• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA]Community Growing advice, tips, tricks, & experiences Part 5 (2012-2013)

You need to sort it out quickly before they eat your plants to death. Grasshoppers are the most difficult insect to control because they are highly mobile.

I would recommend a couple of controls, the first being permethrin. This has a short persistence for control of grasshopper and so needs to be reapplied often enough. The second is a physical barrier. A screen or fine netting should stop them from getting through. You can make a makeshift frame which you can drape the netting over, it shouldn't be too hard to make.

There are other ways of controlling the grasshoppers of course (see below). The best of which is the emboldened diatomaceous earth method. With the neem spray were you spraying regularly enough?

All things being equal larger plants shouldn't take longer to flower by much, no. The larger plant that isn't flowering is probably just a later flowering phenotype.

Control:
Grasshoppers are difficult to control because they are migratory. You could kill them all today and they will move in from somewhere else tomorrow. There are, however, several organic approaches to controlling this pest. The key word here is control. It is impossible to completely eradicate the species from your yard.

There are a couple of sprays and baits that are made of naturally occurring grasshopper diseaes (Nosema locustae or Beauvaria bassiana) which are good for use over large areas.

Nosema locustae
Nosema is a biological control, a single celled protozoan, that infects all stages of developing grasshoppers, mole crickets, Mormon and black field crickets. Nosema when ingested creates a disease that is specific to these pests. It will not harm any other living species.

Timing is everything. You have to use it when the grasshoppers are in their nymph stage. The ideal time is when they are 1/4 inch (.6 cm) long. The spore causes blood poisoning, which brings on death. Dead grasshoppers are eaten by live grasshoppers who are then infected. It can carry through the season this way and even last year to year by over-wintering on an infected egg pod. One pound (454 g) covers one acre (405 hectare).

Grasshoppers typically lay eggs in Southern exposure locations in hilly, sandy soil. As they hatch they will begin to travel to their food source (your garden or farm). Head them off by applying Nosema in swaths as a barrier about 1 foot (30.5 cm) wide, or by generally broadcasting product in and around area to be protected. Grasshoppers will begin to feed on spore-infected bran and immediately stop feeding and become sick. They will die either from the disease or will be cannibalized by other hoppers.

Nolo Bait
Nolo Bait is a wheat flake that has been spiked with a grasshopper disease, Nosema locustae. It doesn't harm any other insects except for Mormon crickets and perhaps other everyday crickets. When properly applied, the grasshoppers eat the Nolo and get sick. Tomorrow's grasshoppers cannibalize the sick ones, spreading the disease through the population. Nolo Bait is probably most recommended for homeowners with some acreage, unless whole blocks or neighborhoods in the city could get together for a concerted anti-grasshopper effort. Because of the grasshoppers' sheer numbers and mobility, Nolo Bait is most effective when used over larger areas.

Kaolin clay
There is a relatively new control called Kaolin clay. One to two cups (240 to 480 ml) of the powdered clay is mixed with one gallon (3.8 l) of water with about one teaspoon (5 ml) of soap, such as a mild dishwashing soap or Dr. Bronner's soap (from health food stores). To make mixing easier, the Kaolin clay should be slowly added to a cup or two (240 to 480 ml) of water first to make a paste (with the soap), and then added to the rest of the gallon (3.8 l) of water. This mixture should be sprayed onto all leaf surfaces. The object is to have a white film on the leaf that repels the grasshoppers. This may require more than one application, depending on the concentration of clay in the spray.

Diatomaceous Spray
Mix one cup (240 ml) of diatomaceous earth with one gallon (3.8 l) of water along with two tablespoons (30 ml) of blackstrap molasses. Spray this onto the plants. Diatomaceous earth looks like talcum powder, but to the insects it is like broken glass.

Neem oil
Neem oil from the Neem tree in Australia can be used as a repellent. It works in several different ways. It is a repellent, a feeding inhibitor, deters egg-laying, and retards growth.

Pesticidal soaps
Pesticidal soaps may also be used. It is the fatty acids in the soaps that make them work. When the soap touches the outer body of the grasshopper it slowly begins to dissolve this outer membrane. This causes dehydration and death. You need to be careful when using this on your plants since it can do the same thing to your plants that it does to grasshoppers. Test a small portion of the plant first before your treat the whole plant.

Last edited:
I sprayed my neem oil twice, saw all the mites die off, I will continue to use the neem oil, as all my plants are flowering, and I don't want them taking in any of the pesticides.
Thank you AE, much appreciated.

NSFW:

2e321oo.jpg

things are going pretty slow, installed a fan next to them to speed up metabolism through increased respiration rate...got a major nitrogen problem with her, leafs are dieing off pretty fast seems like feeding makes it only worse... well its sitting behind a window anyways...going to be happy if i get any potent smoke at all

A couple of this years outdoor crop from random seeds out of last years crop... i check for males and hermies pretty well so im thinking a neighbor nearby must have a male... i had various diff high grade clones and only a couple seeds that were later than the clones i got the seeds off of... so its anyones guess what the other half of these two are...

Blackberry OG Kush x ?
NSFW:
20120806_195541.jpg

Lemon OG Kush x ?
NSFW:
20120806_195649.jpg

^ notice the ladybug hanging off the leaf :)

I got one with a praying mantis a few weeks back... ill find it... tons of them this year :D
Heres the mantis... the ninja kush master lol =D
NSFW:
20120616_192251.jpg

In other gardening... nsfw because its just vegetables lmao 8)
NSFW:

"Burning Bush" habaneros (mostly for the name, also to bet people...)
20120806_195353.jpg

Happy face pumpkin
20120806_195257.jpg

Russian Heirloom tomato (not quite ripe)
20120806_195112.jpg

Tomatillo (f-1 hybrid)
20120806_195025.jpg

Italian summer squash
20120726_180821.jpg

Yellow summer squash
20120726_180900.jpg

Albion Strawberry
20120726_180243.jpg

Last edited:
Wow wonderful looking plants and veggies. A friend of mine is big into chilis, even has some ghost chilis going and tries various crosses between different chili cultivars. He also got some russian farmertobacco in the making (I'm the only tobacco smoker around so I will be the one to try it :S)

@AE
The strain on the pic is still the kc33xlowryder I have been revegging once :D

Sorry about that AE , my box was full :/ hadn't been on for a while it seems .

Wow, Very nice plants toad. :)
I wish I had those pets on my plants, all I keep finding are damned grasshoppers! I HATE THEM!
They keep chewing the hell out of my plants, I keep finding full grown ones, so I smash them!

Had to start putting my tallest plant through chicken wire to prevent it from going over the fence.
Makes me a bit nervous that it might be seen .

I need to take pictures soon, my green crack and pineapple trainwreck have started flowering much earlier than the Ice berry.
I am very excited for this harvest :)
I'll get pictures soon I hope.

Here's some pics of my guerrilla grow (the last pic is of my smaller second site about 5 meters away):

NSFW:
med_gallery_51167_3097_24880.jpg

NSFW:
med_gallery_51167_3097_121838.jpg

NSFW:
med_gallery_51167_3097_95062.jpg

NSFW:
med_gallery_51167_3097_33952.jpg

NSFW:
med_gallery_51167_3097_44249.jpg

NSFW:
med_gallery_51167_3097_90476.jpg

NSFW:
med_gallery_51167_3097_82548.jpg

Some of them look like they haven't even started stretching ! going to be monsters :D

my guerilla grow hasnt been visited for 4 weeks :S need to take care sorting out the males before its too late

Thanks mate. I just sawed down some more trees so they should hopefully be getting a lot more light. They would have been a lot bigger by now had I planted the ones that are in the ground earlier and sorted the trees obscuring the light sooner but I'll still get a really good harvest.

I forgot to top them which I'm really pissed off at myself for doing so I think I'll have to tie them down to get more bud sites. The more smaller colas I have the less mold will be an issue.

my guerilla grow hasnt been visited for 4 weeks :S need to take care sorting out the males before its too late

Hopefully they haven't been eaten! I hope you sorted a fence out or something.

Last edited:
NSFW:

2co3e9t.jpg

this photo was taken on the 17th of july, so a little less than one month ago. Notice how one plant magically isn't affected by slugs :O
The topped one is growing more vigorous somehow (on the left)

Indoors:

Luisa (KC33xLowryder#2) is now at 7,5 weeks flowering and I'm giving her a flush now and probably harvest in about 2 weeks
Took a test nug the other night and it put me on my ass straight away (although it was dried on aluminum foil with a lighter shame on me)
Looking forward to her this time around, as compared to last time I didn't even use bloom nutes just chemical fert (NPK something around 9-4-8).
NSFW:

vuwrk.jpg

11bkdfm.jpg

I can tell already she's alot frostier than I remember her from last time

Erna (Random Amsterdam Bagseed) is now at about 6 weeks, she started later than Luisa probably because Luisa is a LR#2 cross afterall so maybe she is semi autoflowering, eg. starting to flower at 15/9 already.
She has a LONG way to go, last time I picked her early and was really disappointed potency wise, this time I'll just let her stay till the temps make it impossible (November)
NSFW:

r08tcj.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice looking grow you got tuere AE :)

Thanks, I can't wait till it starts flowering. I just hope nobody stumbles upon either of my two grows, especially the bigger of the two. I don't think anyone would though since there's no reason to take a detour through where my plants are, unless for some freak reason their dog chases a rabbit deep into the woods or something, but I doubt that will happen.

NSFW:

2co3e9t.jpg

this photo was taken on the 17th of july, so a little less than one month ago. Notice how one plant magically isn't affected by slugs :O
The topped one is growing more vigorous somehow (on the left)

Nice going. I would recommend trying organic slug pellets if you can. They're made from an iron compound (ferrous sulphate) and work really well because the slugs gobble them up happily with the cereal content. Every since I started using them I've not had any trouble with slugs and snails at all. You have to replenish the pellets on the ground occasionally, but not that often because they don't get washed away straight away. They're certainly a lot more convenient that other methods like beer or yeast traps which need emptying and refilling every few days.

We have some wonderful plants just starting to bud. Here's a peek.
NSFW:

qojf5g.jpg

Good to see all you Northern Hemisphere folk are enjoying your summer. On the other side of the world things are coming along a bit slower and a bit colder:

NSFW:
P1050187.jpg

NSFW:
P1050181.jpg

Looking a bit leafy but pollination has occurred.

I visited my plants a coulpe of days ago and they haven't started flowering yet :O
One is throwing female preflowers tho.

Could it be that they dont get ENOUGH light to start the flowering process at all ?

They should still flower, but if they aren't getting enough light it could be that the yield and quality won't be as good. Your days should be getting shorter so I'm sure they will start soon.

^aus as well and i just pulled and cured what little amount i grew over the last 3 months - experiment. it's that time of the year to start thinking about throwing in for a first hit before a second, harder round early next year where i am.

some mutt sprouted out the door so was naturally inclined to see what may come unaided apart from a few sprinkles of water. took a good 6-8 weeks before it hit about where your top pick is at. was leafy like. there wasn't much body to this. packs a nice heavy punch, extremely sedating and it's proving to relieve a good amount of neurological pain i suffer from a degenerative disc disease.

experiment successfully completed and thoroughly enjoyed around.