• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Kratom Withdrawal

The only thing I have never been able to escape is the restlessness/lack of sleep. I've tried melatonine, but it never did anything for me. The few hours of sleep I did get throughout the week were due to sheer exhaustion.

Hope I did that right. For me, lack of ability to sleep has been the WORST symptom of withdrawal, no matter what I'm coming off. There's an OTC herbal remedy that's fairly new called "Alteril" that Safeway and Walgreens carries, probably other places. It has melatonin and I think Valerian root, but it also has L-tryptophan, the enzyme in turkey that makes you sleepy after Thanksgiving dinner. As a life-long insomniac, it's been a lifesaver for me. Just trying to help...

Hi everyone I'm new to this.
Wondering, Iv been reading many comments on Kratom use for opioid wd. Also comments on Kratom wd, how its the same as pain med wd, also how it's physically addicting and you have to taper off. So why use it instead of just tapering off pain med? I ask b'cuz I'm concidering using Kratom to get off methadone (down to 30mg a day) I take for pain from kidney disease and birth defects in kidneys. Going to find alternative ways to help the pain. Iv been on pain meds a long time and they just don't help much any more plus I hate how they make me feel. I just want to feel normal again, sick and tired of feeling sick and tired.

Greetings, GLB and Xorkoth, whose posts I am also reading! You are posting about exactly what I'm doing right now, except for me it's Suboxone instead of methadone. Same problem, though--the w/d from both are so long-acting that I can't seem to get past them. I'm actually at a dose of 1/8 of a 2 mg strip every other day, or 1/4 mg 3x per week. My doctor gave them to me for 3 months, and I've run out about a month early. This dose never did really keep me well, and every drop I've taken for the last 6 months, no matter how slow, has put me into full-bore withdrawals.

Since I'd used kratom in the past recreationally, and don't want to get involved in any street drug scene--been out of that for about 20 years and don't miss it!--I ordered some to help fill the holes in the taper. I've discovered that, since it's so much shorter acting, it fills in for those days I don't take Sub. My hope is to use it to get completely off the Sub, then taper off it. At least it's a fast withdrawal, since it's short-acting. I can do anything for 3-5 days, having kicked many habits over the years. It's just that when it goes on and on, with no relief, as the methadone did and the Sub seems to do, it wears me down and I give up. I'll be following your journey with hope.

BTW, I take a prescription drug for restless legs called Requip that helps with sleep. My doctor gives it to me for restless legs, which I always have when I kick anything, but it's also helpful as a sleeper. I also take an OTC herbal called Alteril that's a combo of melatonin and L-tryptophan, the enzyme in turkey that makes you sleepy after Thanksgiving dinner. I'm hoping those will help with the insomnia quitting the kratom. It's definitely helped with the Sub taper. Whenever I can sleep, even a little, life seems more bearable, no matter what else is going on.
Sherry

Last edited:
damn.... I tried kratom ONE time when I was withdrawaling from a small fentanyl and heroin binge I had like 2 summers ago.. It was some pretty weak stuff. People actually get addicted and withdrawals from this stuff???!!! hahahaha.... Seriously guys, You don't know what pure agony and suffering is untill you have had the W/D's from an IV heroin habit, and your connect is out of town for 3 days. Does kratom withdrawal leave you on the bathroom floor in the fetal position in a pool of your own diarrhea shit with goose bumps and throwing up all over yourself?

I've been here, but was able to find a suitable substitute for the short term, so I never shit all over myself. Yes it was pretty miserable. Let's cut this fellow a little slack.

Yeah, addiction boasting/shaming is a fucked up thing to do. I've withdrawn from (non-IV) heroin, oxy, morphine, poppy tea and kratom, and the RLS from kratom was by far the worst even though the sickness and sheer hopelessness isn't as bad. RLS is the thing that I hate the most about withdrawal, I get it naturally sometimes too so I'm prone to getting it really bad. As a kid I had it constantly, almost 100% of the time, I walked around with my toes curled and squeezing all the time inside my shoes. People who haven't had bad RLS don't understand how horrible it is. I'd rather be shitting all the time and sick than not be able to sleep at all for at least a week and feeling like cutting my arms and legs off while I'm trying to sleep. Seriously, I'd punch myself in the legs and arms as hard as I could until they went numb just to feel a tiny bit of relief, and leave gnarly bruises all over myself. Of course, I took kratom a lot more than one time, in fact I took it for 7 years and by the end it was 3-5 times a day.

Greetings, GLB and Xorkoth, whose posts I am also reading! You are posting about exactly what I'm doing right now, except for me it's Suboxone instead of methadone. Same problem, though--the w/d from both are so long-acting that I can't seem to get past them. I'm actually at a dose of 1/8 of a 2 mg strip every other day, or 1/4 mg 3x per week. My doctor gave them to me for 3 months, and I've run out about a month early. This dose never did really keep me well, and every drop I've taken for the last 6 months, no matter how slow, has put me into full-bore withdrawals.

Since I'd used kratom in the past recreationally, and don't want to get involved in any street drug scene--been out of that for about 20 years and don't miss it!--I ordered some to help fill the holes in the taper. I've discovered that, since it's so much shorter acting, it fills in for those days I don't take Sub. My hope is to use it to get completely off the Sub, then taper off it. At least it's a fast withdrawal, since it's short-acting. I can do anything for 3-5 days, having kicked many habits over the years. It's just that when it goes on and on, with no relief, as the methadone did and the Sub seems to do, it wears me down and I give up. I'll be following your journey with hope.

BTW, I take a prescription drug for restless legs called Requip that helps with sleep. My doctor gives it to me for restless legs, which I always have when I kick anything, but it's also helpful as a sleeper. I also take an OTC herbal called Alteril that's a combo of melatonin and L-tryptophan, the enzyme in turkey that makes you sleepy after Thanksgiving dinner. I'm hoping those will help with the insomnia quitting the kratom. It's definitely helped with the Sub taper. Whenever I can sleep, even a little, life seems more bearable, no matter what else is going on.
Sherry
Thanx for the greetings, Well, im still working at it I found that jumping from 30mg methadone to just Kratom was a little too much too fast so I tapered my way to10mg mdone then took a 3 day break from Kratom im scared of having wds from taking it too long with no breaks. Started it again today it does help but I too have RLS with wds very very bad, my arms and legs feel like the muscles r being zapped with electricity. That's what I hate the most out of all the symptoms, that Requip u mentioned works good?
Want to say, during the 3 day break off Kratom after a couple weeks on it, the only thing I had was some insomnia which I have Phenibut for and didnt have to take much thankfully, but then again I still have mdone in my system. I plan to taper off the Kratom too in the end if needed. Best of luck to everyone

The Kratom RLS is no joke man. I love the stuff but when I'm taking a break I have to knock my ass out with retarded amounts of weed and GABA supplements/ L theanine/ Kava, or I'm like pacing around my house or just sitting there in bed fidgeting for hours.

Nicely done RedLeader.

Weekend: I had/have stomach cramps too. I thought I'd picked some bad mushrooms, but maybe it's kratom.

Does anybody have trouble thermoregulating during or after quitting kratom? I mean, I'm in the desert sun on the solstice at high noon wearing a black long sleeved shirt. It's 83 degrees and I'm freezing.

I've been using kratom for about 6 months to "fill in the holes" when my Suboxone taper got so low that I went into withdrawals and stayed there. I didn't drop any more and increased a little bit, but kept on the taper because my doctor wants to retire, and there weren't any other doctors here. I started taking my sub scripts too fast, and after the last script that was for 3 months ran out in a little over one, I couldn't handle the sickness, especially day after day for months, couldn't get any other drugs where I live, and tried kratom. It pulls me out of the worst of the physical symptoms, at least for a few hours--my insomnia, restless legs, muscle spasms, especially in my legs and hands, cravings, and just general sense of listlessness and fatigue were horrendous and just didn't get better for weeks or months.

I used my last dose of sub over a month ago, and haven't had anything to help w/d but kratom, so am glad it helped some. Actually it helped a bunch at first, but I developed a tolerance quickly and had to increase my dose. When I started I was only taking 3 mg twice a day and staying well mostly. A month later I'm taking more than double that and getting no effect except a reduction in some of the symptoms. Still can't sleep, have FLS despite taking a prescription drug, an herbal, and another OTC--at least I don't have the horrible muscle spasms--general feeling of restlessness, irritability, and discontent. And at this higher dose, I'm getting serious nausea and stomach pain. I also get the same thing every time I eat, and have been for a while, at least since I ran out of sub. I have to take a couple of antacids about 30 minutes after I eat or take kratom now. They still work, fortunately.
At first the kratom was OK--I didn't really like the way it made me feel, as it made me edgy and increased my anxiety. It must be different for different people. At least it got me out of bed, which wasn't happening without the Sub.

The question socko asked about temperature regulation I can answer, at least for myself. After I'd been on heroin (my first long-term opiate) for several years, I quit a few times and found that I could no longer regulate my body temperature at all. Then I went on methadone for about 5 years, and after I finally finished kicking that, my ability to control a lot of my body functions, including temperature, was permanently gone. It has never come back, and I don't know how much is from spending decades of my life on one opiate or another, and how much is from other health issues. I have cirrhosis caused by hepatitis C and B.

Personally I think it's just one of the changes that many years of addiction caused in my brain and body. I also can't sleep unless I'm on something, at least suboxone, have terrible anxiety that I can't medicate as my issues with benzos are worse than those with opiates. I have chronic pain in my back--I have a spinal deformity--and my right knee, which was shattered in a car wreck. I didn't have health insurance and it was never properly set; now the surgery it requires is too invasive for my lungs to tolerate. I have end-stage COPD/emphysema and that's another thing. While the opiates, Sub anyway--anything at a moderate dose--don't affect my actual breathing, they keep my anxiety and panic attacks under control, and those things are directly connected to my lung disease. When you can't catch your breath and feel like you're suffocating, that causes anxiety and panic, since it feels like you're going to die, then when the panic attack hits, it makes it even harder to breathe, and becomes a vicious circle.

So, I'm seeing my doctor Monday--I was supposed to see him Dec 11, but asked for an appointment sooner. It means he knows that I went through my sub faster than I should have, but since I'm going to tell him I don't want to taper off any more, but stay on for however long I have left, it doesn't really matter, I guess. A new clinic just opened here, so if he still intends to retire I do have options. I'm hoping to get back on a decent dose of sub so that I don't have to take kratom any more. It really doesn't feel very good any more, not like it did when I started. Not surprising that it builds tolerance quickly, since it's short acting. Originally I intended to go from the long-term sub withdrawal to a kratom withdrawal that would be much quicker, at least. In the end, however, I decided it makes much better since for me to stay on sub. I just hope to hell it's doable...

I was thinking about buying some Valerian root extract, L-tryptophan and melatonin to help me sleep on vacation. Would you advise against using all three together? I was thinking of combining the L-tryptophan (for better mood) with melatonine or Valerian( for sleep). Or would one advise otherwise? What is the best sleep-aid, melatonin or valerian? Will the tryptophan actually help me with mood elevation?
I'm at a point that I'm not taking kratom every day anymore, weed edibles help a lot. But since I wont have those on holiday I would like to try some other stuff to help me sleep. The three mentioned above would be the easiest for me (to order etc.).

Lucid, I take an herbal supplement that helps me sleep that actually has all three of those in it. It's at most big chain drugstores. I'm just thinking that if they weren't safe together, they wouldn't put them into one product. I've never had any issues with taking them together, whether in one product or separately. Personally, I think the most effective is the L-tryptophan, but then the melatonin is safe and pretty effective as well. I can't take benzos or any prescription sleep aids because they all affect my memory. I've been known to forget I've already taken them and then take more. It doesn't happen with the herbal ones.