View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Is taking LSD for the first time really scary for most people

blotterfan88

Greenlighter
I am trying to figure out if it is worth taking. The first time I tried pot was the first time I tried any drug and I hallucinated on it and it freaked me out. I felt like I was doing backflips in my car and I told my boyfriend to call my mom and that I needed to go to the hospital so if I freaked out that much on weed, I think I would do something crazy on acid or I would just be terrified the whole time. What do you think?

It wasn't for me, but I was at my house with my BF so it was a controlled, relaxed environment. We walked to a park and went on the swings after a while too. It was fun. :D

Weed always made me paranoid so I don't like it.

First of all, I think this is a decision you have to balance yourself. That's because nobody knows what will happen if you try it. There is a wealth of information available - be it first hand or written - on the observed properties of acid and the subjective effects it appears to have on a large amount of people.
In an attempt to be accurate, acid is most of all intense intrinsically regardless of the dose. It amplifies a certain way of thinking, and if being and in that respect it transforms you or enables you to tune your consciousness. The first time you try it, it's like getting behind the wheel of an before-unknown vehicle. Suddenly you carry the responsibility of not only your sober perspective but a lot of appended feelings and subconscious thoughts. When this happens in an environment that gives you too much input, or when you take too big a dose for your standards - this vehicle tends to drive a little faster than you feel comfortable steering. It will take a break and 'getting your thoughts straight' to catch up to your own train of thought (the vehicle ;) ).
If your train of thought is a little erratic to begin with, like in lots of people, it will be harder to keep it under control.
This metaphor is actually for the number one rule in tripping which revolves around set and setting.
The set is your mindset, the train which represents you - and the way you are oriented in life.
The setting in short, is your environment but it also includes the dose, the type of drug and other circumstantial factors.
The more careful you plan set and setting, the bigger your chances of success. I would almost go as far as saying that an individual who feels like having a good place in life and the world, situated in a loving, interesting and safe place will almost surely have a positive experiences, but some things are impossible to know which means there is always a risk when you take drugs. The world and people in it have radiantly good qualities but also horrifyingly bad, which is exactly and unequivocally reflected in an acid trip.

Take your time to get to a good mindset, and decide well-informed and introspectively. It may change your life for better or worse, or it could just give you an interesting experience - good or bad.

I wouldn't say that its scary, but more or less fear of the unknown. You must be careful with LSD, its powerful and long lasting. You shouldn't try acid unless your comfortable with yourself and the location you chose to do it in. Chances are if you freaked out that bad from just weed, acid might be a little to intense for you.

well, on the one hand, LSD is very long, so at SOME POINT in that 12-hour period of time it's likely that you will experience negative emotions such as fear.

on the other, weed makes me scared pretty much EVERY time i smoke it, and usually for absoloutely no logical reason. i find this sort of irrational fear/paranoia much more disconcerting than the kind that LSD can bring on...

your milage may vary, though.

It's like anything in life - whether something is worth doing depends on what you have to lose by not doing it. If you're taking LSD because it's just another way of getting fucked up then the risk of sitting screaming with fear before calling the police to "come and help" is probably a bad risk to take.

If you're taking LSD because you've reached the point in life where it's either take LSD or kill yourself then the risk of sitting there absolutely shitting yourself for 10 hours doesn't mean so much.

You have to weigh up where you are between those two points.

My first time with lsd was best day of my life.No fear just pure bliss :)

IMO, reading some first-time trip reports on erowid might help you decide.

Hahahah this is a great thread and a great question! I did it for my first time when I was 17 I think. I had researched it for about 9 months before I decided it was something I wanted to do and the opportunity arose. I remember telling some people that I was going to eat a sugar cube my first time, a whole one at that! They all thought I was crazy! That made me a lil nervous despite all of my research. I ate it and nothing happened.

A few weeks later I got sugar cubes that were crumbling because of how much liquid was just dropped on them. I tripped really really really hard. It was great and I wasn't scared at all.

Yeah - all about the set and setting. Most important I find is doing it with someone you trust.

The first time I did it I was with a very close friend who also had never done it before but like me had read up about the experience and tried other drugs. We had an amazing day... like, omg, really amazing :)

I wasn't scared at all; it was less scary than the first time I smoked weed and way less scary than the first time I did MDMA - but then by the time I came to do LSD I'd already taken a lot of other drugs including some psychedelics/hallucinogens (shrooms, ketamine, MDA, 2c-b).

So that's a consideration too - have you smoked weed a lot? have you taken other drugs? If you're used to your mind doing unusual things because of chemicals in general it's probably less scary than it would otherwise be.

I guess I wasn't scared because I'd read a lot of trip reports and stuff and so nothing that unexpected happened to me (although it's way different reading about doing LSD than actually doing it). I knew I'd taken a drug and these were effects, and all was dandy.

That said, if you have doubts about dropping acid, well, don't. No-one's making you. wait until you're comfortable with the idea, and if that time ever comes, enjoy it. :)

We can't tell you if you will freak out on acid, but I personally get more freaked out from weed than from LSD. So, if you do decide to give it a try, just make sure you do it in a safe environment where you won't be around anyone that doesn't want you to be tripping.

The first time I smoked weed I had a pretty scary reaction too, but I think this was due to the fact that before that, I had no prior experience with intoxication beyond a little alcohol.

With LSD, I was a little more experienced with my mind when I tried it, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Part of the acid experience is usually facing your negative thought habits, and facing your fears. If you're not ok with yourself, and your life, it can be uncomfortable and sometimes terrifying. But taking an honest look at ourselves and the world around us can be just the perspective we need to have a 'breakthrough', or an epiphany.

If you have mental health issues, as with any psychedelic, LSD can exacerbate them. If you have ever experienced any psychosis, hallucinations, manic episodes, etc. LSD is probably not for you ~

Id suggest that you dont dose. no reason to realy. psychedelics arnt for everyone.

My first acid trip was a lot less scary than my first experience with weed!

If you feel like you're sane for the most part, go for it! :D LSD is something almost everyone should experience IMO. (And I've had a few bad trips...)

Just don't think about having a "bad trip", and you'll do fine!

In retrospect, I wish I would have tried LSD before shrooms. From what I hear its much more gentle than its reputation would have you believe. Go into it with a pure and open heart and you'll be fine. It's all about set and setting!

Ismene said:
If you're taking LSD because you've reached the point in life where it's either take LSD or kill yourself then the risk of sitting there absolutely shitting yourself for 10 hours doesn't mean so much.

8o wtf? maybe I am missing some sort of sarcasm i dont know... but jesus... do people actually feel that way? I decided to take acid some 4 or 5 years before the opportunity arose, and i never ever felt even remotely like that haha

On a side note, I find it interesting how many people have chimed in to say that their first experience with weed was much scarier than their first experience with LSD. Many more than I would have thought.

lsd isnt scary. in fact, its the least scary of all psychedelics ive tried

moracca said:
On a side note, I find it interesting how many people have chimed in to say that their first experience with weed was much scarier than their first experience with LSD. Many more than I would have thought.
Upon reflection, my first time getting STONED was more scary than LSD. It hits you so much faster and all of a sudden your trapped in this experience where you can't remember what happened two seconds ago and it feels like you're trapped in a flip book.