• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Is it hard for others when your realization is that death is final?

*nods*

Wanting to avoid the state of pain is not the same as wanting to avoid the state of death. One concerns our physical body, the other is a metaphysical/spiritual state.

Actually, I'd much rather be tortured alive than die. Even if I'm in severe pain, I still can feel. At the time, I'll tell myself "I DONT WANT THIS. SO KILL ME." But if I think about it, even during or before/after, I would rather be alive and suffer torture than die.

And torture is related to death, as torture causes pain, and pain is a warning signal for death.

Ah, but thanks for the lesson. Another grounding on Earth.

^^ uh, i wonder if you'd actually do this; it is very easy to make this argument theoretically

Exactly

But what about being so angry at someone you say things like "I wish he would break a leg" or something to that degree. Do you really mean that? Do you want that person to feel pain? Meaning: exaggerations? Or true representations?

I believe that when you die you cease to exist. I do not want to believe this because it is scary and extremely depressing. It makes everything seem so pointless. I feel that nothing we do in life matters and it does not matter what happens because we are all going to die. We live for a few decades then have an eternity of not existing. I am constantly thinking about it and it is very unpleasant.

I wish that I could believe that our consciousness would live on after our bodies die. Maybe someday I will become delusional enough to believe that. I think I would be a happier person if I believed in an afterlife or reincarnation.

Tryptamine*Dreamer said:
I believe that when you die you cease to exist. I do not want to believe this because it is scary and extremely depressing. It makes everything seem so pointless. I feel that nothing we do in life matters and it does not matter what happens because we are all going to die. We live for a few decades then have an eternity of not existing. I am constantly thinking about it and it is very unpleasant.

I wish that I could believe that our consciousness would live on after our bodies die. Maybe someday I will become delusional enough to believe that. I think I would be a happier person if I believed in an afterlife or reincarnation.

But if there is an after-life, how long does that last? does it go on forever?? or for a certain amount of time, then you move into somethnig else?

The thing that scares the absolute shit out of me is if there is an after-life and it is never ending. What if you want it to end? I'm sure if your still existing (in whatever form) in a million billion years you might just want it to end and lose awareness but you cant?

nickspurs said:
But if there is an after-life, how long does that last? does it go on forever?? or for a certain amount of time, then you move into somethnig else?

The thing that scares the absolute shit out of me is if there is an after-life and it is never ending. What if you want it to end? I'm sure if your still existing (in whatever form) in a million billion years you might just want it to end and lose awareness but you cant?

I do not think that I would want it to end unless my afterlife was one of eternal torture, like hell or something. If we are reincarnated every time we die then there would be so many things that we could experience. Each life would be something different. And we would probably have no memory of the past lives so it would not get boring.

I think reincarnation would be more likely than some kind of heaven or hell.

The thought of not existing is just horrible to me. I want to live forever and if I still exist 100,000,000,000,000,000 years from now I don't think that will change.

originally posted by johnmortons

what is life worth if it is infinite?

it's much more valuable if it is scarce;

I'd say you hit the nail on the head...but if there is an after-life, then we can't assume that our attitudes would remain the same existing in such a state. A child can identify with the idea that eternal life would be a good idea. Perhaps the idea that 'life lastig forever wouldn't be so good after all' is just a cynical attitude resulting from our adult determination to just 'deal with life'.

xxuxx said:
if there is an after-life, then we can't assume that our attitudes would remain the same existing in such a state. A child can identify with the idea that eternal life would be a good idea. Perhaps the idea that 'life lastig forever wouldn't be so good after all' is just a cynical attitude resulting from our adult determination to just 'deal with life'.
Bingo...

Some of us here might only not like the idea of an afterlife purely because life on Earth really isn't crash-hot. Sure it has its ups and downs, but it's not perfect. Maybe, just maybe, an afterlife could be, and thus we might not be so afraid of a bleak existence that will go on "forever".

Ok I throw this quote around everywhere on bluelight but it is one of my favourites, and sums up my feelings on the issue fairly well.

"In the end you may find there's no guiding subtle light, no ancestors or friends, no judge of wrong or right, just eternal silence and dormancy, and a final everlasting peace."

- Bad religion, Pity The Dead.

I don't fear what's after death because I don't believe it will be too much different to sleep, without dreaming.

It is hard to get one's head around the fact that one day "I" will not exist. However I find the prospect more interesting than alarming.

Yeah i am not really too bothered if there is nothing after death because i won't know about it anyway, but if there is something, there is a chance it could be bad so i would be quite happy if there was just nothing.

There are two major views on death:
1. We live life, get old and then we die. This is final stop of our journey.
2. Life is infinite.

Which one is making you feel better? It’s your call.

sexyanon2 said:
And torture is related to death, as torture causes pain, and pain is a warning signal for death.

.....what if there was a person where pain was one of the only things that made them feel alive? Yet were very afraid of death? ...and vice versa.

You're welcome for the lesson :\

Why would I fear the inevitable? I actually take some comfort in the idea that life simply ends, and I will cease to exist after I die.

Most, if not all, religions seem to be based upon being rewarded in an afterlife because the particular rules of that religion have been followed during life. If there is no afterlife then I cannot worry about my own life and actions.

Death being final is a great thing, and gives me the feeling of freedom. If I were to die then I would not be conscious or able to think, meaning I couldn't possibly regret anything. Life is just a long stretch of time with no meaning to me, which is there just to be enjoyed. No matter whether I achieve anything or not, that is not my goal at all. What matters to me is enjoying myself and feeling happy and content throughout my life.

But even if I spend the entire time miserable, it doesn't matter at all.

I don't really understand how I must fear nothing if I don't fear death. I have a set amount of time and I'm going to use it. I will be cautious, so as it doesn't end prematurely (I'll look both ways when I walk across a road etc) but when it comes, what is the point of being afraid?

Pain is not a warning signal for death at all. If I walk into a table is my body telling me I'm going to die? No. It's telling me that it's probably a bad place to put a table. Pain is meant to be unpleasant, it's designed that way. If pain was all fun we'd be running into tables everywhere and nobody would think to move them.

I don't associate pain with death. My death, if it goes as planned, which most things in life really won't, especially something as important as this, will be painless.

For those who believe in reincarnation, doesn't that mean that they have lived an infinite number of lives before? Is that fear of living forever justified then? Oh, wait, you don't remember ever living before. So it seems that you'd just be reborn continually and do the exact same thing, never really accomplishing anything grand. And would it be possible to become your own son or grandson? That would be amusing.

It's interesting that when people die, some apparently see Jesus. So, they believed in this 'prophet' and therefore he exists. If I believe strongly enough in any random dead psychotic (I mean this original prophet, Abraham, but come on... In this age if someone was telling you he had visions of God's message he'd be heavily sedated and kept out of harms way in a small padded box) then will he suddenly appear to me when I die? 8)

Why would you want to live forever anyway? What possible reason could you have?

Last edited:
Thank you, Dexter, for your level headedness and modesty.

Or a masochist perhaps?

There are exceptions to every generalization and normality. Pointing out a few does not disqualify a generalization, it only disqualifies rules or mathematical proofs.

Ugh. I'm ashamed of myself.

I apologize for any hostile or provocative remarks. Mainly the modesty remark. The level headedness was more of an ironic joke, but I apologize for that as well.