• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Marijuana withdrawal & nightmares?

My boyfriend has been a chronic smoker for almost 20 years. Every once in a while he'll detox for a couple of weeks or a month, and the withdrawal is always unpleasant. The major symtoms are nausea, insomnia, sexual dysfunction, moodiness and depression. It makes me wish he'd stop smoking weed for good, or at least limit it to weekends. I personally don't see the difference between being addicted to pot and being addicted to any other substance. IMHO, when there's withdrawal involved it's time to reassess one's pattern of use.

Ego Death said:
I also get nightmare, anxiety ridden dreams after I stop smoking. While I am a daily smoker I either don't dream or have absolutely no memory of my dreams. A couple of days after not smoking the dreams come back and are usually nightmarish, like people breaking into my apartment robbing me, or weird government agents coming after me. If I continue not to smoke the dreams will start to shift from nightmares to regular dreams.

That is interesting because I get these kind of unpleasant dreams too when i stop weed. Either that or fighting myself and being chased down and hunted upon. I always lose and wake up just as I am about to be mauled or something really nasty.

Anyway, I have found a way to work with it. In the morning, I take piracetam and hydergine. This really helps me to get through the day due to clarity of thought and focus on the task at hand. It also helps elevate my mood.

At night, I go to bed at roughly the same time, and take melatonin before nodding off. Without it, I would be lying in bed in a pool of sweat the whole night - no thanks! At least I can sleep now.. even though i wake up from these dreams, I take a few deep breaths and settle down after that.

These days i enjoy taking a break once in a while (a week every month or so). It brings my tolerance right back down to noob levels, which means next time I have a cone, I get really blazed! =D

The other plus side with taking piracetam I find is that i no longer have any cravings for cigarettes and alcohol.. they disgust me! :p

Hello all, I am new here and you people seem pretty cool so I wondered if you might have an opinion on my issues, and if you care to reply.

I seem to be in a spot. After 27 years of cannabis abuse I have stopped. I stopped 7 weeks ago.

I am having serious sweats still at night time though, even after 7 weeks. How long do I have to put up with this for? The dreaming I have become used to again, and yes, at first I was somewhat freaked.

As you might guess the lack of sleep makes each day's experience fractured.

I know this can be usual for a previous heavy user, but can anybody share their experience if comparable please?

Thanks for your time and I look forward to reading your thoughts .

marijuana is a real cunt of a drug. it grabs by the throat and will not let go. like a fuking weed. i've experienced numerous periods over the last 4 years of 'insomnia'. i've been to the doctor about it and even the prescription drugs did not really help. there is no doubt in my mind that the core problem of the insomnia was from marijuana. 7 weeks is a good achievement in any past addicts opinion. i hope you are still going strong. exercise, find other things to do, get healthy, take up drinking(what i did) which might not be the most healthy hobby, but hey, it's better that smoking pot. just wait till the weekend and get really blind. you can do it and i must say 27 years is well past due date to quit pot buddy. your sleep will eventually go normal, it might take a while but it's worth it isn't it. as positive as i like to be, and as optimistic about situations that i try to be, there is no doubt in my mind, that my life would be better today, if i didn't get into pot.
peace

^^^^

worst advice ever! to swap alcohol for pot. I mean each to his own, but alcohol is far worse than cannabis.

if I had to offer any advice regarding pot i'd say don't mix it with tobacco - that is a recipe for disaster (speaking from experience).

I've just gone a week and a half without smoking and i've actually enjoyed it immensely. first couple of days were shite but after that i've been able to smile and laugh again.

last year I had the same sweats and anxiety from giving up (as strawdogg), but this time so far so good.

anyway i'm just about to use the vaporiser...

Great thread; I've always believed that pot can cause a lot of harm and have nasty withdrawal symptoms, but I always thought these were primarily psychological. Never heard of strong physical symptoms like this until now. I get the night-time sweats, just never connected the sweating with pot, but now that I look back on it every time I get one of those it's a day when I haven't been toking.

I also feel really depressed, anxious, and bored when I quit; those were problems for me before I even started smoking though, and weed completely medicates all three, so when I quit they all come back at me like a ton of bricks.

merrygoround said:
i hope you are still going strong. exercise, find other things to do, get healthy, take up drinking(what i did) which might not be the most healthy hobby, but hey, it's better that smoking pot. just wait till the weekend and get really blind. you can do it and i must say 27 years is well past due date to quit pot buddy.

I have to say that quitting pot for alcohol is some of the worst advice ive ever seen. You think alcohol helps with sleep cycles, think again. If youre looking to clear problems up, abstaining from everything is the best option. And i wasnt aware there was some sort of rule book to when you had to quit certain drugs and move onto more lethal ones...

You are right about exercise and activities though. But diet plays a key role, take a long hard look at it and no doubt it cant be that great. Its really hard to find anyone taht has a solid diet in this day and age, simply because you have to go out of your way to get it!

oh my god oh my god. im not alone.
whenever i run out of weed i have the most intense, psychotic fucked uo nightmares ever and frankely they scare the shit out of me. i dont dig it. they also happen if i take antihistamines. now if i take antihisties, and have no weed, its a straight recipes for being torn to peices by angry gods all night
fuck

man I had bad withdrawal effects and always was nervous...buuuuuuuT! it was because smoking gave me sinusitis, therefore I used to drank a Claritind D with pseudoephedrine as descongestonant, that after doing a little research for a pill that I was taking everyday I discovered that it was the medicine or pill that gave the withdrawals.....then i stoped smoking, the sinusitis improved, and stopped taking the claritin and the nervousness, insomnia, and what ever went away..!

vaporizing in a Digital Air Vapir One ...comments?

vape doesnt give you the full efffects ganja has to offer

It's 3am and I'm having another sleepless night after stopping smoking. I was interested in why I'm having the dreams I'm having every night and why by days are filled with headaches and body pains. Finding this thread and reading some of the responces has made me increedibly emotional to he point I started crying. I've waste so many good years of my life smoking far too often an I hope I never digress into my old lifestyle again. It's only been 2 weeks since I smoked last but I feel like it's been an eternty and each day I eat less and sleep less. Perhaps these symptoms aren't as severe as the worst drug withdrawals but I've never felt so torn in my entire life. Each day I hurt a little more but I feel a clarity that is slowly overcoming me. I'm in tears wrting this right now and all I can do is urge people to not let any drug consume your life no matter how harmless people say it is. Live every day of your life to the fullest because there is no way one can get the years of wasted time of their life back. Weed does not bring a transendental state, it does not bring sharpened senses or omnicient thinking. It's made me dull and plain, tired and unproductive and I can only hope I make up for the lost time now before it's too late.
Peace and love.

sorry abuot venting like that, that was a terrible night. my post was a little incoherent as i was writing from an iphone with the worst migraine of my life :(

problems after marijuana

I too recently stopped smoking about 2 grams per day for the past 3 yrs about 5 days ago along with quitting OC's about 2 1/2 months ago. my dreams have been so vivid and during the day i feel anxious and almost have panic attacks, lethargic and irritated at times....i've read this is normal but i would have thought not smoking would make me feel more energetic but so far it hasnt, is this normal and how long does it last? any input would be greatly appreciated

I've never really had what would be called a "withdrawl" from quitting smoking pot.

I'm not saying that it doesn't happen to people at all but it just didn't happen to me.

For me when I quit smoking I just would get the intense urge to smoke herb and I didn't and for the oral fixation I just chewed lots of gum until my jaw was sore daily.

I've never taken MDMA so I'm not sure what that's like or how it would help?

every time I smoke, i have the most intense-vivid dreams the following nights.

i once had a dream that i was dreaming in a dream that i was dreaming in a dream. When i finally woke up - i didnt know if it was real or not; I just sat on my bed paranoid and confused. :(

Dreams just come with a part of not smoking i think...

Interesting thread as I too had this experience with dreams after I quit smoking, however didn't last long about a week after I quit. As mentioned in previous pages I too had been mixing tobacco into my mj, this I am convinced caused my bad anxiety and bad withdrawl while quitting. Smoked for 10+ years over 7 grams a day, everyday.....never remembered dreaming in all this time. My theory for this is smoking 1 gram before bed in combination with 1ltr of milk just before bed, everyday routine = Too stoned too remember dreaming/knocked out cold.

I too was told by my doctor that i could of not been addicted to mj as mj was not a drug but a poison :\

every time I smoke, i have the most intense-vivid dreams the following nights.

i once had a dream that i was dreaming in a dream that i was dreaming in a dream. When i finally woke up - i didnt know if it was real or not; I just sat on my bed paranoid and confused. :(

Dreams just come with a part of not smoking i think...

Never heard anyone to dream like this before, sounds like an out of body experience :|

WOW......everytime ?

Nah, I won't mess with benzos... the whole point of this is to detox for a bit. Clean out my system. Start fresh. I've been taking melatonin to help with sleep, and that seems to help some... and the dreams are getting less troubling. Thanks again for the advice and feedback, all.

Yeah I did exactly what you did, just because of anxiety problems related to weed. The first week of no weed for me was terrible, I had panic attacks every single day. :!:p:!

Any kind of drug withdrawal causes nightmares and such, it has something to do with your thought pattern and how you think differently while smoking weed and stoned, while your asleep you don't get the usual thc driven thoughts that you would when you smoked weed, this disturbs the thought pattern your brain is used to and thats why you're getting your nightmares. =]

I used to not think much of withdrawal from herb, or really even believe that it existed, until today. I've experienced some of the worst withdrawals the world of drugs has to offer-- heroin more times than I care to remember and worst of all: methadone. I've been clean from opiates and all other drugs for about 3 years now but continue smoking herb. I've tried quitting pot many times unsuccessfully, though there have also been times that I naturally drift away from it , but when I TRY to stop I can't, despite having quit everything else including cigarettes and alcohol. I think this has had a lot to do with my view on it as pretty much "not bad" and benign and thus my quitting attempts were never as hardcore, though I've felt that I might be more productive and maybe a little happier if I quit. I've been through opiate withdrawal so many times that the thought of pot withdrawal seemed totally laughable.

Well, today would have been my second day without any, as I ran out of what seemed like an endless supply, and I foresaw a natural drift away from pot again with pretty much indifference, which in past has been a precursor to a state of not smoking. However, last night I had the most vivid fucked up dreams and woke up feeling very affected and irritable. When I got to my office and started working on my computer the internet was a little slow and I felt like I was gonna scream and throw my cell phone against the wall or something, instead I smashed my fist on the desk real hard, which is stupid and totally out of character for me. Not to mention I had a headache, sweaty palms, a and pit of dread in my stomach and just a general feeling of being pissed and that things aren't O.K.. I got onto thinking that it might be from no pot so I looked up withdrawal symptoms online and found this forum which hit the nail on what I was feeling too. I've probably been through cannabis withdrawal before but just never realized it or attributed the symptoms to something else. Today I found some shwag in a deep dark corner of my house and decided to light up, as I wasn't officially trying to stop, and I wanted to see if it would make the discomfort go away, and of coarse it did.

I don't want to be drug dependent. It's been a way too common a theme in my life. Though at the same time I can't find it in me to get that worked up and worried about being addicted to pot given the severity of my previous transgressions. However It's seeming like this might be a bigger monkey on my back than I thought and might take more effort than I realized to really stop for good. I think I'm just gonna take it easy and cut way down and hop off from a lower level to hamper the discomfort.

Best to all those struggling, and just keep in mind, although it is uncomfortable, It is a roll in a pillow factory (as someone posted previously) compared other drugs. Bad dreams? Opiate withdrawal = no sleep at all.

-Tris