• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Kratom Mega Thread v. 5

Using kratom is what helped me stop drinking years ago. I need something at the end of the day, but alcohol always seems to get out of hand (for me). I used to drink every day but when I started using kratom I had no desire to drink; I totally lost interest!
Nowadays I might have a beer occasionally, but I never mix the two; mixing seems to give me vertigo. I actually avoid alcohol because it gets on the way of my Kratom use!

I know what you mean.. on hard party nights I still like to drink but it doesn't pull me in as much as it used to. I don't always need something at the end of the day, but I like to have it. It's sort of an indulgence. I have gotten by without having kratom and just drinking chamomile tea at night and reading. But I PREFER to have the kratom and enjoy the free time I have at night.

I think it's the feeling that kratom provides.. it feels more like an end-of-the-night thing than drinking. Drinking makes you hyper and makes it harder to go to sleep afterward. Krat seems to be a natural prelude to sleep..

So I know I already asked this question earlier in the thread but in kind of a different way.

Anyways, the question here this time is, do most people think it would be unlikely for someone to be able to STILL be going through Kratom withdrawal after 4 or more days without dosing AT ALL regardless of how much you were dosing before that??

Today is the 4th day after my last dose which was on Sunday night and it's Thursday night, and I feel MOSTLY fine, just a little emotional.

I know I was going through some mild Kratom WD the past few days but never any flu like symptoms, just some pretty strong depression where I felt like laying in bed a lot, some fatigue and a runny nose.

Now today I am still a little tired with some mild depression.

However, I WAS consuming about an ounce a day, about 3 days a week, 4 MAX but I ALWAYS abstained at least 2 often 3 days a week.

Is it possible that SOO much could have built up in my system that even a 4-5 day break won't get rid of it all??

How much does how much one is dosing play in as a factor in relation to the half life of the substance??

I mean this info below says that Kratom's half life is about 10 hours and in general 5-7 times that should eliminate the metabolites, BUT...what if you are dosing an ounce 3-4 days a week vs 8 grams 3-4 days a week??

How much of a difference would that make in terms of how much longer it would take the guy who uses an ounce for it to leave his system vs the guy who uses 8 grams a day??

Here's the info below I found somewhere online:

"From research, we know that the standard half life of mitragynine is 3.85 ± ~1 hr, depending upon the individuals natural levels of enzymes and other factors. This means that on average 3.85 hours from the moment of absorption, half of the alkaloid is still in one’s body.

While the research has varied, it seems to point to an average half life of 2.5 ± .7 hours. The shorter half-life of this alkaloid describes why some of those who suffer from pain prefer smaller doses more frequently throughout the day, to maintain a constant level of 7-hyroxymitragynine."

So, I plan on abstaining tomorrow also and MAYBE dosing on Saturday afternoon which would be a good 5 1/2 days...approximately 132 hours after my last dose wore off.

So on Saturday is it at all likely I could still be going through withdrawal, and today being day 4, even with dosing an ounce 3-4 days a week, is it possible I could STILL be going through withdrawal or have any Kratom alkaloids/metabolites left in my system???

Last edited:
Isn't an ounce 28 grams ? So if you dose 3-4 * 28 grams it would sum up to 84g-112g a week being (just regarding the weight) equivalent to 12-16g a day. I'd say your dose regimen is slightly less harmful than dosing 12-16g/day but certainly equally or more dependency promoting as dosing your mentioned 8g/day.

As I cannot personally take pleasure of high doses I'd recommend dosing low daily over dosing high every second day if I had to recommend either or the other.

I've found Kratom to be a huge help for me when I take a long break from opiates. I do have issues however with the duration of it. I feel great for an hour or two then feel a bit shaky or woozy. Not the wobbles. Had that and know the difference. I'm wondering if my opiate tolerance is interfering with the Kratom. I usually t&w about 2 teaspoons of my Kratom of choice. Usually a green or white or a blend of both in the day. I use magnesium or turmeric with pepper as a potentiator. Any thoughts on extending duration?

Isn't an ounce 28 grams ? So if you dose 3-4 * 28 grams it would sum up to 84g-112g a week being (just regarding the weight) equivalent to 12-16g a day. I'd say your dose regimen is slightly less harmful than dosing 12-16g/day but certainly equally or more dependency promoting as dosing your mentioned 8g/day.

As I cannot personally take pleasure of high doses I'd recommend dosing low daily over dosing high every second day if I had to recommend either or the other.

Nevertheless, I still don't have a DAILY dependency like posters on here who I've heard can't even get out of bed unless they dose and will literally wake up in the middle of the night ever night in withdrawal needing to dose to fall back to sleep and I wouldn't doubt that some of those people consume FAR less in a day than me but I'd rather be in their situation.

It's the old "binging sporadically vs lower amounts more often" argument with substances.

I'm just wondering if it is still possible to be in withdrawal after 5 days of ZERO use but no one is answering me.

Sekio answered before that he didn't think so, but I am still feeling very emotional and kind of depressed after 5 days without.

No physical symptoms, just some mild depression that I'd like to go away.

Now I'm not planning on COMPLETELY stopping till next month (then I plan on stopping for AT LEAST 6 months) but when I do totally stop, how long do people think it should take for that depression to go away??

I mean if it is completely out of my system shouldn't I not be feeling any depression at all??

Nevertheless, I still don't have a DAILY dependency like posters on here who I've heard can't even get out of bed unless they dose and will literally wake up in the middle of the night ever night in withdrawal needing to dose to fall back to sleep and I wouldn't doubt that some of those people consume FAR less in a day than me but I'd rather be in their situation.

It's the old "binging sporadically vs lower amounts more often" argument with substances.

I'm just wondering if it is still possible to be in withdrawal after 5 days of ZERO use but no one is answering me.

Sekio answered before that he didn't think so, but I am still feeling very emotional and kind of depressed after 5 days without.

No physical symptoms, just some mild depression that I'd like to go away.

Now I'm not planning on COMPLETELY stopping till next month (then I plan on stopping for AT LEAST 6 months) but when I do totally stop, how long do people think it should take for that depression to go away??

I mean if it is completely out of my system shouldn't I not be feeling any depression at all??

It might not have anything to do with physiological effects from the kratom. It's common for people to be depressed without any substance issues, so no, having kratom completely out of your system does not mean you shouldn't be feeling depression. Don't underestimate the psychological effects of substance abuse. If everything is fine and dandy, you probably wouldn't be using drugs on a regular basis. That's often self medication to some degree.

Don't you also use other substances on a regular basis? What makes you think kratom is the culprit here? I would agree with others and say physical kratom WD is extremely unlikely given your infrequency of use and the short half life of kratom's predominant alkaloids. You said yourself that you don't have any physical symptoms, just some mild depression. If I remember, you also take an antidepressant. It's not uncommon for them to lose efficacy over time.

Regardless, there's no way for anyone to say either way with certainty. The only way you can know for sure is by cutting out each substance for an extended period of time. I doubt that's the answer you want, but it's the only way you can be certain.

It might not have anything to do with physiological effects from the kratom. It's common for people to be depressed without any substance issues, so no, having kratom completely out of your system does not mean you shouldn't be feeling depression. Don't underestimate the psychological effects of substance abuse. If everything is fine and dandy, you probably wouldn't be using drugs on a regular basis. That's often self medication to some degree.

Don't you also use other substances on a regular basis? What makes you think kratom is the culprit here? I would agree with others and say physical kratom WD is extremely unlikely given your infrequency of use and the short half life of kratom's predominant alkaloids. You said yourself that you don't have any physical symptoms, just some mild depression. If I remember, you also take an antidepressant. It's not uncommon for them to lose efficacy over time.

Regardless, there's no way for anyone to say either way with certainty. The only way you can know for sure is by cutting out each substance for an extended period of time. I doubt that's the answer you want, but it's the only way you can be certain.

No, the only substances I use every single day, or at least ALMOST every day in the case of Klonopin, are Klonopin, Lexapro and caffeine.

I sometimes skip a day or two of Klonopin here and there or take a half dose certain days but most days I am on between 1.0-2.0mgs of Klonopin so I know it's not the other drugs.

Someone on another drug forum said this regarding why I'd still be feeling withdrawal after it's no longer in my system:

"You have opioid receptors in your brain which kratom targets. When targeted, opioid receptors increase the amount dopamine in the brain, which is why you feel good when taking it. When you are consistently taking kratom, those receptors start to adapt to the increase of opiates (and thereby dopamine) in the brain by downregulating, by decreasing the amount naturally released by your body. So it makes sense that you feel depressed AFTER kratom is out of your system. Your body will upregulate once it realizes that it is lacking the outside source of opiates, but this can take a little while."

I think she is right.

Even once the acute withdrawal is over it doesn't surprise me that some of the receptors could take a little longer to 100% return to normal because they have been thrown out of wack.

Sorry but unfortunately you are wrong in thinking that I am not having any actual Kratom withdrawal.

I DEFINITELY DO have physical withdrawal symptoms, most noticeably surprisingly strong lethargy and fatigue of a sort that I have never experienced when not withdrawing from something or being negatively effected by a drug. I am also usually a lot more horny than I am when I am using Kratom and have a very low libido when using and when I stopped for the last 5 days I noticed it immediately coming back so there is that too.

It's just like normal tiredness, plus I have a somewhat runny nose when withdrawing, am more irritable and have VERY mild muscle aches.

My use is not THAT infrequent at 3-4 days a week and having used 13 out of 30 days last month and an ounce with doses of 18 grams in ONE SITTING is NOT a small amount, most Kratom users will testify to that.

BUT...most of the people on the other forum I've been going to (not sure if we are supposed to mention other drug forums on this site) are saying that with my current usage they believe I'll probably be 100% or close to 100% over all the symptoms after about 2 weeks of zero usage.

My usage is certainly not as bad as most TRUE Kratom addicts since I've never even used more than 4 days in a single week, but since my dosages are high that's a factor.

I'm lucky I have had enough self control not to dose daily, and while my plan is not to PERMANENTLY quit Kratom, I'm gonna take a good long break of AT LEAST 6 months starting within the next few weeks (I just wanna dose a handful of more times before I finally lay it down).

Last edited:
I've watched some videos about tapering off. I'm used to doing krat in the evenings, and when I'm doing it 6+ nights in a row (usually one dose, 3 or 4 teaspoons) I tend to just have antsy cravings at night.. I've had instances where I've felt anxious and stuff, and trouble sleeping. I used chamomile tea to taper off (those sleepy teas), but I am considering doing what the guy on the video said, which was to slowly, day by day, take less and less.

Also, does anyone have the experience where alcohol tends to make the cravings worse? When I'm trying to get off but it's a night of drinking for me, halfway into my first beer I'm already antsy and wanting kratom. Unfortunately, I gave in today ;(

No, the only substances I use every single day, or at least ALMOST every day in the case of Klonopin, are Klonopin, Lexapro and caffeine.

I sometimes skip a day or two of Klonopin here and there or take a half dose certain days but most days I am on between 1.0-2.0mgs of Klonopin so I know it's not the other drugs.

Someone on another drug forum said this regarding why I'd still be feeling withdrawal after it's no longer in my system:

"You have opioid receptors in your brain which kratom targets. When targeted, opioid receptors increase the amount dopamine in the brain, which is why you feel good when taking it. When you are consistently taking kratom, those receptors start to adapt to the increase of opiates (and thereby dopamine) in the brain by downregulating, by decreasing the amount naturally released by your body. So it makes sense that you feel depressed AFTER kratom is out of your system. Your body will upregulate once it realizes that it is lacking the outside source of opiates, but this can take a little while."

I think she is right.

Even once the acute withdrawal is over it doesn't surprise me that some of the receptors could take a little longer to 100% return to normal because they have been thrown out of wack.

Sorry but unfortunately you are wrong in thinking that I am not having any actual Kratom withdrawal.

I DEFINITELY DO have physical withdrawal symptoms, most noticeably surprisingly strong lethargy and fatigue of a sort that I have never experienced when not withdrawing from something or being negatively effected by a drug. I am also usually a lot more horny than I am when I am using Kratom and have a very low libido when using and when I stopped for the last 5 days I noticed it immediately coming back so there is that too.

It's just like normal tiredness, plus I have a somewhat runny nose when withdrawing, am more irritable and have VERY mild muscle aches.

My use is not THAT infrequent at 3-4 days a week and having used 13 out of 30 days last month and an ounce with doses of 18 grams in ONE SITTING is NOT a small amount, most Kratom users will testify to that.

BUT...most of the people on the other forum I've been going to (not sure if we are supposed to mention other drug forums on this site) are saying that with my current usage they believe I'll probably be 100% or close to 100% over all the symptoms after about 2 weeks of zero usage.

My usage is certainly not as bad as most TRUE Kratom addicts since I've never even used more than 4 days in a single week, but since my dosages are high that's a factor.

I'm lucky I have had enough self control not to dose daily, and while my plan is not to PERMANENTLY quit Kratom, I'm gonna take a good long break of AT LEAST 6 months starting within the next few weeks (I just wanna dose a handful of more times before I finally lay it down).

I didn't say you're not having "actual" kratom withdrawal. You said you don't have physical symptoms, so I'm making an educated guess that your mild depression is probably not from physical kratom withdrawal. Your psychology has a chemical basis, and you alter its homeostasis on a daily basis. It sounds a like your use is infrequent enough to avoid any significant physical dependence, but the psychological consequences of affecting that homeostasis are very real and can be even more debiliatating.

Don't forget that our thoughts are rooted in chemistry. Depression is a psychological problem, but it's a very real one.

I feel you scarlet. I get that problem with alcohol vs almost any drug that I have. I tend to not even drink these days. Pregabalin is amazing for sleep without kratom if you can get it.

I don't know if you could replace kratom with kava to get off, but I find that I can use a much lower kratom dose with kava. Kava has little to no physical dependency issues IMHO

I didn't say you're not having "actual" kratom withdrawal. You said you don't have physical symptoms, so I'm making an educated guess that your mild depression is probably not from physical kratom withdrawal. Your psychology has a chemical basis, and you alter its homeostasis on a daily basis. It sounds a like your use is infrequent enough to avoid any significant physical dependence, but the psychological consequences of affecting that homeostasis are very real and can be even more debiliatating.

Don't forget that our thoughts are rooted in chemistry. Depression is a psychological problem, but it's a very real one.

Yeah that makes sense.

I DO think SOME of the depression issues are from Kratom, but I also have depression even when I am sober and have some shit to be unhappy about, so it all factors in.

Kratom Withdrawal

Hi all,
I have been using Kratom for around a month now to deal with chronic back pain. My dosing hasn't been exactly consistent but on average I'd say 15grams a day. Now I'm looking to stop as the Kratom has seriously effected my performance in the gym (and bedroom). I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with Kratom withdrawal and could give me some idea of what I'm in for and what the best way to do it would be.

I think you will be fine, it's only been a month. Just start to taper down over the next couple of weeks, and then just stop using. You probably will have a very minor withdrawl if any even if you went CT. I was on some heavy opiates for about two months after surgery and just stopped and didn't have a problem. I am now a year into prescribed Roxi and morphine as I am a CPP and I just started Kratom and it is helping me taper. Did you use opiates before the Kratom? If so that might change things Some as far as withdrawl.

taper down and extend the time in between doses, you wont have too bad a time after only a month

Hi all,
I have been using Kratom for around a month now to deal with chronic back pain. My dosing hasn't been exactly consistent but on average I'd say 15grams a day. Now I'm looking to stop as the Kratom has seriously effected my performance in the gym (and bedroom). I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with Kratom withdrawal and could give me some idea of what I'm in for and what the best way to do it would be.

I merged your thread with the megathread. :)

I feel you scarlet. I get that problem with alcohol vs almost any drug that I have. I tend to not even drink these days. Pregabalin is amazing for sleep without kratom if you can get it.

I don't know if you could replace kratom with kava to get off, but I find that I can use a much lower kratom dose with kava. Kava has little to no physical dependency issues IMHO

Thank you.. I know there are supplements I could take to help me sleep. I am going off kratom due to a forced stop.. well, a needed stop anyway. I had not ordered previously and now I have to wait about a week for it to come (barring Canada Post stoppage). I may go out and grab a bag for 25$ to enjoy on the weekend, but generally speaking that's still a 4 days break (which is longer than anything I have done currently). I am drinking a bunch of chamomile tea and am now enjoying some YouTube meditation music :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrENKpyXvl4&list=PLQV40q_WSGWfeTI_2XZ-vxDZzM9RJTLso&index=31

Last edited:
Even though I've been on this forum for a while I still don't know the answer to this question: are we allowed to mention other forums we got information off of by name??

I ask because I've never seen anyone do it, but I know we aren't allowed to post vendors.

I am about to start a new thread on Kratom risks but I'm leaving out the name of the other forum I read about them on unless a mod comes in here and says it's ok.

I took a day off yesterday and slept OK... but my moods were on / off and I had an antsy / anxious feeling today until I did it again. I am pretty sure I've got a problem with it :( I can definitely go a night without doing it, but I start to feel weird, almost like I'm getting a fever or I'm high on weed or something. The world just seems strange and different, probably because my night time consciousness is so used to krat. :( Binaural beats helped me last night, with some meditation.

I may look into getting the valerian root in order to help me on off days or if I need to do a serious break for some reason... the chamomile only did the trick after 6 or so teabags.

I don't want to scare anyone, as I also LOVE Kratom, but I've started going to the Reddit "quitting Kratom" forum (It's NOT against the rules to mention other forums is it???? DELETE IT IF IT IS MODS AS I'VE NEVER HEARD OF SUCH A RULE") and I've heard some shit that has scared me.

I'm going to be taking a LONG BREAK after I enjoy it about ten more times LOL...I don't plan on quitting FOREVER, but these people are talking about hair loss and hormonal changes and I'd like to hear from long term users and their opinions on this:

These are some posts from over there about people losing their hair, adrenal and hormonal problems that I NEVER heard mentioned on bluelight. I don't know why some people would experience them on another forum with NO ONE mentioning them here.

It should be interesting to see how one forum responds to the different culture/reactions from another, so here they are:

"When I was abusing Kratom I lost half of my hair. I'm a female in her 30s with zero history of hair loss on both sides of my family. When I stopped using Kratom 11 months ago, my hair started growing back when I was about 60 days clean. My hair has not recovered completely, but it's so much better and continues to get better.
I have no scientific evidence to back this up, but I really think Kratom wreaks havoc on our glands and hormones."

"Congratulations on two days off!! I totally feel your pain with the hair loss. After about 6 months of regular use, my hair has started falling out more. I see it in the drain and all over my clothes, when I never noticed it before. Especially since i'm only a 24 year old female, and all my blood work showed up normal."

"I've been using Kratom for 9 months daily. I started from 2g per dose 3x a day (1-5 months) to 8-12g once a day(last 3.5 months). I recently cut my hair and noticed my scalp is more exposed in two areas of my head. I've never experienced any kind of drastic hair loss prior to this. I seriously feel like this must have started just within the last couple of months.
Does Kratom affect thyroid or adrenal fatigue in some people? There is such an overwhelming amount of information on hair loss that I figure I try this place for some input since this is the only thing that I've added to my lifestyle in the last 9 months or so."

"First, I think that USING kratom causes adrenal fatigue, not quitting kratom. I believe that my body is now repairing itself now that I've quit. Regarding post quitting symptoms of adrenal fatigue, I was referring to hair loss, acne and constipation issues, NOT actual fatigue!!! Adrenal fatigue occurs when your adrenal gland is overstimulated, which I believe kratom does. Emotionally and physically I feel 1000x better since I've quit kratom. I'm really happy and optimistic. Much less tired than I was on kratom. Sleeping better than ever. Anxiety is at zero, when I was taking Kratom I was having panic attacks with increasing frequency. Again, I think adrenal fatigue is what happens when you are using kratom, not after you quit.
So I've been doing a lot of research and it seems like most of the negative effects I experienced with Kratom can be largely attributed to its effect on the adrenal gland (low blood pressure, shakes, hormonal acne, hair loss, panic attacks, weird adrenaline rushes when falling asleep etc etc).

"I, too, visited with an endocrinologist earlier this year when I just didn't feel like myself after nearly 9 months of daily kratom. My tests showed a significant drop in free testosterone. My libido has not been the same since I started back up on kratom May 2015."

"Yes, I've experienced a lot of those symptoms and I believe Kratom wreaks havoc on our glands and hormones. It made my thyroid go psycho. But unfortunately even though I was symptomatic, nothing showed up on the blood work. I was discussing this with another quitter yesterday. It seems this stuff puts some of us in adrenal fatigue and affects the thyroid. I'm glad your going to the doctor. Hopefully you'll be able to get to the bottom of this.
For the most part, all of my symptoms have cleared up since quitting. I'm 11 months kratom free, but my hormones/glands aren't quite back to normal yet. Take care and keep us posted! :)"

"It was thinning out all over as best I could tell. I've got really thick, curly hair so it can be hard to tell, but I didn't notice any bald spots. About 5 months of daily use, I started to notice more hair shedding than normal like in the shower or when I brushed it. Then it got really noticeable. Scary noticeable. I'd brush my hair once, and fill the entire brush with hair.
During this time I went to the doctor and had a bunch of tests run on my thyroid and hormones. Nothing showed up. But I have since learned that some of those tests aren't very accurate. I have a friend who has Graves Disease. It's an autoimmune disorder that attacks the thyroid and makes it go haywire. It took her 15 years to get it properly diagnoised. The reason I bring this up is not to be surprised if you get the tests and they come back normal. That's what happened to me even though I hit almost all of the major symptoms of a thyroid disorder."

Hmm. Unfortunately this information is not very significant, as only one of those quotes contains a dose regimen. Considering the homogeneity of the reports, I suspect a bad vendor/charge as the main culprit of those adverse effects.

However, it should be common sense, that Kratom also contains adrenergic modulators. I personally cannot confirm any of those mentioned symptoms despite a short-term drop in testosterone. It seems, that the majority of the persons, that complained about hair-loss are female. Perhaps Kratom has adverse effects on the progesterone/estrogene - balance in a more draconian manner and hence females are more likely to experience undesired (long-term) effects.