• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Martial arts, MMA, traditional martial arts etc for fitness, health and self defense.

BTW what would be your 2 books you would recommend people interested in martial arts read? for me I would say - Miyamoto musashi's book of five rings and Marcus Aurelius meditations.
I honestly cannot think of one. The whole reason I got into Krav Maga was the mentioning of it in the Splinter Cell book series. It piqued my curiosity so I did some research and found a great school in my area to go train at......and 5 years later, tough love training!

Talk about being indecisive I'm actually contemplating whether to take krav maga classes
I hope you at least try it for a few classes. Deciding to train in krav is honestly one of the better decisions I've made in my life.

I did try a session last july but it made my body hurt for days lol. I should have continued though if I did I would've been way stronger.

Last edited:
If you like Krav Maga and are interested in the training given to various special forces groups look around your area and see if any one is teaching SAMBO http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambo_(martial_art) and Samoz ( a less aggressive version).
The only reason I mentioned the books is 90% of combat is psychological Musashi's book deals with this nicely and lays out what is now considered to be the gold standard of the Samurai model when in fact it was a huge departure at the time from traditional codified methodology of the 1500's. Bruce lee draws largely on it for JKD in particular it is evident in his be like water speech; as one of the the five rings is water. I mentioned Marcus Aurelius because he is considered the founder of Roman Stoicism the foundation of what later evolved into the western warriors code ( well part of the foundation), it uses largely the same language eastern practitioners use in that the martial arts are about control of self and while violent in their nature are all about finding inner peace, and defending those that can not defend them selves. As well as living by a code of honor, that lays out basic rules for respecting one another.
Martial arts is a great way for one to get into physical shape, and to help prepare ones mind for the rigors of the challenges of the world: but it should also be a way for you to connect with your self in a spiritual manner. Yes the basics are about self defense and preservation but it should also be about finding the center of your self and begin able to act with a clear head in a chaotic situation.From my stand point as a veteran that has seen combat, and not just sport the philosophies of every martial art have at its core the concept that only through the acceptance of our death can we act freely and be unencumbered by our death. While it sounds counter productive, when you remove those thoughts from your mind it allows you to operate with a totally clear head and with deliberate concise decisions. So continue the physical side of training, but look into the mental and spiritual side and let that grow and you will see that you become less concerned with every thing around you in the ring and only concerned with the next move against any given opponent or opponents giving you the advantage of free thought and action. ^-^

^Thank you!, I will look into this as soon as I get a chance. I will more likely take classes starting early next year though as I have already made plans on going on vacations and such but I will take a look at this if possible tonight.

no worries if you interested in the books i mentioned pm me and i will send you a sendspace link so that you can down load the ereader files fro the books ^-^ good luck with your future classes mate.

I did try a session last july but it made my body hurt for days lol. I should have continued though if I did I would've been way stronger.

haha, you have to keep going at it to enable your body to get used to the new hurt of training your body. For me, when I first started, I began craving that pain as a way to know I was pushing myself. I still use it to this day as I continue to train.

neo: I've heard of Sambo but outside of Russia it is very difficult to train in.

I like and agree with what you are saying about the mental/psychological aspect of martial arts. As a vet myself, we were always taught to be aware of our surroundings and my krav training has enhanced this by teaching me to always avoid conflict if possible. But, if you want to go home that night, you will do whatever it takes to do so. This has given me self-confidence that I never had before and allows me to constructively deal with everyday stress by focusing the negative (sometimes) energy into an outlet that may save my life or someone else's one day.

Yeah man def Krav will teach you to be hyper aware. It is a good thing. Sambo is difficult to find training in, luckily where I am at, there is a large Russian community and a few were ex Spetsnaz and teach in my area. But yeah the channeling of excess energy especially negative energy is always a good thing. besides wailing on a heavy bag after you had a rough day is better then anti depressants and a therapist any day ^-^

I feel you on the pain thing, some times you have to feel that barrier as you break through it Pain is only weakness leaving the body. I have be exposed to Krav but have never really given it a fair shake down as far as trying to train in it my self. But after hearing a few of you cats on here and some of the people at the gym i train at talk about it ( we have a few teachers teach it there one of them is a retired IDF officer ( smoking hot girl too) so I may sign up wouldn't mind getting beaten up by a Gina Carano look alike ^-^

Wow guys thanks! This topic is making me want to sign up next early next year.

Wyld 4X how long did you do Krav Maga for?

Yeah man def Krav will teach you to be hyper aware. It is a good thing. Sambo is difficult to find training in, luckily where I am at, there is a large Russian community and a few were ex Spetsnaz and teach in my area. But yeah the channeling of excess energy especially negative energy is always a good thing. besides wailing on a heavy bag after you had a rough day is better then anti depressants and a therapist any day ^-^

I feel you on the pain thing, some times you have to feel that barrier as you break through it Pain is only weakness leaving the body. I have be exposed to Krav but have never really given it a fair shake down as far as trying to train in it my self. But after hearing a few of you cats on here and some of the people at the gym i train at talk about it ( we have a few teachers teach it there one of them is a retired IDF officer ( smoking hot girl too) so I may sign up wouldn't mind getting beaten up by a Gina Carano look alike ^-^
You are really fortunate to be in an area to have some training in that. Its not every day you know someone in the US that has trained in Sambo.

Sooooo lucky! But, after a couple of groin kicks, the honeymoon will be over. haha

Wow guys thanks! This topic is making me want to sign up next early next year.

Wyld 4X how long did you do Krav Maga for?
Ongoing for 5 years now. :D

LOL yeah true but hell, the skills are worth the ass beating ^-^ so you would recommend Krav eh? How hard would it be to pick up, say for some one with 20+ year experiences in martial arts training and combat experience? Versus some one with out. I have been teaching my girl some JKD and Akido but she wants to get into Krav after i have been talking about it and shes been doing some research into it: So I am thinking about signing us both up, but I don't want her to feel its to difficult to pick up. So really this rambling post boils down to one thing would you recommend Krav to a beginner with no experience, and fro a woman?
From what I have read and looked into it seems like a no nonsense skill set that would benefit a woman greatly; as its basically real world ready, Am I on point with that statement?

out of curiosity any one on here experienced or high ranking any of the Kung Fu styles?

Yes. Not "high ranking" though, that takes a couple of decades.

I end up getting kicked in the balls at least once a week, theres a few people I spar with that are notorious for it. In my head its like "choose getting kicked in the balls or punched in the eye"

Stuff like that doesnt phase me as much anymore, only strikes of the sort that send you flying back a few feet, the ones you feel a week later. Those will always suck.

My knowledge and experience is mainly strike oriented, but last year I started learning some grappling and groundfighting basics. Im getting incredibly good at putting chokes on people, and as a result my throat is getting as strong as leather. Given the above, I also have a new meaning to "balls of steel." Some of my pressure points are gaining a crazy high threshold for pain, and likewise im getting very good at clawing/stabbing pressure points and putting high levels of pain on a target without doing any lasting harm.

"The beating is worth it..."

Maybe, but I dont think of it as a beating. Its just a learning experience. If you want to get good at tennis, play it often with a lot of people who are good at tennis. If you wanna get good with a sword, fight people who have swords. If you wanna get good at delivering extreme amounts of pain in an extremely short time, have it done to you and become the pain itself.

Kung Fu, Krav Maga, whatever it is, it shouldnt matter what your experience is, and in the very long run it shouldnt matter what the style is. Its all about how you do your art. Its all a path to a similar plain, at the highest level it doesnt matter what the style is, just how much commitment youve put into it.

Anybody here know anything about eskrima or Filipino knife and stick fighting?

I do it on and off, but the movements are useful because you can use any material, stick, knives, etc, even your fingers. It's very fluid and graceful. I use the lighter cane when I haven't done it in awhile, because the hardwood can give you blisters. It's definitely a blissing out experience..

Fighting is a bit different. I've never used it in IRL but fighting with other people with sticks is like a dance. It has given me the reflex for certain strikes that I wouldn't have before..

But call me old fashioned, I still like boxing a lot. An old philosophical boxing coach that doesn't take it easy on you is worth his weight in gold. For practical purposes as well, you get used to the kind of hits that real life might present. It's not as overtly spiritual but a good coach will teach you values and how to use your strength only as a last resort..

rm-rf you are right when you get down to brass tacks styles are just that styles, combat is combat. Musashi says some thing similar in the book of five rigs to the manner of you can only kill a man with a sword in two ways stabbing and cutting, any one that says any thing different is lying. So sort of the same thing with unarmed combat. Im on the same page with you about getting hit, it becomes routine when you have been training for a long time, part of doing business, so yeah unless you get flung across the room and feel it fro a week its just the rain. And yeah its a lot like religion lot of different window dressings but its all the same goal.

So really this rambling post boils down to one thing would you recommend Krav to a beginner with no experience, and fro a woman?
From what I have read and looked into it seems like a no nonsense skill set that would benefit a woman greatly; as its basically real world ready, Am I on point with that statement?

You are on point. I would definitely recommend it for her or anyone, whether they have experience in other forms of martial arts/combat training or not. Krav is the first combat art I have trained in and is easy for anyone to pick up as it designed that way.

Well my good man you have helped me make my mind up I think I will sign her and myself up fro some courses. I want her to be able to hold her own, and to instill that level of awareness in her. ^-^ Thanks for helping me think aloud and make up my mind Cheers mate.

Oh indeed sir, I shall. I should have stated that shes about as coordinated as a three legged dog ^-^ be she tries hard so it will be interesting at least to watch lol

Oh indeed sir, I shall. I should have stated that shes about as coordinated as a three legged dog ^-^ be she tries hard so it will be interesting at least to watch lol
Hey now. I work at a kennel and have experience with 3 legged dogs and cats. One dog is named lucky, a cat named stumpy, and they are pretty good at hobbling around. They cant help it that others got a leg up on them in the mobility department and I stand by that point. ;)