Yes, it can be lethal.

The benzodiazepine synergizes and potentiates the opiate methadone to dangerous levels.

First, I'd recommend downing an energy drink asap to help keep you awake and breathing.

Second, if at any time you are falling asleep uncontrollably, that is usually considered time to either have someone nearby ensure you keep breathing and/or call the paramedics.

This is the exact reason why the majority of methadone clinics won't let you into their program if you are on a benzo. Extremely dangerous. Accounts for a large portion of overdose deaths with opiates.

Be safe. You only get one life. Don't lose it by doing such things. :(

This.. If you are tolerant/experienced with both you should be fine. though it is real easy to over do it. I've never overdosed from shooting dope but I had a non fatal OD from mixing methadone/xanax, after i got out of jail and my tolerance dropped. My clinic wouldn't even allow us to take benzos if we had a script. My good friend died this summer from the same combination..

Be careful.

Methadone and xanax can be a pretty fatal mixture. I know a lot of people, good people, who have lost their lives because of it. I suffered a pretty serious OD from methadone/xanax/alcohol. At the time I had taken 50mg of methadone and way.. way.. way.. too much xanax, I'm guess over the 10mg mark (which at the time was a pretty normal amount to take to catch a good buzz off of) and topped it off with a few shots of rum. I didn't make it very far after those few shots of rum, I ended up falling out of a truck, and cracking my skull right underneath my right eye. Painful. Woke up in a hospital the next day with nurses and a dr. hovering over me pulling tubes in and out of my mouth, it was really painful, and I had no idea why I was there. So just be careful with this mixture man, I'm sure 2.5mg of xanax and 50mg of methadone won't do you in, completely, but I would imagine it could cause some uncomfortable respiratory depression if you aren't used to it. Please be careful. If you need to see a picture of someone od'd and dead in hospital bed, I can provide. And that is the last place you want to be wd'ing from methadone or xanax at, well at least the hospital in my town is, they gave me morphine for my skull fracture, but other than that there wasn't much I could do about wd'ing from xanax in the hospital for a few days. That insomnia, SUCKS.

I can't tell you that. Benzos are a medicine, not to be played with. If you think methadone is addictive, wait to be addicted to benzos...

Really man, you should not take benzos every day, not worth it at all...

This guy above me is right.

I know this is a long post, but it contains some knowledge that few people know about which can end up fixing you and countless others up. That knowledge of what anyone can do, legally, and improve their lives is below the double scored line in this post. READ IT. It will be worth your time.

Imagine being slowly burned inside, unable to sleep, and going crazy all at the same time for an entire month. THAT is the type of agony involved with getting off (withdrawal) from your Xanax and Valium. The withdrawal can kill, too, and causes seizures if not controlled.

Imagine an emergency situation where you can't get Xanax. You'd be BEYOND screwed. When I cold turkeyed the Xanax I was on, I wanted to die for an hour or two EVERY DAY. It's that bad, man. Avoid it. Don't screw yourself. Learn from MY mistakes, so you don't have to learn first-hand! :(

---------------------------------
---------------------------------

Now here is the education below on what you can do instead, and end up feeling great. These work, too, especially the third one. This isn't some mumbo jumbo holistic BS I am about to write, either.

I'll give you three alternatives you might be unaware of to help you out in place of using your benzos. :)

Kava kava is a natural supplement used for thosands of years on the islands of Hawaii and thereabouts. It makes you feel relaxed like Xanax but without the addiction issues.

Valerian is very similar in respects to your benzos too. Acts in a similar way, helps to calm and to sleep, and doesn't carry many side effects except relaxation and drowsiness, in my experience. In fact, I beleve they modfied the compound in valerian and MADE Valium from it. Notice the similarities between the names valerian and Valium? One came from the other. :)

And finally, my favorite, Kratom! Kratom mimics opiates closer to anything I am aware of that can be sold legally, and it most certainly works, too! One moderate dose of an extract or 6g powdered leaf has the relatve potency as about two or three 7.5 hydrocodone. Yet, it doesn't make most people sleepy. It also acts as a stimulant, and gives a lot of energy while giving a portion of euphoria like opiates. I liken it to a cross between hydrocodone and adderall. The only side effect is nausea if you try to take too much. Unfortunately, in your case, the methadone dose you are on would almost certainly stamp out the effects of this wonderful gem of a plant called Kratom. I would suggest that once you get off the methadone and your tolerance is back to lower levels to give Kratom a shot if you find yourself craving opiates. The Kratom entirely destroys all desire for me to return to opiates while I am using it.

Those are just a few things I know. I know A LOT about medicines and supplements such as the ones above. If you are ever in trouble or have a question about things like these, I would be more than happy to help you.

One final thought: Kratom is what I personally deem a "functional opiate", meaning it doesn't screw up your day and make you useless anywhere near as much as pharmaceutcals like your methadone. The withdrawal from kratom is cake compared to classic opiates, too. Kratom works on nearly all the same receptors as morphine, and contains two mai. ingredients that bind to those opiate receptors, with one of those main ingredients in Kratom found to be several times more potent analgesically than morphine. You will concentrate better due to the added bonus of the stimulant effects, feel less pain, and I estimate the addictive potential of kratom to be about a fourth as bad as lortab.

This is where I get mad again. Nobody prescribes this amazing little plant, and the applications I can think of for Kratom range from a powerful antidepressant, potent painkiller, keeps cravings of hard drugs away, useful in withdrawals from Xanax to opiates and all the way to amphetamines, can't OD on it easily, works well for ADD/ADHD... The list goes on and on.

It blows my mind that people and pharmaceutcals are scarcely aware of it's existence. Heck, I might go into pharmaceutcals and make millions off it.

Any questions, feel free to ask, friend.

I think you'll be ok, but I'm not a doctor... But again, 50mg of methadone is an average dose, as is 2.5mg of Xanax. If you freak out, just don't take another dose of Xanax next time, although I do think you don't risk anything at these doses ;)

From my own near-death experience of being on similar doses of the same things (except substituting 50mg methadone for 60mg oxycontin in my case), I can say with utter certainty that he most certainly DOES risk his life.

I hope he isn't dead, because that methadone can peak at odd times. If it peaks while he is asleep, he might stop breathing and die in his sleep.

Fucking doctors. I hate the ones who prescribe like complete fucking idiots. Nearly cost me my OWN life, and might cost this guy his! Money hungry bastards!...

Please post, thread starter. You have me upset and worried, now. If I knew your phone number, I would be calling you to see if you are alright. Your situation is that serious, and I give a damn because the same thing happened to me! :(

From my own near-death experience of being on similar doses of the same things (except substituting 50mg methadone for 60mg oxycontin in my case), I can say with utter certainty that he most certainly DOES risk his life.

I hope he isn't dead, because that methadone can peak at odd times. If it peaks while he is asleep, he might stop breathing and die in his sleep.

Fucking doctors. I hate the ones who prescribe like complete fucking idiots. Nearly cost me my OWN life, and might cost this guy his! Money hungry bastards!...

Please post, thread starter. You have me upset and worried, now. If I knew your phone number, I would be calling you to see if you are alright. Your situation is that serious, and I give a damn because the same thing happened to me! :(

I feel like if he is truly on methadone maintenance that he really should be in the clear. From a harm reduction standpoint, I would never suggest that he take this combo again, but some people get that wild hair. Although the only really serious OD I've ever experienced was partly to due with methadone/xanax, I feel like had the alcohol not been in the mix I would have made it. I think the answer that this user needs is this;

If you feel yourself starting to blackout, get light headed, and/or starting to experience really resistant breathing patterns (extreme respiratory depression), you SHOULD contact 911, if you value your life. I've never been that conscious for any OD that I've experienced, but if he was functioning enough to log onto bluelight and make several post, I would imagine he would make it thru the night...

Well this sucks. The TS is asleep, apparently. Worst thing he could have done in this situation.

Moderators, I am new here, so I don't know the answer to this question: Is it possible for you to relay this guy's IP to the paramedics so they can a least go check on him.

Seriously. Does anyone know this guy that can help? This shit is serious. A few years back I accidentally did the same thing he just did, and I was minutes away from death before my dad saved my life when he found me asleep and not breathing.

I feel like punching my computer screen. I'm actually trained medically to deal with this sort of thing, but obviously he isn't talking and I'm certain he is hundreds of miles away.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.