• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Is Oxycodone taken once a day harmful to health?

There's always some negative impact involved, but if you're truly in pain the benefits probably outweigh the risks in my opinion. Especially at the dosages you're mentioning. From a biochemical standpoint opiates tend to chronically elevate prolactin, which can have long term effects on decreasing testosterone, increasing estrogen, and cause sluggish depressed moods. Taking a pure full spectrum vitamin E (alpha, beta, gamma, delta) can help blunt some of those negative hormonal effects.

Impressive, what dosage and frequency?

The dose and opioid has varied greatly (been on opioids for 8 years including Codeine, Tramadol, Dihydrocodeine, Morphine, Oxycodone, Heroin, Methadone, Buprenorphine and Fentenyl). Currently on around Dihydrocodeine, usually around 480mg/day. I've used whatever opioids daily the whole time.

Thank you for all of the most recent replies. I am glad to know that opioids can be taken without too many health risks. The only trouble I am currently having is pain in my stomach. And for that, I will need to curb my use. I'm not quite sure what it is, but in today's climate around opioids, even having a script is a blessing if you need it. So I am reluctant to tell my doctor I am having any averse effects. I had a similar experience when I took steroids for the same pain issue. But that stomach pain was much more intensified and I had to stop halfway through my package. I really wish the stomach problem wasn't an issue. Other than that, the pain relief is so great and I can take one at night and it continues to relieve into the next day!

I'd say just go for it then. Chronic pain is affecting your life probably more than opoids would at this point. There aren't really physical issues with taking it regularly--mostly mental ones. Just a warning though, if push ever comes to shove and you have to get off the script for whatever reason your pain will be a bit magnified if you end up going off them. You can expect to have less energy in the long run, and your dose might have to be raised eventually because your body starts to adjust to it over time aka tolerance. You're not going to come out of this with organ failure or anything like that, as other people have said. It's just a really addicting substance even if you take it as recommended, you'll probably end up needing it to function eventually. I remember reading something where patients who are on the script for longer than 3 weeks usually end up developing an addiction to it. That's probably true.
@ orbital that's actually insane but I wouldn't doubt it. Kratom is really understudied. Liver problems though? Damn how did you find out?
This is a great response. And
In

I just wanted to raise my hand to say, you're absolutely spot on about how pain meds are actually in and of themselves quite safe. This is not just my opinion but if you wish to do the research, one will find it is indeed true. Unfortunately this opioid crisis (It.takes great restrain to not go off on a full blown rant, but I digress...) has muddied the waters so much folks don't know what to think!

I read somewhere that "pain patients" do take their medication as instructed, the actual percentage of folks who do not being extremely low, somewhere in the neighborhood of 1-5%. However, such a patient does need to reconcile the fact that their body will in fact become "dependant" on these medications. In situations like this a pretty good example is that of a diabetic, who is clearly physically "dependant" on the drug "insulin". I do realize this a very simplistic comparison, but I would be surprised if many people were aware of this fact, true abuse is limited to a very low percentage.

I'll close by saying thank you for bringing this topic to the foreground. To all the fellow pain patients out there, I feel you and pray we all find the relief we need and deserve, emphasis on the later!!
I totally understand you wanting to go on a rant. I too am so mad at the opiod crisis. I mean what did people think taking loads of opioids?! They've been around for years and we all know what they can do if abused. I don't blame the drug companies entirely. People need to take responsibility! My first though whenever getting a drug is to research it and be very careful.

There's always some negative impact involved, but if you're truly in pain the benefits probably outweigh the risks in my opinion. Especially at the dosages you're mentioning. From a biochemical standpoint opiates tend to chronically elevate prolactin, which can have long term effects on decreasing testosterone, increasing estrogen, and cause sluggish depressed moods. Taking a pure full spectrum vitamin E (alpha, beta, gamma, delta) can help blunt some of those negative hormonal effects.
That's good advice on the vitamin E. And I appreciate your biochemical input. It's stuff like that I've been trying to find online.

This is a great response. And

I totally understand you wanting to go on a rant. I too am so mad at the opiod crisis. I mean what did people think taking loads of opioids?! They've been around for years and we all know what they can do if abused. I don't blame the drug companies entirely. People need to take responsibility! My first though whenever getting a drug is to research it and be very careful.

Yeah, even if you're only on Co-Codamol and you never take more than what you're prescribed, if you're on it in the long term you will experience some withdrawal if you were to run out or skip a dose.
Another example are Beta Blockers. My mum is on Bisoprolol and she recently ran out for two days and felt very unwell.

Yeah, even if you're only on Co-Codamol and you never take more than what you're prescribed, if you're on it in the long term you will experience some withdrawal if you were to run out or skip a dose.
Another example are Beta Blockers. My mum is on Bisoprolol and she recently ran out for two days and felt very unwell.
Sorry about your mum. I think my best bet is to just use it sparingly. It will be better on my body as a whole, force me to continue to find a solution to my issue and be easier to get a script refilled. When you only ask for a refill once or twice a year, no one bats an eye! Lol! I have really bad TMJ and a neurological disorder similar to Trigeminal Neuralgia. Unfortunately, no doctor has been able to fully help things resolve. Knowing there is a chance I may have to live with the issue even more long term, having any drug that helps is welcome.

Sorry about your mum. I think my best bet is to just use it sparingly. It will be better on my body as a whole, force me to continue to find a solution to my issue and be easier to get a script refilled. When you only ask for a refill once or twice a year, no one bats an eye! Lol! I have really bad TMJ and a neurological disorder similar to Trigeminal Neuralgia. Unfortunately, no doctor has been able to fully help things resolve. Knowing there is a chance I may have to live with the issue even more long term, having any drug that helps is welcome.

Damn, sorry about that! Tigeminal Neuralgia is one of the most painful conditions a person can suffer (I have pancreatitis which is also in the top 10 so now how you feel).
Haha I ring up for my script the morning it's due every time xD. My GP knows I need it so never bats an eye anyway, though. I have a known history of opioid problems, though, so I'd never get it a day early or anything.

Damn, sorry about that! Tigeminal Neuralgia is one of the most painful conditions a person can suffer (I have pancreatitis which is also in the top 10 so now how you feel).
Haha I ring up for my script the morning it's due every time xD. My GP knows I need it so never bats an eye anyway, though. I have a known history of opioid problems, though, so I'd never get it a day early or anything.
Lucky us in the pain department! Just kidding!!! I've never tried to ask for Oxy regularly. I just discovered last month after having it for a year that it helps! So when I asked for a refill, the doctor was fine with it. He also first prescribed it before all the lawsuits regarding painkillers. I've had doctors point blank diagnose me with TN and say they would never prescribe Oxy. Too afraid to loose their license in this climate. Feel lucky to have your script!

Decade plus prescribed. Side effects? Increased desire to live. Percocet is a different story but Oxycodone alone does not do any significant liver damage at all. Especially one a day lol

Simultaneously I wish I hadn’t started with opiates/opioids while happy(yes) that I have used them. Started with T3s, moved to Percocet, Oxycontin Immediate Release, self-tappered and did cold-turkey off of it, back to Oxycontin, then Suboxone while in treatment, then back to T3s, then Percocet and here I am thinking about going to 2mg Suboxone. They’ve brought me blessings and curses into my life. Tried smoking brown/fent once even. As Kid Rock the musician would say seriously or mockingly, drugs should just be made legal because if a person wanted to get ahold of some substance, you couldn’t really stop them either way. Guns don’t kill people....people do... in a way I guess...

Last edited:
Decade plus prescribed. Side effects? Increased desire to live. Percocet is a different story but Oxycodone alone does not do any significant liver damage at all. Especially one a day lol
Percocet and Oxycodone are the same, no? My script says the oxycode is generic for Percocet. In addition, thanks for your input.

Percocet and Oxycodone are the same, no? My script says the oxycode is generic for Percocet. In addition, thanks for your input.

Percocet includes acetaminophen which, in excess especially, can truly do damage to the liver. Oxycodone comes without the Tylenol in forms such as Oxycontin. Many people use the street terms "Perc 30" but Percocet includes APAP while other formulations don't. If you have a prescription, it should either say Oxycodone HCL 10MG or if it has the APAP it will say Oxycodone 10MG/325 or 500 to represent the amount of acetaminophen. Still, one a day is not detrimental to your health. I just would try to stay away from too much Tylenol which is why I asked my doctor for the tablets with only Oxycodone. I hope this helps

I’ve seen hundreds of people and dozens of close friends journey down the opiate abyss for various reasons...seen individuals who knew no better other than what a doctor told them to take become ensnared in the blackhole.
you gotta take a moment to ponder, we all know what opiates are and choose to use them whether or not theyre prescribed, i don't really believe that someone 'doesn't know better' about what theyre consuming, especially when it comes to substances.

On the other hand, Somtimes there is no better option vs an opiate :/

Opioids can be taken daily for life without adverse health effects (aside from constipation which I'm sure you're familiar with). They're extremely safe drugs when taken at therapeutic levels. The same can't be said for many other medications.

If someone would be suicidal due to pain, I see no reason they shouldn't be allowed to use opioids as needed for life. Otherwise they'd top themselves. Hell, if I was in chronic pain and someone told me I'd just have to go on for the next 20+ years dealing with it, I'd say fuck that too, I'd top myself. Pain is misery.
amen to this ^

For me, even the constipation goes away after a while. I've not had any constipation is YEARS. Actually, if I reduce my dose even slightly I get diarrhea.
depends what opiates aswell, i've found morphine to be the worst when it comes to constipation, oxy/hydromorph/hydrocodone/codeine all cause the least issues in this area, Heroin can also throw up a pretty good road block haha.

amen to this ^

depends what opiates aswell, i've found morphine to be the worst when it comes to constipation, oxy/hydromorph/hydrocodone/codeine all cause the least issues in this area, Heroin can also throw up a pretty good road block haha.

Codeine is the worst lol! Some doctors even prescribe it for diarrhea.

it all depends on tolerance too, i can eat 90 60mg codeine tabs and not even notice =p

Codeine is oddly the only opiate I can't take high doses of. Nothing to do with the actual opiate effect/tolerance (obv, as is the weakest lol) but because I have extreme histaminergic effects. I've mentioned before that once just 300mg made me blood pressure drop to 36/24 and my face swelled up and I was SO BURNING AND ITCHY. Bizarrely, I also got very bad diarrhea from it.
It's definitely something about codeine, because I can easily take like 900mg DHC and not have those problems (apart from moderate itching, even with anti-histamines).

Codeine is oddly the only opiate I can't take high doses of. Nothing to do with the actual opiate effect/tolerance (obv, as is the weakest lol) but because I have extreme histaminergic effects. I've mentioned before that once just 300mg made me blood pressure drop to 36/24 and my face swelled up and I was SO BURNING AND ITCHY. Bizarrely, I also got very bad diarrhea from it.
It's definitely something about codeine, because I can easily take like 900mg DHC and not have those problems (apart from moderate itching, even with anti-histamines).
haha yeah codeine can make ya itch like you've just been eaten alive by mosquitos, infact it still makes me itch more than my morphine.