View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

John C Lilly appreciation thread.

LordKrishna

Ex-Bluelighter
It has been discussed privatively but the consensus of those involved in the discussion is that the majority of the PD forum are closet k-tard when given the chance. So I have taken it upon my self to organize and create the high priest of ketamine's own thread. The late John C Lilly. A man who started his career by trying to talk to dolphins moved up to the as he put it unpredictable LSD and finally settled in his nook as one of the first, if not the first public K-tard.

He also designed our modern day isolation tanks, died twice from taking ketamine in the bathtub the last and final time he did not return.

theres more, but whats the fun in taking all the credit. So go on and say a few words about our friend John C Lilly.

PS. ECCO is calling. ;)

i have read this now three times and still have not understood the meaning of it

John C Lilly is a medical doctor who did allot of work with dolphins, brains, mental states, and the mind. In the 30s he was doing experiments with altered states, so by the 60's he was a veterain to the psych game. when psychedelic research came about he naturally jump aboard to further his own research into consciousness. He created the isolation/deprivation tank. He originally started using LSD but found the effects to be too sporadic to continuely go to the same place (have the same experience basically). He then eventually found ketamine and for god, I guess 40 years used ketamine and his isolation tank to bring us many great discovery's albiet a few are kinda wild about our own consciousness. He was the first to suggest about meta programming of the biological computer.

He's written many book and has had two movies made about his life, one being the cult classic "Altered States.

If I remember correctly he even got a dolphin one time to talk in the English language. Im actually re reading about his work right now.

On sept 30th 2001 he died in a bathtub while on ketamine. he simply slipped into teh tub and drowned. This happen once before in his life in a hot tub I think but his friend or wife found him before he died. Any way you try to cut it, the man was a k-tard. He battled with ketamine addiction for a good part of his life.

well anyways allot of his accomplishments can be found here http://www.johnclilly.com/ I forgot where but I think he once approached the government about "mental threats" these negative thought forces which where trying to steer the course of humanity. Im searching for that right now because its kinda funny imaging this k-tard ranting about mental forces trying to destroy our way of life. Im not knocking the guy for any of this, he is up there in my top 5 hero's. And Im not discrediting his discoveries either A quote of his from "the human bio computer" fits my beliefs about his beliefs

In the province of the mind, what one believes to be true is true or becomes true, within certain limits to be found experientially and experimentally. These limits are further beliefs to be transcended. In the mind, there are no limits... In the province of connected minds, what the network believes to be true, either is true or becomes true within certain limits to be found experientially and experimentally. These limits are further beliefs to be transcended. In the network's mind there are no limits.

Last edited:
wow, until now i have never heard of this guy. his works sound really interesting, i will definitely check out that link sometime when my brain is less fried.

well read this, its a conversation excerpt

DJB: Right. So this work with the dolphins, how did it influence your experiences with ketamine in the isolation tank?

JOHN: Well, I discovered that dolphins have personalities and are valuable people. I began to wonder about whales which have much larger brains, and I wondered what their capabilities are.

There's a threshold of brain size for language as we know it, and as far as I can make out it's about 800 grams. Anybody below that, like the chimpanzee or the gorilla can't learn to speak a language. But above that language is: acquired very rapidly, as in a baby. Well, this means that the dolphin's life is probably as complicated as ours. But what about their spiritual life? Can they get out of their bodies and travel? Are they extraterrestrials? I asked those kinds of questions. Most people wouldn't ask them.

So I took ketamine by the tank at Marine World in Redwood City. I got in to the rank and I had a microphone near my head and an underwater speaker that went down into the dolphin tank. My microphone hit their loudspeaker under water. So I waited. Then I began to feel that I was in direct contact with them and as soon as I felt that one of them whistled, a long whistle, and it went from my feet right up to my head. I went straight out of my body. They took me to the dolphin group mind. Boy, that was scary! I shouted and carried on. I said, "I can't even handle one dolphin, much less a group mind of dolphins!"

So instead of that they put me into a whale group mind and when you have an experience like that, you realize that some of the LSD experiences may have been in those group minds, not in outer space at all. Since then I suspect that they're all ready to talk and carry on with us if we were not so blind. So we open up pathways to them with ketamine, with LSD, with swimming with them, with falling in love with them and them falling in love with us. All the non-scientific ways.

DJB: Have you ever given ketamine to a dolphin?

JOHN: No. I gave them acid to see if it would knock out their respiration. It didn't. I couldn't understand what was happening to them on LSD except for one thing they did. They turned around along the tank at the same time, and suddenly they turned their beaks down and turned on their sonar straight downwards. I remember on my first acid trip that suddenly the floor disappeared and I saw the stars on the other side of the earth, so I stamped my foot on the floor to find it. That's what they were doing.

Also, the dolphin Pam had been spear-gunned three limes by Ricco Browny in the "Flipper" series. The first time, Pam went over to Browny and pulled the spear from him. The second time, she took one look at him and turned away. The third time she ran like mad and wouldn't go near him or any humans. It was just awful. So when we got her she was staying away from us with the other dolphins. So I gave her LSD and she climbed all over us. It was marvelous.

Boy, I've been trying to stop talking about dolphins. I was enslaved by them for twenty years and now I'm trying to avoid them for a while. But I can't. People like you come out and remind me of them.

I could have sworn he gave LSD toa dolphin, and yep he did.

as I said, he is up there in my top 5 hero's. this includes my spiritual deities as well.

Lilly's obituaries say that he died of heart failure; you must be thinking of D. M. Turner, who did in fact drown in a bathtub on Ketamine.

Lilly almost died in a swimming pool, however.

And yes, he is the Ketamaster.

"Some people take K in small doses more or less continuously. John Lilly did, except his doses weren't small." - Dale Pendell

you sure? I could have sworn he died in LA in a bathtub on ketamine.
and I dont think D.M. Tuner died. I think he just killed his alias but thats not for this thread.

but I could be wrong.

and yeah, I identify with his ketamine usage. which is why I cant help but mainline ketamine over and over again. something is so attractive about that state that I just cant seem to stay focused on THIS perspective long enough to ground my self before pushing down the plunger again.

but I could be wrong.

Change 'could be' to 'am' =D Lilley died as close to a natural death as you can get after living a several years long near death experience. DM Turner died on a new years eve after taking ketamine in the bath and drowning.

Lilley was one of those scientists with an amazing intellect, but a self destructive streak nearly as big. I saw him being interviewed by Ken Campbell (the actor) for this program about conciousness called 'Brainspotting' for Channel 4 (UK) - it wasn't long after the release of the film 'Trainspotting', hence the title. During that he seemed rather away with the dolphins (well it makes a change from faries) and had to have somebody translate what he was saying for Ken Campbell (even though Lilley was talking - well muttering - in English). He looked like some creation from a Furry Freak Brothers comic.

Although Lilley did babble a bit at times, I have a lot more respect for him than the McKennas (who eventually started to disappear up their own arseholes) and the likes of Leary (who just turned into an arsehole rather than disappearing up one as he was responsible for some sound, reproducable cutting edge research.

Didn't stop him comimg across as a tad eccentric though :D

The story I heard was DM Turner committed suicide by taking a massive dose of K in the bath.

I didn't think John Lilley died on K.

I remember on my first acid trip that suddenly the floor disappeared and I saw the stars on the other side of the earth, so I stamped my foot on the floor to find it.

:D =D :D

Lilly started as a scientist and was a scientist when he was taking LSD. Then he started to really embrace ketamine...and slowly his respect for the scientific method, empiricism and logic flew right out the window (or was sucked into the K-hole). Eventually he ended up sounding batshit crazy with the whole dolphin thing. In short, I feel that ketamine turned him from a scientist into a 'scientician'--from one who practices applied logic to one who practices applied bullshit.

Terence McKenna (unlike his brother Denis McKenna), on the other hand, was never really a scientist and was always chock full of neo-hippy, new-agey bullshit. And Leary was just a self-righteous egotistical asshole who wanted a personality cult.

In my opinion, what happened to Lilly speaks to the dangers of going too far out there with ketamine--eventually you start living on the planet Zargon, rather than just visiting.

Last edited:
wasn't it Dr Marcia Moore who died of a K overdose? went out into the woods near her home and injected herself with all the ketamine that she had.. I believe her body was not discovered for over a year :(

^ Yep, her too :\.

Journeys To The Bright World was great book though :).

^yeah, I agree. not cool... "I wanted to check if it would give them respiratory failure" oh, that's humane!

feelgoodhit said:
^yeah, I agree. not cool... "I wanted to check if it would give them respiratory failure" oh, that's humane!

Isn't that a bit tounge in cheek as it doesn't cause respiratory depression in any other mammalian species AFAIK?

tekkeN said:
wasn't it Dr Marcia Moore who died of a K overdose? went out into the woods near her home and injected herself with all the ketamine that she had.. I believe her body was not discovered for over a year :(

wow! are you serious? ive never been able to read that book because it costs almost 100 dollars but it ends with one of them dying!?8o
can someone link me to some info on this?

oh I havn't read the book, just found it out while reading about ketamine..
heres a link I found using google : http://www.futurehi.net/docs/journeys/JourneysBrightWorld.html

'The Priestess', aged 50, disappeared on a freezing winter's night in January, 1979. Her bleached skeleton was found two years later. She had gone at night into a nearby forest, and frozen to death after injecting herself with all the ketamine she could find (Jansen 2000)

ETA; that link has the whole book on it, going to give it a read now!

hamhurricane said:
wow! are you serious? ive never been able to read that book because it costs almost 100 dollars but it ends with one of them dying!?8o
can someone link me to some info on this?

It ends while she's still loving the ket, as far as I recall. She lost the plot in a big way slightly later - seems to be a thing with full-on ket-heads. The book's worth reading though - well, I like it :).