MEGA - Jobs, Resumes, Interviews

Im Done college- NOW WHAT?!?

Hey guys,

I will be graduating college with my undergraduate degree in March (like, 2months!) and i have NO idea what Im going to afterward. Most people say, get a job, however, there are no jobs out there right now. The job market sucks balls and I watched my bf go for a year without a job after college, and hes STILL unemployed. And he majored in engineering at the best school for engineering around this part of the US. I know a lot of you will say, dont worry about it. But without something to plan for, and loook forward to , I will fall into a deep depression, and moving back home will suck enough. I dont keep in touch with any of my high school friends- they all kind of ditched me for "college" after we graduated, so I really have no friends in my hometown. Not looking forward to it. The only new people Ive met on the internet from Jersey have been Class A CREEPS.

Back to the point, Ive been thinking of a few options. I was lucky enough tohave my parents pay for my undergrad, so I dont have any loans to pay off. Im basically starting from 0. No money, but no loans either.

1. Go to Grad school for advertising, which is what i REALLY want to do. Its not even close to what I got my undergrad in. That would mean getting a hefty loan and needing to pay it back in a few years. Is it worth it to get a masters now, just to avoid not having a job at ALL?

2. Go to Thailand to teach English. I got accepted into the program. Basically would have to front a bunch of money, but eventually would pay it back by the end of the program. That would be for 5-6 months. Im nervous to do this, because Id rather stay somewhere safe- in the United States- Im still apprehensive about doing this. When I finally come back to the States, I would have no money- be back right where I started, but have a resume builder and a character building experience.

3. Stay at home and try and find a local job in my shitty town. Live at home. Be depressed. Live in my parents house with 3 cats which i am deathly allergic to. The only plus of this is being able to save what little money I may be able to make in order to be able to support myself to move to a new town- I want to move to Cali- But will I be able to find something, and Will i be able to handle it for a few years back home?

So...Which should I do? What would you? For those who will bne graduating soon or just have graduated recently, what are you doing with your lives? What are your future plans and how are you dealing with this shitty economy.
My bf fell into a depression over this, and I am starting to as well. Please help!

Grad school. No brainer.

Take a year off if you have to, but no longer.

i don't think going to graduate school is avoiding having to get a job now. undergraduate degrees don't mean a whole lot anymore because everyone is going to grad school or getting a doctorate and in this economy the more things you have in your pocket the more someone's going to want to hire you.
so yeah, i vote grad school.

Instead of teaching in Thailand, do the teaching program in Japan. My friend is doing it currently and he teaches upper level english, he says its so easy because they speak very good english at that level +good pay.
oh and about the safety, Tokyo/japan---WAY safer than Thai

-B

no qualifications...

I have no qualifications.
Apart from 11 gcses at grade a-c.

im 22 but feel as if I am rotting my way through life, rather than living it.
I have no girlfriend, have always had crappy jobs and can see myself earning a crap wage or doing something I hate until I die.

That fact really depresses me, no matter how much excercise I do im never happy. I see uni students and feel jealous because there smarter, funnier, wittier, happier than me.
I think if you're brain is being excercised all the time you are going to be smarter, funny have a better life.

At school I was smart, witty, funny etc.

After years of drug abuse my brain is frazzled.

Basically is there any course I can take at Univeristy without having to go to college?

If you want to go back to education I recommend you do a foundation year in a subject you enjoy.. then that should pave your way into getting onto a degree course without A-levels and will only take a year. Make sure you pick a subject that will increase your chances of getting a job when you've finished the degree, not something like media studies..

^Yeah, but those Tokyo teaching positions are tough to get into... OP might want to do a bunch of research on that and turn all the right knobs and press all the right buttons to be a successful candidate.

Go teach English... places like Japan and Korea have great programs, and are safe and fun. I know quite a few people who have done these programs, and they pay pretty damn well, so you most likely won't come back with no money, you'll likely come back with a fair bit if you don't blow it all on travel related activities while you are over there.

Go out, live a bit, come back, do a masters if you want, and hope that the job market picks up in the intervening years.

CB :)

I think what rapc was saying is pick a field of study that interests you, and then expand on there but not choosing a field of study that has little practicality as far as finding jobs at this point in your life. Though, I don't know how old you are or what your interests are.

You need to first sort your depression out, it doesn't help with making the right career choice/decision making and if you already start loosing the motivation to get out of bed to do exercising then what will it be like for college?
Once you've done that you can always do the Open University.
http://www.open.ac.uk
Or you could consider an apprenticeship.
http://www.apprenticeships.org.uk/

Last edited:
dude i thought u started a thread that careers dont matter? sry that was a little bit of an asshole comment;). im not in the UK but in the states w/o AT LEAST a high school diploma its virtually impossible. here you are restricted t wal-mart or the military. this may not be helpful but im guessing your open for anythign right now. if you have any "talents" you can put them to use. like if you are a good cook you could tr to get a job as a sou chef. as far as going to college you should prbably take courses which will allow you to have a job that has very good job security considering your scanty qualififcations. i hope that helped man god luck.

ye im all mixed up
i honestly dont know whether i will be free from depression, and having depression is what has got me fired from pretty much every job ive had.

For the reasons being; I can't have a laugh with colleagues (bccoz i feel like sh1t), I cant talk about normal stuff (getting laid etc AGAIN bcoz im so down) so therefore I become the outkast/weirdo and usually end up getting 'laid off'.

So tbh maybe I am generally screwed for life, if I have to wait until im 30 until this depression goes im gonna have nothing.

Change your frame of mind, you're not screwed for life and even if you had to wait till 30 what is wrong with that? I think it's actually at that age that you will probably have a bit more of a clue on what you really want to do job wise. Not what seems cool at 18 then once you're stuck in a dead end monotomous job with dickhead collegues you become disillusioned and want to change career :).

i agree with all of the comments being made, and in all seriousness, if you're incredibly depressed, adding academic pressure on yourself certainly won't help matters. i'm not saying it won't give you something to do, but maybe counseling or something of the sort would help before trying to take on more? i mean, you don't HAVE to go to uni to have hobbies, information on specific topics, etc. you can do a lot of that on your own.

yeah looking for a decent job at home in this climate is pointless anyway as competition is so high that experience will win out. go teach english

Go teach English... places like Japan and Korea have great programs, and are safe and fun. I know quite a few people who have done these programs, and they pay pretty damn well, so you most likely won't come back with no money, you'll likely come back with a fair bit if you don't blow it all on travel related activities while you are over there.

Go out, live a bit, come back, do a masters if you want, and hope that the job market picks up in the intervening years.

CB :)

seconded. if you have the opportunity and means to travel, do it. :D

I loathe the idea of even moving home- in a week, actually. Its 30-35 minutes from school, which isnt too bad, but my boyfriend is moving back to HIS home- which is 2.5 + hours away from mine :( Im SO nervous to commit to doing something in another country. It scares me right now. Im so scared of the future unknown right now that it is sort of paralyzing me- too many choices are making me not make a single one.