• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA] 2010-2011 Community Growing advice, tips, tricks, & experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.
nutes? I use fox farms Big Bloom, its .01, .3, .07.(NPK)

My RO system has a ph of 7.5 (lowered to about 6.3-6.9), ppm is .1
I also have a pen meter(digital)

Our tap water is pretty bad, it has alot of particulate matter in it, and it has ALOT of sulfur, to the extent that it smells like eggs when you use the tap for water (especially in warm water, God, it wreaks. )

Last edited:
^ That's odd! How is the water company allowed to get away with that?

By the way, although I'm from across the pond, from what I've heard Fox Farm media and nutrients are very good.

You won't need the pH meter or to adjust the pH of the nutrient solution if you're in compost though.

edit: I just checked and FF Big Bloom is an organic nutrient. Therefore any adjustment in pH will be counterproductive. If you're doing this you should stop and you'll definitely without a shadow of doubt get better results.

I assume you're not measuring EC/TDS/ppm of the nutrient solution? You shouldn't do this (not that you are) since organic molecules are not able to dissociate into positive and negative components in solution like a mineral salt fertilizer would do and therefore don't affect the electrical conductivity of the nutrient mixture, so any reading on a CF/TDS/EC will be completely meaningless, especially when the compost to which the nutrients are added buffer the pH anyway, making alterations in the pH pointless.

Last edited:
In the past, I have used FoxFarm ocean forest potting soil, but this next round I am going to use B'Cuzz coco and Organic Roots (the Roots has so many good things in it-guano, earthworm castings, dolomite lime, sea kelp etc etc.) A friend of mine is completely sold on these two things as a medium, the B'Cuzz coco is so silky smooth its unbelievable. I used to use FoxFarm Grow, Tiger Bloom & Big Bloom. Just the BigBloom is organic, the other has trace elements and stuff. It is very simple using a 1 part grow & bloom. Once I am finished w/ my current stock of Humbolt's 3 part nutes, I may go back to the Fox Farm. I am getting nice results from the Humbolt County line of nutes though. One thing for sure, the Bushmaster & Gravity DEFINATELY work!! The buds were bigger on the Bushmaster fed plants as opposed to the non-fed Bushmaster ones, and the Gravity is a godsend, it really fattens and hardens up the buds nicely. I only use it once or twice about 3 weeks from harvest and the last 3 weeks, I flush w/ plain water and Humbolt Honey ES-it's just like molasses. I have seen a really nice increase in budswell doing this and the finished product burns smooth all the way through a joint or bowl, no charcoal effect and the buds are nice and tasty..no chemical taste.

Let's face it...it's fucking weed...IF you only used clean water, fresh air & a good amount of light and it will still grow and do it's thing. All this stuff on the market is just a marketing ploy, but some of it does help bring out the full potential of the genetics and helps increase yield. However, I believe 90% of it is which strain you use. Because, you can have a shitty strain and no matter how well you care for it and no matter how much fertilizers you use, it will still be SHIT! BUT, you can have a superior strain and put just enough care into it and you will still have some pretty potent tasty stuff.

Good advice from AE there^.

Thank you :)

A good investment for your plants is a water butt which harvests rainwater, which can be bought for less than $20. Plants do prefer rainwater over the longer term to tapwater.

You need to keep the lid on the water butt if you do buy it to keep pests and pathogens out. Another good way to keep the water very clean is to get a 9-18W UV pond sterilizer. This is very cheap and effective and will kill all pathogen even making the rainwater safe to drink I beileve! You could also use 5ml hydrogen peroxide per litre of rainwater. This is available cheaply from grow shops e.g. 'Oxy-Plus'. As well as destroying pathogens/pests it also decomposes into oxygen and pure water, the former of which dissolves into solution, meaning your rainwater will be kept lovely and oxygenated. Genearally keeping the oxygen levels above 6ppm will create a favourable environment for aerobes, i.e. beneficial microorganisms rather than pathogenic anaerobic microbes.

I just checked my own water butt and after one single evening of rainfall, the whole 100L water butt has been completely filled with rainwater!

Using a water butt to harvest rainwater for your plants and to do things like bathe in it will help you to do your bit for the environment as water is generally in short supply and is a precious commodity!

I have two dogs, and theres quite a bit of dust in my room, Ive been trying to keep it clean but its pretty bad...Is there anything I can do to keep hair/dust off of the plant? when Look at it closely I see lots of dust and hair .

^ if you have your carbon filter set up properly with negative pressure in the room it should remove dust. Also, a negative ion generator designed to remove smell from the grow room will prevent dust particles (including hair and dust) from being an issue by causing them to precipitate. You can build this yourself quite easily. Once set up dust will completely cease to be an issue. It also gets rid of pathogenic spores and bacteria from the air. As well as precipitating dust etc. it also improves plant growth (and is good for you). It gives lovely fresh-smelling air - the same type you get after it has been raining outside when the air becomes fresh and sweet-smelling. I woulp

Last edited:
any idea on the size or how much power the one I should get should have.
Also, when I buy one, can I keep it in my room, or should I just put it in my closet, and if i just put it in my closet do I have to keep it away from the plant?

No problem, I was just reading into it, and ofcourse on the internet it usually mixed answers, some people say you can't breath next to them, some say they're fine, others say to keep it away from plants as it'll burn them, lol, you know how it goes,
And the measurements are weird, all centimeters squared that I saw, lolol.

In September 2007, the California Air Resources Board announced a ban of in-home ozone producing air purifiers.

Still thinking of getting an air filter for my room ingeneral, would that help eleminate in the closet since most of the dust is in my room in the first place ? or would it need to be ran in the closet all the time?
Anyone know what I should look out for?

Last edited:
Well, as for ventilation, it's in my closet, with a fan blowing on the lights/plants. to help keep air moving in that area. When they do flower, the Soft White CFLs(which I believe are used for flowing) kept the temp around 78-80...
But, Im Vegging right now so I need the daylight bulbs. which is where the heat came from, so, they should be fine for now while vegging in the heat, and when flowing, the other bulbs will be much coolers, so hopefully that all works out, thanks Wise420,
And Clara, what are the silicon supplements used for? where would I find them?

And sega, yes, they are 23 watt bulbs, I take it you didn't take time to read that I've got 12 bulbs.

-And thank you all again for the tips, all are appreciated. Ill try to take a pic of my grow box and post it, maybe someone could help me find some ways to vent it, I bet buying some clamps and sperating the bulbs would displace heat quite well, but I don't wanna have to go buy a whole bunch of gooseneck clamps.[/QUOTE ]

Hey man was reading that your veg room temp were very warm and flower temps a little lower. You really want your room temps to be lower. the lower the temps, the more humidity you have in a room, hence that being the ideal atmosphere for vegging plants. And for flowering higher temps mean lower humidty and less a chance of getting bud mold. budding plants don't like humidity, and you'll get more tricroms or crystals. Bud keepa clos eye one bud surface temps when flowering. fans fans and circulation for more air and Co2 movement around the fan leaves, thus increasing yeild at harvest.
Check out opengrow.com I'm a member and started with CFL's. register and you'll find anythings you need to about growing-indoor diy..cfl's, HPS, MH's. To hydro to micro indoor too large skale grow ops...etc. But check it outman its a good family vibe over there. good guys helpng one grower to another.
DOSE1y

Eh, its going alright, not as good as I'd like to see...

The very top of the buds/colas are very under developed, when the rest of the plant is budding quite well...Lots of hairs on the buds/flowers, at the very top, its just, very leafy, and few hairs.

Still, not much of a scent though, kinda weird to me, my plant that I have outdoor (same genetics/strain. The plant outside has Barely started to flower, it has maybe 10 hairs on it, but smells 20X stronger than the plant i have inside, the plant I've got in my closet only smells if I bend the stems, or move the leaves around alot. I dont know if thats because of the carbon filter or just, a weird old thing)

Also, Ive been looking at my plant closely, and taking off hairs/dust with tweezers (yes, it was pretty bad, I have two dogs in my room)
I ended up deep cleaning my room(and the dogs,lol) and purchasing an air purifier. its has a CDAR of 250, and my room is about 12X12...

Anyways, Ill try to get some pics up tomorrow, maybe tonight...
Have a few questions though,
During flowering, alot of my larger shade leafs ended up yellowing, wilting, and falling off. Is this normal or what? Should I leave these leafs on the plant?

Ive had the plant going for about 1 month, very few hairs have died/turned brown. (on one stem/cola, the top of the plants hairs have browned and dried out., but the rest continue to look fine)
When do these hairs start to turn color? Are they supposed to stay alive and well until I harvest?

Do the little buds on the stem (seperate from the top of the bud/stem) grow up the stem and make one large bud, or do they just grow in the spots that they occur, Sorry if this doesnt make sense. Well, I guess Im just wondering if the bud grows up the WHOLE stem,or if they grow in the little spots they are in, as of right now , the tops of the plant are budded, and seem to "one piece of bud". The lower part of the plant just had tiny little buds

Also, I have two clones, smaller plants, but I left them outside because they had a bug problem, well, i sprayed them, and the bugs are gone, but, the clones started to flower, Can I take them inside and re-veg them, or would that have a negative effect?

Eh, its going alright, not as good as I'd like to see...

The very top of the buds/colas are very under developed, when the rest of the plant is budding quite well...Lots of hairs on the buds/flowers, at the very top, its just, very leafy, and few hairs.

Still, not much of a scent though, kinda weird to me, my plant that I have outdoor (same genetics/strain. The plant outside has Barely started to flower, it has maybe 10 hairs on it, but smells 20X stronger than the plant i have inside, the plant I've got in my closet only smells if I bend the stems, or move the leaves around alot. I dont know if thats because of the carbon filter or just, a weird old thing)

Also, Ive been looking at my plant closely, and taking off hairs/dust with tweezers (yes, it was pretty bad, I have two dogs in my room)
I ended up deep cleaning my room(and the dogs,lol) and purchasing an air purifier. its has a CDAR of 250, and my room is about 12X12...

Anyways, Ill try to get some pics up tomorrow, maybe tonight...
Have a few questions though,
During flowering, alot of my larger shade leafs ended up yellowing, wilting, and falling off. Is this normal or what? Should I leave these leafs on the plant?

Ive had the plant going for about 1 month, very few hairs have died/turned brown. (on one stem/cola, the top of the plants hairs have browned and dried out., but the rest continue to look fine)
When do these hairs start to turn color? Are they supposed to stay alive and well until I harvest?

Do the little buds on the stem (seperate from the top of the bud/stem) grow up the stem and make one large bud, or do they just grow in the spots that they occur, Sorry if this doesnt make sense. Well, I guess Im just wondering if the bud grows up the WHOLE stem,or if they grow in the little spots they are in, as of right now , the tops of the plant are budded, and seem to "one piece of bud". The lower part of the plant just had tiny little buds

Also, I have two clones, smaller plants, but I left them outside because they had a bug problem, well, i sprayed them, and the bugs are gone, but, the clones started to flower, Can I take them inside and re-veg them, or would that have a negative effect?
Leaf those big leafs on. In my experience if you cut them off, or they die off early into flowering this will take a big toll on your final yeild.

Those brown hairs usually can start browning after 3 weeks. It's normal, I wouldnt worry. Most will be brown by harvest, then by drying them that will completely finish them up.

The buds may connect up the main, if you could get a pic next time of the main with a clear shot of the buds forming we could tell you.

You could reveg those clones, just be aware they could also hermie on your. Just make sure there healthy when your doing the switch.

NLF2.jpg

NLF.jpg

Sorry, Quality is bad, might not even be able to tell from the pics, but yeah....
Lots of Hairs, been about a month , hairs are starting to die down a small bit.
I have flushed twice, and I have stopped nuting, plant still seems to be burning on the edges, I dont get it...

Im really hoping my next crop turns out better, Im guessing a need a new medium

I hate to say it but that's exactly what my plant went through, the same one I mentioned lost all it's leaves and pretty much all it's yeild. I guess your pH must be out. Have you tested it lately?

The actual buds wont grow to much due to the stress, that's why they'll appear behind.

Last edited:
Well, theres quite a few buds on there, you cant see in the pic cause its not clear at all,
I've been watering with a pH of about 6.0-6.9
Haven't used nutes since the flushes as Im scared to cause nute burn yet again.
Figure I might as well just let it ride its natural course for the next 3-4 weeks and see if it doesnt pop back up a little.

Also, I dont know if this is a good plan or not, but after harvesting I was planning on revegging the mother,(along with the others that I germinate for my next crop) mainly for the purpose of cloning, but also hoping it would have an okay yield.
Ive been reading that after about harvest #3 quality starts going down hill a bit.

Test the soil's pH along with the water run-off. Something in the soil may be putting it out.

Im just saying, compared to what your plant could be looking like atm it's seriously gonna take a toll on the final yeild. As you say those bud's are at week 4 flowering and only that size.

If things stay the same as they are she could hermie on you, which would mean you'd have to get her out of the box so she dosent pollinate your grow box and fuck future females.

lol, pH has been about 6.3-7.0.

Im guessing it's just the medium It's in, roots probably finally hit bottom, probably need a bigger pot to plant it in. But hey, atleast I started with just one plant rather than a crop right...

Lets just hope in 4 more when when I start my new crop things go better...

Just need to find myself , or make a better medium for the plant. Also, temps will be down in four weeks as well, so I wont have to worry about this damn 80-90 degree shit.

I dont think the plants going to hermie, all signs still show female, it was kind of odd, the two largest stems didn't seem to want to grow hairs on top. well, in the past 3 days, they started putting out hairs...

I'm guessing I'll probably get somewhere around 20g of some average bud, but knowing I grew is exciting none the less...

Also found an aphid on my plant....Now, I know the rule goes as, where theres one, theres more. Well, I have literally searched the plant, under the leaves, through the buds, with a 15X magnifying glass and nothing.
Really blows my mind, Im gonna have to sanitize the hell out of my closet once this plant is done.

-edit-
Also, come to think of it, I did grow this plant longer than it would've normally taken under MH/HPS, as I started with CFLs, Is it possible that the roots have hit bottom and have no more space to go?
Im only asking because it seems that since flowering the plant has not grown in height, I was told it will stretch 2-3 times its size , and it grew 2-3 inches and just, stopped.

Dude, your soil has toxic levels, plant has probably locked out all nutes and your PH fluctuation isn't good, try and stay around the same ph, IMO 6.7 is perfect, but then again it depends on the strain, some like diff things, but basically if you stay around 6.7 you should be good. Next time, stay on the lighter side with the nutes. That thing is probably pretty heat stressed as well. I always take July & August off...those months are for building up your "army" of clones, getting them nice and healthy and working on building strong healthy roots.

If I can make a recommendation that you should seriously consider, get yourself some good medium. This cycle, I used B'Cuzz Coco with Organic Roots. I mixed one bag of each and then upsized my clones. I haven't posted any pictures recently, but if you look in the 'quarter ounce in pocket thread" I posted pics of my cycle. I upsized on 8/23 and put in the 400 MH, I only have pics posted til 8/30. I took some yesterday morning, so I will try and post em up. My closet is filling out really nicely and I haven't even switch to 12/12 yet. I plan on doing that over the next day or two.

I know some people may take issue with my advice, but I am just telling you what I do, do what you may with it. Good luck man.

Status
Not open for further replies.