• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

I've fallen in love with a drug.

OMG!! thankyou sooo much for posting this!
up until recently, i didnt know i had ADD. my experience had been with a friend in HS who had used ADD as an excuse for everything. along with not being familar with the symptoms, i was very turned off to any diagnosis of such a 'fake' problem.
my mom recommended i read this book called 'Driven to Distraction' that talked about ADD. after letting it sit on my shelf for about 3 months i decided i'd just see what all this ADD stuff was about so i could at least tell my mom (who had already begun to think that i had this) that this psychobabble didnt apply to me. by about page 20 my jaw was on the floor and the feeling continued the rest of the way through the book. i just finished reading it yesterday, probably took me a month to get through it. if i wanted to describe myself to someone i could just hand them that book. it certainly helped take some of the stigma away from this 'disease'.. tho im still havin a hard time seeing it as that.
the way im trying to look at this is that its not a defect. its like personalities.. everybody is different but there are some people who share some of the same traits you do. people with ADD tend to procrastinate and have a hard time concentrating. accepting this as a diagnosis allows me to look at other people and what they've done to combat some of these same problems i face.
i remember in the 'ADD and stimulants' post Grimmlok said that with ritalin he was able to 'concentrate on a wall and its the most interesting thing ive ever seen.' when i read that i got so excited. then when i got to your description i was jumping out of my seat with hope.
i still have yet to see anyone. heh, one of those things. i keep procrasting to go see the doktor about procrastinating. things have gotten pretty bad tho, bad enough to reach for anything. i broke up with my gf of 6 years. i took a semester off school (you could call it dropping out i guess, tho my dept chair did convice me to take one class still). all the classic symptoms, i could go on but im hopeful that there actually is something out there that can change how i _SEE_ the world.
omg, and memory!! i have the worst memory in the world. this sounds too good to be true. if i can get to the store and remember milk and bread, if i can get out of my house with my keys im a happy person. sounds simple, but it gets so frustrating, and can get pretty depressing too.
only thing im scared of is that i dont want my personality to change. i like who i am, i like my creativity. my headphones are a part of my clothing, i feel naked w/o them. wouldnt i miss the music?? pyrgon, you say its intoxicating. its intoxicating just listening to you talk about it. i get so frustrated with myself.
ok, im havin a hard time even finishing this post so i'll just end it here. i think im going to go to my phonebook right now and call somebody. if i dont, well you probably know the story.
thank you thank you thank you
mae
---------------
hard work often pays off over time but laziness always pays off now

Just a real quick reply.
Maestro, I was worried about the exact same thing you were: the personality change. And my creativity especially, as a lot of my rambling thoughts produce interesting stuff.
All I can say is: Don't worry about it.
No, serious. You still get those creative tangent thought threads, it's just you can concentrate on what's at hand when you get them. I mean, when I'm on my Adderall I'll have something interesting pop into my head and I can think about it (or, get this, remember it for later) but it doesn't distract me from whatever I need to focus on at the moment (like papers, reading, doing work, etc). Before I'd get the weirdest thoughts and have to follow them and they'd spawn more and they'd spawn more and next thing I know 3 hours have passed that I coulda been working on this paper that's due the next morning. With Adderall I'm just all 'Oh, I'll have to think on that later' and I'll get back to whatever I'm doing. And the scary thing is I DO go back and think on things, and still come up with other things.
I dunno. Even if yer still worried, think about it this way: You can give it a try and if it's not what you like, you can always give it up. It's not a drug that has a lasting effect like, oh, Prozac. It doesn't even change yer personality. Just gives your brain enough energy to shut out the distractions (the whole dopemine limiting thing).
Loupy (And, yes, this is my idea of a quick reply
smile.gif
)

wow! i know they say that drugs arent a panacea, but from what you guys are talking about, and from where i stand, i'm ready to give it a shot.
i constantly suffer from those thoughts that i follow. whenever i wrote papers i got into this perfectionist mood.. that is if i actually got started on the darn thing.
thats so crazy you can go back and address the things that popped into your head! i have this stream of ideas that flows past me. i can see the one thats right underneath me right now, but it will soon be gone replaced by another one in its place. i hope im not one of those people that the drug doesnt work on tho :/
thanks guys, i think im going to print this up and bring it in with me and just point. hehehe
i love bluelight. i love all you guys!
mae
--------
i want to die in my sleep, like my grandfather... not screaming like the other people in his car - Jack Handy

Over the past couple of years I've gradually become more aware of ADD and now, thanks to pyrgon and others here, I'm sure this is the condition that has dogged me all my life. I've got all the symptoms described above and on the website which Jase put the link up for (good one). Yes, I have achieved things, but I've always felt I should and could have done a lot more - I know I'm far from stupid, but, to borrow an old song title 'Why do I keep fuckin' up?'. I think I know now. I could never figure out why I am the way I am, or why I do some of the things I do. On the outside I know that a lot of people think I seem like I’ve got my shit together, but on the inside - what a mess! That thing about not feeling like you ever fit in anywhere is so totally me too. Gee, I wish I'd known about this stuff years ago. Unfortunately it seems like we can't get Adderall here in the UK yet (wouldn't ya just know it) but I'll be happy to try Ritalin and see how that goes. Thanks to everyone that's posted on this thread - really helpful.
smile.gif
Mr S

This is me:
http://www.ruralnet.net/~bobseay/serious.html
My mind makes so much sense now
smile.gif

There are so many reasons why this is me. I tried writing some of them down, but I have trouble writing more than about two lines without going off on some ridiculous tangent.
I spend ages writing posts and then delete them all and replace them with two liners, because they end up being about something completely different.
I feel so frustrated because I know I've always been like this.
I'm crap at conversation, mostly because I'm stood there thinking what to say, by the time I've selected something acceptable, my minds wandered off and I've forgotten it again.
The hyperfocusedness rings very true. The pill reports database for example, essentially finished in about 2 days flat. An equivilant work project has taken me three months because I can't put my mind to it.
Its probably why I like Ecstasy so much. When I'm dancing in a clear space and close my eyes, its the only time my minds not going a zillion miles an hour in 4 directions simultaneously.
Its weird knowing that my head is not supposed to work like this.
Jase.
[This message has been edited by Jase (edited 24 March 2000).]

Jase:
Hell yeah it's weird realizing that you're not thinking the way everyone else was. I seriously could not understand how other people did what they did. I seriously thought that I was just lazy or sometimes even stupid, and I really got down on myself for it for most of my life. 'WHY can't you just sit down and do the fucking REPORT???' I'd never cut myself any slack either. In fact, when I first was diagnosed with ADD, I just said 'oh, just another excuse why you can't do your goddamn homework.' But then I took the drug and, whoah... I realized that I really DID have something wrong, that 'normal' people really DID think differently than I did. I was floored when I realized what this term 'focus' really meant.
But you know what the coolest part is? I consider myself fortunate to have ADD now.
smile.gif
Now that I can control it, that is. It's weird, but I come up with some zany shit. Good shit too. Stuff that I know I'd never have thought of if I grew up 'normal.'
Doesn't mean I don't get frustrated with it anymore. Just, I dunno. I like being a little off, a little creative. But the first priorty, always, is getting it under control. And then you can use it to everyone's benefit. 'Sides, I get a kick out of the fact that ADD seems to only seriously affect bright people.
smile.gif
Prolly why so many Bluelighters seem to have it.
Heh, Bluelight: Ecstacy information BBS, Luv Shack, and ADD hangout.
Loupy

Thanks Pyrgon for your informative answer, and thanks to the rest of you for your thoughts as well. From what I've been hearing this COULD be what's going on with my screwy brain. I myself have been having problems with depression for years now. I'm very smart, but goddamn it, often I have real problems expressing myself because I have so many answers racing around in my head. I forget EVERYTHING, I can't focus for more than a few minutes at a time, And I've started more amazing creative projects than I can think of, only to abandon them within a week or two. I'm still not convinced that I have ADD - I'm afraid that I might be using that as an excuse for why I haven't achieved as much in my life as I've wanted - but I'm going to consult with a doctor and/or therapist and get to the bottom of it. Thanks again!

My Gosh!! Reading all these response almost brought me to tears! Each and every post of you guys triggered a time or feeling in my life I had no eplaination for. Caress, I really must say you've done the right thing and I'm very proud of you. This drug is not for everyone, but I urge every single one of you that thinks they may have it to find out for sure. I did not think it was all that much of a problem until I took a pill and saw (and felt) what it was like to be normal.
Anything I can do to help, do not hesitate to ask.
------------------
<br>
"life is merely an illusion, albeit a persistant one" - Albert Einstein

Wow! What a fascinating thread! Like Special K said, ya learn something new every day
smile.gif

Pyrgon, I was wondering if you've heard of Wavepoint as a treatment for ADD/ADHD? I admit that I know next to nothing about ADD, but I'm always intrigued by little tidbits of medical information I can find here or there.
Wavepoint is basically a process where you use biofeedback over time to control the symptoms. From what I've heard there are no drugs involved, and that it has a good track record (especially with those with extreme cases). I was just wondering what your thoughts were on that, seeing as how there were concerns voiced about the disadvantages of using meds to control behavioral/neurological disorders. I can't remember their address right now, I'll post a link as soon as I find it.
Dave

Pyrogon
Sounds like u've got a facination with the brain that even beats mine. Ive recently been facinated by ghb which works by increasing dopamine production and antagonising at the synapse. Basically lessening the amount, which increases the effeciancy of serotonin and GABA creating its mellow, kinda rolling/luved up type effects.
What ive wondered since discovering this is that the attention and motor skills are lessened by less dopamine but the empathy, happiness and emotion clarity more than makes up for it SOOOOO how is that ADD, parkinsons etc has a overall negative effect from this ; do the 5ht receptors become desensitised or is it mainly very specific regions of the brain like the midbrain etc...
Anyways, i too dream of becoming a neuro scientist in my case a researcher. And i am having trouble tying all this conflicting data to do with 5ht/dopamine together.
good luck with the medication....
thanks,

Pyrgon: You have helped more people than you could ever imagine. I have had ADD all my life (52) and my son has it and I know alot of people who will benefit from all this when I get it copied. I tried all the other stuff...but....you know. I pray that you go on to be a doctor or someone great cause you got what it takes...In fact, there are alot of gifted people on the bluelight board. God bless you.
------------------
if you aint programming yourself.......someone else [email protected]

Grumblereplyingtoathreadthatsnowclosedmutterhrmph.
I think it was retarded that liquidocean closed MNroller's thread since this thread is not about E vs. ADD drugs, but just how beneficial ADD drugs have been to bluelighters... Just my humble opinion.
A shorter version of the reply I'd tried to post:
MN 12olle12 --> Your dealer lied to you, sorry. Dropping ADD drugs tends to make you not roll nearly as well.. Most people advise folks not to do adderall, ritalin, or dexadrine at least several hours before they do xtc.
I'd save it for a night you wanna hit a rave but not roll, coz it's a stimulant and you'll be very up and dancy. It's a prescription drug, so it's pure, and surely safer than any illegal stimulant you'll find sold at a rave.
Hope this helps!
~*~ Ashke ~*~

hehehehe! the life of adhd (hypo for me)
or How it was easy for me to always win the most laid-back award
ehh actually i was goign to right more but i think im getting lazy
i might as well though, well im on ritalin myself, (have tryed adderol too) and it does comepletely change the world for me but remember pyrgon, that the altered state it buts us in doesnt make it exactly like sobriety is for other people, it is just another state of conciousness that actually makes things easier for us to concentrate on, but ohh yeah it is kinda wierd about the music thing, goes away and ive been on it for a while and im still not sure what i think about it, i am alot moer easily entertained though while not on it with the music, ohh and for MN ROLLER: if you dont have add then taking the two together will be fun, but if you do then the add might cause the adderol to make the Xperience a little too clearminded sometimes
------------------
AleX
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense"
- Buddha -

New question: First of all I have had ADD all my life but was only diagnosed with it about three years ago when I was 15. Maybe it's the psychiatrist I went to but I feel like I had to convince her that I have ADD and that she should give me a prescription. I think it was mainly her because I first went to a psychologist and he said that I definitely had it. But I never know what to say when the psychiatrist asked me "Now, why do you think you have ADD and why do you think I should give you medication?" First of all I DEFINITELY know I have it but I just couldn't remember all my symptoms. Plus I think she has ADD herself because she asked me the same things the first four times I went there, accomplishing nothing. Oh well.
I guess my question is, when I go to a new psychiatrist what do I say when they ask me why I believe I have ADD? And also, I've always taken Ritalin but I feel Aderol will be so much better b/c I can concentrate better on ADD but I think Aderol will be a thousand times better than Ritalin!!!! So how do I ask him/her to put me on Aderol instead????
Second question: my psychologist said that ADD is a medical condition, not an excuse for everything....that if I can't concentrate it's b/c of the ADD or if I can't sit for a long period of time it's the ADD or if I can't read more than 20 minutes it's the ADD. But most people think I just use it for an excuse all the time and don't understand how serious it is. How do I explain this to them without them thinking it's just an excuse??????
------------------
Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt and dance as though no one is looking!

Guess who can't get his ass in gear to do anything about it?
Why? Since I found out and read up on this, I have not been able to get it out of my head. Making this problem (if it is real) into a much greater problem. I now have this as an additional layer of distraction onto whatever I'm doing, meaning I'm getting virtually nothing done and getting nowhere closer to getting anything done about it.
Tried to find out who/what/where to contact. I'm not a child, I don't need a "Family Support Group" & doctors in the UK at first glance don't seem to be that interested.
Arrgh.. Could someone please e-mail me with some suggestions.
Jase.

If I were you I'd go to your normal doctor. Take some references with you to show you're not fucking around and not an idiot if he/she doesn't know what they're talking about or thinks it's all in your head. Decide on what it is you want prescribed obviously beforehand. Stress how much this is screwing up your life and how tired you are of it. They may refer you to a psychiatrist with more experience who could offer you insight that they cannot but I'm inclined to believe that the condition is more biochemical than acquired and therefore would benefit more from medication than psychobabble. You could counter this move by saying you're interested in trying medication first and then if that works go from there.
And how much more of the rest of your life are you going to lose to it, Jase? If the answer to that question doesn't motivate you to do this then nothing will.

Thanks deep, makes sense.
I know its not in my head. Ironically the only doubts I have about it seem to also reinforce it.
I'm seeing my doctor on Friday - Unrelated, I've lost some of the feeling and movement in my foot, during a horrific motorcycle accident. - Actually I'm lying, I done this while getting dressed. One of the most riculous accidents I've ever had. - well apart from almost drowning twice while I was a kid, most people try and swim, scream etc. I just thought how nice the sun looked through the green water of my nans pond..
Thanks
Jase.

well jase, im in the same boat. since this i read this thread (which got me to finish the book i was reading which got me to... oh damn, nevermind), shit what was i talking about. thank god with writing you can go back in time to recall what you were thinking. maybe thats why i feel more comfortable talking with people online/bbs/irc/aim/etc because i can collect my thoughts. in meatspace i feel like i cant articulate what im really thinking. then those feelings of self-doubt start to sink in, but i digress (a lot).
so after reading this thread i've become almost crippled. i tend to really get into one thing and do it all out. this month its raving. usually these binges last from 2-6 months, some longer. i dunno, we'll see how this goes. all week all i've done/thought about is the next party. then theres bluelight. i love this shit, i spend way too much time reading/posting. work is fun but i feel burnt out, cant concentrate on it. i worked myself into a corner putting a lot of effort into a project that might just not work out, so i guess thats got me bummed there.
my only hope is that i contacted the local CHADD (www.chadd.org) people and they're having a meeting next tuesday (the day that oakey is coming to town). well, i decided i really really need to go to this meeting and find out where i need to go from here. sorry jase, they dont have any chapters in the UK. i did go do a quick search on google for ya "attention deficit disorder united kingdom" and came up with http://www.pavilion.co.uk/add/ which, if you click on the little UK flag, they've got some contacts for people on your side of the pond ;]
i feel really bad because now it seems even that much harder to concentrate. what the hell is going on with my mind!?!? certainly gives the impression of using it as a crutch. i swear, i try and concentrate.. argh....
Ocean Fire: i suggest you read a book on the subject. if you can relate to what they're explaining, then relay this to your doctor. if you really do have ADD, then you'll probably have to take notes because i garuntee you you probably wont remember 95% of it hehehe ;] what i did was take this link that jase had posted http://www.ruralnet.net/~bobseay/serious.html and printed it out, then highlighted everything that i thought really really applied to me, things that really stuck in my craw. really i could have highlighted the entire thing, but that wouldnt have done me much good hehehe. really good link jase!!
pyrgon, thank you for bringing up this topic. i had heard a number of people online and IRL
referring to ADD, but never hit the topic head on like you did. oh, btw.. really really enjoy the long posts, so keep them coming ;]
i'll keep you guys posted as to how things go on tuesday. im keeping my fingers crossed. in the meantime, i'm going to try and get through the rest of this week.
cheers
mae
-------------
there is no spoon
[now lets see how many times i need to edit this bad boy to have it make sense]
[This message has been edited by maestro^ (edited 28 March 2000).]

maestro.. I get the impression that only people who really have it, have this problem of not doing anything about it. What an ironic conditon. People don't get treated properly because they don't get around to visiting a doctor, taking medication etc. etc. It is almost funny..
I'm in a better mood now.
Jase.