• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

LSD and Animals

Such an interesting thread, love reading up on this subject. My cat is my rolling buddy when I roll alone, hahaha. He wont leave my side and just purrs non stop and loves when I talk to him. I think he senses the empathetic energy, & appreciation and love I have for him on my level. He's such a sweet little dude, love him so fuckin much! :)

I love my cats too, they're both so sweet and wonderful. :)

My cat is the best thing ever when I'm tripping. Last time she was surrounded by a halo of stylized cat like shapes curling and flexing while tiny rainbows danced between her fur hairs. She always seems more like a wild animal when I'm tripping, too. And like a mythical creature.

She always seems more like a wild animal when I'm tripping, too.
Perhaps because cats were never fully domesticated the way dogs were. Notice that blank stare or straight up ignoring a cat does when you call their name... Dogs turn and look you in the face and you can tell they know things. Not that I hate cats lol, they're awesome, I just like dogs better because they're more intelligent/more domesticated. Cats are just loafs -_- but at least you don't have to walk them or anything.

I do not believe that dogs are more intelligent at all. They simply have a closer emotional sensitivity and range to humans, and they're better at following commands... because they want to follow commands. Cats are individuals and you have to treat them like you would a person and form a relationship based on mutual respect rather than dominance. They're very intelligent creatures. Having had both dogs and cats as pets I can say with near certainty that cats are smarter than dogs. Most cats are smarter than most dogs anyway, I have met some dumb cats and some really smart dogs. Dogs are certainly more domesticated though.

Cats will come to you or look if you call their names, but only if they want to, which generally only happens if their own humans call and only if you have a good relationship with them. I can call one of my cats by name from anywhere in the house and that cat will come, and not the other. Because they know it means I want to snuggle them or shower them with attention and they want that from me because they respect and love me due to our relationships together. I have a bunch of things I call each one besides their actual given names, and they respond to them all, but only the one who has that nickname.

Note that I don't think dogs are dumb, dogs are also smart. They have more qualities that people generally value, such as loyalty, submission, etc(of course cats have loyalty too but in a different way, and again only if you inspire it in them). Also some cats are loafs but it's highly dependent on a lot of things including the individual cat and the amount of stimulation they have available them. My cats are super energetic and active.

I can't come up with an argument that won't just come across as I hate cats; so instead I'll just say that I think dogs' capacity for compassion and their abilities to understand language are what make them more intelligent, as they're more similar to humans and realize that they're part of a larger whole. Cats only ever think of themselves IMO. That's how I have personally established the higher intelligence of dogs over cats. Now obviously, you're right in saying that some are smart and some are ditzy from both species, as it goes for any living creatures, but on a more general scale dogs have a greater capacity for understanding larger concepts.

There is something magical about a friendly, confident tomcat. I couldn't have another outdoor cat tho - the roads are too dangerous and it's sickening to lose such a beautiful companion.

I do not believe that dogs are more intelligent at all. They simply have a closer emotional sensitivity and range to humans, and they're better at following commands... because they want to follow commands. Cats are individuals and you have to treat them like you would a person and form a relationship based on mutual respect rather than dominance. They're very intelligent creatures. Having had both dogs and cats as pets I can say with near certainty that cats are smarter than dogs. Most cats are smarter than most dogs anyway, I have met some dumb cats and some really smart dogs. Dogs are certainly more domesticated though.
Agreed. To put it bluntly, dogs are dumb doormats, while cats are strong willed miniature lions.

Also, cat people are smarter than dog people: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/29/cat-people-dog-people-intelligence_n_5412245.html

Agreed. To put it bluntly, dogs are dumb doormats, while cats are strong willed miniature lions.

Also, cat people are smarter than dog people: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/29/cat-people-dog-people-intelligence_n_5412245.html

How does this apply if one has both dogs and cats? Or has had one and now has the other?

Idk, man. Dogs can be trained to be really smart. Cats are smart too though. I also like how they are independent and don't need baths.

The best part about having a cat is that I could leave for a few days and all I would have to do is leave out some extra food. Low maintenance ftw

There is something magical about a friendly, confident tomcat. I couldn't have another outdoor cat tho - the roads are too dangerous and it's sickening to lose such a beautiful companion.
I do absolutely love friendly cats. The nicest cats I've ever met have all been stray or street cats, perhaps the isolation that domestic cats experience their whole lives causes them to be dicks because they don't know any better.

Yeah dogs certainly have more capacity for compassion, and are much more human-like in their emotional range. I don't think that equates to intelligence though, or at least the lack of it in cats does not equate to less intelligence. They're just different animals with different strengths.

One of my cats was a stray and she loves everyone and is super sweet and social. MY other cat is her son and he's been an indoor cat his whole life and he's the sweetest and most loving cat I have ever met, to me. But he doesn't warm up to other people very easily. He's not mean to anyone, he just doesn't get close emotionally.

There's a VICE article about a scientist who dosed cats in the 70s with LSD. They were definitely tripping balls.

There's a VICE article about a scientist who dosed cats in the 70s with LSD. They were definitely tripping balls.

I once (tried) to read a book/study about giving LSD, amphetamine and cocaine to (male) Siamese fighting fish to see how it affected their tendency towards aggressive territorial behaviour when confronted with other males of the species (or bright colours, which also trigger this behaviour).
Alas, the book was from the 70s in one of my previous university libraries, and I neither speak German or attempted to track down a translation.
When I'm tripping my cat takes on a different role in my mind.
Rather than me being her "owner" (for want of a better word) I see our symbiotic relationship emerge; I feed her -she kills anything rodents, roaches..anything that moves, that may be a threat to our food supply, as a means of compensation (or maybe just a cosy place to live with all manner of kitty comforts!)
And cuddles too.
It may sound a bit obvious to point out the aforementioned symbiosis...but it is strikingly clear deep into a heavy trip.
We protect each other; an inter-species relationship that has endured many thousands of generations, which is pretty profound if you think about it (with a head full of psychedelics, specifically).

Last edited:
I had a white German Shepard when I was 17 and when tripping I used to be able to cast from my hands what I called ribbons that I thought he was aware of. My friend was also able to throw the ribbons to the point where we could cover each other with them an not be able to see each other bodies. The dog came from a lieutenant of our police department and at 6 months when I got him was remarkable as far as the attention to me he showed. At one year he did half a hit with me and whether it was a hallucination or not he was able to go to the end of the ribbons I threw. I'll never know what was real or not only what I thought I saw.