• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids methadone IV

the toad

Bluelighter
I got in a disagreement with a friend the other day... we were discussing methadone and buprenophine as he (says) he is getting clean... I got clean several years ago and fully support this...

Anyhow... we started talking about methadone... I was an iv user and to get clean I found that injecting my methadone made it possible to use much smaller doses (which worked best for my situation)....

His opinion of that was that "shooting ur methadone is such a waste because you don't get the rush anyway and its shorter acting when ived"

I can respect him havinng a different opinion than me and obviously its different for everyone...

But the real fact of the matter is I'm free of addiction and have been for 4 years.... and he's been talking about it. For longer than that and every time I try to give any advice he tells me I'm wrong lol....

I guesss I don't have a specific question... just venting a bit lol....

How about

Has anyone had similar experiences and how did you deal with it... and what was the end result?...

So is fentanyl and dilaudid and all that... but they all have an iv dosage conversion... whichis sorta my point.... iv methadone is much more potent... which made me able to use it to quit by never running out and having to "sub in" an old standby....

And that's this guys prob... he bangs everything he gets and he thinks he can just taper his oxy scrip.... but he runs out of the month script in. A weeek... so he gets other stuff the rest of the month....

I told him to give methadone a shot.... cuz you learn fast that its a waste to bang a bunch instead of a lil

I wouldn't encourage anybody to shoot methadone. I hear you when you say you are just trying to help your friend, but I don't think trying to get

him to try your method for getting clean is the best idea. methadone orally will hold a person over just fine in most cases without having to turn to

anything else, so there is really no need to iv it. if anything that is just increasing the risk with no real added benefits.

you shouldn't inject fentanyl either unless you have pure drug dilaudid is fine to inject at least compared to methadone and fentanyl

Again... were talking about a guy who right now is banging fentanyl from duragesic patches... so this would be reduction in harm... but it doesn't matter anyways... I don't think this guy actually wants to quit... so like I say... I'm venting I guess lol

Seems you have an addiction to the "needle" itself. You love going threw the steps of setting up & shooting because from what ive read & talked to people about, you should only take Methadone orally & it does last longer than shooting it I believe.

Yea I absolutely do... I still get high every now and then but I do it that way still everytime... but I only will do dilaudid now because I don't mind waiting lol :)

What kind of methadone were you banging?

Chemically Insane,

What form of methadone were you banging? I'm guessing NOT the "cherry" methadose syrup that most clinics dispense nowadays. I've heard that IV'ing that stuff would cause a lot of misery. 8o

Please share...

None anymore... this was years ago... but they were the generic 10mg rectangular mallinckrodt ones...

I just had some oral surgery today... got 25 4mg hydroorphone =D

IMG_20110526_112418.jpg

Methadone has an extraordinarily high volume of distribution, which causes IV methadone to be less efficient/effective than other IV full agonist opiates, such as heroin.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methadone#Route_of_administration

The BA for IV'd methadone is still going to be high, and some of it is still going to kick in quicker. However, I don't believe you're going to get a similar rush when compared to hydromorphone or heroin.

I changed your title so as to reflect that we are talking about IVing methadone. If anyone is to try this, I would strongly suggest them look into micron filtering, as common tablet/syrup preparations of it are not safe to inject on their own.

you should listen to captain heroin and me methadone is dangerous to inject it's made that way so junkies that take it won't inject it

you should listen to captain heroin and me methadone is dangerous to inject it's made that way so junkies that take it won't inject it

It isn't methadone itself that is dangerous to IV; they administer methadone IV in hospitals. Now what IS dangerous, is injecting methadone that is NOT made specifically for injection. Injecting methadose liquid from methadone clinics, and methadone pills/tablets/wafers, is NOT safe. The liquid contains sugars and dies and is extremely bad for you veins/circulatory system. The pills contains other binders/fillers/inactives that, without a micron/wheel filter, is very bad to inject.

It isn't the compound itself which is bad to inject. It is people trying to IV the formulations meant for oral use, which are playing with fire.

Not to mention, the bio availability of methadone orally is so high, that orally is really the best way to take it.. Also, IVing methadone produces basically no rush that is remotely close to other full agonists like morphine/herion/dilaudid/etc.. It may come on a bit quicker, but there are really no benefits that make injecting your methadone liquid/pills/wafers better and safer than just taking it orally.

If you arre on MMT don't inject your methadone..If you are just abusing your maintenance meds you obviously don't REALLY want to get clean regardless of how you try and rationalize it in your mind.

I'm sorry but people who just abuse their maintenance meds and fuck with the system piss me off. If you want to bang opiates still, just go back to your previous drug of choice until you REALLy truly want to get clean, and give your spot in the clinic/sub doctor to someone who REALLY wants to use it as intended.

@mrflowers... so your saying methadone was intentionally engineered to be dangerous to inject... to deter ppl from injecting it?

And iif this were true then why do all the conversion charts include methadone injections as well as oral...

I have to say I love injected methadone. I wasn't expecting much but I had some pure methadone powder and figured, "why not?"

The fact that the rush lasts a solid couple minutes is brilliant, although offset by the fact that you can't shoot it very often.

no just the pills and syrups were made to be dangerous to inject

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's not just methadone, that's the case with most pills. They aren't meant to be injected so there are other ingredients in the pills besides just the active drug. and it's those additives that can cause problems if injected.

i dont condone injecting oral forms of methadone about 5 years ago i was been prescribed methadone ampoules 50mg=1ml i can confirm it did hit a bit faster and didnt last as long as the liquid plus the only time i got a rush with it was when i injected cyclizine with it then it was bliss

Thankyou!

It isn't methadone itself that is dangerous to IV; they administer methadone IV in hospitals. Now what IS dangerous, is injecting methadone that is NOT made specifically for injection. Injecting methadose liquid from methadone clinics, and methadone pills/tablets/wafers, is NOT safe. The liquid contains sugars and dies and is extremely bad for you veins/circulatory system. The pills contains other binders/fillers/inactives that, without a micron/wheel filter, is very bad to inject.

It isn't the compound itself which is bad to inject. It is people trying to IV the formulations meant for oral use, which are playing with fire.

Not to mention, the bio availability of methadone orally is so high, that orally is really the best way to take it.. Also, IVing methadone produces basically no rush that is remotely close to other full agonists like morphine/herion/dilaudid/etc.. It may come on a bit quicker, but there are really no benefits that make injecting your methadone liquid/pills/wafers better and safer than just taking it orally.

If you arre on MMT don't inject your methadone..If you are just abusing your maintenance meds you obviously don't REALLY want to get clean regardless of how you try and rationalize it in your mind.

I'm sorry but people who just abuse their maintenance meds and fuck with the system piss me off. If you want to bang opiates still, just go back to your previous drug of choice until you REALLy truly want to get clean, and give your spot in the clinic/sub doctor to someone who REALLY wants to use it as intended.

I injected my methadone once while I was on Biodone(Im in Australia btw not sure if they have it anywhere else) and I was injecting that which most people do it is much safer to inject because it has no sugars or flavours its just methadone, a dye and water. One of the doctors at the clinic bravely said that it is vein friendly and he doesnt mind if clients choose to inject it(that is if they figure it out and already have started doing it, he doesnt advise people start doing it), he is not a bad doctor so dont hold that against him.

But anyway im on pharmacy now and getting what I presume is methadose(thick, brown, cherry flavoured shit...yuck I hate it) anyway I was mixing it with water and injecting and IT HURTS/BURNS GOING UP YOUR ARM!!! Ive never had that this a drug before so it must be absolutely awful for you but stupidly I kept doing it, with a bit more water albeit but I told myself I needed to know why it was bad and I needed a reason to stop doing it and your post has helped me find that reason. I just needed someone else to say exactly what was bad about it(the dyes and sugars, which I really knew about im just ignorant towards the negatives of drugs sometimes) Im going to try really hard not to do it anymore.

One thing I dont believe though is that you have the right to say that someone is not trying to get clean because they are injecting their meth or maybe having an extra bottle oneday to chill out, people do slip up you know and I know thats just your opinion but I have been to rehab three times(came close to finishing twice and did finish once, long stints too as well as being self-admitted) stopped using huge amounts of other opiates and used my methdone as directed for about two years before I had one craving and ended up having a shot of methadone and been stuck on it since(only a few weeks) but you dare say that im not trying to get clean you have no fucking idea what my life consists of nor anyone elses life and addictions so maybe you should reconsider some of the things you said there. Have you even used Opiates or any hard drugs or injected before? Some of wht you said there is very ignorant and naeive there. Anyway Im really going to try hard to stay away from injecting it now which will be hard because while you dont get a rush it feels much nicer than usual and I nod really hard sometimes(like this morning) for long periods. It really does get me quite high bu anyway no more!!!

I just went and chilled with this this guy yesterday... he said he thinks he kinda really needs to get clean... I've heard this before from him but didn't say anything...but then he pulled up his sleeves and holy fuck... over the past month or so he's developed some of the nastiest tracks I've ever seen... both arms covered with bruises and u

This kid is only 21, he's been on opiates since he was like 15-16... I met him when he was 15 (he told me he was 19)... but over the past 6-8 months he has been going thru his scrip faster and faaster.. now he's under a week...

And then his mom bails him out and will give him like one of her OP-80 oxys a day so he doesn't have witdrawals "cuz she can't stand to see him suffer like that if she can help him"...

He and his parents are also medical cannnabis oarients and his parents suppl that for him as well...lol

He also has no job just goes to school "part time" and gets an allowance from his parents daily which he usually spends on generic MScontin 60's...

This isn't some jealous/selfish rant or anything... just trying to paint picture of the situation...

Anyhow he was fixxing up so I decided to join him for old times sake...he missed, reflagged, missed again.. couldn't flag again then clotted up and just swallowed it :p his arms were a total disaster... a couple months ago he was ok... I asked what was up... he said he thinks its from banging the op/and morphine...

The way he cooks them up is nasty and I think that did probly fuck him up... grinds, "toasts", slowwater to syrup, let cool... rubbery puck... more water, boil the puck, when pucj fully changes shades and twists up... stop cooking and push puck to one side and drop cotton. Beside it and filter up the relatively clearish water...

Yes a major pain in the ass and just doesn't seem like a good i dea to me

Anyhow he asked me for advice... my first piece of advice was get methadome or suboxone from his doc and NOT INJECT anything... at least till he quit and got his life back in order...

My second piece of advice was to have a discussion with his parents (when he's no sick and is making plans for quitting) and have them not give him stuff...

And the third and most important was to go to an inpatient rehab for a month and clean up there where... get away from the people, places, situations, availability and schedule...

The reason I'm posting is because the heart of all of this discussion we had was about how horrible his injection sites were and how if nothing else he needed to stop injecting anything at least for awhile and not ever shoot up nasty time release stuff or anything that isn't clear...

Thank you to all who responded... I showed him this post =D