MEGA - Jobs, Resumes, Interviews

ye i know what youre saying man

im just going to concentrate on boxing. At least when I mention to people im doing boxing they all say 'fair play' or have some sort of respect for me just because I do boxing.

I'd take one course to ease yourself into the system. What discipline do you prefer? Sciences, Arts, or Humanities/Social Sciences?

I don't know how it works in the UK, but here in Canada there are ways to get into accredited Universities without having stellar secondary school marks. It would help if you were a minority, an immigrant, a mature student, or a College grad, but I'm sure there's still a way. Do some research.

community college? not sure if that exists in the UK but anyone can enroll in a class at a community college here, you don't have to have a high dilploma (i took a lot of classes at community colleges when i was in high school because i missed months of school at a time).
in california anyway you can also get into a UC or cal state by going through the community college route which is what a lot of my friends have done. but i have no idea how the education system in the uk works...

you can get a certificate in the field of your interest without having to go full time. you can take one or two classes a quarter, i think.

In the states a lot of decent universities have online programs. You can even do a whole degree online.

But maybe just take one course online and see how you do. That course will help you exercise your mind and if u do enough of them with good grades you will be able to get into a regular program at a good school.

Why don't u to therapy? CBT works great for depression and anxiety. That would improve your life so much. In the US, don't know about UK, there are university programs that charge like $15 per session. A year of therapy with a course per semester plus working out and eating well would 100% improve the quality of your life.

^^

Yea I can def understand that...\

Ive spent 6 yrs in the military and Im scared as shit to get out b/c Ill be giving up one of the most steadiest and secure jobs you can have....Although the military isnt as bad as some might think (im in the Air Force, in a technical field) it def isnt me and I think I can do more with my life financially and more importantly something more fulfilling

Anyways, on to my point, look at the commitment req for each of those choices. Dont think that you're stuck in anything.

The grad school option sounds like the best one but IMO that will always be there.....

I highly recommend you you look further into teaching english abroad. I lived in Germany for 3 years and it was the most eye opening, life changing, best experience of my life. Living overseas is def something I think everyone should experience. I know it sounds scary and I also understand that there's quite a culture diff b/w Europe and Thailand. But as you mentioned previously its only a 6 month commitment. And 6 monIths isnt long at all.

I understand you questioning the safety issue of Thailand and I wish I could shed some light on it but unfortunately Ive never been there (although I know quite a few people that have been stationed there....Females too and i havent heard have any safety issues). However, look closer into where exactly you will be going. There's quite a diff from city to city Im sure

You'll be able to experience another country, save some money and grad school will always be there to go back to....

Other mentioned other countries you can teach English at and Id look into those as well. I know Ill def consider something like that when I graduate as Id love to experience Asia...

Best of luck w/ whatever decision you make and be sure to report back!

Go to grad school. Remember, if you have school loans and take a year off you'll have to start paying them back if you are gone for more than 3 (I think?) months. I took a semester off - 1 semester! - and had to start paying back one of my loans.

Letters of Recommendation

After speaking to my adviser, I need 3 letters of recommendation for grad school. 2 of these need to be from my professors. I emailed 3 of my professors and 2 responded positively, but they want me to come to their office.

I was fine with this and even excited that it wasn't as hard as I imagined, but now I'm a little nervous. Do they quiz you? One professor was from 2007. He was cool and wanted me to lay out some info about myself and come to his office. The other professor, who I lovvvvve but she is a snooty Aussie (I say that in a nice way lol), wants me to come by her office.

Do they quiz you or anything before giving you a letter? At first I was all excited, but now I'm wondering if they will start asking me organic chem and anatomy questions. LOL

So, I'm wondering how others got their letters. Did you get them straight from professors? I still need 1 more after these 2 and the 3rd professor hasn't responded yet. I plan to ask another if she doesn't answer in a few days.

They shouldn't. The letters of recommendation should come from how they've experienced you in their classes. "Lysis is a good example of a detail oriented student because XYZ", etc. :)

I haven't gotten my letters yet, as I don't need them right away, but I've actually been asked by professors and coordinators if they can write recommendation letters.

I'll think you'll find that the letters can be a little generic, at times, but not to worry.

Breathe, girl, breathe. :)

Thanks! I go to see the first one tomorrow. Both professors seemed cool about it, but I just was afraid I'd start to get quizzed in their office off guard and started freaking out.

Thank you!

After speaking to my adviser, I need 3 letters of recommendation for grad school. 2 of these need to be from my professors. I emailed 3 of my professors and 2 responded positively, but they want me to come to their office.

I was fine with this and even excited that it wasn't as hard as I imagined, but now I'm a little nervous. Do they quiz you? One professor was from 2007. He was cool and wanted me to lay out some info about myself and come to his office. The other professor, who I lovvvvve but she is a snooty Aussie (I say that in a nice way lol), wants me to come by her office.

Do they quiz you or anything before giving you a letter? At first I was all excited, but now I'm wondering if they will start asking me organic chem and anatomy questions. LOL

So, I'm wondering how others got their letters. Did you get them straight from professors? I still need 1 more after these 2 and the 3rd professor hasn't responded yet. I plan to ask another if she doesn't answer in a few days.

I got one from my psych. professor in College to use for employment. She asked me a bunch of questions about myself, what I took from school, and my grades and basically just wrote a bunch of fluffy bullshit about how smart and eager I am.

That's pretty much what I was looking for, but overall I found the process a bit awkward.

It is also good to give them your statement of purpose/letter of intent (whatever you want to call it) so that they can tailor their response to what you are writing. Don't wait to get all of your letters of rec because it can be very stressful when an application deadline is coming up and the school still hasn't received your letters of rec (this happened to me).

I was fine with this and even excited that it wasn't as hard as I imagined, but now I'm a little nervous. Do they quiz you?

No, this would be outside of social protocol. :) In my experience, if the Prof. is less familiar with you, she may ask to see some graded written work from a class you took from her or something.

If the Prof. doesn't think that you're 'up to snuff' to the point where he could write a good letter, he probably would have already e-mailed you with something like, "Well, to get the best letter of rec' possible, you might want to ask another instructor, to whom you handed in the best written work of yours."

ebola

They shouldn't. The letters of recommendation should come from how they've experienced you in their classes. "Lysis is a good example of a detail oriented student because XYZ", etc. :)

I haven't gotten my letters yet, as I don't need them right away, but I've actually been asked by professors and coordinators if they can write recommendation letters.

I'll think you'll find that the letters can be a little generic, at times, but not to worry.

Breathe, girl, breathe. :)

Agreed. When my profs have asked me to come and talk to them before writing letters it's usually been because they didn't know me that well and wanted some specifics they could put in their letter. But if they were unsure about your capabilites they would not agree to write you a letter. :)

Thank you everyone for the support.

Just to give an update (in case anyone else is doing the same):

I saw my one professor. I have mad respect for this professor. She's a hard ass bitch but one of the ONLY chem professors who could drill chemistry into my head to where I actually understood. She asked me for a 2 page essay on my dreams, career background, and goals. This is the same as what my other professor asked. She asked for my grade record, and who the letter needs to be addressed to. I'm pretty stoked to get a letter from her. She's a mini genius and well respected. She's only about 3 years older than I am and has a ton of credentials.

I still need to take the GRE, but I really think a 1200 + is easily possible. I'm hoping for a 1400 though.

I'm totally psyched to get into a master's program! My major will be biomedical sciences, so I imagine there is a lot of competition, which has me worried. IF all else fails, I will uproot myself and move in with my sister and apply in Tennessee. I reeeeeally don't want to do it, but I would like to get involved in the medical community and I think this is the answer.

Just some friendly advice. I would not email a professor regarding a LOR.

The best approach it to speak with them after class or set an appointment to speak with them about.

If you are not apprehensive and scared, there is something wrong with you. However, one of my pol sci profs was very approachable. There was this other prof that sat on the national counsel board that finds lawyers to come to speak at various schools and had a program that pared lawyer wannabess with practicing attorneys. He had contacts with every single law school in the USA and a few abroad. I had taken several of his courses but I was so stressed because I knew his LOR could literally make a difference a safety school and a top school. Got accepted to each school I applied to. Sweeeeet...

^Backing up what PottedMeat said, I'd talk to the profs in person while asking them to write an LOR. You can maybe schedule a time (perhaps during slow office hours?) to talk to them about an LOR, and it's best to talk to professors that will remember you, in particular professors who you either worked for or in whose classes you contributed frequently.

Have at least an outline of your post-graduation research/schooling/career goals available to them, perhaps even in printable format, to jog their memory in your interests and help them write a more personalized letter for whatever your post-grad interests may be. Professors see many students each day, let alone each semester, so whatever can help them tailor their letter to YOU, will help you as well!

Your school should have a credentials filing service or similarly-named option available to you, take advantage of that and have the professor(s) forward the letters to this service in addition to sending it directly to whatever schools you are interested in for post-grad work. Remember to waive your right to see these letters with the credentials filing office; some grad schools won't even accept LORs that you have the option to read (even if you don't read them!)

Oh, and Lysis, feel free to PM me with any other questions you may have about grad school or post-graduate options. Myself and my siblings were all involved in this process not so long ago, and my mom works as an advisor to college students, so I can probably answer some of the questions you may have or get advice from my kith (and kin!) if I don't have the answers readily available.

Just some friendly advice. I would not email a professor regarding a LOR.

Worked fine for me. Consider, though, proposing to set up a time to meet with the prof in the e-mail.

ebola

Worked fine for me. Consider, though, proposing to set up a time to meet with the prof in the e-mail.

ebola

Worked fine for me too. My one one professor asked me to do everything electronically (I actually just heard back from her and she's giving me a letter), my other professor said to send her my info in her departmental mailbox since it's easier for me (I was even surprised about that one LOL), and the other professor said to just drop by his office any time.

Maybe I just got lucky, but all 3 of the professors I asked were really cool about it.