Completed Internet Survey for Prescription Drug Abuse 2010

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Hi everyone,

The following is a link to our latest survey with Inflexxion. The survey is now OPEN.

On behalf of myself and the entire Bluelight staff, I thank you in advance for your completion of these surveys. Your participation goes a long way in helping us keep Bluelight alive and growing!

Best Regards,

SG

Inflexxion Research Study - Prescription Drug Abuse

Welcome to the Internet Survey for Prescription Drug Abuse

CONSENT TO PARTICIPATE IN A RESEARCH STUDY
Study Title: 2010 Internet Survey for Prescription Drug Abuse
Principal Investigator: Thomas Eaton, Ph.D.
Sponsor: Actavis Pharmaceuticals

You are being asked to take part in a survey being run by Inflexxion, Inc. Before you agree to take part, please read this form carefully. This form describes the study, and your rights and responsibilities as a study participant. Ask any questions you have about the study. Be sure you understand what everything means.

Purpose:
The purpose of this study is to learn more about how and why individuals use prescription drugs for non-medical reasons. The study is being conducted by Inflexxion, Inc.

Participant Responsibilities:
You will take an online survey that will ask you questions about the types of prescription drugs you have used, the reasons you have used them, and where you got them. The survey will take you about 30 minutes to complete. You must be 18 years of age or older to participate in the survey.

Benefits:
Although there are no direct benefits to you, by completing this survey, you will be helping researchers to better understand which prescription drugs are popular to use (and misuse) and the ways in which they are misused.

Possible Risks:
The main risk to you in participating in the study is a breach of your confidentiality. Even though we will not collect any of your personal information, there is always some risk to confidentiality when you send data over the Internet. You may be observed by someone standing next to you or electronically, especially when using a university-based, employer-based, or public computer system. One way to protect your privacy is to complete the survey on a personal home computer in a private place.

Voluntary Participation:
Taking part in the study is voluntary. You have the right to refuse to take part in this study or to withdraw from the study at any time without penalty. The researchers reserve the right to stop/discontinue your participation in the study at any time and for any reason. In addition, New England Institutional Review Board (NEIRB) may stop the study.

Payments:
You will not be paid for your participation in the survey.

Costs:
It will not cost you anything to be in this survey.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

EDIT by TLB - This survey is done!

Hello everyone. :) We got word last night that we have satisfied their needs for completed surveys. I've changed this title over to 'Writing Up' and taken down the banner. We're working on getting their 'donation' moved over to pay for our 2011 site funding needs, so thank you one and all for your help in keeping the site online, above and beyond the help you've provided researchers in this study.

thank-you.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
lol, one of the questions is "do you visit drug web forums (for instance: bluelite.ru or erowid.com)"

The question is relevant, because we're helping them recruit applicants for the surveys - it benefits them AND us to know this aspect of their responses. For them, it can encourage them to work more with communities like ours for recruitment purposes. For us, it shows how much we can really do for them in .... which may lead to more donations keeping our site afloat. These types of questions are relevant and important. It's fine if you find humour in them, and in finding it I'll take it you have completed the survey - so THANK YOU :D Every response we can send their way helps everyone.

The question is relevant, because we're helping them recruit applicants for the surveys - it benefits them AND us to know this aspect of their responses. For them, it can encourage them to work more with communities like ours for recruitment purposes. For us, it shows how much we can really do for them in .... which may lead to more donations keeping our site afloat. These types of questions are relevant and important. It's fine if you find humour in them, and in finding it I'll take it you have completed the survey - so THANK YOU :D Every response we can send their way helps everyone.

I think mymindisgoo might have been laughing at the spelling of bluelight ;)

IMO, it's definitely important to track where you are recruiting from, otherwise how else do you know what worked? It is something a lot of surveys completely neglect, so I'm glad Inflexxion are doing it.

Although, a more accurate way to do it is to program your survey software to track the referral link (that is, from what website did this person arrive at the survey?). This method is likely to be a bit more accurate too. :)

hahaha i didn't even notice my misspelling, it was probably me lol. it was just an interesting question but i see the point it in now

Done, but it's so focused on just opoids :-/ wouldn't have bothered if i knew that - it was a well designed survey, but just asked almost all about a class of drugs i don't like.

Done. I think the survey could be much better though if they allowed you to explain what medication you prefer for pain relief specifically. I haven't used medication recreationally for more than a decade and so many meds on this list didn't even exist back then. I wish they gave you the option of making a list of your favorite meds for pain OR for abuse. Those who don't abuse could choose to fill out the one for pain relief and those who do abuse could fill out the one for abuse.

I filled mine out for what I hypothesize I would potentially use for abuse based on how I felt when I took them. Morphine gives me more of a 'high' feeling than oxycodone but oxycodone works better for my pain. So, if I wanted to get 'high' I would choose morphine and if I wanted to have some pain relief I would choose oxycodone.

I mention it just incase the company doing the survey reads this thread. Not everyone on BL is abusing drugs. BL is just and amazing resource for anyone who uses meds for ANY reason. They're incorrect to assume that everyone that's a member is a drug abuser.

I'd hate to think that they use the results from survey's like this in order to make it so that the meds that really work well for pain are altered just so that people won't abuse them. We're all adults on here and I see no reason that adults shouldn't be able to use anything they want for any reason they want so long as they aren't hurting anyone else.

This is a great idea though--for Bluelight. I don't have any $ to give so I feel good about being able to do something that helps the site. I assume there's a lot of people who would like to contribute to helping BL but have to do so in a way other than giving money.

Post more survey's BL! It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to feel like I can finally give back to the website that's helped me and countless other people.

I'm copying this from the thread on this in OD:

The only criticism that I have of this is that the two ranking pages are redundant, and the second one has a serious user-friendlyness issue if the list is long.

For someone like me who has taken like 90% of what they have listed, ranking the first time was tedious enough... The second ranking where you have to drag them individually in order could have been omitted or at least improved so that it is functionable. Only 10 medicines fit on the right (at once, even with the browser as big as possible from pressing F11), yet the list on the left is long and requires lots of scrolling to view top to bottom. Scrolling and dragging across a long page does not work so well.

Is there anywhere I can contact them with this feedback? I'm sure some people are lost from this second issue because it is really difficult to complete. I almost didn't complete it just because it was so nerve-wracking to try to drag things onto that list. The order of the list surely suffered as well since I had to work so hard just to drag each picture over.

For the record, it was 39 items on my list. It was going very slow to drag all of the items, not to mention the problem with dragging across a few page-lengths... I know I'm not alone on this because I'm using a brand new computer on a fast connection, and also because it was reported by someone else (OD thread)...

I'm just posting this in hopes the feedback gets to the study creators...

Last edited:
Done. I'm going to have to agree with Pegasus, i only had about 18 different choices and the second ranking page was a pain in the ass, i can't imagine having most of them selected.

For the record, it was 39 items on my list. It was going very slow to drag all of the items, not to mention the problem with dragging across a few page-lengths... I know I'm not alone on this because I'm using a brand new computer on a fast connection, and also because it was reported by someone else (OD thread)...

I'm just posting this in hopes the feedback gets to the study creators...

Yes my browser would crash each and every time I got to that page.
I do hope that they manage to correct this fault as I'd really like to be able to do this.

^You're not alone; I'm getting negative feedback from most everyone that is trying to complete it (regarding that drag-and-drop portion of the survey...)

Monstanoodle, if you give me your answers (like the drugs written in order, mainly) and age and birthdate (while I'm on this topic, why on earth ask for my birth date and then two questions later, ask me my age?!), as well as the first three of your zip code and your state... I can fill it out for you. I know you've obviously tried hard and I will assist you with getting it done if you just give me the information!

Last edited:
Uh-Oh...thank you for the feedback, we'll see if we can address it immediately with them!

It seems to be a function of how the survey software was set up (the use of the images, in combination with the sorting mechanism of the software). There isn't much that can be done with this particular survey to improve it; however they will look into improved performance going forward. Thank you for bringing it to our, and their, attention.

For the rest of you, please don't let it deter you from responding honestly about your drug use and preferences. They need real numbers that they can't get otherwise, so your time is greatly appreciated by them, and by us. Thank you.