• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Just tried xanax first time..what gives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
didn't i just state all this? it was assumed because of their different chemical structure that they weren't as addictive benzos, however since the nonbenzodiazepines have been around for a while (since the early 90s) it is now known that their short half life and their selectivity as GABA PAMs makes them just as addictive as benzos and comparable in addiction potential to stuff like triazolam and midazolam. they're bad news and i seriously recommend a taper with a long acting benzo like diazepam, oxazepam or clonazepam.
if you can none of these phenazepam will do too, if you manufacture a propylene glycol solution. i hope ths helps.

Ok well I've only been on xanax for a week, I gotta admit that I ended up doing pretty high doses as i didn't find it affected me much. I did 4mg/ night, sometimes 7. Mixed with zopi.
this was purely to knock me out, id given up on gaining euphoria by then.

Am I still at risk of bad withdrawels of benzos now if i stop then.

Its my birthday today so I'll be celebrating a bit but wont be going near booze. Prolly doing some codiene at most at then using my last fewxanax to help sleep tonight with a few zopi.

Is a zopi withdrawel bad?

I've gone a few days without zopi,when I ran out and didn't really get that bad w/d's , perhaps lots of restlelesness and of course chronicinsomnia.

Do I really need to taper the benzos as I've only taken them for a week. .

I don't intend getting anymore. Except temazepam as I've stated before, my fave sleeping pill.

well yeah phenazepam can really fuck you up if you get pure powder (as it's usually sold). but i don't see why a phenazepam taper in a solution wouldn't work. it has a very long half life and if he slowly tapers off, why shouldn't it work? i'm not putting you down tricomb, i'm genuinely curious. i did some really stupid shit when i eyeballed doses of phenazepam, but once i had a propylene glycol solution, which i made out of the aforementioned solvent and mineral water and vodka, the doses were clear (2mg per ml) and easy to dose with a 1ml syringe, and then it was helpful. if phenazepam is not suited for a taper please correct me.
edit: addiction to nonbenzodiazepines means at the same time addiction to benzos. they're interchangeable. it's like arguing that addiction to vodka doesn't equal addiction to scotch.

Phenazepam is not something I would ever advise anyone do under any circumstances. If worst comes to worst, people should see the proper medical care they need and get a prescription for diazepam for a proper taper. As far as I'm concerned to the majority of users, it has no therapeutic value whatsoever and should be avoided. Yes, in a pinch it can be used by **experienced** users, but honestly there is no reason not to just taper with something easier like diazepam.

Z-Drug withdrawals are a total nightmare... Did you really not research this before signing yourself up for your current level of addiction? Better late than never I suppose. It's really a big deal man... If you abruptly discontinue these drugs then you're putting your life at risk, the withdrawals from benzodiazepines and drugs that work on the same GABA receptors like Z-drugs, can result in seizures that can be fatal. This is why you absolutely must taper down and never abruptly discontinue these medications. Take these drugs seriously with the respect they deserve.

You do not want to be in the bathroom, have a seizure, fall to the floor and hit your head on the porcelain sink or toilet on your way down, it's HIGHLY dangerous. Or god forbid you're behind the wheel of a car.

Even though you've only been taking the xanax for a week, I would be tapering down, even if it's a rapid-taper, because the amount of alprazolam you've been taking is insane.

Last edited:
I didn't realize it was so dangerous. Although I've never had a seizure before. Went 3 days with no zopi once and was just feeling like crap due to no sleep, and irritable, but I'll try tapering.
After getting benzos out of my system.

What's a ffast taper?
I only have 5 or so 1 mg xanax left. I had bought more but I've already soldthem:) do I take one or two a night then?

Honestly this site has ben a go send for me. You guys are terrific !

Try to use those xanax to taper, you could take 1mg a day in split doses, like if you have 1mg pills, cut them in half where they're scored and take 0.5mg morning and 0.5mg taken at night. Then after a couple days, reduce your dose to 0.5mg a day, with 0.25mg morning and 0.25mg taken at night.

3 days into cold turkey withdrawal is usually when you're begin to reach a dangerously high risk of seizures.

I look forward to seeing you get down to reasonable dosages so that you can really help improve your insomnia! It's going to be hard to make progress with your insomnia until you cut out all these extra sleeping pills, but if you set your mind to it you can beat this addiction.

Great advice from Tricomb. He (I assume Tricomb is a guy for some reason) knows his stuff when it comes to benzo addiction and dependency. You've got people on here looking out for you, Antagonistix, who would like to see you get out of a very risky situation while it's still relatively early on (with the benzos, at least - the stomach damage from ibuprofen is a worry).

Obviously I don't know your background and motives, but basically whatever it is you're dealing with is going to come back ten-fold IF you get too far into those hypnotic sedatives. You'll have rebound insomnia and anxiety which is a few notches up from your current state, and you'll be in a worse position to deal with the original issues. I really can't see any therapeutic potential in using them long term (even mid-term), or in abusing them.

I've used stuff before to knock myself out. I know sometimes you just want to stop your mind and turn off the world. The problem is that you wake up later and it's all still there, and often it's worse for having been neglected.

The other problem is that you may not wake up at all if you take too much (not as hard to do as it may seem, especially given that people frequently redose on benzos without remembering it), and then there'll be no chance of a resolution to things which may have been fixable.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Great advice from Tricomb. He (I assume Tricomb is a guy for some reason) knows his stuff when it comes to benzo addiction and dependency. You've got people on here looking out for you, Antagonistix, who would like to see you get out of a very risky situation while it's still relatively early on (with the benzos, at least - the stomach damage from ibuprofen is a worry).

Obviously I don't know your background and motives, but basically whatever it is you're dealing with is going to come back ten-fold IF you get too far into those hypnotic sedatives. You'll have rebound insomnia and anxiety which is a few notches up from your current state, and you'll be in a worse position to deal with the original issues. I really can't see any therapeutic potential in using them long term (even mid-term), or in abusing them.

I've used stuff before to knock myself out. I know sometimes you just want to stop your mind and turn off the world. The problem is that you wake up later and it's all still there, and often it's worse for having been neglected.

The other problem is that you may not wake up at all if you take too much (not as hard to do as it may seem, especially given that people frequently redose on benzos without remembering it), and then there'll be no chance of a resolution to things which may have been fixable.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

The stomach problem has left me with a rare kidney disease where i have to take potassium and other suppliments to stay reasonably ok. However, the intestinal issues I had, ie peritonitis, nearly killed me. Apparently xxxonly 5 or so % of people survive that.

I've posted a short biography in the introductions sections if you're curious, but basically I've been using and abusing since i was a young student at London unit. God knows how i graduated with honours!

I really do have serious issues at the moment and crave escasimas much as possible, but I guess the drugs will make the owners from any highs magnify those.

When im a bluelighter perhaps and made some friends on here I'll tell you more of my particular situations.

I really do need sleep though, for health reasons as well as to avoid restless nights worrying about the shot going on around me as everything goes to pot.

But, I will definately get off the benzos. Hate them already. Don't know why so many people rate them.

try promethazine for sleep. it's easy to get prescribed as it's an antihistamine with zero abuse potential. and a dose of 100mg or so will knock me straight out. and yeah a taper, even an abrupt one is better than no taper at all. long acting benzos are best for this, and an oral solution of diazepam especially.

I believe that at doses over 100mg promethazine acts as an antipsychotic.

didn't i just state all this? it was assumed because of their different chemical structure that they weren't as addictive benzos, however since the nonbenzodiazepines have been around for a while (since the early 90s) it is now known that their short half life and their selectivity as GABA PAMs makes them just as addictive as benzos and comparable in addiction potential to stuff like triazolam and midazolam. they're bad news and i seriously recommend a taper with a long acting benzo like diazepam, oxazepam or clonazepam.
if you can none of these phenazepam will do too, if you manufacture a propylene glycol solution. i hope ths helps.

Who said that triazolam and midazolam have a special addiction potential above that of other benzos? Did you just make that up?
Benzos are all pretty much equal in addiction potential, but anecdotal evidence suggests that temazepam may be the most habit forming of the known benzos (certain pharmacokinetics of temazepam back this up).

In anycase, no the z-drugs have relatively mild affinity to the GABA (A) subunit alpha 1 receptor compared to virtually all hypnotic benzos (temazepam, triazolam, lormetazepam, nitrazepam, flunitrazepam, etc). Benzos are unselective in the receptors they activate and they are generally stronger modulators of the alpha 1 subunit of the GABA (A). This is fact. This makes benzos more addictive.

So your theory of z-drugs being equally addictive doesn't hold water.

Trying to acheve euphoria through benzos' is just an all around waste of your time...

short acting benzos are more addictive than long acting benzos and short acting hypnotics are more addictive than short acting anxiolytics (not that there are any).
also saying benzos are unselective in their receptor selectivity is pure bullshit.

alprazolam is a pretty short acting anxiolytic, isn't it?

I also think that temazepam is also the most addictive benzodiazepine based on tons of research I've read and the experiences of many benzo addicts I've known. I love temazepam though despite it having higher toxicity ratings than other benzodiazepines, it's retained amazing efficacy for a benzodiazepine for me and I've been taking it for most of my life.

Trying to acheve euphoria through benzos' is just an all around waste of your time...

this.

but it's not as short acting as triazolam and midazolam are... in fact the half life is about twice as long.

I reckon one of the main reasons xanax can feel euphoric is if u do have anxiety or are really stressed
, in the times I've taken Xanax whilst really depressed or anxious or stressed , it wipes it away and that makes me feel amazing , specially with a few cones . Although 50% of the time it's made me carefree and more depressed so I start making phone calls etc ... Always ends out pretty fuckin bad lol . And don't drink unless u really can keep it to 1 or 2 , always ends out bad , I'm such a hypocrite saying that cause usually I'll pop a Xanax and walk to the bottle shop lol . It's a nice mix in moderation but I've done some terrible shit drinking on zannys .

As for the nurofen , seriously don't ever take them again without a CWE . It's a 10 minute procedure and can be done with household items . I hate even taking ibuprofen or paracetamol occasionally cause I feel like I'm destroying my insides lol .

this is terrible HR advice, but benzos are usually euphoric on their own.

3 MGS of xanax, you will be asleep into the afternoon knocked the hell out in my expirence.

this is terrible HR advice, but benzos are usually euphoric on their own.

Tip: If you are on a harm reduction forum and you find yourself starting a sentence along the lines of "this is terrible harm reduction advice, but..." then don't finish the sentence.

Tip: If you are on a harm reduction forum and you find yourself starting a sentence along the lines of "this is terrible harm reduction advice, but..." then don't finish the sentence.

This.

This thread has just about ran it's course.

@OP contact me if you have any further questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.