• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA]Community Growing advice, tips, tricks, & experiences Part 4

Clawing is often from too much nutrients. Add burnt tips to that and it becomes even more likely that it's nutrient toxicity rather than deficiency.

Lock out is unlikely unless something funky is going on though, the problem is usually rather just due to over feeding most of the time.

You're right that wilting is temporary. If watered the plant leaves should become turgid within half and hour after watering. If the soil has been left to dry out and it's a soilless peat moss-based mix then it might be a good idea to rewet it with plant saponins like yucca extract. It's like a detergent that reduces surface tension of the water and stops it from being hydrophobic so that it rewets more easily instead of the water just falling through inbetween the rootball and the pot and out the bottom through the drainage holes. Prevention is better than cure though. Each time the plant wilts root hairs are killed off and you knock off some of the potential end yield of the plant, so it's better to never get in that situation in the first place and observe your plant to meet it's needs properly at all times.

^thanks.

I've not heard of butanone before, let along it being used to make hashish. I would be suspicious about the safety of it and possible impurities in it myself but who knows, it might be okay. Personally I would stick to the tried and tested brands of butane because there's no point in risking exposure to a potential carcinogen so you're right to be concerned.

By the way here's the bud that I got which the hash came from. As you can see it could have gone a bit longer but it seems okay.

NSFW:
med_gallery_51167_3097_9079.jpg

Not sure if we are speaking of butane , or something else, but , I recently made butane hash (or was a part of making it) , It worked very well actually, it was just annoying to set it up properly. But, it is some quality hash, no doubt about that.

I'm currently letting all my buds dry, then Im gonna take pictures, kinda bummed all my pictures got lost some how :(

and that clawing does sound like nute burn, I agree.
-off subject, but, nice ADHD thread AE

The substance he was using was methyl ethyl ketone or MEK, it sounded very simple I think all he used was an electric frying pan and the solvent. I havent tried the product simply because I am not sure if there will be residue of MEK in it and it doesnt sound like something I want to inhale.

I'm so happy, I got my 'Sprungbags' today. Sprungbags are basically like bubblebags but cheaper. The quality seems just as good and from what others say about them they work just as well if not better.

Right now I just need to figure out how much ice to get.

So I was away to on vacation for a week, my mum took care of them. Luisa has started flowering while Erna is just stretching (might aswell cull her because she doesnt show signs of flowering yet and I dont like her that much anyways...still thinking about it)

let the flowering commence :p
NSFW:

29bygdg.jpg

also a bit offtopic:
http://youtu.be/rc55bn5Nq9Q my new favorite for smoking =D

^Is that cali orange or the autoflower? Its always good to see pistils though. So far I have 3 out of 4 with male flowers :(

Its the reveg of the kc33xlowryder , kc33 dom pheno.
the orange bud plants are all out in the wilderness, doing quite ok. got a few snail problems here and there but they are alive and healthy =)

Sorry to here about your males, but you know there is a karma to it all, i got 2/2 males in the first run and 3/3 females in the second, keep pushing :)

EDIT: I concluded kc33 dom because of its insane stinkyness and good potency, the others of the bunch had about half as much trichromes and nearly no smell...

Last edited:
Very neat video, I love the quality of it. I've always loved watching time lapse videos while high, I've always wanted to find some videos that are like an hour long with good music to trip out to :) , never could find one though, just shorter videos. (sound reminds me somewhat of imogen heap though)

Okay, well, I have my clones, 6 green crack, 2 pineapple trainwreck.
6 I plan to grow indoors (have them buried outside in pots so the pots dont get hot during the day, and so I can save on electricity for a few days while I finish trimming in the dark room.

Still waiting for my girl to come over to steal her camera from her, I was pretty disappointed in the QUALITY of buds, but , I got what I paid for (cheap seeds)
Half of what got is going to butter this weekend, the other half I believe is pretty good and defiantly smokable. I believe my #1 mistake was vegging wayyy too long.

I'm pretty happy that I've finally got down the proper pH and nutrient levels, I had one plant that literally only dropped about 5-8 leaves within the whole 3 month process (and I usually lose quite a few to nute burn, and other little problems that I caused because I was so careless when I first started growing and those bad habits followed me until I broke myself of them)

So, who wants to start Part 5? Dun dun dunnnnn

*Steals Xayos plant and AEs bags and slowly walks off as if nothing happened*

Thanks guys :)

SBMzL.jpg
why are the leafs bear clawing still? I let it dry out, stopped using nutes. idk what wrong. every leaf is clawing, some tips are brown, some bottom older leafs are turning yellow and dieing. Also, on some of the stems the tops of them are red, idk if that has to do with anything or not.

Last edited:
You've been feeding it too much mate. Just keep giving it tepid water and use a wet/dry cycle and it'll be fine.

I also got a problem with red stems on the kc33xlr , i stopped giving nutes a few weeks ago and have been feeding only tap water, now switching to bloom nutes, would you suggest to give one more veg feeding before that ? I herd that nitrogen in flowering increases stretch + leafiness but I dont want my plant to die before finishing on the other hand...kind of confused :S

iStoned and Xayo, where are these stems you are describing? Is it the main stem? Please explain exactly where they are.

I would wait until the leaves become a bit yellow and then commence feeding.

Got a question about the cooling/ventilation setup for a grow room

Can you set it up like this (inside the room): light hood > carbon filter > fan > exhaust? Seems like most people set it up with the filter before the hood, which I read can get the light dirty. (or they set it up a number of other ways, none of which is the way I mentioned)
The only concern I could see with this is heat degrading the carbon, but I'm not sure how hot it has to be for that to happen. But, I would think the fan should be moving enough air to keep both the light and carbon filter cool, so it shouldn't be a problem, especially if you oversize the filter so there's plenty of airflow.

Any thoughts?

Some people would have it like this:

a) carbon filter --> inline fan--> air cooled hood --> outside tent through ducting --> outdoors through window (e.g. window box).

A better alternative setup would be this:

b) grow room air --> air cooled hood through ducting --> inline fan --> outside tent through ducting --> outdoors through window for example

And you would have an intake and extraction connected to a carbon filter like you would in any other grow room without an air cooled hood. This also would lead to the outdoors.

With the way you described the hot air from the light would get expelled into the room the tent is situated in and then eventually sucked back in through the intake. So the temperature would rise as the same air would be recycled over and over again. If you ran the setup described under a) then that would work okay but it has to be run outdoors and not into the room your tent is in (if you're using a tent).

A much better setup would be this:

grow room air --> air cooled hood through ducting --> inline fan --> outside tent through ducting --> outdoors through window for example

And you would have an intake and extraction connected to a carbon filter like you would in any other grow room without an air cooled hood. This also would lead to the outdoors.
And you would be using 2 small fans vs 1 bigger one. Less fans seems more convenient imo, but idk much about growing

With the way you described the hot air from the light would get expelled into the room the tent is situated in and then sucked back in through the intake. So the temperature would rise as the same air would be recycled over and over again.
How so? The exhaust would go outside (maybe I should have specified that), but the filter and fan would be inside the room.

If you ran it like this:
carbon filter --> air cooled hood --> inline fan --> outdoors through ducting so that the hot air would be expelled outside your house then that would work.
Ok but could I do it like this:
grow room air > air cooled hood > carbon filter > fan > exhaust through window. Is there any reason to not put the carbon filter after the air cooled hood, rather than before it?

And you would be using 2 small fans vs 1 bigger one. Less fans seems more convenient imo, but idk much about growing

The advantage is you can run the two fans different speeds. You also are able to run cold air from the outdoors through the air cooled hood, having ultra efficient cooling like it was designed for. You wouldn't be able to do that with the other method. But the other way I stated above will work also.

How so? The exhaust would go outside (maybe I should have specified that)

Then that's different, I didn't realize you were going to vent outdoors.

Ok but could I do it like this:
grow room air > air cooled hood > carbon filter > fan > exhaust through window. Is there any reason to not put the carbon filter after the air cooled hood, rather than before it?

No that wouldn't work because you need to suck through the carbon filter so it doesn't work that way. I'm not sure if you're aware of how they work though?

Last edited:
fans-and-filters.jpg
The air is sucked upwards from through the carbon filter and out the other end of the inline fan. So as you can see you can't put it between the air cooled hood and the fan (well you could by using a t-joint but that wouldn't work very well at all because you wouldn't have much suction).

Well I was thinking you could connect the hood to the bottom side of the filter with ducting.....but it looks like you can't do that.

EDIT: after watching a video, it appears that bottom isn't open. I thought air was sucked through an inlet on the filter and through the prefilter mesh, but it looks like it only sucks through the mesh.

Last edited:
Its not the main stem, the purpling is on the middle branches (bottom ones are green, top ones are green) It doesn't appear 100% purple, more like veins