• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Miscellaneous Looking for legal stuff

I was reading about calamus root?which is in a different thread but seems like something I could definitely tinker with but who knows might just be as psychoactive as nutmeg..
Calamus root contains beta asarone,
a compound structurally related to safrole (sassafras) and myristictin (nutmeg). Afaik, none of these are strongly psychoactive, and while they do all seem to have pharmacological properties, most of them have been proven to have toxic effects as well. It has never been proven that any of these substances can be made in the body. Nutmeg is still somewhat of a mystery as we don't specifically know what is happening to get you high (but it does).

All of these compounds may be chemically transformed into true psychoactive substances (safrole->MDMA, asarone->TMA-2, myristictin->MMDA), but that requires some very serious chemistry well beyond layman's skill and also the details of those processes are forbidden to talk about here.

A lot of the more commonly encountered "legal" psychedelics have been mentioned like morning glory/Hawaiian baby woodrose seeds, San Pedro (trichocereus cacti), amanita muscaria, DXM, kratom, and then there are dozens of RC tryptamines, lysergamides, and arylcyclohexylamines that are technically "legal" in the U.S. but generally are ordered off the internet, and as someone mentioned, may not be legal to actually consume.

There's also Kava kava and Kanna which weren't mentioned.

it had hemp, lions mushroom
You almost certainly encountered "Lion's Mane", a non psychoactive mushroom used for it's cognitive enhancing effects. Some people have said that when combined with certain other herbs/fungi that it can be stimulating like a low dose of adderall.

Out of all the substances mentioned, I would probably say San Pedro and related cacti are a pretty good way to go. They are readily available, generally affordable, and easy to prepare.

One thing to keep in mind is that legality can vary geographically and also change over time. Always make sure to research for your particular locality.

A prime and terrible example of this was someone sentenced to 10 years for kratom possession, I believe it was in Alabama. Even worse was that he was killed in prison shortly after he began his sentence.

Last edited:
Yes there are a few legal highs but pretty much all of them are shit. And they're usually more expensive than the illegal stuff that actually works.
You should definitely research about research chemicals. There's a ton of legal stuff around of which a few ones are definitely worth dabbling with, they are usually cheaper than their illegal counterparts and come in good purity. There are no or very few legit US-domestic sellers because of the law but you guys seem to be allowed to import for personal use from countries like the Netherlands which is the current epicenter of legal highs.

Look into 5/6-(M)APB for example for a MDMA-esque experience or 1cP-LSD for LSD. Then we have dissociatives like deschloroketamine or desmethylmethoxetamine, and many differnet tryptamine flavours etc.pp.

Calamus root contains beta asarone,
a compound structurally related to safrole (sassafras) and myristictin (nutmeg). Afaik, none of these are strongly psychoactive, and while they do all seem to have pharmacological properties, most of them have been proven to have toxic effects as well. It has never been proven that any of these substances can be made in the body. Nutmeg is still somewhat of a mystery as we don't specifically know what is happening to get you high (but it does).

All of these compounds may be chemically transformed into true psychoactive substances (safrole->MDMA, asarone->TMA-2, myristictin->MMDA), but that requires some very serious chemistry well beyond layman's skill and also the details of those processes are forbidden to talk about here.
Thanks Digital, yeah there were a slew of legal high books from the 70's that falsely claimed that, at least for calamus root, that the stomach could convert the asarone into TMA. Not the most astute books. One is named silly as The Magical And Ritual Use OF Herbs. Pleasant cover, but too much fluff. I always thought it would take some know how from an able chemist to covert anything in calamus root.

Thanks Digital, yeah there were a slew of legal high books from the 70's that falsely claimed that, at least for calamus root, that the stomach could convert the asarone into TMA. Not the most astute books. One is named silly as The Magical And Ritual Use OF Herbs. Pleasant cover, but too much fluff. I always thought it would take some know how from an able chemist to covert anything in calamus root.
pffft the 70's, LOL

They hadn't even figured out how to fax ACID back then ... :p

pffft the 70's, LOL

They hadn't even figured out how to fax ACID back then ... :p
Also the notorious "mesc" microdots. I will be honest when I was in high school I thought those dots were mescaline. However by the time I got out of high school I was hip to the notion that those dots were just acid and learned a lot more about mescaline. I have to say to make matters worse some did feel a little different than acid. But I had learned that a dose of synthetic mescaline does not fit in a microdot. Maybe it was a different lysergamide. The quality of whatever those were was excellent though.

Cactus is awesome. For that matter done correctly with very fresh Morning Glory seeds can be great too. Legal, but how legal to ingest? Probably not but also not really enforced. The old saying, just be cool! :)

And we can check on the changes every few years. I can't believe cannabis is legal and I can buy some right next to my town deli.
how fresh those MG seeds must be?
i've seen here some interesting isolation/extraction of goodies using sherry wine and things like that, very simple.

I don't know if it's worth to do such thing, instead of a normal CWE, because my seeds are super fresh (I just grew them in fact). I have around 50 grams.

I tried morning glory seeds a long time ago, when I was a kid. Wasn’t impressed. I had ready access to the hard (illegal) stuff so maybe it was just weak in comparison? 🤔
Then you probably did something not right...
I've had quite a good bunch of trips with different stuff and one of my best trips was with Hawaiian baby woodrose, and surely one of the most euphoric and dreamy trips, with one of the best types of useful introspection.
maybe the seeds weren't fresh or not full of actives? I've heard that morning glories are typically more lsd like and "fast paced" instead of dreamy and with strong body load as HBWR.

I recommend doing a CWE with at least 8-9 seeds of HBWR, avoiding light (when doing the crush of the seeds and putting the matter into the water).
I remember very strong euphoria, both cognitive and physical, better than mdma in fact. A tremendous and deep sense of peace and some very good introspection and insight.
Sex was better than any other substance I've ever have, even better than moxy.

Once in my teens some HBWR seeds crossed my path and I decided to give them a try. The result was a horribly intoxicated feeling, with brain zaps and anxiety/panic but no serotonergic-psychedelic experience at all. While shrooms would work as intended. Maybe I should have done a CWE? I just chewed the seeds. They tasted pretty fresh and came from a reputable smart shop.

Once in my teens some HBWR seeds crossed my path and I decided to give them a try. The result was a horribly intoxicated feeling, with brain zaps and anxiety/panic but no serotonergic-psychedelic experience at all. While shrooms would work as intended. Maybe I should have done a CWE? I just chewed the seeds. They tasted pretty fresh and came from a reputable smart shop.
it seems that there's different strains of HBWR, the good ones are from Magadascar and Hawaii, but there's some others like the Indian or Ghana strain that have all the toxic shit and barely no goodies at all. If your vendor was reputable... don't know but I found mine pretty enjoyable and came (supposedly) from Madagascar
If you do the CWE with some garlic on it you get the goodies and a lot of crap that is not water soluble doesn't get in (you also lost some goodies, but well..)
I do the CWE and then I use some other help like ginkgo biloba tea and some metoclopramide for nausea. Never chew them on its own, reading the bad reputation it had when people swallowed it straight
I've heard that yohimbe bark tea (very low dose) it's good for vasoconstriction (for me the worst side effect) and it's also good for counteract the "lethargy" some people gets.

You should definitely research about research chemicals. There's a ton of legal stuff around of which a few ones are definitely worth dabbling with, they are usually cheaper than their illegal counterparts and come in good purity. There are no or very few legit US-domestic sellers because of the law but you guys seem to be allowed to import for personal use from countries like the Netherlands which is the current epicenter of legal highs.

Look into 5/6-(M)APB for example for a MDMA-esque experience or 1cP-LSD for LSD. Then we have dissociatives like deschloroketamine or desmethylmethoxetamine, and many differnet tryptamine flavours etc.pp.

Are any research chemicals legal in the UK? Isnt anything psychoactive illegal under the new law? And I thought several research chem suppliers in the US were now in jail after the raids on 2004?

Are any research chemicals legal in the UK? Isnt anything psychoactive illegal under the new law? And I thought several research chem suppliers in the US were now in jail after the raids on 2004?
Yeah, unfortunately does the UK law cover afaik all psychoactive substances. About the US I read both that there are no more legit, domestic vendors because of law enforcement activity but also from more than one user who imported stuff for personal use and sometimes these envelopes get opened, checked and forwarded to the recipient if no banned chems or analogues of such are contained.

So you are saying if its Hawaiian woodrose you only need 2 seeds or 2 grams worth of seeds?..which would have to be from a fresh grown morning glory picked seeds from a Hawaiian woodrose that was grown correct? Seems to easy to just buy a packet or 2 and CWE....or can that work as well?

It's been a long time since I messed with them. I think I dosed to low only got a few tracers and lil bit of CEV.
A dose of Hawaiian Baby Woodrose is just a few seeds.

A dose of Morning Glory is couple hundred seeds.

A packet of either can be fresh. A packet can also be old. The active ingredients are supposed to break down quickly, becoming weaker and more unpleasant.

Every experience I've had with chewing and swallowing Hawaiian Baby Woodrose has been unpleasant. I haven't tried cold water extraction. My experience with a multi-step extraction using fresh seeds was okay.

I've never used Morning Glory seeds at psychedelic levels. I've just heard that potency is increased and side effects are reduced when using fresh instead of old seeds.

Never got anything out of morning glory or baby woodrose - no psychedelic effects at all - an increase in body temperature was about the only effect.

how fresh those MG seeds must be?
i've seen here some interesting isolation/extraction of goodies using sherry wine and things like that, very simple.
Hey Neuroborean, I think the only reason I stumbled on the freshness variable was because growing up we had planted a lot of MGS around my friends greenhouse one year. We were throwing a football, it landed in the vines which was around Nov of the year. He reminded me oh yeah remember these we planted? The seeds in the pods were soft, a handful tasted like mashed potatoes. But on a whim I at them and within a half hour had to drive home and curled up on a bed in the dark and tripped very hard. Tried it again two weeks later and the same although the seeds had hardened a bit. I have to say in as little as 6 months the seeds lost a lot of actives.

I also had a friend in Florida grow HBWS in his greenhouse. He sent me some pods right off the vine. 3 of those seeds was almost too much. Very strong trip. When I read people taking 20 HBWS I think they must be stale.

Then there is the whole LSH >LSA talk that goes on here. Not sure what to think, but fresh seeds are important. I also noticed that when I was younger and resorted to garden store seeds. Jan-Mar they were strong. After that each month lost potency.

A dose of Hawaiian Baby Woodrose is just a few seeds.

A dose of Morning Glory is couple hundred seeds.

A packet of either can be fresh. A packet can also be old. The active ingredients are supposed to break down quickly, becoming weaker and more unpleasant.

Every experience I've had with chewing and swallowing Hawaiian Baby Woodrose has been unpleasant. I haven't tried cold water extraction. My experience with a multi-step extraction using fresh seeds was okay.

I've never used Morning Glory seeds at psychedelic levels. I've just heard that potency is increased and side effects are reduced when using fresh instead of old seeds.
Thanks for clearing that up!

The best legal/available psychedelic is Mescaline/cacti in my opinion. It is the full deal, just as comparable to LSD and Mushrooms. Its not regulated and its available in most countries at a low price. Easy to prepare with household items(a pot, a blender and/or knife, and a cloth) and isn't dangerous. It has one downside, which is the taste. It is absolutely vile. Very metallic and bitter, and sticks to your mouth and throat leaving a strong after taste even when chased with water.
Personally I tried all sorts of natural stuff in my early days and mescaline was the only one that is worth bothering with. Mescaline is pure magic with amazing visuals. I found it very easy on the mind too compared to mushrooms - I could still do lots of stuff and didn't find it overwhelming even when I had very intense visuals.

H
The best legal/available psychedelic is Mescaline/cacti in my opinion. It is the full deal, just as comparable to LSD and Mushrooms. Its not regulated and its available in most countries at a low price. Easy to prepare with household items(a pot, a blender and/or knife, and a cloth) and isn't dangerous. It has one downside, which is the taste. It is absolutely vile. Very metallic and bitter, and sticks to your mouth and throat leaving a strong after taste even when chased with water.
Personally I tried all sorts of natural stuff in my early days and mescaline was the only one that is worth bothering with. Mescaline is pure magic with amazing visuals. I found it very easy on the mind too compared to mushrooms - I could still do lots of stuff and didn't find it overwhelming even when I had very intense visuals
Iv tryed it but at low doses im gona try it again for sure!

H

Iv tryed it but at low doses im gona try it again for sure!

I found 1ft of dark green san pedro(about 3-4 inches across/thick) to be a good dose. Ideally it has taken a while to grow, not a fast growing one thats lighter coloured. Leave it wrapped in paper in a closet for a month or so before you consume it for full effects.

I found 1ft of dark green san pedro to be a good dose. Ideally it has taken a while to grow, not a fast growing one thats lighter coloured. Leave it wrapped in paper in a closet for a month or so before you consume it for full effects.
I remember the one i took was light green. I did alot of research on the subject befor consuming too and never found that information. This is the exact reason i asked the question instead of searching the other threads. Thanks mate!