PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Lysergamides [LSD Subthread] Effect Description / "What is LSD like?"

fcuk9000

Bluelighter
Welcome to the LSD effect description subthread

hoff.jpg

Whether you ended up here from the Beginner's FAQ or not, this thread is meant to cover the question "what is LSD like?".
First of all, it is very difficult to describe or explain because those who never tripped before simply lack a frame of reference to imagine something like it. But it could possibly help to try so that for example you can make a decision whether you want to actually try it some time or not.

Read on what other people have to say, and read some of some of the possible effects listed here (but realize that in reality the effects are much more complex than this list, everyone reacts differently and it can be much less predictable what will happen than drugs of other classes such as uppers or downers:

EFFECTS LIST

POSITIVE

• mental and physical stimulation
  • increase in associative & creative thinking
  • mood lift
  • increased awareness & appreciation of music
  • sensory enhancement (taste, smell, etc)
  • closed- and open-eye visuals, including trails, color shifts, brightening, etc.
  • life-changing spiritual experiences
  • therapeutic psychological reflection
  • feeling of oceanic connectedness to the universe; blurring of boundaries between self and other

NEUTRAL

• general change in consciousness
  • pupil dilation
  • difficulty focusing
  • increased salivation and mucus production (causes coughing in some people)
  • unusual body sensations (facial flushing, chills, goosebumps, body energy)
  • unusual thoughts and speech
  • change in perception of time
  • quickly changing emotions (happiness, fear, gidiness, anxiety, anger, joy, irritation)
  • slight increase in body temperature
  • slight increase in heart rate
  • increase in yawning (without being tired)
  • looping, recursive, out of control thinking

NEGATIVE

• anxiety
  • tension, jaw tension
  • increased perspiration
  • difficulty regulating body temperature
  • nausea
  • dizziness, confusion
  • insomnia
  • megalomania
  • over-awareness & over-sensitization to music and noise
  • paranoia, fear, and panic
  • unwanted and overwhelming feelings
  • unwanted life-changing spiritual experiences
  • flashbacks

Erowid describes the general effects thus in a few sentences:

LSD is a classic psychedelic, which many users feel acts as a psychological amplifier. Colors may be enhanced, patterns may be perceived, and the user may feel connected to others and to the universe at large. On the negative side, users may become paranoid or feel as if they are dying.

[original post:]

I have done E,weed,mushrooms,coke and some other stuff but never done LSD, i could never get it. I always thought it was like if you were walking down the street you would see elephants and monkeys walking around is it like this? Can someone explain what the experience is like? My friend told me he was at a restaurant and saw a alligator on the table and freaked out is it really this crazy lol? And why is this drug so hard to get well for me it is anyways

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never done LSD myself, but I cant see it being extremely different from mushrooms. They will be different, but they are both tryptamines. I hear acid is more stimulating and not as in your face as mushrooms tend to be.

Whenever someone has random silly stories about psychedelics like seeing creatures running amuck in the streets or boot-wearing faries flying around I tend to be skeptical about their supposed experience.

Check out some experience reports here on BL or on Erowid

Acid and mushrooms are two different drugs man. Anyone who has done both can tell you that. In my experience they are somewhat similar, but are not truly comparable.

To the OP: While I have found acid to be extremely fun and crazy, I think my mind is more clear on acid than on mushrooms. Acid also makes my brain work on overload just thinking and wondering about everything, while mushies don't really tend to do that. Mushrooms tend to be a little more confusing and wild. When I'm on shrooms I can generally just "go with the flow" and do whatever on doses up to an 8th, but on higher doses of acid I don't really have that same attitude.

I know that's worded in a confusing way, but to be more specific I'll give you an example. The other night I was tripping mushrooms with some friends and a kid called us to hang out and smoke. So we told him where to meet up with us and chilled with him and some of his friends all night. On acid, I wouldn't have answered the phone just because I wouldn't really want to hang around sober kids on acid.

Acid and mushrooms are two different drugs man. Anyone who has done both can tell you that. In my experience they are somewhat similar, but are not truly comparable.
True. Thats what I mean by 'not extremely different'. As in they are different drugs but the only other points of reference he has are pot, mdma and cocaine.

Experiences with LSD and other psychedelics are extremely subjective in nature. To get a good range of experiences - read a few trip reports either on this website, or on erowid.org.

What your friend describes to you doesn't seem like a typical LSD experience, but that's not to say it didn't happen.

shrooms:
shrooms are much stonier, much more body high. shrooms are more...neutral...it feels more...earthy......less funny, less overall euphoria..seems more visuals, maybe..
LSD:
shits and giggles, colors, kalidascope, stimulating, not stoning, just hilarity, feeling so great about amazing..
i mean they feel completely different. i cant completely explain.

LSDMDMA&8432517 said:
LSD:
shits and giggles, colors, kalidascope, stimulating, not stoning, just hilarity, feeling so great about amazing..
i mean they feel completely different. i cant completely explain.

still doinitwrong kid

it's the same place from different view points. largest difference is the length of the trip, although sometimes it seems that a six hours shroom trip may have twice the mental input than a twelve hour acid trip. or to say it like an ethno-hippie: mushroom trips have roots (shamanistic, archetypical, spiritual-context-wise) while lsd creates some sort of zen-psychedelicia-state in myself (be! here! now!).

LSDMDMA&8432532 said:
i'm doinitwrong? how.
you disputing whether or not ive tried acid?

PM me if you want to talk about it cuz Im cool like that

However, its not a matter of whether you tried or not. It's what you get out of it, and again...you are DoinitWrong

Actually, save the PM for when you realize it's not about you son

- tough love

I have done E,weed,mushrooms,coke and some other stuff but never done LSD, i could never get it. I always thought it was like if you were walking down the street you would see elephants and monkeys walking around is it like this? Can someone explain what the experience is like? My friend told me he was at a restaurant and saw a alligator on the table and freaked out is it really this crazy lol? And why is this drug so hard to get well for me it is anyways
Acid doesn't make you see shit that isn't there, it's just that everything that is there is, well, gnarly. The visuals take a back seat as you get closer to the peak and you get some brain-sex (not as in the visuals get less intense, just that you concentrate more on your thoughts than how all the trees are breathing). Can't say much more other than that, since it's unique for everyone.
Oh, and it's like wiping your ass with silk.

PM me if you want to talk about it cuz Im cool like that

However, its not a matter of whether you tried or not. It's what you get out of it, and again...you are DoinitWrong

Actually, save the PM for when you realize it's not about you son

- tough love

You're confusing me. How do you "do it wrong"? How do you "do it right"? What makes your way "right"? :?

Every thought, feeling, sensation, magnified and distorted N times.

N varies depending on the quantity you ingested (ranging from 10 to 1000 ;-).

Experiences with LSD and other psychedelics are extremely subjective in nature. To get a good range of experiences - read a few trip reports either on this website, or on erowid.org.

What your friend describes to you doesn't seem like a typical LSD experience, but that's not to say it didn't happen.

Well said.

I've had LSD experiences that were powerful but they had little visuals at all.

Words can't really describe a psychedelic experience.

From what I have heard, with acid there are more pattern-like visuals than with mushrooms, visuals seem a lot more real and intense when they are there. I've also heard that acid lacks the mental confusion of mushrooms and instead allows you to analyse things very intensely and go into long thought trains about a particular subject. I've also spoken to people who were on acid and they sounded high but more in a "Wow this is amazing" way rather than the "Woah this is so weird" way you get with shrooms.

I've yet to try acid myself though so don't take my word for it, but this is what I've been told by most of the people I know who've tried acid. Also more people seem to prefer acid over shrooms, except the people who take shrooms in much larger doses - that's what it seems like to me anyway.