• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

MEGA - Grades! Majors? Graduation!!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^

got it all yesterday.

you are awesome. seriously, let me know if you want a hat or scarf or something. it is the least i could do.

thanks again.

and now i'm off to study. hooray

This is quite belated, but good job wizekrak. Looks like you and I are about in the same league. I took the April 2006 MCAT: 10P 12V Q 10B. Tough break on that physical sciences section -- that's the one I had to practice with the most. Are you applying for 2007 or 2008 matriculation?

If I could give one piece of advice to anyone taking the MCAT, it's FINISH EACH SECTION. I actually timed my practice tests five minutes shorter than the actual test would be, and did not stop practicing until I could actually answer every last question (and write a conclusion to the essay), with at least some amount of thought. Leaving the end of sections undone, or filling them in with random guesswork, will hurt a lot. The difference between one numerical score and other is often one missed question.

I'm gearing up to apply to a bunch of osteopathic schools next year. Given my low GPA and the sheer number of applicants to MD schools these days, I'll consider an acceptance to an MD program a lucky break, despite my decent MCAT and years of work in health care. :(

I'm not applying until next cycle at the earliest (deadline is early October). I'm considering transferring into a psych nursing program as well. I need to work on my ECs and will probably apply for a research position this summer if my schedule allows (that or write a book). Basically I only have a shot at 1 school which is my provincial school, anything out of province is ridiculously competitive.

MyDoorsAreOpen do your schools (allopathic) have a special consideration category for those with 2 years or more medical experience? If so you stand a good chance with a 32Q and solid references. I think the category only applies if you've been working in the same state/province as the school you're applying to.

I had to guess for the most part on the last verbal passage, I have a feeling that cost me a 10. How long until you know whether or not you've been offered an interview?

Fairynympth, or anybody for that matter, what is the best way to prepare for the MCAT?

Prepare from your core courses (bio, chem, physics, etc...) then do practice tests in standard testing conditions.

I am dreading the general chemistry stuff.

I like physics, o.chem, and biology just fine.

The idea of having to independently go back and re-study ICE tables, kinetics, and thermochemistry is starting to bug me alot. I'm sure I'll get my ass in gear this coming summer before I take the MCAT in august. I am in O.chem and physics right now, so those areas shouldn't be a problem.

I'm also wondering if I should refresh my genetics knowledge. I took 300 level genetics last summer and it is already faded alot. I'm looking at maybe doing a 400-level human genetics class but there is no way I could fit it in before taking the MCAT!

If I do bad I will definately retake. I just want to do well the first time so I don't have to worry about it.

protovack, I took molecular genetics the summer after I took the MCAT, and honestly, I didn't find myself kicking myself and saying 'jeez I wish I'd taken this before the big test!' like I expected I would. I don't know about the computer test (which I assume is adaptive), but I found on the old paper tests, just being familiar enough with the language of genetics and genetic studies enough to quickly comprehend the passage was all I needed. By no means am I discouraging you from taking a higher level of genetics -- the field is fucking fascinating and very suited to medicine. But if all you care about is the MCAT, I'd say just reread your textbook and the term papers you wrote for that 300 course at a leisurely pace.

Thermochem is a bitch, OTOH. :p

wizekrak, well, 6 of my 10 schools are in my home state of NY, so that can't hurt. I did purposely select for schools that claim to accredit the School of Life, as it were, as well as ones that tend to graduate a lot of primary care doctors, which is what I want to be. I've had two years' nursing home work experience, and I'm now training to be a patient care technician / phlebotomist in a pretty decent hospital, so they can't exactly tell me I don't know what I'm getting into :\

I dunno, it's a crapshoot. As they say, there's no such thing as a med school shoo-in anymore.

Courses (Major/Minors?)

I notice a lot of topics on this forum (already, day long membership to forums =P) regarding the inflictions of abuse on academic performance, but not much devoted to this.

(Ok so I'm from the UK and I have absolutely no clue how the American Major/Minor system works, but I'm intrigued to learn.)

Basically;

What's everyone doing?

I'm doing a BSc in Biochemistry, currently going into my third and final year. I hope to get onto a PhD in a Pharmacology related subject, then eventually set up lab working on some really fucking interesting miracle compound. Or something less glamourous, which is more of a reality, but hey. Pipedreams.

I'd be intrigued to find out what everyone's up to, and what they hope to do. Failing that, if you're living for the moment, how's that working out for you guys =).

What is the c in BSc? Im in my second year of Third year of Biochemistry, Bachelors in AMerica take four years generally and 120 Credit Hours. Did your Biochem Program require Pchem (the full 2 semester one)? And if so what did you think?

I want to go on to Pharmacology PHD, Medicinal CHemsitry, or Enzyme Kenetics!

c in BSc is usually to indicate science. I've seen it written as B.S. and BSc, though I could be wrong.

Anyway, I'm currently working on my B.S. (BSc to others :) ) in geology, more specifically soil biogeochem/sedimentology. Then I'll, hopefully, be working on my masters in the same field.

eras3r said:
c in BSc is usually to indicate science. I've seen it written as B.S. and BSc, though I could be wrong.

Anyway, I'm currently working on my B.S. (BSc to others :) ) in geology, more specifically soil biogeochem/sedimentology. Then I'll, hopefully, be working on my masters in the same field.

I recently decided to persue a degree in geology. Any tips/suggestions? I really have no idea about what I want to do.

Up until this point i've been working on my general ed. I'm at about 45 units now and have basicly been forced into choosing a major. The study of the earth and the human impact on ecosystems is probably the most interesting topic I can think of. Insight on anyones experiances in this field would be welcome.

pokerface said:
I notice a lot of topics on this forum (already, day long membership to forums =P) regarding the inflictions of abuse on academic performance, but not much devoted to this.

(Ok so I'm from the UK and I have absolutely no clue how the American Major/Minor system works, but I'm intrigued to learn.)

Basically;

What's everyone doing?

I'm doing a BSc in Biochemistry, currently going into my third and final year. I hope to get onto a PhD in a Pharmacology related subject, then eventually set up lab working on some really fucking interesting miracle compound. Or something less glamourous, which is more of a reality, but hey. Pipedreams.

I'd be intrigued to find out what everyone's up to, and what they hope to do. Failing that, if you're living for the moment, how's that working out for you guys =).

Molecular and Microbiology - Pre-med track with a second degree, BA Psychology...

Anti-depressant, cardio-meds, and something to replace Vancomycin with less hepatoxicity than whats out now is where its at....

*toots own horn*

I was a triple major in undergrad Philosophy, Sociology, Psychology, and I did it in 4 years.
To stay on top, I did a lot of "double dipping" (finding classes that counted toward multiple majors), knocked out most of my math and science requirements via AP testing, swung a BS in Philosophy to avoid a language requirement, took a minimum of extraneous classes (but didn't eliminate them).

ebola

Care said:
I recently decided to persue a degree in geology. Any tips/suggestions? I really have no idea about what I want to do.

Up until this point i've been working on my general ed. I'm at about 45 units now and have basicly been forced into choosing a major. The study of the earth and the human impact on ecosystems is probably the most interesting topic I can think of. Insight on anyones experiances in this field would be welcome.
It's sounds like you should look into majoring in environmental sciences instead of geology. Definition from wikipedia on what environmental scientist do:
"Environmental Scientists monitor the quality of the environment, interpret the impact of human actions on terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems, and develop strategies for restoring ecosystems."

Biology/ecology is another major that seems like it might fit you're interests - maybe concentrating on ecosystem ecology.

birdie said:
It's sounds like you should look into majoring in environmental sciences instead of geology. Definition from wikipedia on what environmental scientist do:
"Environmental Scientists monitor the quality of the environment, interpret the impact of human actions on terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems, and develop strategies for restoring ecosystems."

Biology/ecology is another major that seems like it might fit you're interests - maybe concentrating on ecosystem ecology.

That's not always necessarily true. Many geology programs offer courses related to specific geologic fields that which may include an environmental aspect.

I study soil biogeochem, and I am not an environmental science major. Having knowledge beyond environmental issues including fundamentals of sediment stratigraphy and so on, for example, are usually in the geologic field, not environmental science.

Finished my B.Sc last year, currently in the nursing program until I'm accepted to medical school.

Rogue Robot said:
That's not always necessarily true. Many geology programs offer courses related to specific geologic fields that which may include an environmental aspect.

I study soil biogeochem, and I am not an environmental science major. Having knowledge beyond environmental issues including fundamentals of sediment stratigraphy and so on, for example, are usually in the geologic field, not environmental science.
Right and I agree, but most environmental science programs also include geology classes (I'm not an ES, but that's what I've seen anyway, though it depends on what the person is specializing in). ES in an interdisciplinary field that includes earth sciences, biology/ecology, environmental policy, and so on. Since the person said they wanted to study human impacts on ecosystems, ES seems like the best fit. Of course, this all depends on the school the person goes to and how they structure their programs. For example, in many schools I've seen soil science/biogeochemistry in geography and natural resource programs.

Outside of the majors already mentioned (geology, environmental science, and biology/ecology), the poster could also look into the ones I just mentioned (geography and natural resources), or other programs (hydrology, forestry, etc). Again, it all depends on the school. It also depends what part of the ecosystem the person wants to study. Still, ES seems like the best for to me.

Last edited:
Right. He PMed me, and I told him/her to look at the course offerings in each department. There's very little overlap between ES and geology in our department. There is some, but not much. My department's also restructuring its course offerings, and not for the better, I might add. GIS used to be part of our department & the geography department, but it is now only available through geography, and the credits no longer count toward geology degrees established after a certain date. :X

Then again, it could be because the ES and geology department at my uni is going down the shitter these days. :\

they are (already did) getting rid of many necessary classes in our department. they recently did away with field mapping, which, apparently, left many undergrads crying for a week while they were attending field camp this summer. it's really making me not want to go to field camp, but i have no choice.

it's all pretty frustrating for me (and others), but that's an entirely different discussion on its own. :)