• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA] Sleeping on Cannabis

that's exatly it. if you've been having a spliff before bed consistently your body will be used to the drugs in your system that make it easier to fall asleep. if you don't smoke one night your mind will probably be racing and the general feeling of things like your covers etc won't be as nice as usual. you'll suffer from insomnia until your body gets used to the cycle without cannabis.
try sleep aids on the nights you don't have weed, plan to go bed later or have breaks in between your smoking days.

Yes, it was definetly the lack of weed.
My advice would be to stay away from that good night joint, or at least try to do it the least possible.

Your body will just not feel relaxed enough to sleep without the weed - but don't worry, this will only last 4 or 5 days, well depending on how much you used to smoke.

Beware of that last joint of the day!

^^^^
yes, more than likely it was, unless you had something like caffeine during the day?

If im high and i go to sleep i get knock off in like 2 minutes, but its weird when i wake up i can never remember my dreams if i was toking before i went to sleep

I am not a regular pot smoker (nor a big fan of it), however I love having a pill on the odd occasion or speed, to ensure when I finally do decide to go home that I can go to sleep, I will puff away on a joint and chill out for about half an hour to an hour and then crash. The sleep is amazing, without it there would be no sleep, so I am very thankful. However the length of the sleep is varied, anywhere from 3 hours to 12 hours. I suppose that all depends on what I have taken and other factors, but I am always very thankful for the dope!:|

it doens't let you quite reach REM i believe. sure gets me to sleep faster tho.

Cannabis, does decrease the amount of REM sleep that you get, as does OTC sleeping aids. The only dreams you can remember, are in the dreams during the REM state.

If you stop using cannabis, or sleep-aids after a legnthy period, you will experiend REM Rebound, where the dreams are much longer than usual and more intense. A large amount of people find these difficult and so the dreams turn into nightmares.

I used to dread trying to sleep after I had been smoking for a while. I'd have nightmares for upto 10 days after. The best way to deal with it I found is by practicing lucid dreaming, where if I find myself in a nightmare I can try and steer it into something more comfortable!

Happy dreaming :-D

i find it hard to sleep if i havent smoked enough weed during the day, but not that hard. i usually can still sleep if i go a day without smoking.

i always try to get an above average amount of exercise on the days that i dont smoke, not only so i can sleep better but so i feel better about myself

Unlike most here, I really can't sleep when i'm high. My mind is just RACING, and I can't stop it. When it's morning, I feel like I have been in a semi-sleep state all the time.

:(

Does weed disrupt REM sleep?

Does weed effect REM sleep in anyway?

I know that alcohol disrupts REM sleep, and that going long periods of time without sufficient REM sleep can cause emotional and psychological problems.

I had to go WAY back in the liturature, but you might find these two abstracts interesting. They're mainly concerned with withdrawal, but still, have a read:

The effect of chronically administered delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol upon the polygraphically monitored sleep of normal volunteers.

Freemon FR.
Drug Alcohol Depend. 10(4) 345-53.

This study describes the effect of two weeks of delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) administration upon normal sleep. The two subjects, two brothers in their 20s, slept in the laboratory for 27 consecutive nights and then, after four nights at home, for four additional nights. One subject, after an adaption night, received placebo for four baseline nights, 30 mg of THC for the next 14 nights, and placebo during four withdrawal nights. The other subject received placebo during this entire period. One year later the subjects alternated these conditions. The subjects had difficulty falling and staying asleep during the first two nights of placebo after 14 consecutive drug nights. This mild drug withdrawal insomnia was not accompanied by the increase of REM sleep which frequently accompanies withdrawal of other drugs. Starting after about a week of THC administration, and continuing for a week after drug discontinuance, there was a marked decrease in the type of sleep associated with slow waves in the electroencephalogram, nonREM sleep stages 3 and 4. The fact that prolonged, but not acute use, suppresses slow wave sleep indicates that this commonly used drug produces a poorly understood change in brain physiology.

Effects of marijuana extract and tetrahydrocannabinol on electroencephalographic sleep patterns.

Feinberg I, Jones R, Walker J, Cavness C, Floyd T.
Clin Pharmacol Ther. 19(6) 782-94.

Marijuana extract, given in daily doses containing 70 to 210 mg delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), induced effects on sleep that were virtually identical to those produced by the same doses of relatively pure (96%) THC. Both drugs reduced eye movements density with some tolerance developing to this effect. Stage 4 tendend to increase with drug administration. Abrupt withdrawal led to extremely high densities of eye movement, increased rapid eye movement (REM) durations, and a sharp but transient fall in stage 4 to baseline levels. These effects may be useful in the elucidation of the pharmacology of sleep. The effects on sleep of THC administration (but not withdrawal) closely resemble those induced by lithium. For this reason, we suggest further studies of THC in affective disorders. Evidence available thus far suggests that THC produces dysphoric symptoms in unipolar but not in bipolar depressed patients; these differences in response may prove of diagnostic value. An adequate therapeutic trial of THC in bipolar depressed patients has not yet been carried out.

for all insominiacs, try out melatonine. i've given it to two friends and practically knocked them out, (they claim) one is a pretty heavy weed smoker, the other a non-user of any drugs.

melatonine is OTC, btw.

last night i relized how good of a sleep aid weed is. i hadn't smoked the whole day and i knew that i wouldn't be able to go to sleep very well. so after about an hour of tossing and turning, i decided to smoke some resin out of my hitter. right when i was done smoking, i went right back to bed and all the racing thoughts in my head went away and i was able to go to sleep.

I just had an awful expreience last night. I tried to sleep sleep whilst still at the peak of the high and it did not work at all. I was just tossing and tunring all night long with thoughts racing through my head distracting me from sleeping.
Very different from the times that I've come home a good 3-4 hours after I've smoked and just flopped on my bed and had a wonderful night's sleep.
So for me,going to sleep whilst still high is a no go, but hitting the sack on the "comedown" works out alot better. Guess I have to plan out my smoking a bit better from now on, because last night really was horrible :(

^^^
i usually never smoke less than 2 hours before i go to bed for this exact purpose. also, i rather would be high then be sleeping

srry for bumping this one :)

for all the long-time smokers who havent been dreaming for a while i've got A solution ;)

well : in the weekend for example you wake up , well dont stand up --> stay in bed longer and fall asleep again , i assure you if you do that several times you'll dream.
i myself have been smoking the last year and a half ,every day .
Also before sleeping:\ ,
and so it was really amazing to dream again after a while
just try it , and it'l work :)

honestly, its very hard for me to sleep without weed, on weed i can sleep without waking up like 5 times a nite and usually feel more engerized in the morning