• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

marijuana addiction - different?

RookieCookie

Greenlighter
Hello all. I dont post much here but read a lot. There is something I have been wondering about for a while and would like to hear some different opinions. First some background; I have been smoking about 10 years, I use it for medical purposes (migraines and anxiety/panic disorder/PTSD) but I am definitely a recreational user as well and about the last 4 years I have been a daily user. I come home on my lunchbreaks and smoke, I smoke after work, on the weekends...whenever. I usually even smoke a bowl first thing in the morning on my days off. All my friends smoke too and we hang out and smoke together, whatever. I admittedly feel sometimes (most times) like I couldn't make it through the day without my little green buddie =D There have only been a handful of times in the last few years that I have run out and while I don't have any physical withdrawl symptoms when I don't smoke I definitely have a much shorter fuse :p I am obviously at least psychologically addicted, but I am definitely functional, independant, have lots of friends and great family, and have never had the slightest urge to move on to any harder drugs (save for some tramadol every now and again). Is it the lack of pyschical withdrawl that makes daily marijuana use so managable? Or the social acceptace?? Or what? Any thoughts?

dude you just mirrored my life except my family hates me and my friends are complete retards.

but on subject, yes its different, alcohol brings hangovers and nausea and comedowns, nicotine is addictive, most other drugs are heavily looked down upon, my mary jane is a very special girl;)

Lately ive been sick so ive been smoking alot since its the only medicine thatll help me, i realized that when i went to bed last night i was craving a joint, now that i woke up im really seriously wanting THC in my system, it doesnt attack you or draw you like a cig, you just notice that uve gotten used to sitting on the nice lil comfy couch called cannabis. but yea im fucking smoking this joint.:eek:

for me, it's a lot like coffee and alcohol. i use all three daily, and so long as i don't overdo it the pros outweigh the cons. but if i do go overboard with any of them, i'll start to experience more negative consequences (pot - lack of motivation, lame social life, muddled brain; caffeine - anxiety, stomach aches; alcohol - hangover, diminished physical/athletic ability).

i don't think marijuana has the same profile of chemical/physical dependency that a lot of other drugs do, but i think that also makes the psychological addiction easier to justify and thus much stronger.

I personally believe that when soemone says that they're psycologically addicted to marijuana that just means that the way in which they use the herb helps them out enough that they have trouble not having a bowl to blaze.

I personally can't sleep at night without herb, but this was a problem I had long before smoking.

So can it really be called an addiction? If so then aren't all medicines "psycologically addictive"? If you miss your perscription meds for a day or two and start to experience the problem again, are you really addicted?

Nah - it's the lack of adverse side effects.

Bingo -- It's an easy lifestyle to live, and if you have the funds, it really isn't a big deal to have that lifestyle addiction. Not to mention, I'm sure by now you've noticed how your high differs from when you first started. I'm willing to bet that no matter how much you smoke out, you'll never get as high as you did in the golden days.

I personally believe that when soemone says that they're psycologically addicted to marijuana that just means that the way in which they use the herb helps them out enough that they have trouble not having a bowl to blaze.

of the people i know who have been heavy daily users (myself included), i don't think i saw any of them for whom the addiction was a positive thing. i'm not saying it ruined their lives, but it definitely seemed to diminish the quality of them.

I like this subject, I hope more people keep posting.

I will definitely agree that weed is mentally addicting and I think it's that way because people realize how insignificant it is, at least where I live. People go out and smoke a J or two, get high for a couple hours then return to their normal selves so its like, well why not smoke? Coffee is a really good example like others have said, you don't NEED coffee every morning but its beneficial and a great addition to your day . You don't NEED to smoke but you enjoy it and it helps the day go by.

Not to mention, I'm sure by now you've noticed how your high differs from when you first started. I'm willing to bet that no matter how much you smoke out, you'll never get as high as you did in the golden days.

ahh, the key word being there "NEVER"

maybe if we had a couple of year break lol

ive been smoking weed (near daily) for three years, and whilst i agree to some extent that to some people its psychologically addictive, all you need is willpower and a constant reminder as to why you aren't wanting to smoke, and you can easily go without it. i can, anyway.

i think pot is probably the easiest drug to quit as far as withdrawal symptoms - i have stopped a few times - what was actually bad was quitting meth and later tobacco.. both horrible experiences..

^ True true.

Addiction is addiction no matter what the substance

I see your point, Roose. I guess I don't "need" to smoke weed just to get blazed..but I really fuckin want to..hehe :p

Last edited:
Marijuana addiction... *sigh*

I smoke every night (very small amounts tho), and sometimes during the day if it's a special occasion. However, I don't crave it or anything. I can--and have--easily gone long stretches of time without marijuana with no problems whatsoever.

I'm addicted to opiates and benzos currently, and not only is the psychological addiction 100x stronger than weed could ever be, but to boot, there's the phsyical component. And physical w/d from downers are no joke -- you get sick like you've never been in your life, or ever could have imagined. You can even die.

Even amphetamines and cocaine, which don't give you physical withdrawals, are incredibly more addicting than marijuana, in my experience.

As has been stated previously, marijuana "addiction" is a luxury and nothing else. It's more of a habit than an addiction to be honest. I salute the guy who compared marijuana "addiction" to taking medicine--if you stop taking Motrin, your headache returns; if you stop smoking weed, your boredom returns. That pretty much sums it up.

There must be a minute physical aspect to marijuana addiction. Because if your the kind of person who smokes alot of pot, 2-3 weeks after you quit you will get the most massive headaches you've ever had.

If you can stop smoking for a week then its down hill from there. Food doesnt taste good, you have to get your appetite back. Sleep is a bitch also but start working out during the day make your body tired, or for a big stretch start reading, if your mind is tired you will fall to sleep. Or you can listen to those crazy meditation trance music.

If you fail to quit smoking just get arrested and get on probation, this is a very expensive way to quit doing drugs, but normally the treat of spending a year in jail will make you stop doing drugs, at least while your on probation.

There must be a minute physical aspect to marijuana addiction. Because if your the kind of person who smokes alot of pot, 2-3 weeks after you quit you will get the most massive headaches you've ever had.

bullshit. the only physical aspect I can think of is sweating a bit more and sleeplessness, weed didn't give you headaches.