• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

MEGA - Grades! Majors? Graduation!!!

English lit at Harvard...graduating in two weeks! Then on to the PhD program in English at Colubmia. I study mostly 19th century British literature, as well as a lot of theory (all of which makes it easy to justify drug use). glad to see that there are a number of other English majors out there! ;-)

Majored in English Lit and Psychology for my Bachelor's degree.

Currently studying for a Masters in Library and Information Science.

graduated with a dual BA in International Relations and Religion

April MCAT scores

Who else here took the April MCAT this year? I just had the balls to check my score online: 32Q. I cleared the bar I set for myself, which was 30, so I couldn't be happier -- I have a score that'll actually turn some heads at med schools.

This calls for a celebration. I'm just not sure what dosage.

^^^ the MCAT is composed of 4 sections. The physical science, verbal reasoning, and biological science sections are worth 15 points each, for a total of 45 possible points. No one knows exactly the formula they use, but I have a hunch the difference between a 14 and a 15 is much greater than that between an 8 and a 9.

... oh and the fourth section, the writing sample, is graded on a scale of J through T, and means naught at all in the grand scheme of things, unless you're a non-native English speaker.

Well done.

What was the breakdown for Phys/verbal/bio? I wrote a proctored practise MCAT a week and a half ago, scored a 28Q (9 phys, 10 verb, 9 bio). Not bad for only having prepped for 2/3 of the material.

The MCAT is scored on a percentile basis. So they look at everyone's raw score and calculate the percentiles, the score out of 15 is based on the percentile score. So it's much more difficult to score a 14 than a 12. Verbal usually has a steep curve, ie: 2 or 3 mistakes out of 70 and you get a 13 maximum, I got 88% on verbal for my practise and only got a 10.

Verbal reasoning is unique, you read a passage and answer questions related to the passage, ie: The author would most likely agree with? The author is most likely? This example is used to illustrate?

The average at my school to get in is about 33 so you should be able to get in at just about any school. My goal is mid 30's but that'll be very hard to pull off.

^^^ Thanks dude. 12 verbal, 10 on each science. But if you're not even done studying and you're getting scores like you are, I bet you'll beat me.

I feel what makes the verbal section so tough is that it makes you select the BEST answer out of four that are ALL, in one way or another, somewhat right. This is what separates those with just a generic gift for words from those who speak, read, and argue LIKE A SCIENTIST.

I've found that in the humanities, if I can make a convoluted but well thought out argument for an answer that isn't "the right one", I'll still get some credit for ingenuity, and for the belief in these fields that subjective perspective makes a major difference in what cause(s) cause what effect(s).

Scientists have no truck with such subjectivity. I've written well-thought-out answers (to admittedly, heh, poorly studied) problems on Organic Chemistry tests, and gotten it back with just an X through the paragraph and no credit at all, simply because the key words the grader was looking for weren't there, and no amount of arguing would change their minds. They fed me exactly what they wanted, and that's exactly what they wanted to see spat back. Verbatim, if possible.

I twice have misquoted Occam's Razor by a word or two in a casual conversation, and been been brusquely corrected. Assuming you're good at reading comprehension to begin with, I have a hunch the more you're used to applying Occam's Razor to all situations you encounter, the better you'll do on the MCAT Verbal Reasoning.

I'm taking the Kaplan prep course for the MCAT. It's worth it for the strategy for verbal reasoning alone. With verbal I found I had to change how I intuitively looked at a passage and the subsequent questions. Once you "get" how to think in a certain way the pieces really fall into place. Many of the answers are out of scope (they're correct but don't apply to the passage directly), or they're the opposite, or absolutes. I found the best thing to do as long as it wasn't a detail question was to read the question only and then try and deduce the answer without looking at the choices. Looking at the choices prematurely tends to corrupt my thought process with that section.

The cut offs for physical were pretty low on my practise, so I assume they'll definitely increase with subsequent tests. As long as I can be fully prepared I should be able to maintain at least a 10 in phys and bio.

I find my humanities background really helps me with verbal and the writing sample. I have a BA as well as almost being done my Bsc so I have many examples to draw from as well as really knowing how to work the pen in the best possible way.

I'm a pretty smart guy but I can be lazy at times, I find maintaining the motivation is one of the hardest things about studying for the MCAT. I don't really have a problem with maintaining stamina which was what I was concerned about, it's a fast 8 hours. I need to make up for my less than stellar GPA so my MCAT score is really important. From what I've been told once you get an interview everything else is irrelevant, the interview is the make or break point.

Are you looking at any specific medical schools yet?

^^^ I'm in the same boat as you. My GPA is not awful but defininitely middling by med school standards: 3.25. That'll change if the molecular genetics course I'm taking now serves me an A. But that's a big 'if'.

I made a prelimiary list of 15 schools to apply to, with the intention of being able to cut up to 5 of these. My criteria were:

** Only schools that send secondaries to everyone. Just one less hoop to jump -- especially if it's a hoop I've got a good chance of NOT being able to jump at that (in this case, my GPA in their 'cutoff formula'). Plus, my recommendations (a reflection of my work experience) and my writing ability are my strongest weapons. I'll only pay to apply to schools that'll definitely give me a chance to show these things off.

** No out-of-state state schools, but all in-state state schools, for the same reason as above -- I need all the home field advantage I can get.

** Schools that are primary care oriented. I want to do geriatrics or travel medicine, not surgery or radiology or research medicine. I figure applying to any professional degree program where the faculty and students don't share or support your professional goals is an exercise in futility.

** Schools that are actively looking for students with diverse backgrounds.

** Schools in the Northeast. It seems strange to say for a person who's lived in as many countries as I have, but the Northeast is the only part of the US that truly feels like home to me. (If the NE states ever staged a secession movement, I can't promise I wouldn't support it.) Most importantly though, I want to be near my family, friends, and girlfriend.

Anyway, here's my list, in order of best to least fit. If more than one accepts me, I'll go to the one that's nearest the top of my list:
1. Drexel -- Philadeliphia
2. SUNY Downstate -- NYC
3. New York Medical College -- Valhalla, NY
4. Temple -- Philadelphia
5. Yeshiva -- NYC
6. NYU. This is one of my two dream schools.
7. Albany Medical College
8. SUNY Stonybrook
9. Tufts -- Boston
10. Johns Hopkins -- Baltimore
11. SUNY Upstate -- Syracuse
12. G.W. -- Washington, D.C.
13. SUNY Buffalo
14. Columbia -- NYC. This is my other dream school.
15. Tulane -- Louisiana -- if it's not underwater! This is my safety school.

Talk about a draining experience, I wrote on saturday.

Physical was extremely difficult and almost exclusively physics (I'm much better at chem). Verbal was verbal, the last passage was difficult but the rest seemed alright. Written was easy and I managed to work Larry Flynt into one of them. Bio was a nice surprise, almost exclusively biology and mostly molecular bio/genetics which is my major. Having to wait 2 months to get my results back is going to be murder.

^^
Did you have test form AH (I like to think of it as 'AssHole' personally), by any chance?

Nope I had CJ. We had about 30 people in my room and one of my friends had the same form I had. He found biology really difficult but he hadn't taken molecular bio yet which would have really helped him. During each of my practice exams we were always given a warning at half time, the AAMC proctor gave us a 45 min and 5 min warning. I found myself only halfway through physical with 45 minutes left, I was able to finish it but physics isn't my strong suit even under the best of conditions.

Verbal had some really interesting passages that were more straight forward and less wordy, aside from the last passage. Although with verbal it's hard to tell exactly how you did without seeing your score.

MyDoorsAreOpen said:
9. Tufts -- Boston

If you by chance went there you would be near me..I live around the corner from Tufts! :D lol.

good luck to you all who take this exam...and congrats for getting a 32!

Ahh your test sounded alot like mine. Lots of physics and not much chem on PS, lots of molecular stuff on bio (and almost no organic chem, or less than usual it seemed) and then verbal was pretty much okay except for the last passage with was on ASL and deaf people versus hearing people etc. They called time 5 MINUTES TOO EARLY! on verbal and pretty much screwed everyone over, and I was especially pissed since the only difficult passage was that last one.

Yeah, no matter how much I practice for verbal I barely eek out answers to all 9 passages. I read the passage first and annotate as I go, then read the questions then return to the passage. I can only imagine how tough it would be for a slow reader. Five minutes can be the difference between an 11 and an 9 in verbal. I had fairly decent proctors, they were organized and kept the proper time but I'd rather they had written the half time and end of section time on the board. I don't know if I can wait the entire 2 months for my score without losing my mind.

I think I would have finished it with maybe a minute to spare had we been given the full time! We did argue for the 5 minutes and eventually got it back but the damage was done. I think it's just stupid how steeply they scale it. I really don't see any good reason for them to do so.

The wait for scores is just ridiculous.

Did you have the censoring artwork and rich people being responsible for poor people essays?

I'm so pissed that they are doing away with the essays, decreasing physics, and increasing genetics for the computer based test. All things that would be in my favour!

August MCAT scores!!!

Well the August MCAT scores are up. I don't know whether to be happy or sad. 28Q(9V 8P 11B). Physical is was killed me (as usual), physics is my weakpoint and my physical was entirely physics. I'm debating writing it again just to try and break 30 but I'll apply with my 28 next year anyway. The bulk of the grunt work is done, I think it's pretty decent for the first go around.

How'd the rest of you Bluelight doc's do?