Completed Internet Survey for Prescription Drug Abuse 2010

Done, but it's so focused on just opoids :-/ wouldn't have bothered if i knew that - it was a well designed survey, but just asked almost all about a class of drugs i don't like.

Agreed, not because its was about a class of drugs I dont like but rather it focused so much on one class.

If you think about it though, the majority of prescription abuse is opioid related so that would explain the strong focus towards it.

I did this, I should have read here first though --- from the first few questions I didn't think it was going to be based on opiates, which I don't abuse, but still gave accurate information for the sake of science, as always.

Hi all,

FYI, Inflexxion is aware of the issues with the browser crashes. Please try to use the most recent versions of whatever browser you're using and know that there may be issues with smartphone browsers. FYI, here is the message I received from them on the topic:

Hi SG,

I hope you are doing well. Just a quick update. As of today 88 people have started to take the survey and only 47 have completed it. It looks like a lot of participants are looking at it but aren’t completing the survey.

We have been following some of the conversation and there has been a lot of feedback, which we appreciate. Most posts are about browsers crashing. The issue from what we can see is that people need to upgrade to the latest version of javascrip and use the most recent version of IE, Chrome, or Firefox. However, we think the javascript update is more important.

They should not use their phones to do the survey-e.g., someone people tested it here and had trouble with their Iphone and Itouch. Maybe the newest Droid and Iphone 4g are fine, I am not sure though.

Please let participants know that they need a current version of explorer or firefox.

Please let all your users know that Inflexxion appreciates everyone’s participation in this survey and we are glad to have their feedback. We will try to incorporate new ideas and suggestions into future surveys.

Thanks.

Inflexxion Research Study - Prescription Drug Abuse

Welcome to the Internet Survey for Prescription Drug Abuse

CONSENT TO PARTICIPATE IN A RESEARCH STUDY
Study Title: 2010 Internet Survey for Prescription Drug Abuse
Principal Investigator: Thomas Eaton, Ph.D.
Sponsor: Actavis Pharmaceuticals

Purpose:
The purpose of this study is to learn more about how and why individuals use prescription drugs for non-medical reasons. The study is being conducted by Inflexxion, Inc.

Wouldn't they be using what they learn to try and develop pharmaceuticals that are more difficult to abuse and have less potential for non-medial recreational use? I don't see how this survey would benefit the BL community of recreational drug users.

I would advise against taking this IMO. All this survey is going to achieve is making it slowly more and more hard to get prescription drugs. Whether we need them medically or use them recreationally, surveys like this will make them harder to obtain. The more people say that they abuse OxyContin or whatever, the more strict the rules are on doctors prescribing it.
Maybe the government should just get it in their head that people are always going to use drugs, no matter what they do to try to stop it, all changing laws on prescription drugs will do is raise the market on "hard drugs" like heroin, cocaine, ect.
If they really cared about our lives, and what were abusing then the government should start regulating alcohol more closely. IMO alcohol is the worst drug out there; however it will never be illegal again because the people in the government, and our political leaders love to drink their booze.
You really want to make a difference in drug abuse, crack down on use of alcoholic products, and add more rules to the sale of it. They stopped showing cigarette commercials on television; why not stop glorifying alcohol with the commercials they show all over mainstream television 24/7.

I would advise against taking this IMO. All this survey is going to achieve is making it slowly more and more hard to get prescription drugs. Whether we need them medically or use them recreationally, surveys like this will make them harder to obtain. The more people say that they abuse OxyContin or whatever, the more strict the rules are on doctors prescribing it

Actually, this effect can work both ways. What if this study finds that many people take perscription opioids only occasionally or less harmfully than was anticipated? Can we really anticipate the results of a study beforehand?

The other thing worth noting is that Inflexxion is supporting Bluelight and Bluelight is supporting Inflexxion. If you think Bluelight is worth supporting, then we'd appreciate your support by completing this survey. If you think Bluelight is worth supporting - but you don't want to complete this survey, perhaps you might consider donating some money to Bluelight to assist its operations into the future?

It's a free world and no-one is forcing anyone to complete a survey. However, this is an easy way to support Bluelight, especially for eligible people who don't have the funds to directly donate. IMHO =D

Since they say they are keeping track of the discussion and say feedback is appreciated, I want to comment on this:

HAs of today 88 people have started to take the survey and only 47 have completed it. It looks like a lot of participants are looking at it but aren’t completing the survey.

In response, I'm going to quote a reply that was just posted in OD with regard to the study:

Yeah the last section is a killer and extremely redundant. They should have at least let just pick the top 5 you would use again or something rather than forcing you to rate all of them for a second time in an even more tedious manner.

There's your drop-off right there...

...I'm hope everyone still takes this to support BL and to hopefully show what a resource we truly are. It is not that bad, just hopefully in the future time will be taken to test for user-friendliness before being released! Surely some quality control could have pointed out that the age is asked for twice in the beginning, at least!

Last edited:
it wont let me do it every time i enter my birthdate it says i havent answerd :S and yes im over 18

Done.

The ranking was a bit of a pain in the ass. Really slow on my computer.

I'm stuck on the drag-and-drop question. It's just too unresponsive and is freezing my browser (IE 8.0.6). I might try again on firefox when I get home tonight. :(

Edit: Done, finally. The second two questions could have bene combined into one though; as noted the format of the last one wasn't well implemented. Also is there really a need to ask the age of the survey taker when they've already provided their date of birth?

Just some comments to consider for future surveys :)

Last edited:
done.

especially for eligible people who don't have the funds to directly donate. IMHO =D

unfortunately i fall into this category for now. with christmas and my sons b-day coming up money is really tight right now. i will definitely make some future donations though.

I'll leave this open and do it when I get back from dinner. How does Inflexxion support Bluelight? Are they donors?

As for people wondering if this might be counter-productive for recreational drug users to help "the enemy" - declaring war on accurate information is the prohibitionists' game, not ours. People in positions to crack down on drug use, spend money trying to replace perfectly good medications because there's a risk somebody enjoys them, etc. will do so no matter what surveys like this say. It's the people advocating liberalization and reform who desperately need any and all credible sources they can find to back them up.

Besides, I can't imagine that our honest feedback will tell them anything 'scary' about prescription drug (ab)use they didn't already know/assume; if anything, this survey will probably paint a much rosier picture of prescription drug users than studies that do not actually poll said users directly. There's a lot of misinformation in favor of prohibition and criminalization out there in the available literature now. Every honest, truthful study that comes out helps drown out the lies and make the job of the propagandists that much harder.

How does Inflexxion support Bluelight? Are they donors?

Sonofa.... I could have sworn this was outlined somewhere, but even I can't find it right now. :\ To answer the question - yes, significantly. One of our ex-admin and long standing good guy for the site, Sebastians_Ghost, has contacts in the research community and was able to connect Inflexxion's need for honest feedback from drug users with out community. In return for sending them survey applicants, they provide some of their research funding as a donation to help keep bluelight afloat. So, it's a win-win for both sides in this. That said, there is the intent to build on this, and recent other, surveys with Inflexxion to increase the awareness of the Bluelight name and site within the researcher community and in return improve our cash flow to depend less on donations (though they will always be welcome) but more importantly provide us the capital to ensure we remain here for our harm reduction goals long into the future, making improvements for the site and it's members along the way. :) So yes, they are donors.

Actually, this effect can work both ways. What if this study finds that many people take perscription opioids only occasionally or less harmfully than was anticipated? Can we really anticipate the results of a study beforehand?

The other thing worth noting is that Inflexxion is supporting Bluelight and Bluelight is supporting Inflexxion. If you think Bluelight is worth supporting, then we'd appreciate your support by completing this survey. If you think Bluelight is worth supporting - but you don't want to complete this survey, perhaps you might consider donating some money to Bluelight to assist its operations into the future?

It's a free world and no-one is forcing anyone to complete a survey. However, this is an easy way to support Bluelight, especially for eligible people who don't have the funds to directly donate. IMHO =D

Alright , I'll take the survey. I was just in a bad mood when I wrote that, and I guess it showed a little. But I really like having this site available, it's so helpful IMO, and I definetely want to support keeping it up and running.

Alright , I'll take the survey. I was just in a bad mood when I wrote that, and I guess it showed a little. But I really like having this site available, it's so helpful IMO, and I definetely want to support keeping it up and running.

Glad to hear it - and it's cool, no offense taken... I understand a lot of people automatically assume research will be negative. Drug Studies aims to open up people's minds to the positives :)

Mods/Admins...have you guys considered making sticky threads in forums, or one that gets moved from forum to forum a la the 10 Year Meetup thread? This survey is easy as hell and putting it right in peoples faces would help to get more takers. It's a pretty cool survey. I like how they have pictures of the pills and the drag-and-drop section

:D