Kratom Withdrawal

Hey Everyone! I've been a long time lurker and finally made the jump... Anyway, I have a question;

I have been taking "head-shop" quality Maeng Da Kratom capsules, anywhere from 7g-15g a day, spread out over 4 dosings for the past 4 months with an occasional week off (only twice). Previous to this, I have had a long a storied history with opiates/withdrawals/etc. over the course of the past ten years. A few months on, a few months off kind of thing, so by no means am I opiate naive. I have major orthopedic surgery coming up in exactly 15 days (part of the reason I have had such a long history with opiates is because of many prior orthopedic surgeries due to an accident). As of today, I have been off Kratom for 48 hours, and while they feel pretty bad and didn't get much sleep last night, compared to other withdrawals they're bearable. My questions is this; will the amount of Kratom I have been taking interfere with either the pain meds or general anesthesia when I have surgery after being clean for 17 total days prior? Further, will that be enough time to sufficiently lower my tolerance so that after the surgery the medication will be effective?(Not for euphoria, simply pain control)

Thanks for your help!

Hey Everyone! I've been a long time lurker and finally made the jump... Anyway, I have a question;I have been taking "head-shop" quality Maeng Da Kratom capsules, anywhere from 7g-15g a day, spread out over 4 dosings for the past 4 months with an occasional week off (only twice). Previous to this, I have had a long a storied history with opiates/withdrawals/etc. over the course of the past ten years. A few months on, a few months off kind of thing, so by no means am I opiate naive. I have major orthopedic surgery coming up in exactly 15 days (part of the reason I have had such a long history with opiates is because of many prior orthopedic surgeries due to an accident). As of today, I have been off Kratom for 48 hours, and while they feel pretty bad and didn't get much sleep last night, compared to other withdrawals they're bearable. My questions is this; will the amount of Kratom I have been taking interfere with either the pain meds or general anesthesia when I have surgery after being clean for 17 total days prior? Further, will that be enough time to sufficiently lower my tolerance so that after the surgery the medication will be effective?(Not for euphoria, simply pain control) Thanks for your help!
As of today, I have been off Kratom for 48 hours, and while they feel pretty bad and didn't get much sleep last night, compared to other withdrawals they're bearable. - WD after 4 Months should be very bearable - Don't do what I did and used it daily for 3-4 years, WD is sheer evil. Restless Legs and restlessness is what killed me but I now have a few cures: 5-HTP & Aniracatem (Great Combo For Restless legs / Sleeping) and both are legal to get - Benzos like Ativan are even better (but need a script) My questions is this; will the amount of Kratom I have been taking interfere with either the pain meds or general anesthesia when I have surgery after being clean for 17 total days prior? - Yes, I had Brain surgery recently. - General Anesthesia still knocks you on your ass, so no concerns there. Its afterwards the normal morphine doesn't work as well - However, not to worry just keep complaining and they fill you with Dilaudid which works like a charm. Further, will that be enough time to sufficiently lower my tolerance so that after the surgery the medication will be effective?(Not for euphoria, simply pain control) - Yes, if you can get Dilaudid. Oxy's/Vicodine/Percs dont work as well but they still work. I wouldn't worry that much, you will be fine.

As of today, I have been off Kratom for 48 hours, and while they feel pretty bad and didn't get much sleep last night, compared to other withdrawals they're bearable. - WD after 4 Months should be very bearable - Don't do what I did and used it daily for 3-4 years, WD is sheer evil. Restless Legs and restlessness is what killed me but I now have a few cures: 5-HTP & Aniracatem (Great Combo For Restless legs / Sleeping) and both are legal to get - Benzos like Ativan are even better (but need a script) My questions is this; will the amount of Kratom I have been taking interfere with either the pain meds or general anesthesia when I have surgery after being clean for 17 total days prior? - Yes, I had Brain surgery recently. - General Anesthesia still knocks you on your ass, so no concerns there. Its afterwards the normal morphine doesn't work as well - However, not to worry just keep complaining and they fill you with Dilaudid which works like a charm. Further, will that be enough time to sufficiently lower my tolerance so that after the surgery the medication will be effective?(Not for euphoria, simply pain control) - Yes, if you can get Dilaudid. Oxy's/Vicodine/Percs dont work as well but they still work. I wouldn't worry that much, you will be fine.

Thank you so much for your insight! You're very right, I am going to consider myself lucky for stepping away from Kratom now and not having to experience a painful withdrawal. It's been about five days and I'm feeling totally good (excluding severe shoulder pain -- where I'm having the surgery), slept a solid and revitalizing 7 hours last night. I am curious about one thing; because Kratom and opiates are different in structure and action -- can you really translate the tolerance between the two (apples to apples or apples to oranges)? Also -- is there anything I can do now post withdrawal from Kratom to lower any built up tolerance to pain medication before the operation next week? I exercise about 45 minutes every other day, don't drink alcohol often, and eat what I consider to be a relatively healthy diet -- just for a little background. I appreciate your advice to simply say the pain is not in control while in the hospital. My plan is to tell them because I've had four surgeries already on this joint, this being the fifth, I've developed a tolerance to pain meds -- which is the truth anyway. Thanks again for any and all help!

Yes, there is cross tolerance. Kratom is an opioid antagonist. I had brain surgery and right after quite smoking (14 years 1 pack/day), kratom (3-4 years 8 grams/day), and alcohol (14 years 3-5 beers/day). I know for a fact you will be just fine, stay positive. I juiced a lot (Carrots, Broccoli, Beets, blueberry, banana, kale) its gross but helps , ate very healthy. Vitamin B, Vitamin D, Multi, potassium. Ran everyday for an hour. Hated everyone, lol. You will very likely not have any WD after 4/mo.

Yes, there is cross tolerance. Kratom is an opioid antagonist. I had brain surgery and right after quite smoking (14 years 1 pack/day), kratom (3-4 years 8 grams/day), and alcohol (14 years 3-5 beers/day). I know for a fact you will be just fine, stay positive. I juiced a lot (Carrots, Broccoli, Beets, blueberry, banana, kale) its gross but helps , ate very healthy. Vitamin B, Vitamin D, Multi, potassium. Ran everyday for an hour. Hated everyone, lol. You will very likely not have any WD after 4/mo.

THank you very much, if it doesn't come across that way in my posts I am incredibly nervous for this surgery, they're doing a total replacement of the shoulder which is a pretty big deal for someone in their 20's. I realized that I had some *slight* lingering Kratom withdrawal today, mostly just an inability to find as much pleasure in things and the "fog" feeling. It's almost like you're watching your life play out from a window in you head... sounds weird but hard to explain. I as well have a juicer -- I'll fire it up and choke some vitamins and minerals down. I'll up my exercises for the next 11 days and you're right, I'll be fine. THanks again for your help, I shall report back post-op how things went/are going!

I've been using Kratom for about a year now.....totally helps me with alcohol cravings....been to rehab 2X for alcohol but have been not had a drop since I discovered kratom ....just gives me a general sense of well being. Well, I live in Alabama and they have introduced a Bill that would make Kratom a Scheduled 1 drug here, so am trying to mentally prepare myself for the worst possible scenario....no kratom. I definitely do not want to go back to drinking Vodka again ....nearly destroyed my life....so would my best solution be to start tapering down while it's still legal or just quit cold Turkey? Any suggestions or information would be awesome...thanks! And by the way, I am on color code through the court ssystem because of a DUI....but should be finished in about a month.

Last edited:
I've been using Kratom for about a year now.....totally helps me with alcohol cravings....been to rehab 2X for alcohol but have been not had a drop since I discovered kratom ....just gives me a general sense of well being. Well, I live in Alabama and they have introduced a Bill that would make Kratom a Scheduled 1 drug here, so am trying to mentally prepare myself for the worst possible scenario....no kratom. I definitely do not want to go back to drinking Vodka again ....nearly destroyed my life....so would my best solution be to start tapering down while it's still legal or just quit cold Turkey? Any suggestions or information would be awesome...thanks! And by the way, I am on color code through the court ssystem because of a DUI....but should be finished in about a month.

Hey man - you are describing my life EXACTLY. I mean, to the T. Except that I don't live in a state where Kratom is going to be banned. Chronic Kratom use is not sustainable anyway, so perhaps the ban is a blessing in disguise (not for the general public but at least for you, as you suggested you're physically addicted). Taper's require an incredible amount of work and dedication. This is hard for us addicts. Cold Turkey, the first time you do it, is really not that bad from Kratom. You will need about 5-7 days off from work. By day 5 you will be outside again going for walks. By Day 7 you'll be able to return to work. However, each time you get readdicted and quit again it becomes harder to quit. 7 days goes to 10 days, then 15 days, etc.

With that said, and I'm hesitant to tell you this, but there is another solution. If you are even reasonably close to a border of your state, you can drive right across the border to a neighboring state and open a PO box. Then just find a Kratom vendor that ships to a PO Box, which many do, and order in bulk. Make your monthly trip to your PO Box to pick up your giant Box-o-Kratom.

If you are taking oxy for long periods of time and they you begin to take the kratom does this make the withdraws last longer or does it help u get off the opiates im confused on if its a good option or if it will just make things last longer

I stopped Kratom for 40 days and used once (5 grams) and my myoclonic jerks - Restless legs came back. Does this mean whenever I use it, I will have withdrawal symptoms? So annoying as I would like to take it once in a awhile. Happen to anyone else?

You were clean for 40 days and u then went and used 5 grams and hot withdrawals just from that dose?seems like that shouldn't happen just from a single use...

I've been told that restless legs from kratom withdrawal are terrible..is there anything that helps restless legs beside high amounts of benzos?

Hey man - you are describing my life EXACTLY. I mean, to the T. Except that I don't live in a state where Kratom is going to be banned. Chronic Kratom use is not sustainable anyway, so perhaps the ban is a blessing in disguise (not for the general public but at least for you, as you suggested you're physically addicted). Taper's require an incredible amount of work and dedication. This is hard for us addicts. Cold Turkey, the first time you do it, is really not that bad from Kratom. You will need about 5-7 days off from work. By day 5 you will be outside again going for walks. By Day 7 you'll be able to return to work. However, each time you get readdicted and quit again it becomes harder to quit. 7 days goes to 10 days, then 15 days, etc.

With that said, and I'm hesitant to tell you this, but there is another solution. If you are even reasonably close to a border of your state, you can drive right across the border to a neighboring state and open a PO box. Then just find a Kratom vendor that ships to a PO Box, which many do, and order in bulk. Make your monthly trip to your PO Box to pick up your giant Box-o-Kratom.

Or just find someone in another state that is willing to help you out in buying kratom and just sending it to you..obviously u might have to tip them a little.

Kratom Withdraw Story

Hello,

I'm from Malaysia & I'm new to this forum.

Just wanna share you guys my story regarding of my kratom withdrawal.

I do kratom on and off usually 5 days on, and 5 days off.

When I stop, I get typical mild depression and muscle cramp.

I have experience doing kratom straight for 3 months, when I stop, I got very depression and RSL for 3 days. And when I reach 4 days, I just turn back to be normal.

And continue my 5 days on and off routine like usual.

And suddenly because i have some online project that I need to finish it due to dateline, so I have no idea how suddenly I start using kratom again straight for 4 months with zero break.

And now is my days 3 i stop taking it completely. I dont like tapering, because I dont think the pain is too much.

First day I got muscle cramp. And little bit RLS. Usually, for RSL, I do plank exercise for 1-2 minutes, and yes it works for me. The RLS just gone. (my mental still working normal and no depression)

Second day I feel similar, and no depression and soon on. Maybe due to, I stop drinking coffee too. Trust me, the caffeine will make the withdrawal even worse so please stop taking it!

The third day i got mild muscle cramp and almost none RLS. My mood and mental still normal. No depression or what so ever. Maybe because I eat cashew peanuts. Yeh, it make me chill and relax. Maybe some say it will lower my testosterone and increase my serotonin etc that as the result rid the depression.

I also prepare the amethyst stone, onxy stone, (from spiritual perspective) because people say it can prevent you from the addiction and negative thinking. Yes, it sounds placebo, well at least for me it works. :)

For mental craving, sober, or boredom, I spend most of my time watching zombies movies, likes world war Z, 28 days / 28 weeks, like 2-3 movies perday. So my mind keep focusing of the movie instead of kratom or kratom withdrawal.

Seriously I dont think this kratom withdrawal so bad (even though I drink kratom like 2-3 time a days straight for 4 months). I even not miss the kratom anymore since I dint get euphoria from it anymore. I just feel numb head. So it kinda boring though.

That's my story and my tips.

Good luck! :)

There's are all excellent suggestions for people that are going through actual opiate withdrawal LOL if you're just coming off Kratom suck it up and go exercise and you'll feel fine. Smoking weed will suffice those withdrawals perfectly

I swear if I knew somebody that took off work for 5 days because of withdrawal from Kratom I would slap them. I would slap them right in the penis, even if they didn't have one I would find it and slap it. Twice probably!

No sense being judgmental about it. I was addicted to kratom for 7 years. At first the withdrawal wasn't bad but I went through it many times. I was taking it 3-6 times a day at 8-10 grams each time eventually. It got to where withdrawal from it was worse than withdrawal from poppy tea and heroin. God it was horrible, although it was different. I didn't feel like I had the flu like with strong opiates, but instead the restlessness was 100 times worse, seriously it was so bad I wanted to shoot myself in the head because sleep was utterly impossible for 5-7 days, not even a wink. It was my WHOLE BODY, not just my legs. I would lay in bed thrashing all night, I'd punch myself as hard as I could in the legs and arms until my entire leg/arm would go numb, because it would provide about 60 seconds of relief before I started having to thrash them around again. I'd scream and cry and slam myself into walls because of how frustrating and maddening it was. I've withdrawn from heroin too and I preferred it... I'd rather feel like I had the flu than deal with that shit. And they both caused severe, crippling anxiety and depression. Long-term heavy kratom withdrawal is no joke. Like I said, the first few times I withdrew from it, it wasn't that big of a deal, just lasted a few days and was unpleasant. But after a while it became the worst hell I've ever experienced.

ive been struggling with it for a while, tapered from 20g daily (for about 2 years) down to 2.3 (currently) and about to jump off. I had a friend stop by my house recently who swore up and down kundalini yoga got him through his krat withdrawals. I decided fuck it, no one will see me looking dorky and doing mantras so I started doing 30 - 1 hour videos daily of youtube (search "kundalini yoga 30 minutes" or hour or whatever). Sure as shit, that stuff is a potent mood/energy stimulant. I've been doing much better, withdrawals abating and i'm feeling good about jumping off. just my .02

No sense being judgmental about it. I was addicted to kratom for 7 years. At first the withdrawal wasn't bad but I went through it many times. I was taking it 3-6 times a day at 8-10 grams each time eventually. It got to where withdrawal from it was worse than withdrawal from poppy tea and heroin. God it was horrible, although it was different. I didn't feel like I had the flu like with strong opiates, but instead the restlessness was 100 times worse, seriously it was so bad I wanted to shoot myself in the head because sleep was utterly impossible for 5-7 days, not even a wink. It was my WHOLE BODY, not just my legs. I would lay in bed thrashing all night, I'd punch myself as hard as I could in the legs and arms until my entire leg/arm would go numb, because it would provide about 60 seconds of relief before I started having to thrash them around again. I'd scream and cry and slam myself into walls because of how frustrating and maddening it was. I've withdrawn from heroin too and I preferred it... I'd rather feel like I had the flu than deal with that shit. And they both caused severe, crippling anxiety and depression. Long-term heavy kratom withdrawal is no joke. Like I said, the first few times I withdrew from it, it wasn't that big of a deal, just lasted a few days and was unpleasant. But after a while it became the worst hell I've ever experienced.
That sounds terrible, for fuck sake why did i order a half kilo of it : ( Now i feel obligated to take it. I'm in sober living too and i've heard people getting a false positive for methadone while on kratom. So i definitely should not be doing it but i just don't want to return it!

Hi guys, wanted to share my story, since reading yours helped me a lot. And I hope mine could help someone in the same situation.

I have no previous experience with any drug, the hardest drug I've ever tried is pot. I started with Kratom about 4 years ago, as a pain relief for a nasty knee injury. I was bedridden for about 6 months, the pain was unbearable. I didn't have health ins back then, I couldn't afford to see a dr. and I was also terrified from any scripted painkillers. I did had some pot, but it was too expensive to relay on as pain relief. So I looked up some natural remedies to use until my knee gets better. I found Kratom and read a lot about its medical benefits (as a painkiller at least) and the fact it was not physically addicting and is not habit forming and most important - it was (still is where I live) legal and was also affordable (more than a dr. appointment).

So I decided to give it a shot and ordered 2 ounces. I won't lie - it helped, it helped tremendously! The pain was still there, but it didn't bothered me as much, I could sleep, my mood was great and I felt generally better. I used it daily, (about 4 grams a day) sometime more than once a day, only when I needed pain relief. Time went by, my knee healed, I went back to the gym and everything was good. At some point, I felt I don't need it anymore, so I didn't order any. Then the chills came, I was cold all the time, cold sweats and some fatigue, nothing too bad, I would still go to the gym daily, and dismissed those things as 'my body is going crazy or something, it'll pass' - and it did pass after about a week. I never thought it was the Kratom, since I didn't know what WDs are, and I never experienced any.

A few months later, a car accident, I was rear ended (twice) on the freeway, injured my shoulder (not too bad, but bad enough to kill my gym routine and put me in depressed mental state). I got back on Kratom and like before, it helped. But this time, I didn't stop. It was my morning addition to coffee, made my mood (so much!) better and it helped me a lot with work. It was fantastic. I had a few (very short) breaks here and there, had those chills, freezing when everyone around is sweating and cold sweat - but I was too dumb to connect the dots.

In the past two weeks, I've had problem with my cardio at the gym, my heart rate usually climb to 150-170 and I can stay there for 20-25 minutes before I hit the weights. But in the past two weeks, if my heart rate climbed to 110-120, it felt like something very heavy is sitting on my chest and my left arm hurts like my blood vessels are clogged. (keep in mind I eat healthy, I don't smoke, I don't drink and I workout regularly). I decided to take a break from Kratom for a week and see if things improve. They did, after a few days (with no WDs symptoms at all for some reason) my heart rate could work around 150 with minor pain and lighter chest. I knew it was the Kratom. I decided - one last good bye dose and I am kicking this shit out of my life.

Last Saturday, 7am I took 4 grams. Went to the gym in the evening, same heavy chest and arm pain. I thought that's fine, I'll recover in a week. I still didn't know about any WDs since like I've said, I have no drug experience. And on Sunday, 10pm it hit me like a motherf*cking train. First night, I couldn't sleep at all, and the next morning, it felt like flu on steroids, muscle ache was terrible, fever, swollen throat, and the worse headache I can remember, I felt like my brain was going to expload. I've looked up 'Kratom withdrawals' and found this thread that helped me maintain proportions of what I am going thru, because I honestly thought I am dying.

Some of the stories here actually scared the shit out of me, especially the ones who got really bad RLS (which I didn't) and I thankfully, I could get some sleep. I'm 72 hours into WD right now, and while it's not over yet, I think (or hope) I am 90% recovered. I fear depression and anxiety (I have social anxiety since I am almost deaf and it's extremely hard for me to interact with people). I really hope that eating healthy and regular workouts will help with that.

I still have like 3 ounces left which are going to the trash once I fully recover (I have no intentions to ever use this again, unless the only alternative is some hard scripted painkillers).

Kratom is no joke, and I personally think every website or vendor who sells it should warn about the physical consequences of continuous use. I don't believe in making drugs illegal because people should have the right to decide if they want to screw up their life, but for those who don't (like myself) I'd like to be more informed about what I am taking and what could happen if I continue to do so.

Thanks for reading my (too long) story, I am not a native English speaker, so please forgive me if some of it doesn't make sense.

I wish you all the best, and thanks again for making this great helpful thread!

@DogLover123757
Thank you. I know I am very luck for that.

UPDATE: (sorry, it's a little gross)
Day 3 (72 hours in) was pretty good, I went to the movies with my wife and kid, I actually had good time and physical symptoms didn't bother me (still feel very mild body buzz, but it's not very noticeable). When arrived home, I went to the bathroom for #2 - and it was the most painful I've ever had! Literally felt like I am trying to deliver a king size pillow made of metal and broken glass. It came out after a long painful struggle and was bloody (fresh blood, which suggest hurting rectal canal or whatever it's called, which is not a big deal). The pain from that process didn't go until now (about 15 hours). It was a nightmare.

Did anyone else had this kind of hard stool when they stop taking Kratom? I didn't read of any on this thread, I'll guess I'll look around.

At the moment (day 4/96hrs in), I am fasting (only tea and water) for a day or two until I'll feel brave enough to have something that'll make me go... at the moment, I think I am good. I hope that a few days from now all side effects of this dangerous plant will be gone for good.

I am thankful I don't feel any depression or added anxiety or the horrors of RLS. So it's manageable. I hate to lose work days tho. It's been day 3 I am off work because of this. And I am pretty sure I won't go tomorrow either. Oh well. I guess everything comes with a price, and what I am paying is nothing compared to some of the guys and gals here.

Wish you all the best!

How's it been going xtended? Congrats on quitting!! I am also quitting today, been dosing between 20-40 grams Kratom leaf powder a day for about a month. So far it hasn't been too bad, woke up in wd. Just took my last 6-7 grams because I have to meet with my probation officer and don't wanna be sweating and looking like shit in front of him. So far my symptoms have been VERY minor. Some anxiety, sweating, teary eyes and runny nose. Nothing I can't handle. I've kicked Iv heroin many times before so compared to that, this certainly seems doable. Doesn't mean it still sucks tho.
I have a question for anyone who is willing to answer, in what day did your wd symptoms get the worst? Will update later. Thanks everyone, reading this entire thread has given me support to make the jump and quit.