• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

marijuana addiction - different?

physical effects from weed cessation are feeling shitty in the head as in :|, not shitty in the head as in :!, although your mileage may vary as always...
for me though, the only headache is that

weed is expensive $$=>
me being addicted = me being broke.
stoned + broke = :\
:\ > :( + $$

addiction is :\ at this point, until life picks up =D , but when :? is that going to be?

Last edited:
physical effects from weed cessation are feeling shitty in the head as in :|, not shitty in the head as in :!, although your mileage may vary as always...
for me though, the only headache is that

weed is expensive $$=>
me being addicted = me being broke.
stoned + broke = :\
:\ > :( + $$

addiction is :\ at this point, until life picks up =D , but when :? is that going to be?

You know what they say though, dope will get you through times of know money better than money will get you through times of know dope.

Me I am constantly high and . . . I dunno, I can and have quit if I really want to for whatever reason. I love being high though and I often feel like I need it to function. The trouble is it's so mild of an addiction that it sort of sneaks up on you, even if it's not all that bad to break off, it's just so simple to light a jay and there's not a ton of stigma to it. It's sort of like smoking cigarettes - in fact quitting weed was 10x harder for me than quitting cigs, but ymmv.

Some people seem to get "hooked" on weed, like me, and some people don't :\ Brain chemistry etc.

that's the bitch of it. weed is such a reliable way to get yourself up to content, but being content makes you a lot less motivated to live a life that you're actually proud of/excited about.

marijuana addiction is kinda like a fog, whereas benzo/opiate/stimulant addiction is more like a monster. the monster is big and strong and fucks shit up, but at least you know what you're fighting and how to fight it. the fog is just kind of a nuisance, and if you squint and aren't too worried about going anywhere, it's easy to live with. but that also means you're going to go through life not seeing as much, not doing as much and not going as fast.

WARNING my .02 cents only.

While i am a daily marijuana user... heavily. If im by myself and smoking by myself i'll be happy at a gram a day... if im with other people... push it up to an eigth. we smoke very good gear as well.. alot of heavy indicas/ i like to be sedated. (no i don't buy these 1/8th by 1/8th, people be smart, consumer savvy and save up for at least a zip or more... i usually go with a qtr elbow and ration it out)

Honestly If i don't have enough money for that much.. i wouldn't even be smoking weed... That's just me and my priorities.

Maybe its just cause i smoke heavy ass indicas (bubba kush, purple kush, etc) and hash all day but i fail to believe ANYONE high 24/7 is operating at their best.. I know when i take my month long breaks my productivity picks up, my reading comprehension speed as well as various other physical and mental skills

. I smoked a lot of sativa back in the day but I feel i can't feel high on em unless i smoke a haze strain or something...(sativa is too lacking of the numbness of the body i used to be a junk abuser so I'm about that numbness)

Addiction potential there? Yup i love smoking bud that's why i smoke everyday all day but i don't plan to spend the rest of my life doing this.

Lets face it. Smoking weed is a luxury. In emerging countries..(like the US used to be back in the fucking day) no one has TIME or MONEY to spend smoking weed they gotta work to put food on the motherfuckin table.

Smoking weed is the good life. the easy life. I don't see that it has negative impact on myself, my studies, and my hustle (I get money....in a profession where stoners are definently NOT abundant....). As long as no negativity is ensued I will continue to smoke daily through my undergrad years probably.

Weed is a luxury... if you are smoking it, enjoy it... or stop and let someone else enjoy it

Last edited:
Moderation is best. I moderate when i'm short on cash and it works out real nice- since weed tolerance drops hella quick- only takes like 3-4 days for a full battery recharge (personal estimate- no research...) and the spinach makes you feel like Popeye again :D

That said, at this point I've settled on only smoking midlevel sativas and as a result can function quite well at work and school, no issues there. With weed I def have the option of sinking into complacency.

YES.

But I can also extend effort if its some painful shit to me that I want to change, so the decision is still there- so long as I'm not too fucked up.

At this point, I can't say that my life is a fog- as I have pretty clear goals set out for myself and def keep myself in check with the laziness. Yeah, the procrastination is still there but, again that shit's my fault. Weed decreases my performance maybe 20%, but my mind is normally frantic, so the slower thought processes work out ait most of the times.

That said, I can't function on indicas. The shit I smoke bends my perspective enough to keep shit fresh. That's why I smoke- I like shit funky fresh and weed still does it for me... I used to get paranoid with sativas- but I've noticed that if you genuinely feel good about yourself, the paranoia fades mad quick or doesn't even surface. If you are carrying around some baggage it'll probably fuck with you. Again, weed's not really the problem- not keeping your game tight is...

Really, I just have to grow my own and be a happy camper or stack more skrill like the homie oohcow is doing.. :D

----
* It's a baby!-
yeah I know what you mean about smoking mj being like cigarettes in that the environment supports the behavior a lot of times, esp if you are hanging around a lot of stoners. I like smoking alone and having "straight" friends to kick it with. Most of them don't even know I smoke...

I get my hippy on in public only @ DnB shows now, lol. Getting too old to be original ganja rastafari status, lol.

Last edited:
yess this is the weed fein thread , i came to the cannabis section looking for just this answer , AM I REALLY ADDICTED? i think yes.. i choose to be, why?..
for just a little bit of background,
i started smoking about 2 1/2 years ago ,,
so i still remember kinda how it felt like to be sober,
a month after the first time i smoked is when i started smoking everyday and since then i have not stopped (I<3CANNABIS SO MUCH) i think more then my boyfriend hahaha, its bad i mean i feel like a hover vacum , my boyfriend doesnt know what to do anymore lol , i smoke in the morning , befor work , at lunch time, when i leave work before i cook, and to go to sleep .. smoke smoke ALL THE TIME :)
i have gone 1 or 2 days with out smoking & right now im actually out of bud and waiting to reup
and i hate it
i get a headache not exactly but i feel a pressure :X
i cant sleep
i cant eat
and worst of all im grumpy

so i think yes you can become DEPENDENT
i never felt like this when i was sober 2 1/2 years ago
so yeahh ... i love it tho.. i suffer from really bad back problems 21 year old with a 45 year olds spine , so i does wonders i don't need to take any meds , which basically the only meds for back pains are painkillers and they were destroying my stomach lining .. smoking relaxes me mentally and physically ..
basically i think that weed is a bit addictive because its so harmless and practical, and i dont feel like it would ever be an issues to quite BUTTTT........................... like i tell people, i just started and dont plan on stopping any time soon :)

we are potheads because we want to be

Last edited:
yess this is the weed fein thread , i came to the cannabis section looking for just this answer , AM I REALLY ADDICTED? i think yes.. i choose to be, why?..
for just a little bit of background,
i started smoking about 2 1/2 years ago ,,
so i still remember kinda how it felt like to be sober,
a month after the first time i smoked is when i started smoking everyday and since then i have not stopped (I<3CANNABIS SO MUCH) i think more then my boyfriend hahaha, its bad i mean i feel like a hover vacum , my boyfriend doesnt know what to do anymore lol , i smoke in the morning , befor work , at lunch time, when i leave work before i cook, and to go to sleep .. smoke smoke ALL THE TIME my boyfriend sells so its not that bad on the cash :)
i have gone 1 or 2 days with out smoking & right now im actually out of bud and waiting to reup
and i hate it
i get a headache not exactly but i feel a pressure :X
i cant sleep
i cant eat
and worst of all im grumpy

so i think yes you can become DEPENDENT
i never felt like this when i was sober 2 1/2 years ago
so yeahh ... i love it tho.. i suffer from really bad back problems 21 year old with a 45 year olds spine , so i does wonders i don't need to take any meds , which basically the only meds for back pains are painkillers and they were destroying my stomach lining .. smoking relaxes me mentally and physically ..
basically i think that weed is a bit addictive because its so harmless and practical, and i dont feel like it would ever be an issues to quite BUTTTT........................... like i tell people, i just started and dont plan on stopping any time soon :)

we are potheads because we want to be

Yeah pretty much this tho you should remove that personal reference re: bf, people can find you, it's an off chance but be safe.

We're potheads because we really like being potheads and hate not being potheads, we really could quit if we wanted to, we're not like heroin addicts whose lives get ruined and yet they still use.

if you do it everyday all day...everything in your life will slowly become eternally unstatisfying no matter how good it is, and you wont even see it cause your living in a cloud of smoke.

but when you learn to appreciate it and master its power over you, which a lot of people do its wonderful.. but the disease of addiction is progressive, and theoretically you will go back eventually.

thats just my personal experience.

that's the bitch of it. weed is such a reliable way to get yourself up to content, but being content makes you a lot less motivated to live a life that you're actually proud of/excited about.

marijuana addiction is kinda like a fog, whereas benzo/opiate/stimulant addiction is more like a monster. the monster is big and strong and fucks shit up, but at least you know what you're fighting and how to fight it. the fog is just kind of a nuisance, and if you squint and aren't too worried about going anywhere, it's easy to live with. but that also means you're going to go through life not seeing as much, not doing as much and not going as fast.

I think you nailed it.

Cannabis-Sativa is a sweet gift from the heavens above.

Unfortunately..... I've been put on probation recently and can not smoke often anymore =[ .

I went from a daily user to a once-a-month user. And it has been horrible. Weed wont give you a physical addiction but it definitely will give you somewhat of a mental addiction. Reason being: Your brain and mindset misses the wonderful feeling you get when you smoke. Therefore you will be in constant want of it and feel like you have the need to have it.

Personally i've used weed as a getaway from all of the bad shit i've been going through in life. I'm not going into details, but it felt like an escape from it all and the one thing that would pretty much make me happy and away from it all. Thus making my mental addiction worse.

But pretty much it's all in your head if you think you're addicted to it. It will be extremely tough, and may take awhile, but it is possible to get through it and learn to be happy without it. I'm trying my damndest as it is. One thing that has helped me in a large way, ways being perscribed to the ADHD med Vyvanse. It puts me in a good, talkative, and friendly mood for most of the day. But at the end of the day, in the back of my head, i'm still craving that mary-jane.

That is just my opinion and situation about marijuana addiction, others will have different views, but thats how i see it.

Peace :)

I have friends that is a daily smoker and just seeing them stops me from doing so.
Like someone else said, you don't see much of life when you're in a cloud of smoke.
It makes me angry but mostly sad for her when I talk about whenever we did something fun and she has no fucking clue what I'm talking about.
We do fun stuff all the time and she doesn't even realize it, always worried she's not high enough or too high to enjoy it. :\

Weed isn't enjoyable if you always use it as a time filler.
No one can possibly have an interesting life 24/7 ..but that's what tv/music/hobbies are for.
The moment you degrade weed to a nothing-better-to-do activity you kill its beauty.
Drugs are special, no matter how "safe" they are.

i also find it is an addiction, but once you've quit other things like painkillers, tabacco, cocaine marijuana isn't shit compared to that. I still smoke like once a week its usually just a blunt of some good and thats enough to keep me straight for a week. i look at it as i work my ass off all week between work and classes that I deserve that fat ass blunt at the end of the week, plus its so much more rewarding smoking less often for me at least because i actually get high like i used to. low tolerance ftw

i also find it is an addiction, but once you've quit other things like painkillers, tabacco, cocaine marijuana isn't shit compared to that. I still smoke like once a week its usually just a blunt of some good and thats enough to keep me straight for a week. i look at it as i work my ass off all week between work and classes that I deserve that fat ass blunt at the end of the week, plus its so much more rewarding smoking less often for me at least because i actually get high like i used to. low tolerance ftw

yeah ^ you just have to go on about your life .. working normally , school, socializing , so on..

smoking shouldn't stop you from doing any of your daily activities.

it should be enjoyed every time it is smoked :)

it is also true the less you smoke the higher you get when you do smoke

but hey like i said were are because we want to be

No one can possibly have an interesting life 24/7 ..but that's what tv/music/hobbies are for.

also what pot is used for .... j/k

your right... i see your point... but it all depends on the person , some people don't deserve to smoke they do it with the wrong mentality..

some people honestly really have a love for Ms. MJ and it should be respected ..

the people you hang around with most probably do it with the wrong intentions like JUST TO GET HIGH .. not because they honestly like it .. i have too hung around people like that ... THAT JUST WANNA GET HIGH and it makes me sad .. i don't just wanna get high .. i actually just love the act of smoking it .... yes the act of smoking.... its not about just getting high but enjoying it

i love smoking
not just getting high

Last edited:
Meh I'd agree that weed can make you seem pretty damn boring. Probably one of its worser side effects (I know worser isn't a word lol it's funneh tho).

For me it's not that I'm not doing anything, but it sure as hell looks like I'm not doing anything. If I get real stoned I'm like those people from those commercials who are all deflated and sitting on the couch. But in my head I'm thinking up a storm about . . . whatever I'm thinking about, from philosophy to history to something totally trivial. Weed really does make you think, I don't know if it makes you think *well* necessarily but it does seem to make a lot of people get wrapped up in themselves, and from this social withdrawal etc, and you don't care about *talking* about your thinking so you look like a lobotomy patient just staring into space.

Meh I'd agree that weed can make you seem pretty damn boring. Probably one of its worser side effects (I know worser isn't a word lol it's funneh tho).

For me it's not that I'm not doing anything, but it sure as hell looks like I'm not doing anything. If I get real stoned I'm like those people from those commercials who are all deflated and sitting on the couch. But in my head I'm thinking up a storm about . . . whatever I'm thinking about, from philosophy to history to something totally trivial. Weed really does make you think, I don't know if it makes you think *well* necessarily but it does seem to make a lot of people get wrapped up in themselves, and from this social withdrawal etc, and you don't care about *talking* about your thinking so you look like a lobotomy patient just staring into space.

like i said i dont know if some people do it with a different mentality but i swear on my mother i have never gotten like that , i am an extremely functional smoker , i will talk up a storm when im high . i can basically do anything high , i talk to my boss high , i cook for my mom high, i even go to class high (sometimes) .. maybe its a bad thing just because i easily function high ... but i sure as heck don't get depressed or think about horrible thoughts .. i enjoy it .. and enjoy doing things high.... its not only me i know alot of potheads that befor they get out of the house to do anything they smoke lol.. believe it or not it helps deal with alot of the people who are not high and are extremely rude,

like for example , i work retail and during the Christmas rush i saw two girls probably in there 20's shoving, insulting and pushing each other , all this huge ordeal for just nothing, a piece of merchandise.. the anger in them made me sad ..and believe it or not just the fact that i was high helped me deal with them .. i think my state of calmness and the way i mediated the situation made them feel childish.. its really sad what the world is coming to... MJ should be the last of anyones worries lol
<3

PEACE & <3

free weed lol

While I don't actually 100% agree, I do like how you worded that.

Being addicted to MJ is like being addicted to sex or gambling. Mental side effects and minor physical withdrawls (sleeping). Alcohol or cigs are more of a monster, and those are the legal ones.

Hello all. I dont post much here but read a lot. There is something I have been wondering about for a while and would like to hear some different opinions. First some background; I have been smoking about 10 years, I use it for medical purposes (migraines and anxiety/panic disorder/PTSD) but I am definitely a recreational user as well and about the last 4 years I have been a daily user. I come home on my lunchbreaks and smoke, I smoke after work, on the weekends...whenever. I usually even smoke a bowl first thing in the morning on my days off. All my friends smoke too and we hang out and smoke together, whatever. I admittedly feel sometimes (most times) like I couldn't make it through the day without my little green buddie =D There have only been a handful of times in the last few years that I have run out and while I don't have any physical withdrawl symptoms when I don't smoke I definitely have a much shorter fuse :p I am obviously at least psychologically addicted, but I am definitely functional, independant, have lots of friends and great family, and have never had the slightest urge to move on to any harder drugs (save for some tramadol every now and again). Is it the lack of pyschical withdrawl that makes daily marijuana use so managable? Or the social acceptace?? Or what? Any thoughts?

maybe its a psychological addiction really... maybe you are just so accustomed to the thought of smoking weed and you just really enjoy it like I do... i bet if you went on vacation or something for a few days you would not even think about weed?

I don't understand the "no physical withdrawal ergo not really addictive."

Take cigarettes, they are the "most addictive substance" (a lot of that is social acceptance, legality, and lack of immediate consequences from smoking of course) but people who quit them don't have the shakes or anything. They just have sleep issues, depression, moodiness, craving cigarettes, dreaming about cigarettes, irritability, overeating, pretty mild stuff really compared to other drugs, yet we all agree that they are addictive.

IMO weed is not very addictive but some people will develop a bit of a habit. It's hard to do this though, you basically have to maintain a nearly-constant "high" for at least a few weeks before you get even mild "withdrawal". Once you are addicted it's comparable to a cigarette addiction and the withdrawal symptoms and cravings are of similar intensity in my experience - by that time smoking weed almost is like cigarettes, it basically just makes you feel sort of content and relaxed.