• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Is it possible to use opiates responsibly?

I don't get the K addiction. I took it once while high on MDMA and felt a K hole and it scared the shit outta me I didn't know if I was ever gonna come back but I have done k a couple times after and without THAT intense of a "trip" I literally stuck a straw in a2 gram bag and inhaled LOL I was GONE
Guess we are just wired differently, for me its the ultimate escape from reality.
But i agree that i have a hard time understanding why anyone would like to do it daily for longer times.
I enjoy lower doses for a few days in a row sometimes.
Feels like living in a Lucid dream at the right dose.

But its really hard on the body and really takes me out of my usually somewhat healthy routines.

Opiates i rarely do more then 1-2days in a row at max maybe once every few months.
Usually oxy which is the only one i really enjoyed except real opium.
But it really messes with my sleep at the doses i enjoy.
waking up every 10mins itching like crazy.

I don't get a significant addiction to opiates taken orally, so I think my opinion might be of value. I have taken prescription opiates long term, quit cold turkey and experienced withdrawal I would compare to the first 3 days after you quit smoking weed. This lasted about 2 weeks, but being unemployed, trapped in a house, lacking a social life and any real activities to occupy myself, I doubt I would have even noticed with just a couple of those regards being part of my life at the time.
When I quit tramadol on the other hand, the synthetic opiate with no known recreational effects, it was 22 days of hell with the first 10 being awake for almost all 240 hours. The SSRI effect is widely overlooked, known and testified about on this website. I have read from users that they quit shooting up heroin with tolerable withdrawal compared to quitting tramadol.

Anyway, I think if you take opiates for pain and have an active lifestyle with commitments you will not ignore or place secondary to your usage, it is possible but today often rare.
Prescription opiates Norco did absolutely nothing for my pain, but oddly kratom wipes it right out and the intoxicating dosage feels identical to me when compared to the variety of prescription opiates I have experienced. Kratom in large doses really messes with blood pressure and blood sugar though so I added turmeric, a blood thinner, but believe an aspirin would work better.

I think it is extraordinarily rare for people to use opiates recreationally and maintain a stable personal and professional life. I think it is currently rare for someone to use them medicinally long term without slipping on the slippery slope.
When I was in the hospital with my permanent injuries, tremendous pain and exposure to a poison they couldn't identify, they were also refusing to give me any pain medication including that which I had active prescriptions for. Upon seeing my suffering, another patient dosed me with his fentanyl!
He's telling me he feels crummy, they gave him his fentanyl and for some reason, it's not working then said "hey but how are YOU feeling man?"
My pain was long gone and I had a moderate amount of opiate euphoria. I've been slipped drugs against my will many times, but in this case it was truly an act of kindness. I'm guessing he slipped it in my water or just got it on me; dunno and don't care I was in vicious pain at the time.

I also sensed that this opiate would easily trap me with an addiction as it would anyone else. The intensity and general saturation physically was like taking 3-5x your dose of something like straight Codeine, but without that coldness or rushing effect I've experienced in the past.
Definitely a more peaceful setting in of a high than I experienced with other oral prescription opiates taken to the intoxicating level.
That’s wild about norco vs kratom for you. I found the complete opposite. Kratom wouldn’t touch pain and norco handled it well

None of us are truly using responsibly when its for the feeling and not physical pain relief from most people's perspective.
I always have some pain….what I struggle with a lot is where is the level of pain that warrants an opioid vs just living with the pain.

I could tell myself that I need to feel zero pain at all times….my opioid use snowballs like this even though it’s not a technical abuse

I do believe that they can be used responsibly. Given legal access to something like codeine, oxy-/hydrocodone, heroin/morphine, or oxy-/hydromorphone. The drugs aren't the problem. It is the prohibition. People can opt to use nicotine or alcohol, but not opioids? Makes no sense.

Responding to the title specifically. I will read the entire thread in a little bit. Normally wouldn't do this unless the thread would take me more than a day to read in its entirety, but I have to go somewhere and wanted to get my opinion out before I forget what I was gonna say.

Possible? Yes.
Realistic? Almost no chance in hell.

No matter how well you handle yourself and keep your shit together at the beginning, opiate tolerance will break you. If you IV, kiss responsibilities goodbye because once it starts to become difficult to find a vein to hit, you're going to spend more time in that bathroom than you can imagine until you register. You'll know exactly how long it's taking and that you're blowing off the shit you should be doing. But you won't stop until you've got your fix because if you do, you will not only not be able to function without your mind stuck on getting that shot, but if you wait too long, you're going to get dopesick and then doing literally anything but finding a way to get well is literally impossible unless you are going to just writhe in agony every waking moment until you either give up and use or until you manage to weather a week or so of withdrawals that feel like an eternity in hell.

Don't fuck with opiates. I did plenty of them and spent many eternities in the hells of withdrawals trying to get clean so you don't have to. And I doubt I will ever break the cycle of relapses and the ensuing withdrawals after heavy benders or even months long periods of using before quitting again. I will likely die before I ever see an end to the cycle. And there's a good chance that my death will be because of opiates. I relapsed in February, used fetty and then benzodope every day from the 1st to the 28th, and I OD'd three different times. I don't actually even remember any of it. All I have is what my girlfriend has told me she's seen from me in that time. I also had three huge seizures during the withdrawals because of the benzos.

Every relapse gets worse. Next one is likely to be the last one.

Guess we are just wired differently, for me its the ultimate escape from reality.
But i agree that i have a hard time understanding why anyone would like to do it daily for longer times.
I enjoy lower doses for a few days in a row sometimes.
Feels like living in a Lucid dream at the right dose.

But its really hard on the body and really takes me out of my usually somewhat healthy routines.

Opiates i rarely do more then 1-2days in a row at max maybe once every few months.
Usually oxy which is the only one i really enjoyed except real opium.
Take antihistamines with it when i first started heroin i would itch like crazy in my sleep in the morning when taking shower the shampoo would sting now i just get a lovely itch on nose and neck

Take antihistamines with it when i first started heroin i would itch like crazy in my sleep in the morning when taking shower the shampoo would sting now i just get a lovely itch on nose and neck
Thanks for the tip, however i think its better to have some side effects that works as a natural stop sign so i dont take more then needed.
If a drug is too good and have no drawbacks then it will increase the risc of abuse ime.

Thanks for the tip, however i think its better to have some side effects that works as a natural stop sign so i dont take more then needed.
If a drug is too good and have no drawbacks then it will increase the risc of abuse ime.
No arguments there my brother but you sound like you only did it a few times every couple of months so I thought to help you with the itching. Your getting the most out of it small dose keep you set couple of days only making it a habit is hell take it from me and other people here

I've tried a few rc opis I got as free samples and honestly I found them all between meh and kinda ok. AH-7921 (just made me feel nasty), butyr fent (felt ok, but nothing special), 4f butyr fent (same as butyr fent), U-47700 (made me feel nasty), o-desmethly tramadol (felt pretty good but nothing special) and pharma tramadol (felt kinda like o-dsmt). And even the ones that made me feel kinda good, had way too much nausea and itchiness. Tbh, I have no desire to try any more. Pyros and stims in general were also another thing I've never found very enjoyable.

On the other hand I would take ghb/benzos/dissos all the time if I could. And I had few moths where I binged on 5-apb/6-apb/5-mapb/mdma for days in a row. I don't remember feeling bad when I stopped. I wonder if emphatogens would still work ok for me if I tried some now :)

Also, my mom gets tramadol (very weak opi but still) for back pain and takes it very rarely, she always had leftover from her script.

I realize this is a dumb question but figured I’d get some input anyway. I am not talking about mainlining heroin because obviously that is irreversible. My main thing is I really enjoy a fewpercocet every so often and have been debating whether or not I can moderate my use. When I travel abroad I can often get it OTC and I love the buzz I get from around 10-15mg. I know this spells trouble but I don’t really give a shit I guess. Lately I have been back in the US where I can’t get it so I haven’t been using. But every once in a while I think back on the phenomenal feeling I get. Anyway, just wanted to get info from others.
Yes you can. Even after maintenance treatment, even after Bad addiction.
I use tramadol, oxycodone, methadone, buprenorphine in some occasions and have not been addicted in many years. (I prefer stimulants over opioids anyway)

It's possible to use any drug responsibly. I've known plenty of people who have an occasional cigarette or even one a day.
That's the exception though, so the question is how likely responsible use is, not if it's possible.

How much you want to do it is a big factor as well.

Very good points. I would ascertain I’m responsible since I’m able to stop like you mentioned.
I have to use mine responsibly or risk running low or out before refill time. I take norco 10s for savage nerve pain from damage caused by transverse myelitis. I remember taking a few extra when I was only taking it for RA and the buzz was nice, especially with a vodka cran but no more. Now I'm too terrified of the pain to risk taking more.

Yes you can. Even after maintenance treatment, even after Bad addiction.
I use tramadol, oxycodone, methadone, buprenorphine in some occasions and have not been addicted in many years. (I prefer stimulants over opioids anyway)
Sweet jeebus, you must have had some great connections to have had access to all those meds.

I'd actually like to answer this question again here because I felt like my take was inaccurate. There are objectively people in the world who do not have any affinity for opiate highs. Literally, its not for them and they prefer other substances or complete sobriety anyway. Those who do not psychologically find the thrill in the effects > would most likely never become addicted in the same way that opiate addicts traditionally are. Physical dependency isn't enough to trap someone perpetually in the hellish cycle of addiction.
There are plenty of patients who take the prescribed dosage of painkillers their entire life without ever breaking into higher doses.. So, to answer your question--yes there are people who use responsibly (mainly because the high is whatever for these particular individuals and they don't see any reason to indulge futher). HOWEVER, most people are not that type of person to never grow into an opiate addict. Most of us lose control so far before we even notice... we're in and out of withdrawals still thinking we can stop at any time. Very few people can control their opiate use on the planet. Most, once physically dependent, would absolutely indulge into higher doses or irregular using patterns throughout the day into daily use/addiction. Its better to assume that you will become hooked just to ensure that one knows the chances are always there. Its doubtful the first percocet or line of heroin would instantly turn someone into an addict--but it would introduce a great chance of addiction within your personal life and serve as the catalyst to misery if it does occur. I recommend not recreationally using opiates--even trying them if you have not yet already. There is so much more to life than opiate addiction and those truly in physical pain should regularly be using opiates. Its not a pretty or worthwhile addiction to go through, and it might even be the way many of you die--myself included since there's always the chance for anyone who fancies the wonderfully destructive class of drugs that are opiates.

ALSO: My boyfriend doesn't like opiates at all lol. Even when he was injured and they forced him to take them post surgery he just lacks the proper digestion system to process the high. They make him nauseous, drowsy, and dysphoric. Just relaying that some people aren't born with the affinity for opiates like we think the general pop would be. Really, some people can't digest it at all lol. The endorphins don't quite go to the brain to create that artificial "you did it" mental rush that a normal opiate addict would be drooling upon feeling. Its not for everyone... and I think that people should think that the general population *would* in time become opiate addicts if given the right push/routes, yet there's particular examples that slip through the cracks and don't have the chemistry we do for the chances of opiate addiction to definitely occur.

Last edited:
I'd actually like to answer this question again here because I felt like my take was inaccurate. There are objectively people in the world who do not have any affinity for opiate highs. Literally, its not for them and they prefer other substances or complete sobriety anyway. Those who do not psychologically find the thrill in the effects > would most likely never become addicted in the same way that opiate addicts traditionally are. Physical dependency isn't enough to trap someone perpetually in the hellish cycle of addiction.
There are plenty of patients who take the prescribed dosage of painkillers their entire life without ever breaking into higher doses.. So, to answer your question--yes there are people who use responsibly (mainly because the high is whatever for these particular individuals and they don't see any reason to indulge futher). HOWEVER, most people are not that type of person to never grow into an opiate addict. Most of us lose control so far before we even notice... we're in and out of withdrawals still thinking we can stop at any time. Very few people can control their opiate use on the planet. Most, once physically dependent, would absolutely indulge into higher doses or irregular using patterns throughout the day into daily use/addiction. Its better to assume that you will become hooked just to ensure that one knows the chances are always there. Its doubtful the first percocet or line of heroin would instantly turn someone into an addict--but it would introduce a great chance of addiction within your personal life and serve as the catalyst to misery if it does occur. I recommend not recreationally using opiates--even trying them if you have not yet already. There is so much more to life than opiate addiction and those truly in physical pain should regularly be using opiates. Its not a pretty or worthwhile addiction to go through, and it might even be the way many of you die--myself included since there's always the chance for anyone who fancies the wonderfully destructive class of drugs that are opiates.

ALSO: My boyfriend doesn't like opiates at all lol. Even when he was injured and they forced him to take them post surgery he just lacks the proper digestion system to process the high. They make him nauseous, drowsy, and dysphoric. Just relaying that some people aren't born with the affinity for opiates like we think the general pop would be. Really, some people can't digest it at all lol. The endorphins don't quite go to the brain to create that artificial "you did it" mental rush that a normal opiate addict would be drooling upon feeling. Its not for everyone... and I think that people should think that the general population *would* in time become opiate addicts if given the right push/routes, yet there's particular examples that slip through the cracks and don't have the chemistry we do for the chances of opiate addiction to definitely occur.

Exactly. It’s just an unnecessary risk to take, and the risk to benefit ratio is way off. If I could go back opiates would be the one drugs I’d not try. Cocaine has been hell for me too but I still don’t regret that one?…

So much of my life has been consumed by opiates. I also feel it makes connecting with others difficult, it’s not a good road to go down unless your terminal and lonely.

-GC

For some people? Yeah, some people can use opiates responsibly. But I can't recommend enough not to tempt that fate. I have used about every drug there is... and the biggest regret of my life is ever trying opiates recreationally. My life has been irrevocably changed for the worse because of that decision that I made over 20 years ago. I had some fun times in the beginning, sure. But they added nothing to my life, and left me with a debilitating addiction that has spanned over 20 years, and has brought me immense amounts of pain and hardship. Nothing has ever been less worth it, and I wish every day I could go back and tell my younger self to fuck off with that stupid hubris I had, believing I couldn't be stupid enough to become an opiate addict.

I have taken prescription opiates long term, quit cold turkey and experienced withdrawal I would compare to the first 3 days after you quit smoking weed. This lasted about 2 weeks, but being unemployed, trapped in a house, lacking a social life and any real activities to occupy myself, I doubt I would have even noticed with just a couple of those regards being part of my life at the time.

Whaaa? Lucky motherfucker, you are. Maybe it's just because of my extensive experience with opiate withdrawal, but I've never noticed anything even remotely resembling withdrawal from weed. Opiate withdrawal is infinity times worse than anything I've had from weed. I hope you count your lucky stars because damn... if opiate withdrawal was even like 50 times worse than weed "withdrawal" for me, I'd be off of opiates like 4 years ago.

I LOVE that itching! Before I got on suboxone, I did a "last hurrah" and bought a pound of poppy pods (which turned into 6 or 7 pounds, of course), and I absolutely adored getting high as hell and getting in bed, and drifting in and out of sleep all night. I mean I didn't get much real rest, but I'd nod out and have morphine dreams, and the itching would stop me from going unconscious, so I could nod out dozens of times over the course of the night. If I had fallen asleep, I would have just slept through it, what fun is that?

yea I mean im taking out loans I won't oaky back and ruining my credit to get them but lol

Been there man. I was 45k in loan debt in 2014, had to declare bankruptcy, but I did ibogaine first and gort 5 years clean, it was the best 5 years of my adult life. Bankruptcy was my get out of jail free card, without it, I would have owed $1,150 a month in minimum payments, which wouldn't have gotten paid off for about 30 years. Sadly I relapsed literally ONE TIME, and the opiate craving came back, and within months I was doing opiates every day again and now I'm on suboxone. :\ But since I'm on suboxone, it costs me $10 a month for my "habit". I still regret every day that I had that weak moment (my dad was dying, it was the last time I was going to see him and my mom, for some reason, handed me an almost empty bottle of his morphine prescription to throw away... I was feeling unbearable levels of emotional pain and anxiety at the time and I took the rest before I threw it away, before I even thought about it. Up until then I had no cravings at all, I 100% believed I was never going to take another opiate again as along as I lived).

Of course if I had declared bankruptcy before I did ibogaine, I would have just gone into debt again, without a get out of jail free card.

For some people? Yeah, some people can use opiates responsibly. But I can't recommend enough not to tempt that fate. I have used about every drug there is... and the biggest regret of my life is ever trying opiates recreationally. My life has been irrevocably changed for the worse because of that decision that I made over 20 years ago. I had some fun times in the beginning, sure. But they added nothing to my life, and left me with a debilitating addiction that has spanned over 20 years, and has brought me immense amounts of pain and hardship. Nothing has ever been less worth it, and I wish every day I could go back and tell my younger self to fuck off with that stupid hubris I had, believing I couldn't be stupid enough to become an opiate addict.

Whaaa? Lucky motherfucker, you are. Maybe it's just because of my extensive experience with opiate withdrawal, but I've never noticed anything even remotely resembling withdrawal from weed. Opiate withdrawal is infinity times worse than anything I've had from weed. I hope you count your lucky stars because damn... if opiate withdrawal was even like 50 times worse than weed "withdrawal" for me, I'd be off of opiates like 4 years ago.

I LOVE that itching! Before I got on suboxone, I did a "last hurrah" and bought a pound of poppy pods (which turned into 6 or 7 pounds, of course), and I absolutely adored getting high as hell and getting in bed, and drifting in and out of sleep all night. I mean I didn't get much real rest, but I'd nod out and have morphine dreams, and the itching would stop me from going unconscious, so I could nod out dozens of times over the course of the night. If I had fallen asleep, I would have just slept through it, what fun is that?

Been there man. I was 45k in loan debt in 2014, had to declare bankruptcy, but I did ibogaine first and gort 5 years clean, it was the best 5 years of my adult life. Bankruptcy was my get out of jail free card, without it, I would have owed $1,150 a month in minimum payments, which wouldn't have gotten paid off for about 30 years. Sadly I relapsed literally ONE TIME, and the opiate craving came back, and within months I was doing opiates every day again and now I'm on suboxone. :\ But since I'm on suboxone, it costs me $10 a month for my "habit". I still regret every day that I had that weak moment (my dad was dying, it was the last time I was going to see him and my mom, for some reason, handed me an almost empty bottle of his morphine prescription to throw away... I was feeling unbearable levels of emotional pain and anxiety at the time and I took the rest before I threw it away, before I even thought about it. Up until then I had no cravings at all, I 100% believed I was never going to take another opiate again as along as I lived).

Of course if I had declared bankruptcy before I did ibogaine, I would have just gone into debt again, without a get out of jail free card.
how could you owe that money though? its just 400 here 1 thousand there....I am a full addict, I wake up to 120mg then another 60-120 at lunch and 120-2o0 for dinner... it sucks cause it dissent even really work