• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Is it possible to use opiates responsibly?

Yes, I believe so.

I don't believe all drugs can be used in substitution therapy in the same manner.

Doing it on your own is unlikely to be successful. There are people out there who do it, but it's not the norm. I could quietly maintain a serious Opioid habit while teaching school. By the time the schoolyear was over though, nine months later, the wheels were falling off and I wouldn't have been able to continue.

not possible for me.....have no idea about the others

how could you owe that money though? its just 400 here 1 thousand there....I am a full addict, I wake up to 120mg then another 60-120 at lunch and 120-2o0 for dinner... it sucks cause it dissent even really work

What do you mean? I said I was 45,000 in debt... 400 here, 1000 there... that adds up to 45,000 pretty fast.

In reality, it took me 8 years to build that up, and I was also supporting a deadbeat abusive wife who refused to work, so a lot of that was from buying food. But anyway, yeah it adds up.

And yeah, that's why opiate addiction (or any drug addiction) sucks...because once you're deeply addicted, it doesn't even work anymore. You're just doing it to avoid feeling horrible. When you're withdrawing, feeling normal is a high of its own. But in reality, you're not feeling normal, even at the peak of your "high". I felt 100 times better than I ever felt at any point during the worst of my addiction, all the time, before I started fucking with opiates. I definitely had some peak moments during the honeymoon stage that were the best I've ever felt before, but nothing has ever been less worth it, because pretty soon those are just worthless memories, I gained nothing and lost profoundly.

What do you mean? I said I was 45,000 in debt... 400 here, 1000 there... that adds up to 45,000 pretty fast.

In reality, it took me 8 years to build that up, and I was also supporting a deadbeat abusive wife who refused to work, so a lot of that was from buying food. But anyway, yeah it adds up.

And yeah, that's why opiate addiction (or any drug addiction) sucks...because once you're deeply addicted, it doesn't even work anymore. You're just doing it to avoid feeling horrible. When you're withdrawing, feeling normal is a high of its own. But in reality, you're not feeling normal, even at the peak of your "high". I felt 100 times better than I ever felt at any point during the worst of my addiction, all the time, before I started fucking with opiates. I definitely had some peak moments during the honeymoon stage that were the best I've ever felt before, but nothing has ever been less worth it, because pretty soon those are just worthless memories, I gained nothing and lost profoundly.
Is that describing the deadbeat abusive wife, or the opiate? ;)

I'd actually like to answer this question again here because I felt like my take was inaccurate. There are objectively people in the world who do not have any affinity for opiate highs. Literally, its not for them and they prefer other substances or complete sobriety anyway. Those who do not psychologically find the thrill in the effects > would most likely never become addicted in the same way that opiate addicts traditionally are. Physical dependency isn't enough to trap someone perpetually in the hellish cycle of addiction.
There are plenty of patients who take the prescribed dosage of painkillers their entire life without ever breaking into higher doses.. So, to answer your question--yes there are people who use responsibly (mainly because the high is whatever for these particular individuals and they don't see any reason to indulge futher). HOWEVER, most people are not that type of person to never grow into an opiate addict. Most of us lose control so far before we even notice... we're in and out of withdrawals still thinking we can stop at any time. Very few people can control their opiate use on the planet. Most, once physically dependent, would absolutely indulge into higher doses or irregular using patterns throughout the day into daily use/addiction. Its better to assume that you will become hooked just to ensure that one knows the chances are always there. Its doubtful the first percocet or line of heroin would instantly turn someone into an addict--but it would introduce a great chance of addiction within your personal life and serve as the catalyst to misery if it does occur. I recommend not recreationally using opiates--even trying them if you have not yet already. There is so much more to life than opiate addiction and those truly in physical pain should regularly be using opiates. Its not a pretty or worthwhile addiction to go through, and it might even be the way many of you die--myself included since there's always the chance for anyone who fancies the wonderfully destructive class of drugs that are opiates.

ALSO: My boyfriend doesn't like opiates at all lol. Even when he was injured and they forced him to take them post surgery he just lacks the proper digestion system to process the high. They make him nauseous, drowsy, and dysphoric. Just relaying that some people aren't born with the affinity for opiates like we think the general pop would be. Really, some people can't digest it at all lol. The endorphins don't quite go to the brain to create that artificial "you did it" mental rush that a normal opiate addict would be drooling upon feeling. Its not for everyone... and I think that people should think that the general population *would* in time become opiate addicts if given the right push/routes, yet there's particular examples that slip through the cracks and don't have the chemistry we do for the chances of opiate addiction to definitely occur.
The relationship one has with the effects can make a whole world of difference, too.

Almost each day when I finish my Kriya practice I produce tenfold oxycodone on my own. I wouldn't change that for anything. But when I was an anxious wreck with shitty habits and energy system totally fucked, a Kratom high was the best thing ever.

Nowadays even though I might use them from once in a while, I have discovered there are certain states of consciousness much more pleasurable and intense than those of opiates. (I must say, never have tried heroin, but I doubt it's better than what im talking about).

So when taking opiates means 'putting you down', instead of getting 'high', you start to stop idealising them and seeing that their effects are not so 'amazing'. When you feel spectacular and blissful within yourself you don't want to take a drug to kill the perception state you are.

As a side note, some people might have different anxiety or fear levels as a baseline, people with higher levels of fear/anxiety will be way more attracted to opiates because they ease these uncomfortable nervous states very effectively. I am quite skeptic of the whole thing of 'some people have different neurochemistry', although I guess there can be exceptions.

Last edited:
Exactly. It’s just an unnecessary risk to take, and the risk to benefit ratio is way off. If I could go back opiates would be the one drugs I’d not try. Cocaine has been hell for me too but I still don’t regret that one?…

So much of my life has been consumed by opiates. I also feel it makes connecting with others difficult, it’s not a good road to go down unless your terminal and lonely.

-GC

It just ends up being such a long haul. Here I am trying tapentadol 7 years later after I said "I would just end it at the end of this 1st year of use." :ROFLMAO:

I realize this is a dumb question but figured I’d get some input anyway. I am not talking about mainlining heroin because obviously that is irreversible. My main thing is I really enjoy a fewpercocet every so often and have been debating whether or not I can moderate my use. When I travel abroad I can often get it OTC and I love the buzz I get from around 10-15mg. I know this spells trouble but I don’t really give a shit I guess. Lately I have been back in the US where I can’t get it so I haven’t been using. But every once in a while I think back on the phenomenal feeling I get. Anyway, just wanted to get info from others.

Recreationally, I'd say no. But pain patients use them responsibly and take them as prescribed all the time.

idk why it isn't...... I guess cause you could easily just take that next step and refine it

Define "using opiates responsibly ". Use them once in a while ? I guess that s unlikely , if I can score I score, and if there are people who manage to use opioids once in a while they are probably not on BL anyway.
Using and not stealing or ripping people off or selling your ass ( no offence to the ones who had to do all that and more) to feed your addiction, being able to take a break when necessary ( i.e. when the shit hits the fan or there s no product available) have a professional and social and sentimental life? Doable if you have a steady supply and some money, I ve been in an on and off relationship with opioids (smack in Europe, oxys here in Brazil) for the last 17 years and I managed to get a BA, a couple of Masters and a PhD and get some academic jobs ( I work in an Uni at the moment) and I ve been with my wife for the last 9 years. However, I do wonder whether I could have done way better without drugs; I m probably one of the few persons I know that didn t t completely fucked their life with opioids (and I keep asking to myself whether it s just a matter of time and ll be the next) ; the older you get the more opioids destroy your libido which is not really cool if you are in a relationship; when you run out of stuff( and it WILL happen one day) and have commitments you re royally fucked even if you have something to help you out ( usually with kratom loperamide and benzos I manage to get my shit together but if I don t have benzos I m a mess and benzos are tricky anyway), not to mention the PAWNS and the post w-d depression that anytime leads me to using cocaine booze and downers. Mind you, it could be said that I m functional and still I am quite a mess, many opioid users have or had a life which is WAY harder than mine, not to mention that if you are from Europe or North America you ll have to deal with LE which loves to give us a hard time and if you are from the US at 99% you are doing fentanyl or some other deadly shite. Is it worth it?

Fucks sake, opium and all it's variations should be legal everywhere.
Man, if opium was legal I would not give a shite about heroin, morphine, oxys, let alone this freaking south american coke which is driving me insane:eek::eek::eek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:It should be available in coffee shops like the ones they have in Holland for weed, or in headshop or whatever, I m sure lots of people would do opium rather than risking their life with fentadope or some brown made in Afghanistan or whatever. But yeah, is better to have people odding here and there, having the Talibans and the various mafias making fortunes, putting people in jail etc etc,this war on drugs is doing so well as you can confirm being from Perú....

Man, if opium was legal I would not give a shite about heroin, morphine, oxys, let alone this freaking south american coke which is driving me insane:eek::eek::eek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:It should be available in coffee shops like the ones they have in Holland for weed, or in headshop or whatever, I m sure lots of people would do opium rather than risking their life with fentadope or some brown made in Afghanistan or whatever. But yeah, is better to have people odding here and there, having the Talibans and the various mafias making fortunes, putting people in jail etc etc,this war on drugs is doing so well as you can confirm being from Perú....
Yeah but it's very unlikely, they don't decriminalize drugs because they make money this way, where do you think the DEA gets their funds and what they get money for? To fight this stupid nonsense war on drugs that is virtually impossible to combat. Pfff, they know they're better off this way making more money+ the cartels work side by side with the authorities. Although, there is hope that one day at least before we die, we will see drugs legalized. At least I really hope so, legal diamorphine 🥰.
xx

Is there some kind of science behind how often one can do a certain opiate without any major wd?

Ive heard about the 3day rule but it also have to depend on the dosing.
The only time ive done it more then 3days in a row was while i was on kratom aswell.
So even if i took 40-80mg per day the withdraws wasnt really that bad since i just upped my kratom dose for a while after.

But now when im clean from kratom im alot more careful if i use oxy.
I dont even enjoy the effects more then 1-2days in a row, the nodding while trying to sleep is nice when you in it.
But im very sensitive if i dont sleep enough so it drains me quick.
I never get more then what ive planned to dose so im doing my best to not be able to fall into a long binge.

Last week i did it from wednenday-Friday, but i did over 100mg per day.
Was quite lethargic on saturday and felt ok Sunday.
However my stomach has been wrecked today and im trying to figure out if its the oxy or the Whisky i drank yesterday 😅

I'd actually like to answer this question again here because I felt like my take was inaccurate. There are objectively people in the world who do not have any affinity for opiate highs. Literally, its not for them and they prefer other substances or complete sobriety anyway. Those who do not psychologically find the thrill in the effects > would most likely never become addicted in the same way that opiate addicts traditionally are. Physical dependency isn't enough to trap someone perpetually in the hellish cycle of addiction.
There are plenty of patients who take the prescribed dosage of painkillers their entire life without ever breaking into higher doses.. So, to answer your question--yes there are people who use responsibly (mainly because the high is whatever for these particular individuals and they don't see any reason to indulge futher). HOWEVER, most people are not that type of person to never grow into an opiate addict. Most of us lose control so far before we even notice... we're in and out of withdrawals still thinking we can stop at any time. Very few people can control their opiate use on the planet. Most, once physically dependent, would absolutely indulge into higher doses or irregular using patterns throughout the day into daily use/addiction. Its better to assume that you will become hooked just to ensure that one knows the chances are always there. Its doubtful the first percocet or line of heroin would instantly turn someone into an addict--but it would introduce a great chance of addiction within your personal life and serve as the catalyst to misery if it does occur. I recommend not recreationally using opiates--even trying them if you have not yet already. There is so much more to life than opiate addiction and those truly in physical pain should regularly be using opiates. Its not a pretty or worthwhile addiction to go through, and it might even be the way many of you die--myself included since there's always the chance for anyone who fancies the wonderfully destructive class of drugs that are opiates.

ALSO: My boyfriend doesn't like opiates at all lol. Even when he was injured and they forced him to take them post surgery he just lacks the proper digestion system to process the high. They make him nauseous, drowsy, and dysphoric. Just relaying that some people aren't born with the affinity for opiates like we think the general pop would be. Really, some people can't digest it at all lol. The endorphins don't quite go to the brain to create that artificial "you did it" mental rush that a normal opiate addict would be drooling upon feeling. Its not for everyone... and I think that people should think that the general population *would* in time become opiate addicts if given the right push/routes, yet there's particular examples that slip through the cracks and don't have the chemistry we do for the chances of opiate addiction to definitely occur.
I have never taken more than my prescribed dose, though tempted from the pain, because I don't want to run out of meds before refill time. I couldn't possibly go even a couple days without my pain meds.

Is there some kind of science behind how often one can do a certain opiate without any major wd?

Ive heard about the 3day rule but it also have to depend on the dosing.
The only time ive done it more then 3days in a row was while i was on kratom aswell.
So even if i took 40-80mg per day the withdraws wasnt really that bad since i just upped my kratom dose for a while after.

But now when im clean from kratom im alot more careful if i use oxy.
I dont even enjoy the effects more then 1-2days in a row, the nodding while trying to sleep is nice when you in it.
But im very sensitive if i dont sleep enough so it drains me quick.
I never get more then what ive planned to dose so im doing my best to not be able to fall into a long binge.

Last week i did it from wednenday-Friday, but i did over 100mg per day.
Was quite lethargic on saturday and felt ok Sunday.
However my stomach has been wrecked today and im trying to figure out if its the oxy or the Whisky i drank yesterday 😅
Once every 20 days+ you're safe. Less than that, you're risking it. Sooner or later you'll end up doing it everyday.

Doing opiates once a week works for a long time. Then it creeps up on you. Takes a long time for your body to begin to change, months, but it happens.
Only thing I could think works, works for me, is to do it once a week but take months long breaks when you feel it catching up.
Since that is so subjective, no, no science.
Every two weeks?

believe it or not there are occasional / recreational users of opiates who inject. Addiction isn't an issue of your means of administration, it's an issue of your personal degree of attachment to the drug.
Agreed, something like drug of choice.

I assumed iv would be a whole different beast then oral. Currently detoxed from ethanol which really had me by the balls