• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Maintenance treatment in Netherlands

Narco09

Greenlighter
Hi

I'm moving this summer to the Netherlands and to amsterdam. How is the opioid maintenance treament working there? When i get my insurance, how long i have to wait before i get to treatment? I'm already now on treament, so i just go to clinic and tell my situation and they take me onto program? Can any Dutch person tell how the whole treatment is handeled?
thanks

@schizopath
@Nas47

Are you guys from this area...can't remember atm

Give this thread a bit Narco and some of our people that are in these areas can probably help you.

I will say that if you announce your arrival, coordinate with both the home and receiving clinic and have either insurance or money, it will not be a problem at all. Even in New England right now in the United States, Methadone as a medication is now treated as a right and withholding of it for no reason is basically considered malpractice as it greatly raises the risk of death in the individual. The Dutch are well-aware of this shit. We invented Methadone here in the states, but damn it if the Dutch aren't known for perfecting previous inventions over inventing their own.

What does your clinic say? What does your doctor say? They are the ones who will ultimately need to communicate anyway, so I'm a little bit lost here honestly. I don't see why or how there could be a problem if you're a legal immigrant and announce your plans?

Hi

I'm moving this summer to the Netherlands and to amsterdam. How is the opioid maintenance treament working there? When i get my insurance, how long i have to wait before i get to treatment? I'm already now on treament, so i just go to clinic and tell my situation and they take me onto program? Can any Dutch person tell how the whole treatment is handeled?
thanks
Holland is ok I think.You can go into program,if you have any previous docs.from your latest program-something to proove that,you have been on a substitution therapy.Don't know how long must wait to treatment,but they would not you leave to suffer.Netherlands as I know have different subs.programs.A real Europe.But I am not from Holland....so let's answer and some dude from there.Good chance ma deadhead friend!

Last edited:
Some info dating back, 2013, suggest's Buprenorphine as an option besides Methadon maintanance or substitution with pharmaceutical Heroin. The last one involves probably a lot of paperwork and taking the drug on site 3x daily.

Can't find anything on the time span they need to get a Methadon program going. But as being a Dutch i would expect at least 6 week's.

Some info dating back, 2013, suggest's Buprenorphine as an option besides Methadon maintanance or substitution with pharmaceutical Heroin. The last one involves probably a lot of paperwork and taking the drug on site 3x daily.

Can't find anything on the time span they need to get a Methadon program going. But as being a Dutch i would expect at least 6 week's.
So your dutch? Could you ask around how it is handled, how long is the queue? I would be extremely grateful.

The Dutch also use dextromoramide (UK brand name Palfium) because when taken orally, it gives an IV-like opiate rush. I believe that it's supplied to certain clients via the methadonebus. They have a VERY clever system. They may only offer you 20mg of methadone BUT the bus comes 3 times a day so they can titrate up quickly.
If you turn up 3 times a day for 7 days on the trot - you are offered in-patient treatment starting THAT day. The methadone bus is a classic Dutch idea. - even people who disagree with giving addicts drugs have to admit that it WORKS. You cannot argue with that. Their attitude to prostitution and soft-drugs is likewise provably the least harmful option.

Don't assume ALL Dutch people speak English and the booklet above on accessing treatment is, obviously, only published in Dutch. So you need to know how to read Dutch to access treatment.
I don't buy that. So you say foreigners who doesnt speak dutch cant get to treatment? That sounds wierd, especially for progressive and open minded country like netherlands. In finland anyone can get to treatment, no matter where they come or what language they use.

The Dutch also use dextromoramide (UK brand name Palfium) because when taken orally, it gives an IV-like opiate rush. I believe that it's supplied to certain clients via the methadonebus. They have a VERY clever system. They may only offer you 20mg of methadone BUT the bus comes 3 times a day so they can titrate up quickly.
If you turn up 3 times a day for 7 days on the trot - you are offered in-patient treatment starting THAT day. The methadone bus is a classic Dutch idea. - even people who disagree with giving addicts drugs have to admit that it WORKS. You cannot argue with that. Their attitude to prostitution and soft-drugs is likewise provably the least harmful option.
Saw those buses in Madrid.Going round the city all day long.No queues,cause it's mobile.Offer substitution med.like methadone or bupe,checking health condition,hiv test,blood samples,exchange new syringes.inovative for real

My old methadone doctor was from Holland. She said it was similar to here in Canada but they were more strict on using benzos with methadone. I can't imagine it would be much different then here in canada but i would try to find that out before going there.

I will say that if you announce your arrival, coordinate with both the home and receiving clinic and have either insurance or money, it will not be a problem at all. Even in New England right now in the United States, Methadone as a medication is now treated as a right and withholding of it for no reason is basically considered malpractice as it greatly raises the risk of death in the individual. The Dutch are well-aware of this shit. We invented Methadone here in the states, but damn it if the Dutch aren't known for perfecting previous inventions over inventing their own.

What does your clinic say? What does your doctor say? They are the ones who will ultimately need to communicate anyway, so I'm a little bit lost here honestly. I don't see why or how there could be a problem if you're a legal immigrant and announce your plans?
I thought methadone was invented in Germany, or do you mean Methadone maintenance?

Many opioids were invented in Germany actually.

I always remember the Netherlands even using actual diacetylmorphine for maintenance, although I don't know if they still do or how you can get it.

I thought methadone was invented in Germany, or do you mean Methadone maintenance?

Many opioids were invented in Germany actually.

I always remember the Netherlands even using actual diacetylmorphine for maintenance, although I don't know if they still do or how you can get it.

In UK also exist pharma grade H for substitution as I know.In Swiss also.

In UK also exist pharma grade H for substitution as I know.In Swiss also.
The UK even had pharmaceutically prepared Cocaine freebase cig's. According to a youtube vid.

But afaik Dextromoamide is not in use anymore.

Your best chances are getting your script as it is continued when you move over by a Dutch doc or a repeat script you can fill over here. And to take care of all of that way before actually moving. You never know how long these kinda thing's take.

Taken on site, I guess 3 x a day. Not very cosy shooting or chasing in a clinical enviroment.

Its not like you get take homes of pharm grade Dia-Morphine.

Seen the bus but never been there. But I saw the people with their cups of green syrup. Or is it blue?

After the last time I heard Palfium mentioned was when the supplier for drugstores was robbed and all the Dextromoramide disappeared. After the 1998 edition I didn't follow it when, its now gone. Not mentioned. Probably because off the side effects and better option's.

My old methadone doctor was from Holland. She said it was similar to here in Canada but they were more strict on using benzos with methadone. I can't imagine it would be much different then here in canada but i would try to find that out before going there.
I've seen Canadian 'pink' methadone and noted how much more respect Canadian pharmacists give clients.

I never had to use them - we toured Windsor and I got about 50 boxes of codeine/paracetamol and cleaned them (the proper DMSO route) and even made some deoxymorphine. 1g lasted us 20 days.

But the US could learn from Canada. The pharmacist treated the client with the same respect as any other customer. One of the MAIN reasons I do not switch to buprenorphine or methadone is the attitude of pharmacists.... I did it once, but never again - being treated like scum. One of them I seriously considered burning down, so ANGRY I was... but then I discovered that the pharmacist's son had a HUGE habit and being Muslims, they will always try to keep the family together.... then the son stole keys and ripped off every salable pill on the shop. So I guess justice was done - the owner saw how his own kid acted.... and wondered (as parents to, if iT was HIS fault.