• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Methadone Mega Thread and FAQ v 2.0

Yes I agree that in maintenance we should have options. Not everything works for everyone.

Methadone is such a bullshit option for any addict. In all honesty its disgusting to think, why bupe, why methadone. Both are bad wd wise. I wise someone would get a fucking clue. Other options are better. Its stupid but Heroin Maintenance would work sooo much better, and easier to just kick.

I really like buprenorphine.

Methadone is what some people like, everyone has their thing man.

Finally, I disagree. Going from heroin to nothing sucks!

Well, when I was early in my heroin addiction, going from heroin to nothing wasn't too bad at all, assuming I had things going on to keep my mind occupied. But that certainly became less so as time went on. These days, I also find bupe to be ideal for my needs and goals.

you wise what?
sorry but that was just a little over the top friend
wishing you peace and love
Methadone is such a bullshit option for any addict. In all honesty its disgusting to think, why bupe, why methadone. Both are bad wd wise. I wise someone would get a fucking clue. Other options are better. Its stupid but Heroin Maintenance would work sooo much better, and easier to just kick.

I'm assuming this is the correct version, I apologize if it's not. I can't remember where I posted the other day.

Anyway I just started on methadone, I'm up to 35 (which is higher than I really would like). I have 2 problems so far I tend to notice, was wondering how everyone else reacted:

1) I find it takes about t plus 3to4 hours for my dose to have any noticeable effect. If I take it on an empty stomach (it's the cherry syrup kind) doesn't make a difference. The one difference I found was that taking white grapefruit before actually seemed to make things worse, less strong, less duration. Not sure why. I'll try with cimitidine one day, but that's besides the point.

2) I find it wears off 20 to 22 hours after taking it, or about 18 hours after feeling it (18 plus 4). It really sucks. I know people say that it has a super long half life, but I find that it's too short to be helping me.

Anyone else feel similar to those points/opinions/etc?

Edit; So I took my dose this morning at 9:45am which was 35mg which was just upped today from 30. My pupuils have noticably shurnken by at least half. They were fucking huge this morning. Other than that no real effects, and I just smoked a blunt. Does it take this long for everyone?

Last edited:
So ive really gotten myself into quite the situation. I've been on methadone for 19 years and for the first several years it worked really well. I was on a therapeutic dose, and was staying away from shooting dope most of the time. However, in the last 4-5 years I have begun to inject my methadone. I know it's not the safest thing but I DEFINITELY feel the effects of the methadone faster and stronger. So now I've. Gotten to the point where I'm shooting anywhere from 200-500 mgs a day. I've complicated matters further because I have literally no veins left on my body and I'm now using my femoral veins. And although I have had no problems with this, I know how risky it is and that it's only a matter of time before something goes desperately wrong. I'm also barely able to go 24 hours before I start to feel sick. I need to stop this but I don't know what to do. I cant tell my counceleor what's going on because. I cant afford to have my bi monthly take home status revoked because of my job and I'm also afraid of my husband getting hassled by association. He likes to shoot his dose some times and does a little extra at times as well but he has a good handle on things (unlike myself) . He really cant afford to get in trouble at the clinic. He's an engineer at a biomedical co. And they have no idea he's a methadone patient and would not be forgiving about him missing time or being late because he had to go to the clinic 6 days a week. So, there's my dilemma. Should I just ask my counceleor for an increase and hope that's enough to hold me while I try to get myself back on a "normal " regimen with my methadone? I just don't know what to do. Any thoughts?

You've dug yourself quite a hole. IV 500mg methadone a day. This is insane. I wish I could help you but this is like handing off a lit stick of dynamite.

I don't know what to say besides begin a taper. You're going to feel pain no matter what coming off of 500mg IV methadone. Stop IVing it for starters.

IV 500. That really is insane.

How much methadone are you getting a month then? 15,00 mg? 30x500?

I've been using 180 - 360 mg of codeine twice daily or 200 - 300 mg of dihydrocodeine twice daily every day for over a year now. Some times i'll take 60 mg of oral morphine twice daily.

So, in the past i've smoked smack & done i.v morphine but in the past month ive shot up too much heroin so i decided to talk to my doctor (ive been treated for over 2 years now for chronic pain btw)

Today i saw a nurse & doc & was started on 25 mg of methadone. I was suprised as this seemed like a high dose to start me on. Am i correct in thinking this?

So i took it at 4:30 today & am feeling it pretty well but still have pain slight wd so tommorow i imagine i'll ask to go up to 30/35 as i believe that will be perfect for me.

25mg of methadone is high, but you've "been shooting heroin", so they probably thought you could use the higher dosage.

If you are prescribed the methadone, you should be able to take 10-15mg and re-evaluate.

I've been using 180 - 360 mg of codeine twice daily or 200 - 300 mg of dihydrocodeine twice daily every day for over a year now. Some times i'll take 60 mg of oral morphine twice daily.

So, in the past i've smoked smack & done i.v morphine but in the past month ive shot up too much heroin so i decided to talk to my doctor (ive been treated for over 2 years now for chronic pain btw)

Today i saw a nurse & doc & was started on 25 mg of methadone. I was suprised as this seemed like a high dose to start me on. Am i correct in thinking this?

So i took it at 4:30 today & am feeling it pretty well but still have pain slight wd so tommorow i imagine i'll ask to go up to 30/35 as i believe that will be perfect for me.

Alot of people rave about the pain killing benefits of Dones' pills If you have a high tolerance to opiate/opioids
they dont do shit for certain types of pain/chronic pain under high doses, which is just a bad idea all around...

Doppelganga: Are you going to a clinic for methadone? They will usually start you out low, and you'll have to work your way up. I was started off at 20mg and can only go up 5mg every 4 days for a maximum of 30 days, unless I hit 80mg (impossible). Right now I am at 35.

I will say that yesterday I upped my dose from 30->35 and it took about T+4 hours to start to feel any good effects, although pupils were half as large at T+2. Then today I took 35 again and was feeling much better at T+2, however, it is usually T+4.

I tried grapefruit and that didn't seem to help with making it last any longer either. Will have to try cimitidine. Grapefruit always worked with benzo's, and subs. So I guess try it again when I feel comfortable a day.

A few questions I thought I would raise if anyone has quick answers.

1) Does anyone have a paper on methadone water solubility.
2) The syrup that I'm getting, the cherry flavored, synthetic tasting red syrup does it contain l,d-methadone hcl. I'm assuming it does, and there isn't a change is solubility between the pills and the syrup.

The real important one:
3) Methadone vs. Lope in the G.I. track. Which has a higher affinity for the G.I. track. I'm having problems in that area. I'm assuming that lope has a higher affinity, however anyone have a quick source. I couldn't find one for the G.I. track, most seems to be mu affinity.

I have been on MMT for over 3 years and there are pros and cons like anything but it has saved my ass.

I don't get sick anymore, don't have to steal anymore, I have all my mental capacity. If you take it properly it is almost as if you don't have an addiction anymore. There is always a bunch of people that will not be able/willing to stop abusing it, but if you are really done chasing the high and nothing else has worked it is a good choice IMO.

I will have chronic pain the rest of my life so it's not as if I can go the abstinence route anyway. I would much rather stay on this the rest of my life than suffer through the hell I was in before for one more minute.

I'm assuming this is the correct version, I apologize if it's not. I can't remember where I posted the other day.

Anyway I just started on methadone, I'm up to 35 (which is higher than I really would like). I have 2 problems so far I tend to notice, was wondering how everyone else reacted:

1) I find it takes about t plus 3to4 hours for my dose to have any noticeable effect. If I take it on an empty stomach (it's the cherry syrup kind) doesn't make a difference. The one difference I found was that taking white grapefruit before actually seemed to make things worse, less strong, less duration. Not sure why. I'll try with cimitidine one day, but that's besides the point.

2) I find it wears off 20 to 22 hours after taking it, or about 18 hours after feeling it (18 plus 4). It really sucks. I know people say that it has a super long half life, but I find that it's too short to be helping me.

Anyone else feel similar to those points/opinions/etc?

Edit; So I took my dose this morning at 9:45am which was 35mg which was just upped today from 30. My pupuils have noticably shurnken by at least half. They were fucking huge this morning. Other than that no real effects, and I just smoked a blunt. Does it take this long for everyone?

It usually takes 3 hours for some people for it to reach peak plasma concentration levels when they first start taking Methadone for the first time.

It has a 24 hour life but as the weeks go on it builds up in your system and you need to give it some time to do that. If you feel uncomfortable up your dose slightly but don't chase the high from it bro, that nod from the Methadone will go away in 2 - 3 months and you won't be able to get it back no matter how fucking high you go.

I'm up to 55 mg now. On thursday they put me up to 45 mg & it was perfect - all my pain & wd symptoms were gone, same again friday but after that i started to withdraw every night like 14 hours after dosing & would have to take amitriptyline (which i find has an excellent synergy with methadone) just to sleep; 50 - 75 mg.

The nurses tell me, like the above poster, that it takes time to build in your system before it keeps you stable for 24 hours. Well i hope that day comes soon. When it does i'm going to ask to have my dose slowly lowered back to 40, load up on my diazepam to keep me sane & stay there for a bit, then work my way down so i can switch to suboxone.

I'm up to 55 mg now. On thursday they put me up to 45 mg & it was perfect - all my pain & wd symptoms were gone, same again friday but after that i started to withdraw every night like 14 hours after dosing & would have to take amitriptyline (which i find has an excellent synergy with methadone) just to sleep; 50 - 75 mg.

The nurses tell me, like the above poster, that it takes time to build in your system before it keeps you stable for 24 hours. Well i hope that day comes soon. When it does i'm going to ask to have my dose slowly lowered back to 40, load up on my diazepam to keep me sane & stay there for a bit, then work my way down so i can switch to suboxone.

You will have trouble coming off methadone if you are combining it with benzos.

^ How much trouble & why so? ^ By the way i'm only talking about 5 - 10 mg of diazepam per day.

Also what dose of suboxone would be equal to 40 mg of methadone.

Christ it's hard hiding this shit from my new girlfriend. How many of you on here that take methadone keep it a secret from ther friends/girlfriends? I would tell her but we've only been together a couple of weeks really.