• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Marijuana makes me feel anxious, depressed, etc... This used to not happen

Soul Garden

Bluelighter
So, Marijuana seems to make me very anxious and depressed for some reason now. It gives me a flat mood, makes me not want to talk, makes me more tired and lazy than it did before. It increases my heart rate to the point of where my heart beats against my chest. When I used to lay down, I'd feel like I was falling. It felt amazing. Now, it makes me feel nauseous and increases my heart rate even more. I still definitely get munchies and might laugh a little bit, but 20 minutes after smoking it just makes me feel horrible. Isn't it supposed to get rid of depression and anxiety? It makes me think to deeply about situations that make like that. It makes me think about past things that I do NOT like to think about. Other psychedelics and such don't do this to me. Marijuana helps me with loss of appetite/weight loss, insomnia and narcolepsy, nystagmus, twitching, etc... This is good, but as stated above, it makes me feel kinda bad now. It's mostly the anxiety, depression, the negative thoughts, and especially the social anxiety that affects me though. Most people seem to get kinda energetic and have a much easier time talking when they're using. I sure don't though... Why has it lost its touch? I want to be able to enjoy on occasion again.

So, Marijuana seems to make me very anxious and depressed for some reason now. It gives me a flat mood, makes me not want to talk, makes me more tired and lazy than it did before. It increases my heart rate to the point of where my heart beats against my chest. When I used to lay down, I'd feel like I was falling. It felt amazing. Now, it makes me feel nauseous and increases my heart rate even more. I still definitely get munchies and might laugh a little bit, but 20 minutes after smoking it just makes me feel horrible. Isn't it supposed to get rid of depression and anxiety? It makes me think to deeply about situations that make like that. It makes me think about past things that I do NOT like to think about. Other psychedelics and such don't do this to me. Marijuana helps me with loss of appetite/weight loss, insomnia and narcolepsy, nystagmus, twitching, etc... This is good, but as stated above, it makes me feel kinda bad now. It's mostly the anxiety, depression, the negative thoughts, and especially the social anxiety that affects me though. Most people seem to get kinda energetic and have a much easier time talking when they're using. I sure don't though... Why has it lost its touch? I want to be able to enjoy on occasion again.

Oddly this exact situation happened to me with weed, especially introspective part which I really do not like as I've been through some really horrible things and have PTSD and weed now really brings it out. For me I tried going from weed to shatter to budder to pure THC and eventually to THC-O-Acetate (all cooked by me, I do have a green card but I don't really use it anymore). None of this worked, although I did kind as I raised the level of THC the effects becomes worse for me. My suggestion would be to switch strains or maybe find something high in CBD (I'm not sure if that's which cannnibinoid promotes anti-anxiety properties) or just not smoke weed anymore easy as that.

I'm not sure why this shit happens, but it does.

To the uneducated like myself, it's as if weed just "loses it's magic" for some people. Though you didn't ask for it, best advice I could give is to take a moderate-to-long-term break from the stuff and then give it another go after several months.

Sometimes people just overdo it, man, and what might be an excessive habit for one person could be absolutely manageable for another. You just have to be aware of how your drug use effects you, ya know?

"real weed" does this to me too. Fortunately I have found the answer. _It's called 5F-AKB48 and it is absolutely my favourite among the current batch of synthetics. AM-2201 and real skunk just give me panic attacks these days. but thus far AKB48 has been free of negative side effects. Hopefully it will not be banned just yet.

this has happened to me as well. I took a 5 week break and decided to try it again. I enjoyed it somewhat for a few days but then after puff'n 2 days in a row I got similar feelings that I was having before. Imo, I think the best thing to do is just take a break. It might be difficult but it will help in the long run. I used to love puff'n but it does more harm than help these days. I am not sure why this happens but I have some educated guesses. Could be from using for a while. I used to puff a lot, almost everyday and it was high quality flower. It was helping me sleep at night and wake up in the am ready to work but not anymore. There were also other things going on personally and that could do it it. We may never know but if you decide to stop stay strong and you should be doing better after a week or 2 (or 3)

This I think may be an example of a drug turning on people. I feal that it is especially common for this to happen to allot of people around age thirty (give or take five years or so). I would cut back your use to a few times a week and see if this doesn't help the problem. I would also try indicas as opposed to sativas or high breads that contain allot of sativa.

You may also need to eventually change how and why you smoke, possibly reclassifying it as something you engage in once a month and be more particular to setting and company when you smoke. Treat it more like a trip if need be.

I would also consider taking your dose size down.. try one hit.. give it time to kick in and then go from there.

Hope any of this helps out.

I decided to stop smoking weed permanently because it started to induce symptoms exactly like the ones you described. It the beginning, it relieved depression and anxiety.

In my experience, taking a break only made it worse. I never tried this, but a low dose of a benzo would probably help. I used to use alcohol, but the amount that I had to drink dulled all of the "psychedelic" and positive effects.

For me, weed changed its character after I started doing psychedelics. It was no longer about laughing, eating, sleeping and other innocent stoner things. It was as if my brain being exposed to psychedelics paved the way for weed to introduce itself to me in an entirely different way. It's now impossible for me to use it without it taking on the nature of a trip. I have to prepare for it like a trip each time. I must think about set and setting, I must be conscious that my mind will end up in darker places and I have to know how I am effectively distracted. Weed showed itself as a psychiatric tool that can help one build a better character and be a more positive influence on society, but, and like any other "teacher" in this regard, it's going to involve a lot of painful introspection.

Last edited:
I smoke only once or twice a week because of substance abuse classes(I'm going not for abuse of substances, but for being caught smoking a bowl...). I just finished those classes yesterday though, so I may smoke 3-4 times a week. Every 2 days or so. I smoked last night and laughed quite a bit after smoking someones home grown stuff. Still, I didn't talk, felt anxious to talk, I notice my voice gets higher(no pun intended) and boring sounding when I smoke. While I was laughing I was being laughed at, which makes me feel very anxious and uncomfortable. I have a bad history with being laughed at my whole life and having a huge lack of friends, only having 2-3 real friends as of now. Which, I'm damn lucky to have even that many... Seems like a lot of the time when I smoke with people I never talk, which too them, makes me an easy target to make fun of while high. It REALLY makes me anxious and depressed. And it's ALWAYS me. I kinda expect for it to happen it's so often... Then I notice once that anxiety and depression gets in, I turn into a twitchathon, which you could imagine makes it a hell of a lot worse. I twitch so much. Marijuana is the exact opposite of what it used to be. It's not a psychedelic anymore, it's a complete downer... So I have a question? I have a little bit of amphetamines I found that don't belong to anyone I know of. 3 Adderall 30's. Will that help to ease the anxiety and depression? I find that when I take speed(Maybe once every couple of months), I can complete sentences better, focus, talk, etc... Will this help? Also, I'm doing shrooms soon. I have experience with 3rd and 4th plateau doses of DXM. I know they're completely different, but I'm just saying that the intensity of some of my previous DXM trips will have me ready. Question is, will shrooms mimick the effects I get from Marijuana? As in the negative effects? I hear it's a great for anxiety, PTSD, Bipolar, depression, etc... I do have somewhat of a bad case of C-PTSD, which is probably why Marijuana makes me the way it does... Will shrooms make me happier and more positive? I plan on doing them for a creative experience and spiritual journey. I am going to do them once I have a positive state of mind and am in a good setting. I am most likely doing maybe a level 3 trip(2.5grams of psilocybe cubensis) alone. My DXM trips have ALL been alone. EVERY ONE. I never had any bad trips with DXM. Then again, DXM numbs your mood at the higher plateaus.

DOUBLE CHECKED THE PILLS! They are 8mg buprenorphine/2mg naxalone each! I just read a report on erowid where a dude snorted 2mg of buprenorphine, obtaining very desirable effects. I'm not an opiate kind of guy but I think I'll try this once to experiment. I'm going to make a different thread for this.

The latter, probably only because my tolerance was reduced.

Ok, whew!

Yeah, the latter is fairly normal for heavy users/abusers to eventually go through. It was the possibility of the former that had me a little worried for you, though.

Yeah this has happened to me after partying too hard on 6-APB/MDMA and psychedelics in the summer months... I'd smoke a tiny bit of weed and just get paranoid about my family coming over unexpectedly, neighbours telling other people about what I was doing, etc. In my experience sativas were definitely worse for this than indica. Smoking alone at home was worse than with friends. Smoking too much also made it worse. Now I get good enjoyment out of smoking rather tiny amounts (less than 0.1g at a time). It can also help to switch to making edibles instead of smoking. The edible high still gives me a magical feeling euphoria and is generally much more pleasant than the smoked high!

It has obviously been a while since you wrote this, but I have noticed similar experiences myself. It is good to know that I am not alone in this struggle. I only started smoking again a few months back but it has led me to a similar state of anxiety where I just cannot "get right." Years ago I smoked pretty regularly and gave it up because I didn't want it to become a "lifestyle" choice. There are somethings that I love about the high, mainly that it allows me to open my perspective of the world,but the problem is that it has recently put me into darker and more negative "what if's" which I don't care to explore.

I think that I have been more anxious and perhaps pessimistic on a daily basis, which doesn't greatly affect my daily life, but when I smoke it goes into overdrive and I start to freak. I have decided that smoking is not worth the trouble and it does not better my life as a whole so I am taking it off the table, so to speak. Anyway, thanks for the post and have a happy New Year.

It seems that marijuana starts losing its recreational potential for many people after a while. The thing is, marijuana always had negative effects for me (anxiety, panic attacks, mild paranoia, social phobia, lethargy, somnolence) from day 1 and yet I was a daily user for about 5 years. Eventually I became fed up with the way it was affecting my social life, so I completely gave it up for many, many months. Now I smoke once per day at night only, and I only smoke about one or two very small hits from a pipe. Micro-dosing with marijuana is the way to go. Most people smoke way too much weed... Smaller doses are much more enjoyable imho and have a much smaller dysphoria profile. Marijuana can be, or become, rather psychotomimetic for some people and if/when this happens, your usage should seriously be questioned and analyzed carefully.

Marijuana can be, or become, rather psychotomimetic for some people and if/when this happens, your usage should seriously be questioned and analyzed carefully.

I feel pretty confident in saying that if marijuana makes you psychotic or delirious, there's a good chance that marijuana's the catalyst-- not the cause-- to that psychological development.

Splitting hairs, I know, but it's important to me that that hair gets split.

I agree for the most part. With that being stated, the psychotomimetic effects can be rather subtle and insidious and are not restricted to full-blown psychosis/mania. I guess marijuana can potentially introduce you to this weird little spectrum of behavior that you never really existed on before. And maybe the potential to show up on this spectrum was always there--and maybe you were always there--and maybe not. It's interesting in a way.

Weed turned on me also... with a full betrayal after a decade of abusing it. The long term effects were horrific and I regret not stopping much earlier in my life. There were many warning signs I chose not to pay attention to as I desired to be a pothead.