• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

[Mescaline Cactus Subthread] MAOI Potentiation

Hmmm, my mescaline trips are usually 10-12 hours. Does that mean I'm looking at a ~24 hour trip??

i don't think it's safe. but then people are saying that they've done it and it is. the reason that i'm weary of maoi's is because they have potentially harmful interactions with things other than drugs from what i've read. i don't know how realistic that is but my fear would be drinking or eating the wrong thing while tripping and then having problems. i just looked it up and it looks like you shouldn't eat pepperoni pizza on the comedown. but what if that pepperoni pizza is the only thing you've got in the fridge? see the danger there?

based on what i've read i don't want to do it. i wouldn't consider it safe enough to try myself. from what i've read maoi's can be dangerous.

Should be safe as milk. The MAOI rule applies to irreversible MAOIs (prescription drugs), not short term reversible MAOIs like the harmala alkaloids. There are a ton of reports on this combo and nothing suggests it is anything but safe as milk. :)

PS I am not speaking of intensity, this combo may be a white knuckle ride and can be overly intense though I am only saying that to be safe...all of the reports I have read sound like gravy (made with cream).

based on what i've read i don't want to do it. i wouldn't consider it safe enough to try myself. from what i've read maoi's can be dangerous.

You haven't read very much, then. It's fine if you don't want to do this combo, but I don't see the point in coming into this thread and arguing with people who actually know what they're talking about.

from Tikhal;

WITH TMPEA

(with 150 mg harmaline, 200 mg TMPEA (2,4,5-trimethoxyphenethylamine) [20 min]) "A very faint peripheral visual flicker was noted at 40 minutes. By 80 minutes, a decrease in coordination was apparent and walking required somewhat more attention than normal. This incoordination increased gradually, peaking at three hours. By this time the visual latency characteristic of harmaline was pronounced (when rotating the head or gazing quickly in a different direction, the prior images exit the visual field in a multiple wave fashion in a direction opposite to the motion). At no time were there any detectable effects on thought, and there was no open or closed-eye imagery, with or without music. No effects were detectable at the five hour point and sleep was easily achieved shortly thereafter. In summary, there was nothing there that could not be explained by the harmaline alone.

WITH MESCALINE

(with 100 mg harmaline, 60 mg mescaline (3,4,5-trimethoxyphenethylamine) [20 min]) "At two hours I was in a pleasant state of physical relaxation, a fine sense of well being, and I found music most enjoyable. From then to the fourth hour, thoughts flowed freely, and it became obvious that insight was a major part of this experience. Normally unconscious thoughts were easily available. It was as if I could observe my mind in operation, as facts were weighed to form conclusions. By the sixth hour music was a thing of beauty, with the higher notes crisp and clear. The harmaline has probably worn off. Sleep at eight hours, and the next day was without any adverse effects. This was a remarkable experience, the insight of TMA, and the relaxation of MDMA."

(with 150 mg harmaline, 100 mg mescaline [15 min]) "A stomach ache developed at about 45 minutes, followed by a mild nausea which occurred intermittently throughout the next six hours. I felt comfortable, although there was a slight discoordination at about two hours. Walking was never a problem but did require more concentration than normal. Colors on the television were obviously more intense, and highly saturated at this point and moderate photophobia developed. Even a fire in the fireplace was distracting, and stereo was best enjoyed in the dark. Attempts at sleep did not work until the ninth hour. Upon awakening there was a feeling of dehydration but otherwise no ill effects. Mild looseness of stools was present later that morning. Since experiments using only mescaline at doses between 80 and 120 mg resulted in no CNS effects at all, it seems clear that the MAO blocking effects of the harmaline were crucial to this experience.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As Morninggloryseed has already mentioned most of the warnings over harmaline type MAOIs are well meaning but based on total misunderstanding; harmaline has a very high safety profile as is contested by who knows how many 100s years use in the Amazon. Mescaline too.
I have used beta-carbolines+2C-C many moons back;
"8 dec possibly 1st ever human trial of chlorohuasca; (P.harmala+20mg 2c-c) potentiation approx x2? Lightly sensory perhaps more stimulant – no problems."

I really wouldn't want to give the impresssion for a nano second that mixing harmaline with novel synthetics is safe; of that nothing can be said but mescaline looks fine

Combo: Syrian Rue + Cactus

Yesterday I had the privilege to try a combination that really surprised me in its intensity and spiritual productivity. The extracted resin of P. Torch and MAOI. Just a little of each put me in a state that sort of took every gentle message of love that mescaline conveys, and drove it straight home to understanding with the Syrian Rue. It was an incredibly powerful, positive, life-changing experience.

However, near the end of the day, I was feeling reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally exhausted. Any sort of activity, even mental, was followed by a kind of tiredness of the heart, associated with pain there. My heart surely felt "open" throughout the day, but near the end, it's as if it was sore from being open all day.

I was so exhausted that I could barely speak. I became incredibly still out of pure necessity. I felt like if I pushed my body too hard, I would collapse, possibly die (hah).

Is this combination dangerous? Should I not push it to higher levels?

That is super dangerous... Stay away from MAOI unless you know what you are doing with DMT. The only reason Syrian rue is used is because DMT is not orally active. Mescaline is orally active and therefore there is no point. Combos are fun but MAOI With the wrong tool and you can seriously mess up your serotonin. I have done P torch extracts and honestly just learn how to extract the alkaloids and make into a powder and snort it if you are looking for a good time. Do not FUCK AROUND with mescaline, this is one of the most fickel drugs on the block. COMBOS CAN BE LETAL NO FUCKING JOKE

(Mega)merged new subthread for the cactus / mescaline + MAOI combination. :)

EarthBounded probably means well like a number of others who have been warning people (check the rest of this thread to see a few recurrent trends like pointing out the danger of tyramine content), but the safety or dangers are controversial with mescaline cacti, it is not as simple as a yes or no. It is good news that mescaline is not a typical MAO substrate and has somewhat of a unique way of getting metabolized, which I think is related to the high doses needed normally. The bad news can be that tyramine in the cacti does not get broken down anymore and such a thing could lead to headaches or dangerously high blood pressure. According to some, the quantity of tyramine is typically not at dangerous levels per se but this may differ between species of cacti.

You would probably be much better off extracting your cactus, even if it is crude, to try and purify the goal alkaloids. Not only might this improve your odds regarding nausea or body load, but when attempting to potentiate with MAOIs you can try to reduce tyramine levels as much as possible.

So there are certainly dangerous sides to this and there seem to be things you can do to limit risks, but if you check the posts of people who tried the combination and their results you will notice that this is generally not necessarily a recipe for disaster.

I don't mean to downplay that this is tricky and you should definitely do a lot of homework before trying something like this, and getting the dosage right can also be a challenge. Be cautious!

Last edited:
Would it make sense to up the dose of mescaline and just use a little bit of the Syrian Rue?

Well, it seems extra unpredictable. If we are considering this in a black & white fashion (or on & off), it is already tricky enough to estimate how much your mescaline will be potentiated if MAO inhibition is 'enabled' by taking a full dose of Rue (like 5g?). Potentiation of 3x is an example of a quantitative indication, based on the few snips I read when I compiled this thread.
If you are going to take a little bit of Rue to achieve "partial MAO inhibition", you will probably have little idea if the dose/response curve of MAO inhibition or potentiation is linear or exponential until the maximum inhibition is reached, or some other curved function...

I assume the upped dose of mescaline would be compared to the dose you would otherwise take with full MAO inhibition? Is your mescaline source natural or synthetic and do you have any idea what the general potency is there?

If not, the unpredictability factors would make this exceedingly difficult and I would very much recommend against attempting a full-on / strong experience right away the first try, because you could overshoot your goal and land yourself in a hell for many hours. And it may have health problems, not only harsh psychological conditions, plus it is not easily aborted by cancelling the psychedelic effects with an antagonist... since you are dealing with the Rue.

Okay. The other day I had ~1.2g rue and ~300mg peruvian torch extract of unknown (probably weak) potency. That may not seem like a lot, but I am pretty darn sensitive, and it hit me quite strongly. It was quite visual. Next time I'm considering doing .5g rue and 350mg peruvian torch extract?

A friend of mine is pretty intent on taking rue extract with 2c-b. Does anyone have any experience with such a thing?

I think I read in this thread of maoi+2c-c and it went fine, but I'd really love to hear if theres any more 1st hand experiences?

I dont really get why one would use maoi with 2cb instead of just plugging it.

While I have combined Syrian rue with cactus in the past and found that it did potentiate it, it's not generally considered to be a safe combination. I'd be a bit more concerned about 2C-B, which does raise my blood pressure noticeably on its own.

I'm with you. I'd say the pro move would be to take more or choose another route to take it. Rectal admin works very well for 2C-B.

I would consider combo of Syrian rue with cactus/mescaline not because to potentate it but because I kind of like and find effects of Syrian rue interesting even by-itself so if I ever decide to do that or similar combo I'll go for a high dose of Syrian rue and very small dose of mescaline to start with, but than again there's plenty of combos with Syrian rue that are more or less certainly safe and potentially just as interesting without having to worry about something going wrong.