• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Is it hard for others when your realization is that death is final?

I'm 19. I know death is inevitible and don't fear it.

But there's a hell of a lot I want to get done first, and to die young would be a disappointment - but on the other hand, what's there to *be* disappointed in the first place?

Death is an transition a passing into the next realm, a good way to look at things is to imagine your dying on your death bed, and ask your self , did i do with my life what i intened, am i happy with what i achieved, and if you have not then do it! i think the fear of death is not acomplishing what you set out to do.

applesbliss said:
Ever since I was young, I've thought obsessively about death being 'final'. When I was six years old I would ponder in bed at night before falling asleep how after I died, death would be final. That I would never exist in any way again.

Well until you do die, you will never know what happens to your soul, or if there is an afterlife. And when you do find out, only you will know. Now that you've made me think about it, it's pretty scary, possibly being a non entity after you die:\ .

Thanks a lot for some great replies, seriously. I might add later but for a while I think I'll just dwell on some of the thoughts already mentioned in here. :)

Ever since I was young, I've thought obsessively about death being 'final'. When I was six years old I would ponder in bed at night before falling asleep how after I died, death would be final. That I would never exist in any way again. I'm talking about everything that comprises 'me' (or anyone) -- right now

(Napoleon voice)LUCKY!!!!!!!!!

So thats what you thought about at night at 6?

no boogy man under the bed?

no vampire looking in your bedroom window?

mummies werent out in the kitchen eating your cocoa puffs?

no invisible-green predator swinging from hanger to hanger in your closet?

The good thing about these monsters is the fact that they are fiction.sure we all had nights like the examples i listed above where you wound up on the floor of your parents bedroom hoping you wake up and sneak out before they made fun of you.Any reasonable parents would right? because these monsters are fantasy.....they arent coming to get you unless you tell yourself they are......and your going against your loving parents guidance when you get scared about them.....as they have assured you they dont exist.not only that your grandparents will tell you the same thing....those monsters arent going to come after you,they arent real.in fact,ANYONE who cares about you(sans the youngest or most obnoxious uncle of the fam)will tell you you are safe.there arent any monsters to be worried about.

::sigh of relief:::(predator still swings through the trees outside my house:( )

now i on the other hand had a much different thought process going on laying in bed at night like apples when i was six.

actually lets take it back to age 3 or 4.

I'm an agnostic son of a southern baptist preacher.He was raised by the daughter of another southern baptist preacher.and while my father was young and still working as a laborer....i was being raised during the day by his mother.....a woman who was born in the smallest backwoods town in tennessee and raised by the most backwoods redneck pastor youve ever seen hold a spit cup.

I was in what we call "sunday school" here in the states 3 years before kindergarten.This is basically a religious form of pre-school except its funded by offerings during church services therefore they couldnt afford ice cream for the ice cream cones so they decided to put pudding in them(wtf).

If i wasnt in sunday school....i was with her....listening to some kind of bible story,her telling it exactly how she was told at my age in some run down shack in tennessee.now i mentioned earlier that the good thing about monsters is the fact that they arent real,and your family will assure you of this.you can feel safe.

except one........and to a 3 yr old.....who sounds scarier? a guy with big teeth and a cape? a guy wrapped up in band aids? how about the fucking Devil

"The Devil is always out to get you.he wants you to burn with him forever....remember when i told you not to touch that stove and you burnt your finger? think about that all over you entire body forever.he has horns and hoofs and he is the most evil thing that ever existed and all he wants is you.he has been hiding out watching you since the day you were born and he wants to take you to a pit of fire you will never ever escape.He is laughing at you right now.can you hear him laugh?(oh by the way jesus died for your sins)"

The age you are indoctrinated in my opinion is probobly one of the most important things when it comes to religion/spirituality alot of us didnt need to hear the story o noah's ark because we had already c o l o r e d him and his boat along with a couple of each animal.a three or four year old like i was can never overcome that.there is a thread over in CEP about a three yr old being raped and what its going to do to her mind.if we obviously view such a young age as capable of being altered mentally forever by something at so young....how many "believers" out there fear this devil...this real monster that your family who loves you CONFIRMED (yes he is after you) because it got to them so early?

like i said im agnostic by definition....and due to this thousands of ideas seperate my family and i as well as thousands of interstate miles.I dont have any religion in my life right now...it doesnt come up in my daily life....i havnt seen a bible since i left home and im pretty happy about the way i look at life and the world now.but when you talk about death......death being forever.....i cant help but seeing that devil whos been waiting for me...i dont belive it....but the three yr old boy who still lives inside me does.thats why i dont like to think about death.i think about life.....because that is all i want to experience.i have found joy in the fact that that is all i have to experience.

but hey if im wrong and he is down there when i get there....i cant wait to tell him that eventually predator was scarier.

(btw great thread apples,lots of good replies)

Last edited:
^^^ One of the more amusing childhood anecdotes I've read here, kubenzi =D

I have an interesting perspective on this, because I'm working in a nursing home. All of the residents have more or less come to terms with the fact that they're at the end of their lives. Some seem like the pleasant jolly old grandparent types. Others are the grumpy crotchety old fart types.

What's the difference? After talking with many of them, as well as our chaplain, I've noticed what separates the two groups. The content old people tend be unafraid of death, and also seem to be the ones who are proud of the way their lives panned out. I get the sense from them that if they had the chance to do it all again, they wouldn't do it any differently. On the other hand, the bitter older people tend to be the most fearful of dying. They're also the ones with the most regrets!

I think the secret to being unafraid of death is to find closure in all you do. To tie up all loose ends, finish all unfinished business, and never let any golden opportunities pass you by. Live your life in a way that you would be happy to repeat the exact same way.

Another way to say this: have no karma when you reach the end of your life. By karma, I mean it in the original Indian philosophical sense of obligations owed to you and by you. Settle your accounts. Buddhists and Hindus believe that one can only escape the cycle of rebirth if this zeroing of karma has been achieved before the end of one's days. It makes a lot of rational sense, I think. If one is practiced at finding closure to all the small matters that make up a life, finding closure to the whole enchilada is not a big deal.

Live with the illusion that closure isn't necessary or even acheivable, and you will find old age hell, and death a very scary prospect.

mezcalene said:
Death is an transition a passing into the next realm, a good way to look at things is to imagine your dying on your death bed, and ask your self , did i do with my life what i intened, am i happy with what i achieved, and if you have not then do it! i think the fear of death is not acomplishing what you set out to do.

That is a beautiful way of looking at it. However, it is possible that you could die in an airplane crash, a flaming automobile wreck, or a natural disaster, etc. Your death could be instantaneous. In that case, you would not be able to reflect back on your life.

You can only reflect back on your life while living.

nothing's ever final, we're all in constant movement. nothing's static. nothing. something happens, it always does. trust in the process.
it's given you everything.

does anyone else consider it possible that our conscious' dont live inside our heads? or even this dimension wher that matter? dont' get me wrong, I personally believe that death most likely is final, and have accepted that and live my life accordingly... as full as I can.

But I can't deny the possibility of what I call "the second 99%" i don't know what it would be, or how it would work... but i think when I die I'll be more excited than worried or upset. :D

in answer to the thread title, most people seem to start defensively defining the validity of their own opinions... which is pretty much why I stopped sharing mine. still... i learn alot that way :D

I don't know. I think heaven as it's traditionally pictured in Western mythology would become torture fairly quickly. You have to take the bitter with the sweet in order to appreciate the sweet. Nothing but sweet tastes bland, and bores you to insanity, making you chase higher and higher thrills. Or just fuck up on purpose to break the monotony. Heaven is not a very well thought out corner of our collective unconscious :\

I'm much more for the idea of rebirth in another form, eons of time and light years of distance from now.

' Is it hard for others when your realization is that death is final?'

i wouldn't be so sure...

the material life of man is but the blink of an eye to his greater existance.

I believe that when you die it is final for your conscious mind but that parts of you do "live on". The human brain and body are only animated through electrical charge. Electricity is part of the huge energy that powers our universe.

That energy returns back to the Earth once your physical body can no longer sustain it. Energy never "dies" it simply changes form.

We all share this energy, it is the same energy that powers the core of our Sun and Earth. It is the same energy that holds atoms together, gives us light and heat. It is the one thing that binds us all.

Spooky Mulder said:
I think its just as scary to live forever.......It's like there is no end.

I find it scary that ANYTHING could go on forever. I think i believe that there is life after this one and the one after that but what terrifies me is that that could go on forever...... and forever never ends! What if you get tired, what if you get fed up.... forever never ends........ there is no release......
I dont know, I suppose I just dont think that death is the end (how can you just be nothing?) but im afraid of what still being something will bring.

Death is something you cannot comprehend until it happens. We'll all find out sooner or later.

^everyone 'witnesses' death, what else could dying be? you feel it, and then you know your gone.

TReNDY said:
I find it scary that ANYTHING could go on forever. I think i believe that there is life after this one and the one after that but what terrifies me is that that could go on forever...... and forever never ends! What if you get tired, what if you get fed up.... forever never ends........ there is no release......
I dont know, I suppose I just dont think that death is the end (how can you just be nothing?) but im afraid of what still being something will bring.

That is EXACTLY what scared/s me. I had this thought (which i will explain in a trip report later) at the end of a hippie flip: i got thinking that because i now exist, i will exist forever, how can i not exist. I just could not imagine me not eisting, i would always be and what if i got bored and tired of living forever and ever never coming to an end and just going insane because there was no release. It was horrible, and i had to snap myself out of thinking that. I hope that it is nothing after death which surely not be too bad beause you would not be conscious of not existing so its not a 'bad' thing or if there is something after death i hope it is something good as i'm sure everyone would hope!