• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

MDMA damage - need some help fast

shambha

Greenlighter
Hi guys, this is my first post on here. Basically, I'm posting because I'm in a bit of a dark place at the moment and have been for the past 3 years. I've read numerous threads of others who seem to have the same symptoms as me, in the hope I can learn more about what I'm going through. I'm 25 now.

So this is how it goes. I've never taken drugs per se, if you exclude the odd bit of weed every now and then, which was rare at that and in my summer vacations. 4 years ago I was introduced to MDMA at a festival (aged 21) and LOVED it but only tried it once that summer and didn't do it again until the following summer where I went to the same festival; again I did a very small amount over the 3 days and no more than the equivalent of 1.5-2 pills. A week later I did some more at a party and again only 0.5-0.75 of a cap. My initial experience of the drug the previous summer was so good that my attitude was, 'hey, it's summer time again, may as well have some fun'. So, 2 weeks later I had the opportunity to do MDMA again, and decided it was worth it as it was the last time I would do it for a year; this is where I think the really bad damage occured.

At the party I ended up taking 3 pills and before that I'd already had 13/14 beers - really silly in hindsight but at the time I guess it was good fun and I thought no better. I never intended to do that much and was a little naive. Anyway, ended up going to a hotel after the party, slept a little, and the following night there were a group of us together and more pills were on offer. Initially I didn't want to take any because I felt so lethargic and didn't feel up to it. In the end, I decided to take half a tab and not long after I started experiencing extreme anxiety and heart palpatations. This feeling lasted 6 hours or so and was probably one of the scariest times of my life because I thought I was going to die - obviously the extreme dehydration/lack of sleep from the previous night probably contributed to my bad experience. Eventually I managed to get some sleep and by the time I woke up the anxiety and heart palpatations had passed. My feeling was that after a good break I'd be back to normal.

Once summer was over and I was back into my final year at university I started experiencing symptoms of something I couldn't explain; extreme tiredness, memory issues, blurred vision, social anxiety, weight loss etc. It only took me so long before I put two and two together and eventually I found out from the doctor I was experiencing depression. Still though, I thought things would be back to normal eventually but I was wrong.

Today, I am STILL experiencing problems that I can only attribute to what happened 3 years ago as the symptoms started appearing around that time. My memory was outstanding before this, not that it's awful now, but just not the same. Recalling names (even people I know) is far more difficult than it used to be, and should be, and remembering the finer details of things is just far more difficult. I don't really have too much problem remembering the important stuff but the finer details (the ones that are important if you want to have a successful career) are just much more difficult to both recall and learn. Everything just seems so much slower than it did before. My social anxiety has also been dreadful at times and even doing simple things like walking down to the shops causes me problems (manifests itself in different ways, i.e. problems with eye contact and shaking etc). The other thing that is killing me is that I get so tired now from doing the smallest things; I'm talking about EXTREME exhaustion. I'd like to point out that NONE of these symptoms existed before the MDMA use.

To cut a story short, I'm worried about my future. I'm a driven person and am starting to feel that my slight experimentation is going to seriously hold me back. I'm staying positive believing these symptoms will eventually disappear but I can't see too much improvement. I'm doing all the right things; eating healthily, exercising (which makes a difference to the social anxiety) and am even taking a prescribed medication for the social anxiety (not an anti-depressant).

I didn't think that what I did was a lot but it seems it was, and in my mind, I have absolutely NO DOUBT that MDMA was the culprit. Is there anyone out there who has gone through anything similar and can help me? Sorry for the long post but I need some help badly.

Thanks for reading :D

Wow, sorry to hear about that. I have been an off-and-on occasional user of mdma for about 10 years now, and I have had a few occasions where I have had small binges like yours, and the aftereffects were miserable, but they generally lasted only about a day. At worst, they would last about 48-72 hours, but absolutely nothing beyond that.

If your symptoms have persisted for this long and still don't seem to be improving, I would suggest coming clean with your doctor about the MDMA use if you haven't already. Let him or her know that that's around when the symptoms started to appear. If you aren't comfortable telling your doctor or psychiatrist about that, try finding one with whom you would be. If the symptoms really were caused by the MDMA, maybe that would give the doctor some hint towards what might be wrong and help find an appropriate treatment, if there is one.

I have personally never heard of symptoms like this being caused by mdma, and the binges you describe, while excessive, are actually pretty mild compared to the amount of mdma that a lot of people will consume. But just because I haven't heard of it doesn't mean it isn't real and I would never presume to tell you that you aren't experiencing what you say you are, and I would hope that any decent psychiatrist or doctor would take the same attitude.

Thanks for your reply scureto1. I've already come clean with my doctor(s) about what I did. First one I saw thought it was all in my head and wasn't really taking me seriously so I switched. My current doctor understands my symptoms but I don't think really knows what to do. I've been on a number of different anti-depressants which had varying levels of success. I'm currently on a new med (not an anti-depressant) which is helping slightly for the social anxiety. I'm also starting a course of CBT which should help. There's been plenty of times where I thought it was all in my head but the symptoms just don't go away. If you equate my lifetime pill count it's only around 10/11 which is barely anything but I know how I used to feel and what I feel like now. I think some people have probably been doing MDMA too long to know how they were before - for me, because I don't do drugs regularly, it was so obvious (and still is) that something is very wrong.

Whatever happened on that one particular night has done something to my brain, I don't know what but I can feel it. I should also add that I've also had bad insomnia to go along with the other symptoms. I just want to go back to my old level but I don't know if it's possible. Just wanted to know if anyone out there (i.e. more experienced users) have gone through anything similar and if they managed to recover. I just feel I'm paying a heavy price for a little experimentation. I would have thought it would have taken a lot more M to affect me this way.

Last edited:
Have you heard of Lions Mane mushrooms?

They are used medically to help the healing process of Neurological damage/ problems/ disease.
You may find them Beneficial.

That sure is a short amount of time / small amount of pills for all those symptoms to arise . But it definitely can happen, some people get psychological problems quickly with MDMA while with some people it takes much longer. Then you have that other group that just ignores it all and says nothing bad has happened to them. You said you were on SSRI's before which means you had some underlying depression unless you took those SSRI's because of the MDMA. But if you were already on them for some time than MDMA messed with your serotonin system and made your depression much worse. You are on a medication for social anxiety, im guessing a benzo. After repeated benzo use people do say they feel kind of dull of emotions and, some of your memory problems could definitely be attributed to that.

I'm sorry i'm not much of any help, in most cases it takes poly drug use as well as MDMA to get where your at. The best advice i can give you is to NOT compulsively worry about what damage you may have done with MDMA. That will seriously make you more depressed and slow down your brains repair process, although by 3 years it should honestly be done now. Get some vitamin B6 and 12 in you, i know that helped me a lot with MDMA recovery. Look into other supplements that can repair serotonin function. It sucks that i don't have very good answers for you, usually by a full year off MDMA your brain should have normal serotonin function by then. But i have definitely been in your place, and constantly thinking about the problems i had from MDMA(I was using other drugs as well, mostly weed but no doubt MDMA caused the main issues). I think for the most part things have kind of cleared up with me, i still have some lingering effects.

Thanks for your replies so far guys, much appreciated :) I wasn't on anti-depressants before trying MDMA; I suppose you could say I leaned slightly towards the depressive side but nothing I couldn't handle by myself. I only considered the anti-depressants as a remedy to what I was feeling. I'm now taking Lyrica (Pregbalin) for the social anxiety by the way - does help somewhat. I know what you mean about worrying about it constantly because it only makes things worse; it's just that sometimes the symptoms become so uncontrollable that you're forced to face up to them again and it starts your mind off again over analysing things.

I honestly believe people say they have zero problems from MDMA are in denial (or they really don't know). I just think it's a matter of time before we find out exactly how MDMA works in the mind and how it may cause damage, then the doubters will actually believe what you or I are saying. I'm living proof it fucks you up and I didn't do that much either. I'm not gonna give up, I just hope there's encouragement from people out there about how to get myself back on track. I've heard piracetam may be good for mental clarity? Does anyone suggest I should try that?

Yea i'm with you, people are in denial for sure. I didn't use it too often either and it fucked me up for a good while until i just started ignoring the symptoms. And as for piracetam i haven't tried it my self, but many people on this site swear by it. You should definitely give it a go, it might make you feel much better. Just don't take it religiously , and after a month or 2 you should see how you are with out it.

Good replies in here.

I experienced something quite similar to you. I started messing around with MDMA, and it was a steady decline into depression from the first time I used it. It was fine for a while, magical, amazing, but then very quickly turned into something bad. I had one particularly bad experience when I was messing with computer duster while rolling, and had an unexpected trip-out where I had a complete loss of ego. For a couple minutes, I was unable to comprehend time, space, self, anything, didn't recognize my girlfriend of 5 years, yeah, SCARY shit for a drug-naive person not expecting such an experience.

Well, to make a long story short, after this night I felt like a different person. I feel into the deepest, darkest depression imaginable, borderline suicidal, absolutely nothing positive to say about life, I got super sick, anxiety attacks through the roof, hysterical crying, just an absolute mess!! At first I didn't think it was the drugs, I didn't want to think it was the drugs, but subconsciously I knew all along it most certainly was the drugs. So, I abstained for a long time, took supplements like 5-htp and vitamins like B, E and D, and so far I feel like I'm on the road to recovery. Today, I do not feel free of lingering effects, but they get less and less as time goes on. I can feel myself healing, and my body thanks me for abstaining.

One thing I did notice is that a lot of the 'effects' are in my head. I freak myself out about things, over think it, cause myself anxiety, and it's not until I take a step back and think about it, I realize, "Oh, I'm just over-thinking it" and whatever "it" is, it usually goes away.

You might find this trip report I recently wrote quite interesting: http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/593340-MDMA-Experienced-Saying-goodbye

My advice to you, and some of these are obvious but they WORK, stay healthy, ABSTAIN from MDMA use completely and totally (or all drugs completely if possible), take vitamins, eat right, exercise, and my friend you will recover, I guarantee it. One fortunate thing about MDMA is yes it can be damaging, but rarely does it cause irreversible damage. Our bodies and brains are extremely resilient and have an amazing ability to heal and repair themselves. You fall down, you scrape your knee, it bleeds everywhere, really sucks for a while, but then eventually it heals and you can't even tell that damage ever occurred on your knee. Your brain is made of the same stuff you know!!

You will be just fine. :)

Personally I doubt if you would have suffered much neurological damage from taking such a small amount of mdma.
Did you actually get mdma or did get a pill mixed up with a lot of other stuff. Who knows?
Ok let's pretend you got mdma cut with a neutral substance. In that case you probably had some sort of underlying condition that was triggered by your mdma use.
The last possible explanation otherwise is that the symptoms you've got have nothing to do with your drug use at all.
Regards

Are you sure it wasn't the fucking duster that messed you up? That shit will kill you. In my experience too much of anything can be bad so binges are always a bad idea. If used in moderation MDMA can help people with depression. I have had severe depression most of my childhood but after experimenting with MDMA I can actually feel happy for the first time in my life. If you haven't already I would try tripping on some good old shrooms. These can also help deal with depression by digging deep inside of you and finding what is causing the depression if it is not just a chemical imbalance

For sure I don't know whether what I took on those nights was pure MDMA and in all likelihood was mixed with something. What's for certain is it's not all in my head. Dwelling on my symptoms definitely makes things worse but I can't deny it's not there. I've tried plenty of times to tell myself there's nothing wrong, then bam, the symptoms hit me in the face again and I know it's not just mind over matter. Maybe there was a toxic reaction that night, I just don't know. I can only say how I'm feeling now. Just wish I could have continued my once a year thing, now I don't wanna touch the stuff in case it makes me worse.

For sure I don't know whether what I took on those nights was pure MDMA and in all likelihood was mixed with something. What's for certain is it's not all in my head. Dwelling on my symptoms definitely makes things worse but I can't deny it's not there. I've tried plenty of times to tell myself there's nothing wrong, then bam, the symptoms hit me in the face again and I know it's not just mind over matter. Maybe there was a toxic reaction that night, I just don't know. I can only say how I'm feeling now. Just wish I could have continued my once a year thing, now I don't wanna touch the stuff in case it makes me worse.

It's all in your head. Trust me. You put yourself where you are right now. You don't have any "braindamage" from a drug you did 3 years ago, trust me on this.
You said that you've already rolled the previous day AND took about 13 beers. The beer alone can skyrocket your anxiety levels.
It sounds to me like the horrible experience the night after just put your brain way into overdrive.

Your brain has gotten used to thinking this way, and now you need to un-learn the habit.
Why are you experiencing symptoms now after 3 years? It's because YOU are doing this to yourself. You say yourself that it's most certainly brain damage from MDMA alone. That kind of thinking alone will STOP you from recovering, ENTIRELY.

All the symptoms are easily explained by simple anxiety. If you're too anxious all the time, your brain will become "confused" in a way.
Wait until your fully at peace with yourself and free from anxiety before you start blaming a drug.

Reading about your symptoms and trying to find a solution on the internet is doing nothing for you. It only convinces your subconsious mind that it's "damaged".
I suggest you take a break from everything and find a new hobby, an activity. Something that takes your mind off things. Try playing an instrument, you'll notice that the second your focus has switched to playing the instrument... POOF symptoms will be gone.

Also, try to stop all medications.
You're fine trust me :)

It's all in your head. Trust me. You put yourself where you are right now. You don't have any "braindamage" from a drug you did 3 years ago, trust me on this.
You said that you've already rolled the previous day AND took about 13 beers. The beer alone can skyrocket your anxiety levels.
It sounds to me like the horrible experience the night after just put your brain way into overdrive.

Your brain has gotten used to thinking this way, and now you need to un-learn the habit.
Why are you experiencing symptoms now after 3 years? It's because YOU are doing this to yourself. You say yourself that it's most certainly brain damage from MDMA alone. That kind of thinking alone will STOP you from recovering, ENTIRELY.

All the symptoms are easily explained by simple anxiety. If you're too anxious all the time, your brain will become "confused" in a way.
Wait until your fully at peace with yourself and free from anxiety before you start blaming a drug.

Reading about your symptoms and trying to find a solution on the internet is doing nothing for you. It only convinces your subconsious mind that it's "damaged".
I suggest you take a break from everything and find a new hobby, an activity. Something that takes your mind off things. Try playing an instrument, you'll notice that the second your focus has switched to playing the instrument... POOF symptoms will be gone.

Also, try to stop all medications.
You're fine trust me :)

This this this this this!!!!!! Couldn't have said it better.

Wait until a few months down the line, when you finally do feel better. You'll look back at this, laugh at yourself and be like "Yep, sure was in my head." I was convinced for the longest time that I damaged my brain. It's still very possible that I did fuck up something, but as I explained above, no damage is permanent, and within a couple months to a year, there's just no way it's still having an effect.

Now, an overdosage is a different story. If you OD'ed, then yes, it's very possible that damage can occur, but you didn't so I wouldn't worry too much. I know it's hard, it can be SO CONVINCING that something is broken, that you can never feel happy again, that you made a huge mistake, etc.. TRUST ME MY FRIEND you will get over it. :)

Have you ever gone through a really bad breakup? Did you ever feel like you could never love again, she was the ONLY girl you could ever see yourself with, no happiness is in sight, everything just seems worthless, pointless, you feel sick, helpless, like life is just kicking you in the ass and you just can't seem to defend yourself from your own mind. Sound familiar? Do you think brain damage occurs when you break up with a girl? No, it's 100% in your head, and as dezz said above, you brain sort of trains itself to think in patterns, sometimes negative patterns, and it just loops over and over and over on the negative stuff. It's just as easy to re-train it to think positively!!

I also strongly agree with the comment about mushrooms. If you've never tried them before, I suggest you do. Ease into it, just eat a small cap and stem at a time, go to your own peaceful environment, light candles, good music, and make sure someone close by knows you're tripping (trip sitter). You may get extreme anxiety, you may have a bumpy come up, you may even cry hysterically to yourself, but man you will learn so much about yourself you'll be blown away. Once you come to peace with your inner self, and the trip takes you to a much happier, enlightened state, you'll feel euphoria that MDMA could never dream of touching, and that euphoria doesn't go away when the shrooms wear off. Highly, highly recommended.

Best of luck man, I know how you feel. It's the worst feeling in the universe, but believe us when we're telling you that IT GOES AWAY!! :)

Last edited:
Dezz is full of shit. He's never been through what you have so don't let him write your symptoms off. People do this all the time on bluelight and it pisses me off. Certain people are more susceptible to MDMA damage than others. That's why the debate is so polarized; either you get completely fucked or you don't experience any negative effects. The latter demographic has a tendency to ignore and belittle the complaints of the former.

In all seriousness you should consider ECT (electroconvulsive therapy). It sounds crazier than it is and it has a huge rate of efficacy for depression. People here will tell you it's barbaric and totally crazy. These same people will also tell you MDMA is totally harmless. Thus, their opinions are unsound.

And in terms of recovery, you've been struggling for 3 f*****g years. If that doesn't signify some type of permanent damage I don't know what does. It's not like your going to magically bounce back in the next three months after 36 months of hell.

Seriously, if you want to get better look into ECT.

Dezz is full of shit. He's never been through what you have so don't let him write your symptoms off. People do this all the time on bluelight and it pisses me off. Certain people are more susceptible to MDMA damage than others. That's why the debate is so polarized; either you get completely fucked or you don't experience any negative effects. The latter demographic has a tendency to ignore and belittle the complaints of the former.

In all seriousness you should consider ECT (electroconvulsive therapy). It sounds crazier than it is and it has a huge rate of efficacy for depression. People here will tell you it's barbaric and totally crazy. These same people will also tell you MDMA is totally harmless. Thus, their opinions are unsound.
Your the one who is full of shit. I experienced all of the symptoms the op described combined with daily panic attacks which left me terrified and grasping for air. This was triggered by a bad experience with fucking WEED. Now I'm sure weed doesn't damage your brain but still I developed these symptoms. I eventually pulled myself out of it by creating diversion. You can't fight anxiety, no medication or procedure is going to cure you. You have to do it yourself man. Stop checking these forums or research the toxicity of MDMA. It's only making it worse, like I said before, find an activity to distract you from your symptoms, something like photography, art, music, hell theres lots out there. Get out of this rut and start living life man.

If it was all in my head it would have gone away by now. I don't actually dwell on it as much as I may have made out, I just get extremely frustrated by the symptoms, which as I said started after that particular summer. dezz/Seattle_Stranger I know what you mean about thinking positively and changing my thought patterns (that's what the CBT should help with) but I'm telling you there's something else going on here. I wish you could experience it because you'd know what I mean - it's fucking horrible at times. You guys don't think it's possible based on what I did but just maybe I'm one of the unlucky rare people who this happens to; you don't hear about it often but it DOES happen. Having said that, anything is possible I guess, and I suppose the reason about me posting in the first place is not because I want to tell my story and garner sympathy, it's because I want to believe things can get better. If there's anything else anyone can think that helps please post! :)

MDMA can trigger or potentiate other psychological issues such as depression, anxiety, etc. I have had binges in the past that lead to extreme psychological distress however, it eventually went away after only a few weeks. I have been using MDMA for over 10 years now with 1-2 year breaks. I'm almost positive that what you're experiencing is something that is causing you to obsess over your past use when it reality it probably has nothing to do with it. Try focusing your attention on how to get out of your situation and not think about what you did 3 years ago. Try talking to your doctor again, exercising, eating healthy, and most importantly think about your thoughts and what they really mean to you. Think in realistic terms here and do some more research on MDMA. What you will find will put your mind to ease in knowing that you most likely don't have any brain damage and can attribute your symptoms to something else.

cheers cat. heard of ECT actually, might sounds drastic but if things don't get better I might have to turn to it.

Yeah same to you. I'm not trying to sound like a dick but I too am experiencing something similar. I'm also looking into ECT. It's honestly the only treatment modality that has a good chance of much improvement. I just want that info to be put out there because I've come very close to killing myself.

I know the hell you're in, believe me.

Dezz: In regards to weed there is a significant difference. Weed is not a neurotoxin. Your tripout on weed was anxiety related but shambha's tripout is a direct result of brain insult. You can't will yourself out of brain insult in the same way you can't will yourself out of a broken arm. I'm sure shambha would kill to have this suffering be a result of weed.