• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Lost novelty with psychedelics: take more or hang up the phone?

GumbyClaymation

Bluelighter
I've taken a wide variety of drugs, but not a huge amount of trips compared to some accounts I've read. Maybe 100 psychedelic experiences over 20 years.

When I started, everything was simply awe inspiring. Most trips were solo due to lack of like minded friends. Sometimes, I literally had tears in my eyes in realizing the beauty, wonder, and interconnectedness of the universe. I have generally had good set and setting, but not often a really clear ritual or purpose to guide the trips. Insights just came to me.

Lately - the last few years, actually, my trips have been a disappointment. Oh, here come the visuals - been there, done that. Interference with my visual field and coordination make me have to concentrate a bit more to walk around, but I know how to manage. While I couldn't do complex "work" that requires concentration or other skills, I don't feel like I enter the psychedelic mind space any more, though I'm clearly impaired/ altered.

I hit this point, and after and hour or so, I'm just wondering when it will be done because I feel like I'm wasting time. Has anyone else run into these feelings?

I've never had a bad trip. Sometimes I wonder if taking a huge dose of LSD or mushrooms would catapult me into the mind space again, or if it would be a colossal waste of time or worse. If it's all just a sign to hang up the phone, I feel like a little part of me would be sorely disappointed.

P.S. One other thing that hangs in my mind is if I've lost the ability to trip due to my life becoming too mainstream - wife, house, kids, corporate job, conservative friends - all comfortable things, but not nearly as interesting/ diverse as I had hoped life would turn out.

Sounds to me like you're taking conservative doses. Maybe your LSD or mushrooms are weaker than they were on previous occasions? Or, are you being overly-cautious about taking too much because you're afraid that you won't be able to respond to an emergency if something were to happen to a loved one, for example? With a large enough dose, there's no lackluster trip. It's either gruelingly difficult, or tremendously euphoric (often both).

I can't recommend that you start taking heroic doses. I don't know you, or your situation. You might simply need to take a break. In any case, if you're not enjoying your trips anymore, something needs to change.

Have I ever run into these feelings? Yes. On occasion, I've begun to wonder whether tripping was really benefiting me in any way, or if I was just going round and round in pointless circles. That's healthy -- it's good to question everything. Taking some time away from psychedelics showed me that they were in fact a very important and constructive aspect of my life, so I came back.

I've been in a similar situation to you. I still do mostly solo trips for the very reasons you did. My trips had become a bit predictable and the mental direction my trips took always seemed basically the same. I had a break and, by the time I tripped again, my life circumstances were different and I'd had experiences that opened up new mental directions for my trips to take.

I know it's said so often but the challenging trips seem to be the most memorable and most rewarding.

Only recently did I start to experiment with different levels of sensory deprivation while tripping. It may seem like it would produce a less interesting trip but removing as much audio and visual stimulation really internalises the trip a lot more for me. Visuals are great, and music can sound transcendental when tripping, but when you limit these stimuli you may realise just what interesting sounds and physical sensations your mind produces. It almost makes you feel like you're in an infinite space.

I find that if I lie with the windows blacked out, wearing an eye mask and ear plugs, it is easier for my ego to thin. The rhythmic sound of your heart beating, and the blood flowing around your body, builds to become trance-like and soon you won't associate it with anything corporeal, but part of something bigger and ethereal. It can be very cleansing and it doesn't require large doses, which often aren't as practical as normal doses.

What are the average amount of mushies you eat when you trip? I usually have 3.5 grams of closed cap cubensis and that is always enough to make me trip hard. I've been doing a lot of pyscadelics lately and have in the past. All I know is that the trips I had from different shrooms( from a ex-dealer) wasn't as great and mind blowing as the hookup I got now. I wouldn't recommend heroic doses either, unless you really want to trip hard.

I ate 7 grams of closed cap cubensis and tripped major balls. It was by far the best trip I have ever had in my life. It's scary though, losing sense of reality isn't always fun, but it does take you to different places. Stay safe and have fun

Take a year off or so and come back to it, see what happens. Tripping with someone else can add a new dimension to things too.

I find that if I lie with the windows blacked out, wearing an eye mask and ear plugs, it is easier for my ego to thin.The rhythmic sound of your heart beating, and the blood flowing around your body, builds to become trance-like and soon you won't associate it with anything corporeal, but part of something bigger and ethereal. It can be very cleansing and it doesn't require large doses, which often aren't as practical as normal doses.

Brings about beautiful memories c: the weirdest shit happens when you sit alone in a quiet room with your eyes closed on a good dose of acid man, you lose all of the preconceptions you had about the experience you're consciously having, which translates to a complete reality channel switch. Almost as if your mind was temporarily reprogrammed from a steady pace to dancing. It's almost as if your brain doesn't even know how to translate the experience you're having into memories properly because it was never meant to experience pure, unadulterated consciousness.

Hang up the phone was always a stupid idea - even Alan Watts himself who hung up the phone on psychedelics while picking up the phone for two bottles of whiskey a day and drank himself to death.

But if you need a break from psychedelics then why not take one?

Taking the time in between trips is not just recommended to integrate them to avoid mental problems of the confused type, but also to give meaning in everyday life and not let trips dictate most of the profound meaning for you..

Lost novelty can also be similar to tolerance, so yes there are several reasons to take decent breaks in between to keep it interesting..

If all else fails, pretend that it's a 'wrong number' and redial.

Hang up the phone was always a stupid idea

I must agree with this one. No disrespect to Alan Watts (I've read and enjoyed many of his books), but he was wrong when he said "when you get the message, hang up the phone". The problem with this metaphor is that there is no single "message" -- you can keep on learning new things indefinitely from tripping.

Did we "finish" scientific inquiry as a whole when we discovered heliocentrism? Maybe we were finally done with physics after Einstein's theory of relativity? You get the idea.

Thanks for the replies. About doses, it's hard to quantify mushrooms or LSD. I've taken up to 50 mg of 4acodmt and up to 300 ug of AL LAD (different times, not combined). As for taking breaks, I trip much less frequently than I used two for a couple of reasons. One is life circumstances being more demanding. The other is the lack of rewarding insights gained from taking psychedelics.

Take a break until you can not wait anymore. When all your cells, mind and heart ask for a trip, then use to be a great idea.

Your partner is not interested in share the journeys?

How much do you usually dose with? How many grams of shrooms? How many ug of LSD (or how many "hits" if you don't know and in what form)?

I don't think the point of hanging up the phone would be to never learn anymore like that, but that the message would be that you can to some extent go far with meditation and other things.

So that you don't really need it as much anymore to walk a certain path. I've always felt awkward about the word need, you can not need something but still just find it better to hang on to it.

I am not doing well on any such path, and a long way to really do that kind of work all on my own (just not doing well) - so I'd personally rather try to optimize combining doing some work sober, and occasionally with complementary psychedelics.

Would never tell others what is better, that's up to everyone to say for themselves and it seems a little snobby.... but on the other hand I do kinda wish I wasn't being so weak and meditated a shitton more and get a lot of peace from that rather than relying (wanting? needing? =D ) on psychedelics to set me straight every now and then. Tripping is awesome but in a lot of ways things like meditation or yogic practices do feel better to me, more sustainedly wholesome.

If what was meant was that once you're enlightened or something, you're done - then that doesn't seem wise at all!! So imo it depends: some thing are definitely never finished in any way, but other stuff that relate only to your personal life can get 'optimized' in certain ways - but its still a matter of opinion.

Last edited:
Take a month long break. Fast daily. Eat before the sun comes up, and only after the sun goes down (like Muslims in Ramadan). Exercise light daily. Eat light fruits and vegetables. No meats. And try to meditate daily (however you're able to). Read existential poetry. Read any poetry as much as possible. Read some Jung, maybe.

Make an intent that you want a spiritual experience. Long for it. Desire it. Don't fast the last day. Eat light up until late afternoon and then stop. Don't eat anything until the next day. Take frequent naps during the day so that you are well rested for the evening and ready for the trip.

Sorry what cult was he asking to join?

None of that is really necessary is it? It seems like he just needs to work on his dose/setting.

What about Timewave Zero?

Still sounds cultish to me. He's not asking for spirituality.

I'm not arguing with you - I'm just offering a different point of view.

I know your intentions are well meaning it's just your blind following of one man's word/way seems a bit naive.

I'm far from American I can assure you.

I find that in my life when it hasn't changed in quite a while, if I'm remaining in the same "place", I tend to experience a relative lack of content in my trips. It's when there is something new and exciting in my life that I feel the magic (generally). You mentioned you feel a lack of diversity in life... that may be why. It's possible a large dose of LSD or mushrooms would put you back in that place, definitely. It sounds like you're plenty experienced so it's likely to at least not go badly, so if you're feeling it, I don't see any reason not to go for it.

I'd say, if the microdosing helps with the cluster headaches, stick to that, since it's a medical thing.

And man, sorry you're experiencing cluster headaches, I've heard it's some of the worst pain possible to experience.

I find that in my life when it hasn't changed in quite a while, if I'm remaining in the same "place", I tend to experience a relative lack of content in my trips. It's when there is something new and exciting in my life that I feel the magic (generally).

I can relate to this. Life gets stale if you're stuck in the same routine for too long. Which unfortunately is the case for me right now.

Hey, OP, I'm just wondering if not feeling invigorated by your life could be affecting your trips rather than your trips failing to invigorate your life?

You have a secure life and I imagine that you worked very hard to create that. But if it is not a life that feeds your soul, you have to ask yourself what you need to do to make that so. The best gift any parent can give their child, next to unconditional love, is to model a creative life. By creative life I don't mean practicing an art (although it could be that); I mean shaping it every day into something that engages you and feels meaningful to you.