• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Marijuana makes me feel anxious, depressed, etc... This used to not happen

I used to be an heavy smoker and psychedelic user. Over time I had a moment where I stopped almost completely. Through a variety of experiences I slowly started to remove myself from both the people and the drugs themselves. During so was a slight growing up moment in my mind which put a negative mindset on even basic usage. Ultimately this makes it to where when I do smoke I judge the fact that I went back to something I thought I've grown out of which has a negative impact on a perceptive mentality that your no longer akin to. Think about it as a double negative, and at times, yes, hard to control. However, if I catch myself in the right moment of not giving a fuck then I enjoy myself without any depressive side effects. Ease of mind, lack of need to control. So literally you play mind games with yourself. I like to tell myself that because I don't do this much anymore that it's not a negative thing. But the truth is my subconscious plays a role that I almost can't control and usually says that I just made a boo boo your older now, look at the losers still thinking that it's cool, blah blah. You really go into a mentality that you forget about and makes you uncomfortable. Realizing that you miss it but it shouldn't be there. So to put in plainly... Your just playing a game that you already know how to win to but are unwilling to admit to because it scares you. That it opens your perception, and also can block it. So use wisely. And willingly. Not just because. Because if you've hit this point, then it's a tool now, and not a teacher.

Weed turned on me also... with a full betrayal after a decade of abusing it. The long term effects were horrific and I regret not stopping much earlier in my life. There were many warning signs I chose not to pay attention to as I desired to be a pothead.
Exactly the same for me.

I gave up 'full time' weed smoking for around 7 years and then recently became a full timer again. Although this time, as soon as any warning signs appear, I'll stop immediately.

It turned on me at like age 22. My subconscious would just eat me alive every time I got ripped. Plenty of people get addicted to the paranoia high, yup.

Let me guess you took a break and when coming back it was just too much? Tough it out three days and you will be right back if you want. I thought I had moved on but it is now my most enjoyable night time routine. Going to puff some flowers

Yeah man, took almost two years off. 20-22. Came back to it, and it's like a 20 minute introspective acid trip now. When smoking some dank makes your voice stutter, you know your fucked :)
Let's say I use it two hours before bed, if I led a productive, exhausting day...I can get away with getting ripped and feel only a 1/4 of the negative side-effects,looping thoughts,paranoia,etc*
Once I start getting ripped 3-4 times a day, it just gets worse and worse.

And this is like with only 0.5g of high grade a day MAX. People smoking shatter and shit will be facing some DARK nights, if they plan on cold turkey quitting after months/years of daily repeated dosing

Last edited:
it gives me anxiety too, and it seems to be way worse when im on opiods, i wonder why this is

So, Marijuana seems to make me very anxious and depressed for some reason now. It gives me a flat mood, makes me not want to talk, makes me more tired and lazy than it did before. It increases my heart rate to the point of where my heart beats against my chest. When I used to lay down, I'd feel like I was falling. It felt amazing. Now, it makes me feel nauseous and increases my heart rate even more. I still definitely get munchies and might laugh a little bit, but 20 minutes after smoking it just makes me feel horrible. Isn't it supposed to get rid of depression and anxiety? It makes me think to deeply about situations that make like that. It makes me think about past things that I do NOT like to think about. Other psychedelics and such don't do this to me. Marijuana helps me with loss of appetite/weight loss, insomnia and narcolepsy, nystagmus, twitching, etc... This is good, but as stated above, it makes me feel kinda bad now. It's mostly the anxiety, depression, the negative thoughts, and especially the social anxiety that affects me though. Most people seem to get kinda energetic and have a much easier time talking when they're using. I sure don't though... Why has it lost its touch? I want to be able to enjoy on occasion again.

It's a mental blockade Mary Jane gets jealous. If you took a break. She'll fuck with you for a while, make you see things clearly acknowledge your issues as to make you aware of what she's really all about. You'll think of all your shortcomings and what not. It happened to swim. 3 years I neglected her do to another narcotic adiction. Came back to her, she was pissed. But for those who know they love MARY and see through her temporary rath will be rewarded. Took me about 2 months to get over myself and sit back and say fuck it all. And Mary in turn gave me back the key to real happiness.

I'm really prone to pot-induced anxiety. I know this sounds weird, but the anxiety is attractive to me. I naturally seek out challenges, and to me, conquering the anxiety is an interesting challenge.

I secretly suspect that the relaxing, anxiolytic effects that many people get from smoking are a psychological compensation for an effect that is initially anxiogenic. In other words, the paranoia and relaxation are two sides to the same coin.

If pot simply made you feel great, with no strings attached, it would probably be a dangerous and highly addictive drug, on the level of opiates and benzodiazepines. The very fact that it can have an unsettling effect is what sets it apart from those drugs, and makes it so much healthier.

If you want to enjoy it again, keep using it (in reasonable quantities), and make an effort to work through the anxiety. Recognize and appreciate the benefit of being allowed to confront your fears head-on, rather than trying to run away from them.

For me, weed changed its character after I started doing psychedelics. It was no longer about laughing, eating, sleeping and other innocent stoner things. It was as if my brain being exposed to psychedelics paved the way for weed to introduce itself to me in an entirely different way. It's now impossible for me to use it without it taking on the nature of a trip. I have to prepare for it like a trip each time. I must think about set and setting, I must be conscious that my mind will end up in darker places and I have to know how I am effectively distracted. Weed showed itself as a psychiatric tool that can help one build a better character and be a more positive influence on society, but, and like any other "teacher" in this regard, it's going to involve a lot of painful introspection.

Exactly this. I never really enjoyed, appreciated, or sought out weed until I tried smoking it on psychedelics. Ever since then, it became apparent to me that weed is another psychedelic, just one that acts on different receptor sites. Perhaps the best way to open up to the positive effects of marijuana is to smoke it on a dose of LSD.

Last edited:
It could be other stuff going on in your life, or you could be thinking about the drug differently and thus experiencing it differently. I notice that weed effects me differently at times.

Same here. I smoked hard through the mid-to-late teen years, then around 19 or 20, it just made me SO self-conscious. I would be absolutely frozen with it. I could not function in public, and in private, it made me go down a LSD-like rabbit hole of incredibly intense negative self-reflection. I could not stand to be in my own head. So I quit for like eight or ten years. Then, very slowly, I started experimenting again. I smoke every now and then these days, usually at home, at night, after a full and productive day. A $20 sack lasts me three or four weeks. What has happened now in my later years is that the weed has become, not the giggly Cheech & Chong-type early days feelings, but a more mature self-realization. I still feel the intense self-reflection, but now it happens in a way that is ultimately positive. It allows me to see how I have been acting from an almost...outside perspective. Perhaps like someone else might see me. I begin to see myself from other peoples' point of view in a way. I have found this to be helpful, therapeutic, and insightful in a positive way. It's not always the most pleasant, but facing your faults and/or fears never is. Once I am able to face these introspective realizations in a more instructive way, I am able to relax and just enjoy the body buzz and the intensified concentration. Late night Adult Swim viewing sessions become epic! Often times, it will even make me feel motivated to get up and just do.....something. I have broken out the cleaning supplies and cleaned the kitchen, or bathroom, for example, or gone on a bike ride. Anyway, I find it to be a MUCH different experience now than when I was younger, which begs the question: Did the weed change, or did I change? Obviously, both. But being more mature and grown and being able to face my own detestable behavior is quit useful in the spirit of improvement. I advise a long break. When you feel you are ready, start small. For the longest time, I would take one small hit off a pipe or joint. That's it. One hit. And I got BAKED! If you want a tiny dose, inhale a lot of extra air from around your smoking device to dilute your toke. Now, I still only toke a couple of hits, and I'm right where I want to be. Don't be afraid of yourself. If the introspection is too intense, take a break. Smoke less. Then see where that gets you. Oh...and as you hopefully already know and realize, it's certainly not about fitting into the crowd and feeling like you need to smoke to be accepted and get along. It's your thing....listen to your body and don't over do it. Sorry for the book-length reply....! ;)

Same happened to me! I read your comment but not the others! all i can say really is try find a weed strain thats High in CBD! i used to love getting high i could take 10 bongs and be fine! then then the anxiety the worry of freaking out similar exact feelings as you depression etc so i stopped it for ages! Now i smoke sometimes but i find hash (solid is better for me) but still get paranoyed sometimes and with weed and dabs all the time! be good if this could just go away! i think iyl read some comments people have left now lol and see what they say!

Cheers..

yea i read some comments some good helpfull comments here! im surprised no 1 recomended the CBD thing! but the thing about facing it head on can be very true! but in the other hand if im smoking at my friends then i start to have a panic attack so i try and fight it (flight or fight) and alot of the time iv just said listen mate i need to shoot along the house! so basically frekaed out! tryed to face the fears but failed! i have had issiues with family members dying could this be a factor? anybody similar experience?

lost my dad a few years ago1 that really the only 1 worth mentioning others are like my grandad like at 12! but my dad could this be effecting me evan tho im not thinking about this at the time? or maybe just the benzos? using them to 'feel more calm' when getting high?

If you abuse it like me then you get this. I recommend taking a break until youre really excited and want to do it, then hte magic comes back lol

Yep.

After 10+ years of smoking regularly I've reached a point where marijuana and me aren't rubbing along so great anymore. As somebody else mentioned earlier, I have to expect a trip or panic attack now. I'm reluctant to stop smoking though (I typically only smoke a few times a month anyway) but I think having a little break is probably worthwhile and then re introducing it.

Loads of people end up quitting it at some point and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. If it's no longer benefiting you and the cons are outweighing the benefits, after a break, then what's the point in continuous use?

Im an old schooler. Started smoking in the 70s. Weed changed somewhere back in the late 90s i think it was. We surmised that producers were growing hydroponically inside the metro areas instead of importing it. The potency went up and the price skyrocketed. Skunk weed was everywhere, and after awhile it was prevalent. Then i think genetic manipulation slowly messed with the chemical mix. I mean, look at how many chemicals are in marijuana. Wouldnt take much to throw the mix out of its natural balance. We used to love the act of smoking joints, but it got to where you couldnt smoke a whole joint and enjoy it without gettin all ripped and feeling like a dysfunctional garden nome trying to hide behind the hydrangia bush hoping nobody finds you there til the stuff wore off. I think i might actually get a bag of dirtweed and sprinkle in the heavy duty stuff just to see how it would work. You know, in europe, they mix some in with tobacco instead of smoking it straight up. That might help too. But yeah. It changed along the line and so do peoples brain after long term use of the new world bud.

Weed is like that for me too. The thing is, I have been in love with marijuana for almost fifteen years now. I know that it affects my personality in kind of a bad way. I am much more withdrawn, much more introverted. Everything about me, including my hobbies change. Not to say I don't ever make time to do productive things, because I do and feel that I achieve a lot. But there is always that thought...What could I achieve if I did not smoke every single day? How many more people would I interact with or touch? How could that change my life? Is it worth it?

I am working towards making weed less of a necessity to my life, but it's hard. After managing to kick every other nasty drug habit, the weed remains the same. I don't think of it in the same way I would other drugs. It has so many positive benefits for me and holds a dear place in my heart. But to say that there are no negative effects would be lying. Finding that balance is what life is all about.

I've blazed all day everyday from the age of 15. After MANY years its started to catch up with me. Don't know what the cure is other than smoke less and get mids instead of dank.

When I first started smoking weed, I did it exclusively with friends so it was associated with fun and laughter. Eventually when I got my own stuff and equipment, my frequency of use gradually rose from 2,3 times a week to eventually every day and over the course of years I saw mental deterioration. Your general mind state is a big part of the kind of experience you'll have in that if you're going through a bout of depression. MJ can take you deeper into it where you enter that introspective space and issues are put in the forefront to be worked on or out. I think if you're not working your issues out then it can potentially be negative based on your perspective. I still believe it has more to do with when and how often you use it. Lots of people in this thread have articulated it better than myself but getting ripped all day long ended up being an avoidance tool for myself. I didn't deal with my issues and smoked weed to compensate but weed eventually smacked me in the face with them in making me confront them. I chose to take this as a wake up call and I took a break from weed for a while. I remain confident that weed itself wasn't the cause because I avoided dealing with personal things in the past until I couldn't. Weed simply highlighted things to the point where I had a clear headed moment of needing to change to become a happier person. I'm still a fan of it but my use dropped down significantly to be more situational like it used to be rather than a habit.