MEGA - Jobs, Resumes, Interviews

you must have experience on job app, If you have having no luck, lie on your app, can't hurt since you aren't succeeding anyways. look for a big box store that has closed and say you were a shift supervisor there. Worked for one of my friends though he was older than 18 (not sure if they would allow an under 18 year old to take responsibility). Never had to do it myself though since i've had a job continuously since 16 (not the same one)

New Employers calling previous employers?

I was let go from my previous job for theft.

my question is... when my next potential employer calls my old store what can the managers say about me? Are they allowed to get into detail of my firing or can they only talk about what kind of employee i was?

i don't think they can call your last place of work without you listing them specifically as a reference.

Your old employer can say pretty much anything not bound by privacy (s/he could not, for example, reveal certain medical facts about you that s/he knew). Your grounds for dismissal, in this case at least, are not covered by any privacy laws or anything. It's best to just not leave it as a reference.

If there are legal issues connected with being fired, you might have to share these with your interviewer. If you got yourself a felony, then for sure you'd probably have to admit to that.

If this is a job that's going to do a detailed background check on you, it gets kind of tricky. They could, for example, figure out that you were employed during the time you said you were not. What they can directly use against you from a background check in an interview isn't all that much, but discrimination behind the scenes goes on.

So if you suspect the new company would do a detailed check on you, I'd be upfront and honest. It's better than being shown as a lier. If it's just a typical job, then I'd just not list the reference and chalk it up as "time not working."

I did use it as a reference because i didn't want to leave an employment gap.

I was lead to believe employers could only talk about the employees work attitude stuff like that?

edit: only a misdemeanor

Might not have been the best move. I guess just hold your breath and see what happens. A lot of the time, these calls aren't actually made if you make a good impression. So I'd hope for that. References are such a standard part of a job application that no company would dare leave the section out, but as to how many actually call...

Assuming there was no place on the application that asked about anything but felonies, and there was not a question asking if you were ever fired from a job (some apps like to throw this question in the mix), then sans a serious background check, your charge should remain hidden.

Let us know what happens. Best of luck, and don't steal if you get hired ;)

you've got to be kidding me. you listed the place where you just got fired for stealing as a reference? there aren't enough facepalm pictures on the internet to express how I feel right now.

you've got to be kidding me. you listed the place where you just got fired for stealing as a reference? there aren't enough facepalm pictures on the internet to express how I feel right now.

Lol i know i debated on not doing it and just listing full time college student <which i am>

However the job pays 15 an hour and is a pretty professional job, so i figured if i sent in my resume with no work experience for the last 3 years i would be out of luck.

Might not have been the best move. I guess just hold your breath and see what happens. A lot of the time, these calls aren't actually made if you make a good impression. So I'd hope for that. References are such a standard part of a job application that no company would dare leave the section out, but as to how many actually call...

Assuming there was no place on the application that asked about anything but felonies, and there was not a question asking if you were ever fired from a job (some apps like to throw this question in the mix), then sans a serious background check, your charge should remain hidden.

Let us know what happens. Best of luck, and don't steal if you get hired ;)

I had an interview today for a great marketing/promotions company but they said they are for sure calling references, i listed previous managers who have changed stores before i committed the theft. Also they all liked me so that's a plus.

I have an interview for Home Depot tomorrow, so i will def post back in with updates

If you're a full-time college student, having a 3 year gap on your resume shouldn't be too bad (I am assuming that you went to college after HS and didn't do nothing for 3 years after HS and then go back, or something similar). College is, for many, like a full-time job and does show ambition and all that.

There was a thread a while back in here about reasons and excuses to give for large gaps in employment history (traveling, caring for ill family member, etc.) but I cannot seem to find it.

I'm an employer and to be honest, I rarely check references. It's a hassle to do it, especially if someone has worked for a large company and also, many people simply won't give references which then leaves it up to me to work out if they just can't be bothered, or if there's a reason they don't want to give a reference for that individual.

I'm not sure where abouts you're located, but here in the UK there is a bit of a myth that a former employer is not allowed to give a bad reference. In fact, they can state anything that is the truth. So things like number of days absence or sickness, timekeeping etc. The reason for dismissal is information they would be able to give. What they can't do though, is say things that cannot be backed up ie: "he was really slow", "we found him difficult to work with", "he didn't seem to care about the job".

LoL how professional is the job. I had a full background investigation done by two seperate companys. One thing they did do that was odd is made me list 10 friends (yes friends) they called each of them and asked them for another friends name didn't talk to any of the ones I listed about anything except another friend.

^ Wow. That's crazy! What if a person's introverted and does not have 10 friends readily available? Or if your friends all don't know each other? What job was that for? I'm curious.

That is unprecedented in the totally insane category.

I really don't want to say exactly what it was for my employer just needed to make sure I was who I said I was. Not that I'm wickedly important or anything just building trust. This isn't the most extreme tho. I have a friend that was also interviewed by a shrink, with a lot of loaded questions: "do you feel that most people try and get by doing the bare minimum?" "Have you ever wanted to be a woman" "do you hate your father"

"Have you ever wanted to be a woman?" Haha, ummm wow.

I totally respect you not wanting to share the job title.

A shrink would be pretty intense. Some of these little "personality tests" that are linked up to electronic job applications these days can be pretty intrusive, IMO. I've seen some weird questions asked!

You can still make a resume look decent without on the books job experience. You can use "self employed" jobs if you have to. Even if it's just babysitting. Better then nothing. If you still need help making up a resume shoot me a line. I can't PM you since I'm a greenlighter.

You are in florida

So why not:
Taxi Driver
Restaurant ( Hostess/waiter/busboy/ect)
Try your school ( they hire people for ambassador stuff and ect)
Call center ( harassing people to buy shit or whatever)

If you are smart do people homework and get paid...

Fast food. Retail. Etc.
instead of asking the people I hang out with
There's a big mistake right here. Do ask people you know. A lot of jobs are gotten not because people deserve them, but because of nepotism. Ask friends and relatives...

you are an 18 year old college student. If you are serious about that you should make school your current career. So waht ur dad talks to squirls?? You are on a drug forum, im sure most of these people are equally if not more quirky.. Take advantage of the free house AS LONG AS YOU CAN. Freedom is awesome, but rent fucking sucks. Anyway, not trying to preach. You should try to find a job that will be flexible with your school schedule. I started my first job at a grocery store and it got me through jc, and now im still at a grocery store about done with my degree at a university. They start you out at a pretty good pay, they are super flexible with school and highly supportive. Also, you should construct a resume. Even if you have no job experience, you can put on it your skills, hobbies (not including drug use..) and education. Atleast its something, and i think that says alot to an employer. Have fuuun!!

As others have said, definitely put together a resume. I had one when all it included was detassling corn, babysitting, cleaning houses, and working in an ice cream shop, and it got me plenty of jobs. Since the market is tight, I know it can be hard, but I'm tempted to say you must be doing something wrong... I live in a city that is damn near impossible to get hired in at the low end (we have an absolute GLUT of unskilled workers), and that was even before the recession, but my friends and I have all been able to get jobs, even since the market turned. Are you showing up dressed well and nicely cleaned up (hair cut, fresh shave/well-groomed, ironed clothes, etc.), even for "shitty" jobs? (I didn't even apply for my farming job in jeans.) Are you being friendly and outgoing? Are you interviewing well? An interview can make or break a hiring situation, and if you feel weak at it, you should take a class. Seriously. I can't tell you how many really smart friends I have that are piss poor at interviewing, or how many people I know that have gotten jobs even against really qualified other candidates. I got a job as a interdepartmental liaison and national account manager in a software company while applying for a secretary position once (and without any schooling in computer sciences)! It had everything to do with my interviewing skills. My mom has done tons of hiring throughout her career, and she says that she's hired tons of people with fewer direct qualifications but more overall skills and charisma. I'm sure I'm not as good as someone trained to teach a course, but I'm sure I could give you some pointers if you're interested.

If you're in college, you're already well ahead of many of the peers in your hiring pool, so there's gotta be some particular issue here. What kinds of jobs are you applying for?

Honestly, its all about who you know. Shake your network and see what comes out. Get your buddies to see if their employers are hiring and get them to put in a good word for you. Nepotism won't guarantee a job but it will often get your foot in the door if nothing else and help to tip things in your favour if you are a qualified candidate who can hold their own in an interview.