• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

marijuana addiction - different?

im sorta blowing right into this thread with my 2cents. but 1stly its great u have good people round you, that should give u hell of a motivation etc.

2ndly most ppl under estimate weed for nothing, I have been smoking for almost 6 years, and for the past 3 basicaly every day.
And i find that its not really a physical withdrawl but more of a emotional. Like it fkd up my sleeping pattern, and outta habbit on certain times and days i crave it like a bitch. but after the 1st few weeks it gets better and better :)

I don't understand the "no physical withdrawal ergo not really addictive."

Take cigarettes, they are the "most addictive substance" (a lot of that is social acceptance, legality, and lack of immediate consequences from smoking of course) but people who quit them don't have the shakes or anything. They just have sleep issues, depression, moodiness, craving cigarettes, dreaming about cigarettes, irritability, overeating, pretty mild stuff really compared to other drugs, yet we all agree that they are addictive.

IMO weed is not very addictive but some people will develop a bit of a habit. It's hard to do this though, you basically have to maintain a nearly-constant "high" for at least a few weeks before you get even mild "withdrawal". Once you are addicted it's comparable to a cigarette addiction and the withdrawal symptoms and cravings are of similar intensity in my experience - by that time smoking weed almost is like cigarettes, it basically just makes you feel sort of content and relaxed.

i think its more of an emotional thing hey, like then again every body is reacts different. Some people have a strong addictive personality and on some levels, and others will smoke purely to get away from problems, there usualy the ones who find it harder. Realising u cnt get baked ne more and escape problems but have to face reality without the blurness of been stoned. u know what i mean

i think its more of an emotional thing hey, like then again every body is reacts different. Some people have a strong addictive personality and on some levels, and others will smoke purely to get away from problems, there usualy the ones who find it harder. Realising u cnt get baked ne more and escape problems but have to face reality without the blurness of been stoned. u know what i mean

Yeah it is mostly emotional, though so is cigarette addiction.

Physical symptoms are somewhat sensitive/upset stomach (I've never vomited but it could happen, crazy world), insomnia, and sweating, especially night sweating. But none of those are that bad, it's the emotional craving and depression that makes you want to smoke again.

One thing is to not smoke when you're unhappy. Smoke when you're already happy instead of using weed as an escape. Also don't smoke all day every day for long periods lol.

Yeah it is mostly emotional, though so is cigarette addiction.

Physical symptoms are somewhat sensitive/upset stomach (I've never vomited but it could happen, crazy world), insomnia, and sweating, especially night sweating. But none of those are that bad, it's the emotional craving and depression that makes you want to smoke again.

One thing is to not smoke when you're unhappy. Smoke when you're already happy instead of using weed as an escape. Also don't smoke all day every day for long periods lol.

I just signed up to comment in this thread. This is really good advice and its a conclusion ive come to also.

Im a late bloomer, started ~2yrs back, 20somthing professional and i smoke on 'weekends'.. Like i would consume alcohol. I try and only smoke in good situations - going out, going to the bush, listening to music (my vice!!), chilling with friends. Like anothr person has mentioned alot of the time the peopl i hang with dont know im stoned.... I dont have many stoner friends but i can understand how people get into habit of just kicking back or escaping and watching life go by. Its quite tempting, as i understand how that feeling u get can make u content and happy with mediocracy (no offense intended)...

Ive been through stages, smoked for weeks on end during holidays and gon for months without so i can understand both points of view... I prefer to keep things 'new' and try and limit my indulging... but i dont get good weed (no hookups, no friends 'in the scene' lol) and i find that once tolerance builds and takes all the fun out of it. Nothing like that feeling of chasing the dragon and that virgin buzzz... Which is what i assume we all want to recapture when we smoke!

I think the stuff i get is classified as brick. Mentally, id say im a fairly strong person but i am also aware of what strains and there different charactoristics effect you. Both physically and on the mind... Some strains, as soon as i toke, i get 'bad thoughts' or 'reoccouring thoughts'. its a struggle and i need to simply take my mind off the things wiht music and/or occupying it other ways. Just the way some strains make it feel like your rolling through the day without a care in the world.. Other side effects are short term memory (i have shit genetics in this deparment to start with) and headaches (but i feel this is more quality related)

I guess i feel its something that people should be aware of. As an educated person i like to know the ins and outs of things, an this is one of the things that legalitlies stop us discussing... There is alot more to harm minimisation then 'keeping hydrated' and 'knowing your limits'..

I am quite happy with where i am, i dont see myself quitting anytime soon. I feel that the doors in my mind and personality that a toke opens are are worth all the side effects that i feel. Oh and one last thing. Ive also toked for medicinal purposes after i got fed up with the way precription pills (slipped disc)
fucked with my body. Ive also 'precribed' it to my gf who used it while comming off anti-depressents - instant relief and alot better then. I feel its a terrible injustice that we dont have any medicinal laws my part of the world (down under) it works so fucken well.

Last edited:
that's the bitch of it. weed is such a reliable way to get yourself up to content, but being content makes you a lot less motivated to live a life that you're actually proud of/excited about.

marijuana addiction is kinda like a fog, whereas benzo/opiate/stimulant addiction is more like a monster. the monster is big and strong and fucks shit up, but at least you know what you're fighting and how to fight it. the fog is just kind of a nuisance, and if you squint and aren't too worried about going anywhere, it's easy to live with. but that also means you're going to go through life not seeing as much, not doing as much and not going as fast.

+1

well said

Its a door, and you don't necessarily have to open it, but you're going to say fuck it and open the door anyway.

I'm off tap btw.
I smoke up to get to sleep at nights, if i don't smoke up before I go to sleep, then I always feel uncomfortable and can't get to sleep until the morning. I smoke up before cooking dinner, thats always good.

I have never found weed to be addictive. I can stop anytime. Why? I've been smoking since i was 13.

In the sense it's habit forming, then it is addictive. I've been a daily smoker for 35 years (I know, it defies science). Am I addicted? Dunno, but it's one hell of a habit. But physically addictive...nope.

The only time I don't smoke is when I go on holiday, usually for a two week break. Do I feel any physical side effects? Naaa. Do I feel any mental side effects? Yeah, I'm a little more clear headed, and need a few beers at night. Apart from that, nothing.

The reason I'd like to give for being a regular smoker is for pain relief, and that is partially the case. But daft as this sounds, I mainly smoke to retain a grip of youth. I enjoy asking questions, and I find getting old (cleanly) has a way of making you think you have the answers. Bullshit. So every night, as I toke my way through my traditional 4 spliffs of AK47, I find myself in the same place I did when I was 17 and full of questions. The occasional flicker of real insight is the coolest thing ever.

Addicted? Naaa, just a bad, but enjoyable habit :)

I don't see weed as addictive like I do with my oxy addiction.

There have been plenty of times where I crave weed to the point that without my mood and disposition change. Not anymore than I crave a piece of steak or even candy or something. Am I disappointed if I don't get the steak, yes. Does that mean I'm addicted to steak, no.

As an oxy and even cigarette addict I can say that any cravings for weed I might have pale in comparison to what I view as addictive substances. When I periodically quit cigs or oxy there is a voice "the monkey" if you will. There is no weed monkey, LOL.

I know people that say they're weed addicts. I can't say they are wrong. I do know that none of them smoke or use hard drugs. I'm just saying addiction IMO is completely relative to ones own experience. Or maybe its just which ever monkey is heaviest.

Opiate addiction is a whole different ball game, with the weed you'll be a bit grouchy and have trouble sleeping (ONOOOES) but the whole physical side of opiates can be a real hell i've heard..

Although I found it a lot easier to stop taking E's and speed every other day, compared to stopping daily toking. Just because if you smoke in the evening, you fine the next day unlike e's & speed =/

I know marijuana addiction is possible because I have experienced it first hand. It's usually a symptom of an underlying psychological problem or a transitional faze that one is going through. For me it was much more addictive than cigarettes or many more serious drugs than I have done. Maybe that's because I started smoking pot at a younger age or because I did more pot than anything else I don't know.

What I do know is that if you find yourself feeling addicted to marijuana, you need to find what's causing those feelings. More than likely it's related to problems with school, work, relationships, etc, that make you feel the need to use cannabis. Excercise, sunlight, and non-stoner friends will make you want to smoke less as well.

ive abused x, addies, air duster, xanx, k2, and weed,and weed is the hardest one to quit hands down. never got physically addictdd to it like i did to xanax, but the monkey on my back is weed

Salutations,

I'd suggest a few brave cannabis "addicts" should go through a Straight Inc. like program, a thousand persons would suffice to compile some data relatively to the similarities and differences, compared to addictive substances such as coffee, chocolate... up to alcohol/tobacco... including heroïn/opium, not to mention synthetic super-drugs as i'll bet there are quite a few i never heard of. That would help save the children of this miserable planet i guess.

Ah, and i almost forgot addiction to hate.

Good day, have fun! =D

Bro Remember it is ALL About Homeostasis If You Need To Smoke then Do It and If No Desire Or you Can't Get Access To It Just Forget About Like Before You Ever Even Tried Smoking Until you Do It Again Pretend Like It Is The Very First Time ALL OVER AGAIN BROSEPH CHEA!!!

I personally believe that when soemone says that they're psycologically addicted to marijuana that just means that the way in which they use the herb helps them out enough that they have trouble not having a bowl to blaze.

I personally can't sleep at night without herb, but this was a problem I had long before smoking.

So can it really be called an addiction? If so then aren't all medicines "psycologically addictive"? If you miss your perscription meds for a day or two and start to experience the problem again, are you really addicted?

Except for the fact that most people who smoke weed do it recreationally. (Including the recreational users who have convinced themselves that they need it for a medical reason lol)

" If you miss your shot of Heroin, and start to experience problems, are you really addicted? "
Just think about how fucking stupid that sounds.

Anyway I think it's pretty mind blowing that people will continue to say you can't get addicted to pot-- despite the plethora of people who are addicted to pot (just look at the number in this thread alone).

The average person that says pot isn't addictive is usually a guy that is addicted to weed (in denial).

As with any drug, yes, you can get addicted.
/thread

We really could quit if we wanted to, we're not like heroin addicts whose lives get ruined and yet they still use.

You realize that is exactly the kind of shit heroin addicts say, right?

I actually know quite a few people who've ruined their lives (at least thus far) over pot.

"I could quit if I wanted to"
-- Every drug addict ever, including myself

In fact, that phrase is so fucking cliche and synonymous with "I can't quit, so I'm just gonna say I don't want to and come to believe it myself" that it's amazing you even said it.

As with any addiction, you're usually the last person around you to realize you're addicted.
And as with any addiction, you can make yourself believe anything.

Now, you may or may not be addicted-- but it sure as hell sound like you are (I guess you can't bullshit a bullshitter, eh?).

So to find out, why don't you go a month without getting high VOLUNTARILY.
And don't use the "I don't want to" excuse... It doesn't really help your case since no drug addict want to be sober.

If you can make it a month just to prove your not addicted, good for you.
If you end up smoking after 4 days... I've got some bad news for you.

And if you don't do it at all, I've really got some bad news for you. Lol

I'm so sick of hearing addicts of any drug spouting off all their denial catchphrases.
Maybe it's because I've done more than my fair share of it, or maybe I've just heard it too many times.

Anyway, I used to say the same shit as you-- about pot, about heroin, about whatever drugs I was doing.
And then I wised the fuck up.

I was about to write some things but mabzie55 pretty much owned that one. Very good posts imo.

I think that Cannabis, especially when consumed through smoking/vaping, is pretty fucking addictive. Much more than most people who smoke seems to believe/accept.
As have already been mentioned, a lot of this has to do with the fact that Cannabis has relatively few side effects, nothing compared to most drugs out there.
Not only that, but tolerance develops relatively slow and drops quite fast (when compared to other drugs, tolerance is definately still a problem) so it's possible to get high, at least to some degree, every single day.
The side effects of cronic everyday use are often well hidden and as Mabzie said, the addict is often the last person to realise that they are in fact addicted.

I have known a lot of Cannabis users and I must say that about 90% of them were addicts. In the sense that they had to smoke everyday in order to feel okay about their life, had to smoke before going to bed in order to sleep and stuff like that but the most obvious symptom that they were in fact addicts were their lifestyle changes.
They dropped out of school or at least didn't take it serious, they started hanging out, exclusively, with people who smoke, they didn't pursue girls in the same way that you would expect of the regular teen, their homes turned messy, they didn't exercise or eat well. Why? Because all they really cared about was getting high. Everything else was put in second row and due to the side effect profile of Cannabis, they could continue this crappy way of life without parents, socialworkers, doctors or anyone like that meddeling in their way of life, even though what they really needed was some guidance and to stop smoking weed all day every day.

I do vape every day myself, mostly in the afternoon and under 0,5 g a day. I can stop anytime I want, which I have previously shown on multiple occasions but I still choose to vape everyday.
I still get withdrawal symptoms when not consuming for about 24 hours, shorter fuse, trouble falling a sleep, I wake up multiple times a night for the first couple of days without consuming it and sweating during sleep are severly increased.
So am I addicted to Cannabis? Hell yeah, it's just not half as bad as what would have been the case with other drugs but it's an addiction none the less if I get withdrawal symptoms upon stopping my use, after all, that is one of the major symptoms of addiction.

Euh...

M'well, "toxic" individuals are often the last ones to realize that they've been made so through brain washing.

As we can't even trust everything TV and papers have to say about it...

New to bluelight, but have many experiences with drugs. In the past i was going through the same thing of how you feel like your psychologically addicted but not chemically addicted to bud. In my experience i had gotton into trouble with the law but wouldnt stop smoking. Like i woulda done anything to keep smoking like lie to my parents and probation officer. It was all just so i could keep smoking. And i understand people have there own lives and and there own experience s but just be glad your not all caught up in the system. Lemme tell you buddy. They reslly fuck wit you. Its not worth getting caught. I mean exerything in moderation. Most problems wont arise with moderation of use. -Peace <love3