MEGA - Jobs, Resumes, Interviews

Hmmm... I think retired chemist makes a very reasonable case.

But unless you actually DO need special accommodations, I don't think you should provide any type of advance notice. Crutch on in with a smile and a handshake, and do your thing.

If no special accommodation is needed, then there's simply no reason to call and tell them. HR wouldn't feel caught unaware since they wouldn't do anything differently.

Sudden surprises are not always viewed as disappointments. They can be positive (wow, this guy is much more charismatic, and seems to have an even firmer grasp of this business than I would have thought) or neutral (the next applicant comes in on crutches).

All in all, though, we're discussing a factor that is going to be non-determinative with respect to getting hired. Just don't cancel or bow out early.

I agree with the above in that I don't see this working against you, lest you beg for sympathy or something. If you come to the interview and proceed as if you were not on crutches, chances are your interviewer will be the first to make mention of it. From this point, I would briefly explain what happened and how long you've been on them, but don't go into too much detail. Likely your interviewer will move on to the next topic sooner than later if s/he feels that talking about your injury is becoming too much of a tangent.

I understand your concern, but honestly I don't think you have anything to worry about. Let us know how it goes, and if you get the job! :)

I think everyone is giving this waaay too much thought.

It's not like she broke her ankle just to fuck with them. Also, it's not like she's in a wheelchair, it will just take a bit of extra time to get from point A to point B.

As someone else mentioned, use it as an ice-breaker and carry on business as usual.

Wonder how the interview went?

they decided friday was just for a chat and i'm now scheduled for the onsite interview on tuesday. a random curveball was thrown in and i now have to write a one page paper and prepare a 10 minute power point presentation on 'a topic of my choice'. i find this so ridiculously open ended that i'm going to present on the importance of clear and achievable goals just to quietly give these guys the finger.

i did tell them about the crutches. we already have a bit of a rapport and i want to build trust through honesty and transparency. i also don't really want this job so i don't mind giving them every external reason to pull the plug. things seem to be progressing despite my flippant attitude though, so i'm going to do my part and make a respectable effort. i think interviewing keeps me sharp so it's all useful practice in my opinion.

i find it amusing that everyone was against bowing out of the interview, as if doctor's orders, post-surgical pain, and a stomach full of meds aren't good enough reasons to bail. maybe bluelighters have a better work ethic than i give them credit for ;)

Good idea about the power point. :)

If you want to be really silly, put the company's logo on your crutches as a sticker and tell them that you're willing to do free advertising!

Let us know how Monday goes!

I thought you really, really wanted this job!! lol

Oh well, do let us know how it goes. Great idea for your power point presentation too!!

i find it amusing that everyone was against bowing out of the interview, as if doctor's orders, post-surgical pain, and a stomach full of meds aren't good enough reasons to bail. maybe bluelighters have a better work ethic than i give them credit for ;)

Bluelighters are just used to fronting up to work on drugs and in disrepair.

haha, what do you want to know? this thread was about how to approach a situation like this in a professional manner, not my one job interview ;)

the presentation was good though - they thought the topic of goal alignment and all that was "timely" and had no idea i was making fun of them. i actually came off really well even though i was on my pain meds and a bit uncomfortable without my leg elevated. aside from wearing wider legged pants, i treated this as i would have most other interviews and i think that was the right approach. i'm also happy that i mentioned the crutches ahead of time; as it turned out the guy had just gotten off crutches himself two weeks ago following a knee injury so he could totally relate.

i'm still not into this job (it's too far out of town and the industry the software supports is super boring :eek:) but it was useful practice and i'm glad i followed through.

haha, what do you want to know? this thread was about how to approach a situation like this in a professional manner, not my one job interview ;)

Um, you're quite right that was the topic for this thread. ;)

I was interested in your power point presentation and how the topic was met (as in did they realize you were making fun of them?). Also, knowing that you really aren't interested in this particular position I had this feeling that they would offer you the job. :\ Isn't that always the way? lol I was laid off several months ago (job outsourced overseas) but I was driving 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 hours a day and I know how important location is and that you at least somewhat enjoy the work you'll be doing.

Also I just realized that I was acting like a nosy busybody!!8o Oops!!

Last edited:
Getting a job...any job

Hey blue lighters. I'm an 18 year old college student and I've been trying to get my first job for about 6 months now...and it's fucking hard. I must be doing something wrong. Everybody I know is getting jobs left and right so I thought, instead of asking the people I hang out with (who don't partake in any drugs whatsoever) why not ask some of the educated drug-using clique here on Bluelight?

I've been sober for about 4 months now trying to stay clean for, what I believe to be the best job...it's right across the street from my school, and right down the street from these really cheap, really nice apartments that I was going to move in to with my friends. Only problem is, all three of those friends have had a job at this place for months and they're moving in sometime April.

Basically, if I don't get the okay from this job, the complex will get some random dude who CAN pay the rent to live there.

Just a little background for you guys.

So do you have any tips at all? I've submitted many applications, followed up regularly, been to some interviews, and I'm still being denied all these jobs. I need to move out of my parents house as they are simply unbearable. My dad talks to squirrells every morning...

So fellow, drug users of the working class...what am I doing wrong?

Cliffs: What is a the best way to get a job with no prior work experience?

Have you tried fast food, grocery stores, clothing stores, restaurants, bars? Those were my first jobs. Other than just applying and doing your best at the interview I dunno what else you can do. You'll eventually get a job if you put in a lot of applications. The market is tight for jobs, lots of applicants so its not a surprise that its hard to get a job but with persistence you'll get one eventually. Just keep trying.

I just moved to a new town and had to take a job at Mc donalds which I have never been willing to do before but sometimes bills come a calling.

I'm in the same boat as you, I just don't got a resume :( I can't write a resume with no work exp. And I can get a high paying job with my dad,but that's not untill I can get a grade 12 ir GED. Uggh anyone wanna help me write a resume with no work exp? Shoot me a pm

I highly reccommend taking a lifeguard training class and working as a LG. A well-paid job, considering how much "work" you do, and sometimes the city (or whoever is holding the class), will do it for free if you sign to work for them.

You're a college student? What are you studying? And what kind of jobs have you been applying for?