• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

John C Lilly appreciation thread.

fastandbulbous said:
If people keep mentioning synchronicities to me I pretty quickly put them in the fruit-loop category!

Don't you see the synchronicity in the fact that people keep mentioning it to you tho ?

It's like they're trying to communicate something to you perhaps ;)

I mean you can't avoid the truth forever F & B. =D

Please DON'T search for my thread entitled Synchronicity then

Alrighty then :)

BUT if you have a link I'll read it - I'm a big fool for such new age superstitions

dont know Mr. Lilly but i sure do like my Ketamine butt shots.

The Wizard said:
I wonder whether John Lilly tried any of the following drugs and what he would think of them:

Salvia divinorum, DMT, Ayahuasca, Amanita muscaria, Ibogaine, DXM

I've only ever read of Lilly using LSD, Ketamine and PCP. What all else have you guys heard of him dabbling in?

He'd be my candidate for trying out something really weird like bulbocapnine - a paralysing psychedelic with a very dark side (don't think anybody has though other than a few prisoners who were subjected to it by some evil psychology prof!)

fastandbulbous said:
He'd be my candidate for trying out something really weird like bulbocapnine - a paralysing psychedelic with a very dark side (don't think anybody has though other than a few prisoners who were subjected to it by some evil psychology prof!)
thats sound oddly interesting.

Bulbocapnine is an alkaloid found in Corydalis and Dicentra, herbs in the family Fumariaceae that can cause fatal poisoning in sheep and cattle. It has been shown to act as an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor,[1] and inhibits biosynthesis of dopamine via inhibition of the enzyme tyrosine hydroxylase.[2][3]

According to the Dorlands Medical Dictionary, it "inhibits the reflex and motor activities of striated muscle. It has been used in the treatment of muscular tremors and vestibular nystagmus"[4]. The psychiatrist Robert Heath carried out experiments on prisoners at the Louisiana State Penitentiary using bulbocapnine to induce stupor.[5].

The author William Burroughs references the drug in his book Naked Lunch, where the fictional Dr. Benway uses it to induce obedience in torture victims.

E. M. Bogomolova1, 2 and M. N. Konovalov1, 2
(1) Institute of Psychiatry, AMN SSSR, Moscow
(2) Medico-Biological Department, All-Union Scientific Research Institute of Therapeutic and Aromatic Plants, Moscow

Received: 10 September 1963
Summary Experiments were carried out on cats with electrodes implanted into the cortex and subcortex. A study was made of the effect produced by bulbocapnine on behavior and cerebral electrical activity. The motor effects included catalepsy and stupor, there were also sympathetic, parasympathetic, and emotional disturbances. The electrical changes occurred simultaneously in the cortex and the subcortex, and represented an activation. There was a marked increase in the cerebral responses to external stimuli, including rhythmic stimuli. We concluded that bulbocapnine exerts a central effect of a global nature and that both the sensory and motor elements of the cortex and subcortex are involved.
(Presented by Active Member AMN SSSR N. N. Zhukov-Verezhnikov) Translated from Byulleten'' Éksperimental''noi Biologii i Meditsiny, Vol. 59, No. 2, pp. 64–69, February, 1965

B9 said:
Don't you see the synchronicity in the fact that people keep mentioning it to you tho ?

It's like they're trying to communicate something to you perhaps ;)

I mean you can't avoid the truth forever F & B. =D...

...BUT if you have a link I'll read it - I'm a big fool for such new age superstitions

I had you pegged as a fruit loop a long, long time ago, so mentioning synchronicities was sort of expected! =D

There will always be wackos who take drugs, then conduct goofy experiments and write the sorts of books that make scientists wince. This is an unfortunate truth that we simply must face.

Such people and their embarrassing theories are incredibly harmful to those of us who choose to self-administer psychoactive drugs (particularly psychedelics) for recreational and/or introspective reasons.

Understandably, people who are largely unfamiliar with these chemicals and their effects hear bizarre theories such as those presented by nuts like Leary, Alpert, Strassman, McKenna and many others (including talking dolphin guy), and they think "Wow, these drugs make people really fucking stupid!"

Thank goodness for intelligent, lucid scientists like Alexander Shulgin and the late Aldous Huxley. If we didn't have people like them on our side, the authorities would probably hunt us all down with nets - assuming that we, like our unofficial spokesmen, are completely twisted from our drug use.

Hell, the stigma has even worked it's evil magic on me: The only paranoia that grips me when I use psychedelic drugs is the occasional lingering fear that I might start babbling about the space aliens who live among us, my inner light and oneness potential, DMT pixies, or some other immature fantasy.

So far, I've managed to keep it together...

Peacelove,
Aldousage

Aldousage said:
There will always be wackos who take drugs, then conduct goofy experiments and write the sorts of books that make scientists wince. This is an unfortunate truth that we simply must face.

Such people and their embarrassing theories are incredibly harmful to those of us who choose to self-administer psychoactive drugs (particularly psychedelics) for recreational and/or introspective reasons.

Understandably, people who are largely unfamiliar with these chemicals and their effects hear bizarre theories such as those presented by nuts like Leary, Alpert, Strassman, McKenna and many others (including talking dolphin guy), and they think "Wow, these drugs make people really fucking stupid!"

Thank goodness for intelligent, lucid scientists like Alexander Shulgin and the late Aldous Huxley. If we didn't have people like them on our side, the authorities would probably hunt us all down with nets - assuming that we, like our unofficial spokesmen, are completely twisted from our drug use.

Hell, the stigma has even worked it's evil magic on me: The only paranoia that grips me when I use psychedelic drugs is the occasional lingering fear that I might start babbling about the space aliens who live among us, my inner light and oneness potential, DMT pixies, or some other immature fantasy.

So far, I've managed to keep it together...

Peacelove,
Aldousage

Great post, you've just inspired me to read 'Brave new world' ! :)

^And the doors of perception and heaven and hell too :)

Of the folks Aldous mentioned, I do have a lot of time for the McKenna's brothers, obviously Terence is probably more admired by me, simply for his ability to tell a good story. Take the contents with a grain of salt, and just listen to him speak about, basically, fiction.

I would like to dismiss entity-contact, 'psychic' phenomena (telepathy, telekinesis), The Void, Third Eyes, the OM vibratory tone...but my experiences have actuallt taken me to visually see and interact with these things; there is a lot more to the world then we know, and I feel psychedelics can give us a glimpse of the Order within Chaos. Or something...

I actually think that Huxley came up with the best one-liner description of the psychedelic state: An infinite complexity of significance (it's to be found somewhere in 'The Doors of Perception where he's on about seeing hte world the way Adam did on the day of creation)

Short, sweet and says it all...

^ yeah, he looks down at his flannel trousers and writes 'Those folds! - what a labyrinth of endlessly significant complexity! I was seeing what Adam had seen on the morning of his own creation - the miracle, moment by moment, of naked existance' %)

^Best of all, all of this was revealedd by, as you say, folds in trousers. Truly psychedelic :D