• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

John C Lilly appreciation thread.

She lost the plot in a big way slightly later - seems to be a thing with full-on ket-heads.

You could say the same thing about serotonogic psychedelics as well, I mean freq high dose users like the McKennas are hardly an advert for normal sober citizens!

^ Look at his sense of humour! =D

Not saying all full on users lose the plot, but a fair number become wooley headed, mystico-bullshit, new age pains in the arse just as much as heavy ket users become UFO hunting, synchronicity believing paranoid nut jobs

I would consider myself a frequent high-dose user of psychedelics. ;] but then again, I never knew about a plot to begin with... :D

right when i first started using i made a few ground rules: no UFOs, no telepathy, and no absolute truth!

thats a really interesting story about her death, why isent there more info about it? how did they not find her body for years, is her husband still alive?

f&b said:
You could say the same thing about serotonogic psychedelics as well, I mean freq high dose users like the McKennas are hardly an advert for normal sober citizens!

Not saying all full on users lose the plot, but a fair number become wooley headed, mystico-bullshit, new age pains in the arse just as much as heavy ket users become UFO hunting, synchronicity believing paranoid nut jobs

Good points, well made :).

I consider myself quite the psychedelic enthusiast (serotonergic psychedelics, not dissociatives) and I've never been out of my head, never believed any new-agey bullshit and have never taken a vacation to la-la land. I think it has more to do with the initial disposition of the user than the chemicals themselves--for example, I highly doubt Terence McKenna was ever a down-to-earth, skeptical, reductive materialist. You know, you are either the type to believe in things like magical trans-dimensional dancing elves or you are not. I don't, yet I've also taken a decent amount of DMT...and lo and behold, no trans-dimensional dancing elves, just a great psychedelic experience.

^ Oh me too, it's just I've seen it happen a fair few times with friends etc. In my boring scientific way of looking at things (I was asked in SL&R if I ever get depressed because I can only relate to things in a reductionist, scientific manner. I can only assume they've only read a narrow range of the posts I've made!!) I can actually separate the spiritual side of psychedelics from the mystical bullshit - well think I can - but for some people psychedelics dissolve that separation (if there was one there to begin with :D ). I can still take great pleasure from the Dr Seuss stories, but it doesn't mean that I actually believe there's a mischevious cat in a hat that goes around tempting kids into chaos...

I think John Lilly was quite a brilliant man, although the only thing I've ever read by him is Programming the Human Biocomputer.

No one here has seemed to mention that he invented the isolation tank and early on in his career did lots of lots of experientation with sensory deprivation. He was originally trying to understand what's left to consciousness if you take away all external stimulus. I know his early isolation tank experiments were done under the influence of LSD ad that he aparently cured his chronic migraines during a ketamine session. I feel the idea of metaprograming --or psychological remodeling-- is a largely untapped potential with psychedelic research. The idea that you can use serotonergic psychedelics (and aparently dissociatives aswell) to disrupt neural networks and change behavior is really interesting.

Last edited:
Lol, I read about this guy a while ago.
Pretty nuts(and fcuking cool)...
Read somewhere that his tolorance was so high he could ride a bike while in a full blown K hole. He wasnt getting anymore of the physical effects(the immobolizing effects of K)... also he spent almost a whole year in a K hole, only coming out of it for food and the toilet.

Dxmmonster said:
Lol, I read about this guy a while ago.
Pretty nuts(and fcuking cool)...
Read somewhere that his tolorance was so high he could ride a bike while in a full blown K hole. He wasnt getting anymore of the physical effects(the immobolizing effects of K)... also he spent almost a whole year in a K hole, only coming out of it for food and the toilet.
he also almost died riding his bike on ketamine. was hospitalized where ECCO came to visit him and asked him if he wanted to go with them or stay and spread the word of them.

^ It was PCP that he'd had when he had the bike accident, but amounts to just about the same thing

I think its pretty funny that, in response to synchronicites, he decided there was actually a group of beings organising such. Not anything subtle, like a holographic universe or ancient mayan proheicies; but an actual organisation responsible for getting together and rigging up coincidences for us stupid humans.

Okay, his idess were proabbly different to that, but funny nonethless :)

If people keep mentioning synchronicities to me I pretty quickly put them in the fruit-loop category!

^Yep, me too. Synchronicity feels the same as numerology: just a bunch of people confusing correlation/coincidence with causality.

correlation is often coincidence-it means nothing. the brain is programmed to look for patterns, its how we understand our world by looking for the patterns.

i.e when is fruit ripe, when is the weather cold,who behaves good/bad

this is why we have succeeded

I wonder whether John Lilly tried any of the following drugs and what he would think of them:

Salvia divinorum, DMT, Ayahuasca, Amanita muscaria, Ibogaine, DXM

I've only ever read of Lilly using LSD, Ketamine and PCP. What all else have you guys heard of him dabbling in?

fastandbulbous said:
If people keep mentioning synchronicities to me I pretty quickly put them in the fruit-loop category!

Please DON'T search for my thread entitled Synchronicity then! ;)