• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Martial arts, MMA, traditional martial arts etc for fitness, health and self defense.

from Wiki about Krav Maga

" It was derived from street-fighting skills developed by Slovak-Israeli martial artist Imi Lichtenfeld, who made use of his training as a boxer and wrestler, as a means of defending the Jewish quarter against fascist groups in Bratislava[2] in the mid-to-late 1930s. In the late 1940s"

I am searching for practial martial art,I am slovak and I live in Bratislava!! I think I just set on this this,thanks!! :D

Excellent! I hope you really enjoy it! Keep us updated on your progress.

Myself, I am currently a green belt training for blue belt.

A smaller guy would probably benefit more from Judo, whereas a bigger guy from greco roman, being that Judo, like bjj, is largely based on technique over strength.

This is one of the reasons I would like to get into Judo myself.

I imagine most people do it for both fun and self defense.

As for wrestling vs bjj. As far as I'm aware the initial reasons behind the formation of bjj was to create a grappling style martial art for smaller, less physically built individuals based on applying technique to beat a stronger opponent. Thing is, that was then. Now people combine strength with their bjj (some of the guys at my gym are in the back deadlifting ridiculous amounts before training, for example) so a smaller guy might be at a slight disadvantage fighting a bigger guy of equal rank. If you're looking to be able to learn solid takedowns I guess it all depends on your physical size. A smaller guy would probably benefit more from Judo, whereas a bigger guy from greco roman, being that Judo, like bjj, is largely based on technique over strength.

True that about Judo and BJJ. I've always wondered why they call in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and not Brazilian Judo since the Gracies basically took the ground game of Judo and concentrated on that aspect of it.

Anybody here know anything about eskrima or Filipino knife and stick fighting?

My school used to have a weekly eskrima class, that's about all I know. I have a co-worker who is highly trained in eskrima though.

We recently added a new kickboxing instructor to our school and he is really good. I'm talking really good (no, I dont train at AKA btw). He had a 2 hr kickboxing seminar last weekend which I attended and have now sparred with him twice. I'm really glad he is a nice guy and a great teacher. lol

Krav maga and muay thai. definitely helped me lose a bit of weight :) I stopped but will go on muay thai again this coming summer.. Boo yah!

Attended the second kickboxing seminar at my school this weekend. Worked on foot movement in conjunction with throwing straight, cross, hooks & jabs and then did a little light sparring, very beneficial! I think this is why my upper arms and shoulders are sore this morning.

Inosanto has a school in the Philippines. Are you looking for just general Eskrima or some of the Balisong stuff? They are two different arts, which is why I ask.

We recently added a new kickboxing instructor to our school and he is really good. I'm talking really good (no, I dont train at AKA btw). He had a 2 hr kickboxing seminar last weekend which I attended and have now sparred with him twice. I'm really glad he is a nice guy and a great teacher. lol
Nice dude Turcan is a fucking beast. Relentless combos.

As the screen name implies ,i agree with martial arts training .

Beats being drunk .

I'm a little indecisive if I want to take my next belt test in December.

I wrestled in high school made it to states, but I have been training in Aikido and Jeet Kune Do since I was 8, and I started to box when i was in my early teens (14). I still train in Aikido and JKD on a regular basis ( 2-3 times a week) and even keep this training up during my time in the Army. I also shoot on a regular have since I was young, my father started me off at the range before he ever let me hunt; so I have a nice well rounded skill set in self defense both armed and unarmed.

^ Are you still active duty? I ask because the Army has an mma program now (in Ft Benning I believe) which would probably be cool with your already attained skill set.

No, I have been out for 3 years now. But they have been teaching a hybrid hand to hand style for a long time now, I got a bit more training in hand to hand when I began Ranger training. But it is nice to see them step up the training for the average Infantrymen, the new focus on urban combat has brought a lot of changes to AIT.

I really like that it is going on as well. I was Navy for 10 years so its something I would never have been exposed to unless I somehow got into SEAL training (lulz).

HAHA yeah come to think about it not alot of people would be exposed to CQB training and unarmed combat unless they were in the service. What where you in the navy? I was in the 75th Ranger reg. BTW what would be your 2 books you would recommend people interested in martial arts read? for me I would say - Miyamoto musashi's book of five rings and Marcus Aurelius meditations.