• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

TDS Megamerged TDS Psychosis Thread vs. it's all going to be alright

So my bf of 5 years has been a heavy drug user, he started just smoking pot which I was okay with bc I smoked it, then we started experimenting with acid and during one trip he had a really really bad trip he started accusing me of cheating on him ( i have never cheated on him) so he kicked me out I left then we ended up back together. Then we started partying and trying other drugs. I was never the type to do a drug more then once outside of weed. Well he went on to smoking crack. snorting cocaine, popping pills, shooting heroin, and then he started to use synthetic pot. And during all this time he was using drugs he started to become angry and kinda paranoid. He got to the point where he thought I had guys coming to the house when he went to work. Or when his friends would come over he accused me of flirting with them.. On Christmas I found out that I was pregnant, and the only person I have ever been with is my bf and one he accused the baby of being someone elses, but then one day he tells me he knows she is his. And that he loves me and cares about me and wants to be with me. well he got clean from everything but the fake pot, then he stopped using the fake pot for two weeks then the friday of the 2nd week he went and bout a 12 g pack of something called ramseys he wasn't smoking it heavily but was smoking it, that saturday we started arguing I didnt think anything of it, that sunday we got into such a bad argument i left then tuesday he comes to my house and all he keeps saying to me is that I am in and he is out..and then he started saying the government was ran by nazis and then he started thinking everybody was out to get him, I just did not recognize him at all.. Later that night he was admitted to the ER for suicidal thoughts then put on a 72 hour hold then he was sent to a psych ward and has been there every since.. And for the first few days he was barely talking to me and barely visiting me, then things got better. But one day when I went to visit him things were good for a hour then I had said something about getting a job and out of no where he started saying i talk and act like a whore, and i lie all the time... and then i call him later that night upset and he talked to me but the next day he was back to saying he didnt know if he could be with me because I act like a whore and lie all the time.. and I haven't spoke with him for 3 days.. Is this a part of the psychosis. Is he bipolar, schizo, or what. He is currently taking abilify... I love him and I care about him and when he is not manic we are perfect together I just don't know what to do!!

I spent the weekend IVing amphetamine and cocaine and then freaked out, spent the next week sleeping with my bed propped in front of the door and an 18 inch knife under my pillow. It should me to the core for a couple of weeks.

That's the short version of one incident anyway.

Hi Everyone,
I just recently found out my cousing admitted himself to a hospital 3 hours-ish away from his hometown for health reasons most likely due to long term adderall usage.
I don't know much about adderall dosage, but I know he has been taking quite a lot for about 4-6 years now, with the doses and frequency increasing as time proceeded. Unfortunately I really don't have an idea of the dosage he was on, but I know it was high.
He has definitely acted extremely strange in the recent year or two, but have mostly brushed it off due to the adderall. But anything he says is pretty much nonsense...It's very hard to follow any thoughts.
Can anyone share some experiences of long term amphetamine/adderall usage that has induced anything at all?
Thanks in advance.

Stimulant psycoses is likely what he is experiencing.

Stimulant psychosis
Amphetamine-induced Psychosis
Stimulant psychosis: systematic review
Psychotic and Manic-like Symptoms During Stimulant Treatment of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder

[trigger warning as this thread is in DC] Who are the shadow people?

I hope your relative makes a full recovery. Usually the symptoms go away pretty quickly with cessation of the drug. But once someone begins to experience these symptoms they will not be able to take much of the drug and not experience them. I say this is a great time for your relative to address and overcome their addiction.

Last edited:
Hi critterdude,

IME persistent use of amphetamines often leads of paranoid delusions, it's a scary thing to see happening to someone close to you. There would be little to be gained by trying to understand someone behavior when in that state, only they know what (they think) is going on.

From a practical perspective I've found it better to not challenge these delusions if possible, it tends to result in further upset and you could well end up as part of some complex non-existant conspiracy:\

Ceasing taking these substances and the correct care as well as time are going to be great healers. Most people respond well to clean living and return to 'base camp'.

Your relative is a lucky person if they have family that care and will stand by them through what is likely to be a difficult experience. My best wishes to yourself and your family <3

Hi. I had a psychotic break from a combination of LSD/Weed and right after starting on antidepressants and taking alcohol somewhat regularly. I have a history of schizophrenia in the family (two uncles and a cousin). I was diagnosed with psychotic depression and told im going to have to take antipsychotics for my entire life. I was thinking of getting a second opinion, but I did get psychotic really bad for 2 and a half months and I was getting worse when I was committed and drugged against my will (because I told the doctor I had thought of suicide, which I guess counts of harm to myself). Its been two years now, and Im getting better. Im 25. I get weird dreams and I orgasm too quickly as a side effect of sustenna, which is an improvement from not getting a libido at all on a higher dosis/other medication.

Any suggestions on what should I do?

Im 25. I get weird dreams and I orgasm too quickly as a side effect of sustenna, which is an improvement from not getting a libido at all on a higher dosis/other medication.

Any suggestions on what should I do?

What's up dongitsu,

Sorry to hear about the mental issues. I'm in no way capable of commenting on that.

Now I'm no Dr. but about the above comment, wear a condom. I mean you'll become similar to a woman, in the sense it takes them, most, a while to orgasm.

Hopefully this provided a little levity, I'm sure it will just take time for your body to adjust. Good luck.

Bob

You could have something other than psychotic depression.........It may be SZ or something else....no one here can tell you what's up.....I had a psychotic break from weed shrooms meth oxy's and other drugs I was mixing......Today I try not to focus on a label rather just treat the symptoms......I have wanted to stop my meds but fear the withdrawals to the point I just stay on them.......Go get a second opinion from a pdoc if you think you need one. It wouldn't hurt....

From what i can read you havent been psychotic for two year now, but lately you have experienced weird dreams and trouble with orgasms that you link to your medication?
Did you have these side effects from the start or just lately, did you check and/or made sure it is being caused by the medication?

Just thinking about suicide is no reason to force medication on somebody (where im from anyway), you must be in acute danger because either you have tried it in the past, say you will do it or when other peoples lifes are in danger because.
Were you psychotic when you talked about the suicidal thoughts? I can imagine thats a justification because in a psychotic state there is no ability for rational thinking and decision making.

If i were you i wouldnt really question the diagnosis, you said you did get a psychotic episode and you take medication that seems to work, what seems to bother you is that the side effect are no longer acceptable.

Go to a doctor to talk about lowering or changing the medication, in a extreme case you could quit the medication to see what happens, when you are fine it could be about time to start questioning your diagnosis.
Do not try to do this on your own without supervision, its dangerous.

Anyway, go to your docter :)

Hi Dongitsu,

It's difficult to offer anything like good advice about such things with the little information that can be gleaned on an internet forum. As others have mentioned you really should try talking this through with the doctor that has prescribed your medication.

If I'm reading what you're saying correctly it sounds like you had a bad experience with LSD and this seemed to trigger an unpleasant episode or psychosis. Now some time later you feel you may actually be well and no longer require your medication ?

IME it's very common to feel you can stop medication as soon as the symptoms subside but it can be the last thing that you should do, this isnt limited to mental health issues.

Stability of you mental health issues isnt something you should take for granted but I do understand your desire to get away from the side effects these medications tend to cause.

Talk it through with your doctor, maybe you could start by just reducing the dosage and see how you get on, don't rush thinsg or you may end up going backwards

What's up dongitsu,

Sorry to hear about the mental issues. I'm in no way capable of commenting on that.

Now I'm no Dr. but about the above comment, wear a condom. I mean you'll become similar to a woman, in the sense it takes them, most, a while to orgasm.

Hopefully this provided a little levity, I'm sure it will just take time for your body to adjust. Good luck.

Bob

Yeah, i'm adjusting.

You could have something other than psychotic depression.........It may be SZ or something else....no one here can tell you what's up.....I had a psychotic break from weed shrooms meth oxy's and other drugs I was mixing......Today I try not to focus on a label rather just treat the symptoms......I have wanted to stop my meds but fear the withdrawals to the point I just stay on them.......Go get a second opinion from a pdoc if you think you need one. It wouldn't hurt....

Its a possibility

Hi Dongitsu,

It's difficult to offer anything like good advice about such things with the little information that can be gleaned on an internet forum. As others have mentioned you really should try talking this through with the doctor that has prescribed your medication.

If I'm reading what you're saying correctly it sounds like you had a bad experience with LSD and this seemed to trigger an unpleasant episode or psychosis. Now some time later you feel you may actually be well and no longer require your medication ?

IME it's very common to feel you can stop medication as soon as the symptoms subside but it can be the last thing that you should do, this isnt limited to mental health issues.

Stability of you mental health issues isnt something you should take for granted but I do understand your desire to get away from the side effects these medications tend to cause.

Talk it through with your doctor, maybe you could start by just reducing the dosage and see how you get on, don't rush thinsg or you may end up going backwards

I didnt have a bad experience at all. I just had psychosis right after using LSD and weed combined. I had had a bad experience with weed a couple months before.
But yeah, point taken.

From what i can read you havent been psychotic for two year now, but lately you have experienced weird dreams and trouble with orgasms that you link to your medication?
Did you have these side effects from the start or just lately, did you check and/or made sure it is being caused by the medication?

Just thinking about suicide is no reason to force medication on somebody (where im from anyway), you must be in acute danger because either you have tried it in the past, say you will do it or when other peoples lifes are in danger because.
Were you psychotic when you talked about the suicidal thoughts? I can imagine thats a justification because in a psychotic state there is no ability for rational thinking and decision making.

If i were you i wouldnt really question the diagnosis, you said you did get a psychotic episode and you take medication that seems to work, what seems to bother you is that the side effect are no longer acceptable.

Go to a doctor to talk about lowering or changing the medication, in a extreme case you could quit the medication to see what happens, when you are fine it could be about time to start questioning your diagnosis.
Do not try to do this on your own without supervision, its dangerous.

Anyway, go to your docter :)

I had them from the start, and its getting better. It is being caused by the medication.
I told him I tried it (suicide) on the past but I kind of turned a binge drinking episode into a suicide attempt into my mind because I wanted antidepressants badly.
He says I got committed because of that, but im under the impression it was because I was psychotic and refused the medication I was offered. Im not really sure but I dont think doctors need much of a justification for committing people here. I didnt mention much of my psychosis to him, but my family did (I could kinda sense something was off and was ashamed of it).
In retrospect it was a really stupid thing to do but I knew of the side effects of that kind of medication and I didnt want that kind of thing in my system.

Get a second opinion. Paliperidone is basically the active metabolite of risperidone so they have the same side effects and risperidone is not recommended in treating HPPD but i don't know about a psychotic break. You may not have to take it forever as the psychosis might very well clear up if that's what you even have.

I have never taken Invega but i have taken Risperdal which has the same side effect profile and it's not the most pleasant drug once you get above 2mg's.

I'm on 4 mg of risperdal and when I have tried to lower it I get the worst withdrawal symptoms....I was on Invega and had really no problem getting off that but that was also after surgery where I was given a lot of pain killers.......so that mostly masked the withdraws.

My buddy has been on a mean dxm binge for the past 8 months and from so much use he got himself into this psychosis that has been ruining his life. Just to get an idea how gone he is, he drank delsym and then a bottle of instant release robotussin and walked to his x gf's house 9 miles away at 5 in the morning carrying a huge sword from his sword collection because he thought he was a knight going to get his princess. Now dont get me wrong ive had a huge problem in the past with dxm and did some crazy stuff but my buddy is on another level. I cant talk to him because he essentially thinks hes a god and that he has met his creator and knows everything about life ect. His parents are fucking distraught because they have no idea what do to seeing hes crazy when hes sober in between trips and when hes tripping its downright scary because he just sits there and has this diabolical laugh when u try to talk to him about tripping to much. I feel like its only a matter of time before he goes out tripping at night and gets hit by a car seeing that ive tried crossing many streets in my day of tripping and when your on the doses he takes like over a gram within 3 hrs you have little to no depth perception and its difficult to even move but he loves walking around pretty much wandering the streets like an insane person at night even with the snow seeing i live in ny. Any suggestions on how to deal with someone in that situation? hospitalizing or institutions dont work seeings hes already been there 5 times. Thanks for any suggestions!

I would attempt if possible to gradually lower his dosage. Be it thinning out his bottle when he is not looking or pinch his powder. Having been in a DXM hole it is a severely altered reality. Dysphoria, loss of coordination, spactial and depth perception severely off. Hallucinations make normal sight and recognaisance impossible. Motor control is sloppy and bumbling. ou must get him out of that gradually.

<snip> When he communicates explain how detremental and disturbing his actions are to those around him.

Last edited by a moderator:
hospitalizing or institutions dont work seeings hes already been there 5 times

Might not keep him off DXM, but if he's actually psychotic you and his family are in no position to help. Psychosis calls for benzos to subdue the unwilling, anti-psychotics, and professional supervision.

Also, recommending anyone taking amphetamines is against the rules (unless they're currently addicted to meth, for example) but for a psychotic person is a whole new level of stupid. Also, since there was no mention of an amphetamine addiction the tolerance aspect means nothing.

I can only imagine how you and his family are terrified for him. Has anyone considered that it may not be all DXM? Could he actually be showing the first signs of schizophrenia?

I agree with above posters,this is not a typical "my friend is taking drugs and i dont know what to do" type of situation,being in a state where he carries a sword around with him in the middle of the night means he could easily get hurt or hurt and even kill someone else.The fact that all he does is that "evil laugh" when you talk to him emphasises that the situation is critical and drastic measures should be taken,even if this means to take some unpleasant actions.

I would almost never recommend something like this if the case was opiates/benzos/regular uppers etc but since were talking about dangerous psychosis here,id even consider making an anonymous call one of the nights hes doing life threatening nonsense and report that a nutjob is wandering the streets with a sword in his hands,so they get him commited to maybe a psych ward for a couple of weeks,just to give him a chance to bounce back to reality.

Of course,i wouldnt want to do something that would get him in serious trouble or stigmatise him for the rest of his life,so if you think that things would become too complicated(i guess that depends on how mental health systems work in different countries) maybe you should talk with his parents and plan together something.

Understanding what psychosis really is, I cannot imagine him wanting to continue. Most people do not even realize they are in a psychotic state, obviously. The psychosis can progress rapidly and very negatively and can come on quickly and without notice. However, the speed of onset is varied and the more gradual the more tolerated it tends to be to the sufferer as they become more accustomed to the bends in thier reality. (i.e. voices, visual/auditory distortion and hallucinations including perceptual anomilies) In either instance pychotic episodes rarely end well mentally or physically, so this person requires help regardless of specific circumstances.

If 5 hospilizations haven't worked, then perhaps they weren't specific enough. Make sure he lands one for psychosis or psychotic symptoms. If he perpetually resists to the detrement of himself and others, I would agree with black kat and call that padded wagon to pick him up. Most of the time drug induced psychosis can be reversed with abstinence of symptom inducing substance or in combination with different anti-psychotic meds. Most likely he in his right mind does not wish to be pressing the boundries of fate with potential prolonged psychosis.

Here is a facebook post from him showing just how much his ego is going insane due to the use...and keep in mind this guy is 26 lives at home and is unemployed and to put it lightly...not quite attractive.
I like how a bitch wit big tits and a nice ass can get 100 likes for a picture of a minor achievement. Let's clear something up here those aren't congratulations. It's like 100 dudes trying to get in your pants. Sorry to speak for myself and my friends.....but I could post a college diploma or gold and silver medals from grappling tournaments in college or gloves with the blood of my former victims on them from mma matches and get 1 like. I don't mind the attention you get for free and I'm only slightly jealous as I get plenty of attention myself although it's not girls trying to get into my pants because then I'd have stds. Not a big fan of condoms. No I get plenty of recognition for my hard work as a writer, comedian, poet, musician, athlete and all the other shit I am. "Scientist, philosopher, psychiatrist, carpenter (long fuckin list and this isn't a quarter of it)." As long as you understand no one gives a shit and you get likes for being pretty mostly and that's about it.------enjoy that hha