• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA] Making hash/kief/cannabis extracts

I'm pretty sure you'll be extracting all, or a lot of the cannabinoids, both active and inactive. As their similar chemical structures and properties would cause them to all be extracted by the same methods.... Right?

I'm pretty sure you'll be extracting all, or a lot of the cannabinoids, both active and inactive. As their similar chemical structures and properties would cause them to all be extracted by the same methods.... Right?
Correct. The cannabinoids found in weed posess the same properties as the active delta-9-THC, as such they would be extracted alongside it.

you guys are partly correct but most of the unwanted properties are water soluble and the active and wanted ones which we seek to extract are not so therefore we can remove some of the unwanted chemicals before the extractions.. and to answer the other question yes there are many much more complicated methods of extraction than the supercritical fluid extraction.

is their more complicated options other then butane extraction?

I think the top end process is considered to be CO2 super-critical extraction. It's orders of magnitude more difficult than butane extraction, but has some advantages such as not extracting the wax and not leaving residue. It's how food grade extracted oils are made from other herbs professionally. Due to the pressure and complexity it's a five figure investment.

A diagram:
NSFW:
supercriticalco2.jpg

It's become a hot discussion since the california appeals court decided last year in the bergen case that chemical solvent extraction methods such as butane or iso-alcohol are illegal (as far as manufacturing) when mechanical separation via sifts, cold water and non-chemical lipids (butter, cooking oil) wouldn't be under prop 215. Some believe the courts wouldn't consider CO2 or steam to be chemical solvents, even though they really are because the law in question was intended to address environmental impact. Nobody has tested it though. A decent amount of co-ops have stopped stocking oil because of this, and a couple have apparently picked up a source for CO2 extracted oil instead. But I haven't seen it in person and knowing the market it's very possible it's bullshit. Probably would take GC to prove a lack of butane residue to know for sure.

Technically I think butane extraction isn't actually super-critical, and other than CO2 and steam there aren't other methods "beyond" butane being used - certainly not "many other" methods at least. Practically people pretty much use sifting, scissor/finger, ice water bags, isopropyl shakes, butane (or similar) and CO2 (theoretically at least). I don't think people are using other methods to any real degree in the US.

It's all kid stuff compared to the Skunkman's secret 99.9% dry sift method though. Never have I seen anything like this, it's crazy. Yield is supposed to be 1g-3g per kilo of bud, ahaha. The pictures are in fucking credible: (warning, makes the best kief you ever make seem totally 3rd rate)

NSFW:
samsdrysift.jpg

cheers

Yes there are several more complicated procedures that i've created which entail several different extractions to seperate the various cbd's and tar.

Okay first things first. Weed has over fifty active chemicals and at least twenty inactive ones. We'll start with tar. tar is essentially the main thing you want removed from your smoke due to it's carcinogenic properties. The nifty thing about tar though is that unlike thc and the other cannabinoids it's water soluable. Which means what class?

Is there tar in the plant before you smoke it? I was under the impression that tar was a byproduct of smoking.

What about hexane extraction? I wouldn't fuck with it since it's toxic as hell but it should work really well right? 8)

Mad Hatter when I'm taking a class I expect the teacher to be on call answering questions!! Wtf are you doing off getting stoned?? EHH??

in this thread i'm going to discuss the different processes and methods of extracting the thc and active cannabinoids from m-j..first we'll start with the crudest and simplest method which'd be a typical solvent extraction using acetone as the solvent..then we'll move up to the more complicated methods such as a supercritical fluid extraction using iso-butane as the solvent.. any questions?

butane extracts/concentrates are all the rage it seems...I only mess with cold water extracts, try to keep things natural :)

Im curious whether its just subtle differences in procedures that really change the results. Like budder, i know its an iso method (unless im mistaken) but its just subtle differences in the procedure that produce it. Like whipping it with air.

Id be curious to know more of the subtle differences and how it can really effect the end product.

AND I THINK YOU NEED TO GET TO THE LESSON PLAN HERE. I WAS ON TIME TO CLASS WHERE WERE YOU?! Lol